Close
Photo

Red Herrings Done Properly in Shows, Games, Books, Movies, Etc.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • Interests:Writing

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

This is gonna be an interesting topic that came to my mind cause I was in the middle of rewatching the first X-Men movie and I caught on to something I didn't really catch onto until now. So as many of you may remember if you've seen X-men, you get the sense of notion that Magneto was after Wolverine until you get to the train sequence where Magneto was like "Whoever said I was after you." and quickly looked directly at Rogue.  And there is a key scene between Iceman (actually Mystique) and Rogue about using abilities which causes her to leave the mansion and head to the train station. This, I believe is a great way of misleading the fans from Bryan Singer's part unlike with how the "red herring" bs that Kishi claimed towards NS. 

So I'm curious what  red herrings have you guys seen that were done properly whether in a show, book, movie, video game, etc?   

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#2 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:12 PM

A good red herring?
I don't know if this could qualify as redherring.

Wreck it Ralph villain is actually the character who tought to be dead.
When the revelation come out I become wow.

#3 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

I think you mean "Narrative Feint". Outside of that, the author deliberately disrespects his/her fandom.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

#4 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:49 AM

I think you mean "Narrative Feint". Outside of that, the author deliberately disrespects his/her fandom.

Who's this author?

#5 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

Who's this author?

I think this also is a reference to how Kishi keeps saying NaruSaku was a red herring when he's so full of crap we can smell it, and it erupts from his mouth XP

#6 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

Who's this author?

Sorry.. I was responding to Chi's open thread post. My point is to any author in general that pulls of a Kishi red herring and admits that they were deliberately misleading their fans since from the begin of the story's creation.

Edited by Konoha'sCrimsonFox, 16 December 2015 - 10:57 AM.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

#7 SlyNinjaKnight

SlyNinjaKnight

Loyal Follower of the OTP of Naruto

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Fandoms: Naruto, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Star Wars and others.

Wish that Kishi would just stop trying to 'fix' Naruto, I guess that no one ever told him the phrase 'digging your own grave'. I will remember fondly the characters that made me love Naruto that were sacrificed at the all-mighty altar that is money (and crazy fan boys/girls).

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

I don't know if this would be considered a true 'red herring' but to me, JK Rowling's portrayal of Harry and Hermione's relationship in Harry Potter is proper example of an author writing a relationship that wasn't to be. You can even say that JK Rowling went to far because she has said that she actually had to change the later books to get back on the Ron/Hermione track of the original plot. 

To me, that's also a perfect example of how characters can change and evolve throughout a story and how they can drive a story even if you plot it out to pretty much every minute detail.

#8 Hanabi

Hanabi

絶対大丈夫だよ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:cardcaptor sakura!

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

school-live! it was done so well that i love the character, and the little hints gradually became more and more obvious in the later episodes

Edited by Hanabi, 17 December 2015 - 12:35 PM.

2UFqbUS.gif

I can't even say good bye to you for the last time

I'm sorry

#9 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

The One True Demi-Goddess of Misfortune

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, things, people.

https://twitter.com/Huldra_Nix

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

FF7, is the single most amazing well done Red Herring i've seen. You go through the game think YOU are in control and that YOU are Cloud, the game play itself is set to make you believe all that, and whoopsie, some self realization comes along, and it turns out, "you" ( as in Cloud.) were never really in control at all, you're nothing more then the puppet. Your strings get cut, disk two rolls around and the ability to make choices for the character stop, because he's no longer under control.

Its a real WTF, OMG. realization. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611991db478fd57f4321b
                                         Pls shame me for procrastinating.  :argh: 

#10 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

In the Outlaw Star episode "Final Countdown", a terrorist group uses a red herring to its fullest extent. They set up an elaborate plan to crash an advertising ship rigged with a bomb into Heifong with its independence as the ransom. As it turns out, this was just a plan to evacuate the city so that the "terrorist group" (which is more like a group of petty, if clever, thieves) can loot the empty city without fear of being caught. Unfortunately for them, the main characters catch on to this ruse and show them what for.

In Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Jordan Pryce is obviously supposed to make the viewer think he's the Joker in disguise. He has similar features and the same voice actor.

I don't know if this would be considered a true 'red herring' but to me, JK Rowling's portrayal of Harry and Hermione's relationship in Harry Potter is proper example of an author writing a relationship that wasn't to be. You can even say that JK Rowling went to far because she has said that she actually had to change the later books to get back on the Ron/Hermione track of the original plot. 

To me, that's also a perfect example of how characters can change and evolve throughout a story and how they can drive a story even if you plot it out to pretty much every minute detail.

To be fair, I actually call this a "happy accident." Sometimes, whether you intended or not, things can work out so well that people assume something that isn't. Sometimes too well. I don't think Harry and Hermione was the intention, but the fact that their characters worked just so well together that people just shipped them because of that.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 12 March 2016 - 01:44 PM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users