• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

It has been anounced a new Sailor Moon adaptation premiered next summer in celebration for 20th anniversary: Link

I find the news interesting. Sailor Moon was HUGE back in the nineties, and even though it is not my favorite series, I like better than many newer series.

It also popularized the Warrior Magical Girl subgenre, mixing it with super sentai shows. Although that is how most of current fans see the genre, the majority of magical girl series had been something completely different until then. The only magical girl animes I can think of, where the main character used her powers to fight against something in a daily basis, and were created before Sailor Moon are Cutey Honey and Majokko Megu-chan (respectively a shonen manga and a shojo manga).

I wonder if this adaptation will follow more closely the original manga. The ONLY thing the old anime series had over the manga was the art. The original manga was better in everything else.

Perhaps Takeuchi will be more involved to ensure there will be no idiocy such like changing the characters' personalities or the Sailor Stars issue?

Anyway I hope it renews interest in the series and introduces it to a new generation of anime fans.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#2 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

YUS.

Always loved Sailor Moon. Twas the first anime I ever watched.

New Super-Awesome-HD-Effects Henshins FOR THE FREAKIN' WIN!

#3 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

I once picked up a volume of Sailor Moon translated into English, and it changed Usagi's name into Bunny. Hopefully, something like that doesn't happen with the dub of this.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#4 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE (KonaKonaFan @ Jul 10 2012, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I once picked up a volume of Sailor Moon translated into English, and it changed Usagi's name into Bunny. Hopefully, something like that doesn't happen with the dub of this.

Isn't that an accurate translation of the name though?

It seems far more common now to keep the Japanese names and not translate them to English equivalents. When I first saw it on TV I had no idea of Japanese origin. It was treated like an America cartoon (the episodes were not even shown in order).

#5 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:37 AM

Yep I already knew about it it's coming next year I'll be looking forward to the reboot maybe this time they will stick to the manga.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#6 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jul 10 2012, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't that an accurate translation of the name though?

It seems far more common now to keep the Japanese names and not translate them to English equivalents. When I first saw it on TV I had no idea of Japanese origin. It was treated like an America cartoon (the episodes were not even shown in order).

Is it? I dunno, it just seems silly to use it.

#7 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

Usagi means rabbit. But imo I won't change a characters name if translating to another language.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#8 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (KonaKonaFan @ Jul 10 2012, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it? I dunno, it just seems silly to use it.

Yeah Usagi means rabbit, so bunny was better then Serena.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#9 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

According ancient Japanese myths, the Moon is inhabited by rabbits.

Tsukino Usagi means "Moon rabit".

So there you go.

YUS.

Always loved Sailor Moon. Twas the first anime I ever watched.

New Super-Awesome-HD-Effects Henshins FOR THE FREAKIN' WIN!

I'm glad of you liked the old show and you are thrilled over this news.

However I'm afraid I could not care less about HD effects. I am more interested about how the story will play out than about the animation style. I would rather they sticked closer to the manga.

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#10 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

Guys, I get that Usagi means rabbit, I just think Bunny sounds silly as a name.

#11 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Guys, I get that Usagi means rabbit, I just think Bunny sounds silly as a name.

I just mentioned the bit about the moon rabbbit in case someone did not know and find that bit of lore interesting.

I do not disagree about it being a silly-sounding name -it is-, but it also was translated like this in my country, so I got used to it. Moreover, the rest of the sailor senshi also were renamed, and their "new" names were worst, believe me.

#12 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jul 11 2012, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just mentioned the bit about the moon rabbbit in case someone did not know and find that bit of lore interesting.

I do not disagree about it being a silly-sounding name -it is-, but it also was translated like this in my country, so I got used to it. Moreover, the rest of the sailor senshi also were renamed, and their "new" names were worst, believe me.

I thought it was interesting, I just thought it was weird that others were repeating the same point. Maybe it's that I'm more used to Serena and Usagi. And I definitely believe you.

#13 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

I just thought it was weird that others were repeating the same point.

I thought they were only talking about the name change.

Moving on. What do you think about the remake? What would you like see? Or NOT see?

#14 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

This'll bring back memories. This show and the Ocean dub of DBZ in the states is what got me started on anime when I was young. I'd stick with Usagi if there is a dub and not do Bunny. Although since I wasn't super tied to the show or the manga, I was fine with Serena and princess Serenity. And I actually liked the english voice actress for Sailor Moon when she was serious and had to do dramatic stuff. I felt she hit the mark.

Is it a reboot, re-mastering like DBZ Kai or new story? For more avid fans, do you want it to be a new adventure or did you prefer they just accurately animate the manga? If it's a new adventure what would you like to see be done? I never stuck around long enough to figure out what eventually happens to the team in the anime. I know in the manga Usagi and Momaru get hitched. In the anime or even in the manga, were this unresolved issues you'd like to see come to a head here?

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#15 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jul 11 2012, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought they were only talking about the name change.

Moving on. What do you think about the remake? What would you like see? Or NOT see?

Sure.

If nothing else, it's nostalgia. Like Jo, it was my first anime, so I'll check it out. My interest wasn't what it was, but I'm curious. I've heard of the differences between the original and the manga, so it's be new for me if they were truer to the manga.

#16 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

I think it is a remake.

I would prefer they kept the sailor senshi personalities how they were in the manga: Usagi being less of a crybaby and growing into a competent, serious leader... Ray never being boys-crazy... Usagi and Mamoru actually suspecting about each other early on...

I would not mind if they kept the Monster Of The Week format, but maybe they should consider making longer arcs instead of episodic stories. Nowadays people does not seem liking a lot Monster of the Week shows.

It is not my favorite anime but it is one of my favorite shojo. I have good memories of watching it in the middle nineties, even if my interest is not what it was either.

#17 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

I am so excited for this! I still write Sailor Moon fanfiction, and the fandom could surely use the new jolt of life this remake will bring, along with all new fans =D

Sailor Moon was one of the 'gateway animes' as they're called tongue.gif
The three animes that introduced America to this classic Japanese phenom - Sailor Moon/Dragon Ball Z/Pokemon

#18 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

I am so excited for this! I still write Sailor Moon fanfiction, and the fandom could surely use the new jolt of life this remake will bring, along with all new fans =D

It would be nice, and it will surely bring batches of new fans, but remakes, reboots and sequels seldom are so successful like the original series. Shin Mazinger, Dragon Ball Kai, Captain Tsubasa J... Neither of them have been so popular like the show created the franchise.

Sailor Moon was one of the 'gateway animes' as they're called
The three animes that introduced America to this classic Japanese phenom - Sailor Moon/Dragon Ball Z/Pokemon

Yes. Back in the late nineties when I checked anime fansites for fanfiction, some people raved about Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, Evangelion... But those three series were the most famous and most popular, even among people was not into anime.

Although every time people calls DB "DBZ", even if they are talking about the manga or the whole series, I wonder if they (I am talking generally, not telling that is what you do) do not know or care about the story before the arrival of Raditz... If I am not mistaken, the "DB" part of the anime was not broadcast in USA at the beginning, right? Maybe it is because it people tends to overlook it or calling the whole series DBZ? A pity because I liked more the show when Goku was a kid.

Back onto Sailor Moon. I do not care for most of the current animation styles -including overuse of CGI-, but I did not particularly loved the style of the old show. So I wonder if I'll like more or less the newer show's animation.

#19 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jul 11 2012, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be nice, and it will surely bring batches of new fans, but remakes, reboots and sequels seldom are so successful like the original series.

Truly I'm just excited for a new series based on my fave 'magical girls' of all time who kick some serious a$$ ;3

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jul 11 2012, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although every time people calls DB "DBZ", even if they are talking about the manga or the whole series, I wonder if they (I am talking generally, not telling that is what you do) do not know or care about the story before the arrival of Raditz... If I am not mistaken, the "DB" part of the anime was not broadcast in USA at the beginning, right? Maybe it is because it people tends to overlook it or calling the whole series DBZ? A pity because I liked more the show when Goku was a kid.

I believe any fan of 'DBZ' is also well aware of the original Dragon Ball series when Goku was a kid. Personally for me though that original series doesn't interest me much at all. There is just something about watching an adult Goku slowly leveling up his skills, from a runt who could barely beat Raditz without help, then getting his a$$ handed to him by Vegeta after a long drawn-out fight, to him finally gaining enough power to literally wipe the floor with part of the Ginyu Force, to him going Super Saiyan all over Frieza's loser a$$ like a boss! That single episode where Goku goes Super Saiyan for the first time still gives me shivers to this day. Hands down my fave ep of all time =D

#20 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jul 11 2012, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it is a remake.

I would prefer they kept the sailor senshi personalities how they were in the manga: Usagi being less of a crybaby and growing into a competent, serious leader... Ray never being boys-crazy... Usagi and Mamoru actually suspecting about each other early on...

I would not mind if they kept the Monster Of The Week format, but maybe they should consider making longer arcs instead of episodic stories. Nowadays people does not seem liking a lot Monster of the Week shows.

It is not my favorite anime but it is one of my favorite shojo. I have good memories of watching it in the middle nineties, even if my interest is not what it was either.

I guess however, that plays in Japan. I don't mind monster of the week, but I always felt I got more out of having arcs rather than episodic formats.

I had heard Minako and Rei was supposed be best friends in the manga and it never really came through in the anime. As my two favorite characters, it'd be kinda nice to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users