12 replies to this topic

#1 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:13 AM

I'm on a EEEPC901, with an intel Atom processor.

I'm trying to find the upper limit the cpu temp... so far I've gotten up to 71 celcius. Friends of mine told me anything past 70 can potentially ruin your cpu and motherboard.

SO.

If there's anyone here that has a netbook/laptop, what's the highest temp reading you can get before the motherboard turns off your computer for safety? Thanks!

#2 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ May 5 2010, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm on a EEEPC901, with an intel Atom processor.

I'm trying to find the upper limit the cpu temp... so far I've gotten up to 71 celcius. Friends of mine told me anything past 70 can potentially ruin your cpu and motherboard.

SO.

If there's anyone here that has a netbook/laptop, what's the highest temp reading you can get before the motherboard turns off your computer for safety? Thanks!

I don't know how you can check it because past 70 celcius is very hot and it shuts off my computer everytime it reaches past its temperature limit. I recently bought a computer fan so it can cool down my laptop each time I use it. Ever since then, no sudden computer shutdowns due to temperature limit. happy.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#3 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

What the heck is computer temperature limit...? I have a laptop, so is it only for computers...?

It's a Dell... But once I was on it for 24 hours straight (Don't ask...) and it never shut off...

Edited by ShippudenGirl, 06 May 2010 - 01:41 AM.

#4 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:39 AM

@ Derocky- I was looking at external fans... expensive lol. My CPU only gets to 70 when playing 3D stuff. I guess it's just the warm weather. D:

@ShippyGirl - CPUs will get hot whenever you use it, and when your cpu gets too hot, it shuts down the computer so it can prevent from your cpu or other parts from getting fried...which is why desktops have large heatsinks and fans to keep CPU temps as low as possible. Netbooks/Laptops have considerably smaller fans and heatsink (sometimes they dont even have a fan!), to save space and battery power...but the end result is that the cpu has a potential of getting too hot when you're running cpu-intensive programs (video games, photoshop, multiple programs open at the same time).

Nothing weird about laptops staying on all night...I do that when downloading pr0n torrents. XD

#5 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ May 5 2010, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing weird about laptops staying on all night...I do that when downloading pr0n torrents. XD

I sometimes leave my laptops on for days on end downloading "torrents" XD

JLHza2T.png

#6 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:47 AM

The highest my claptop ever go was 50-55 degrees and it works just fine without any external fan. my Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite LP500 (decent but not exactly impressive) then again, I don't use it for things other than minor gaming and doing my schoolwork

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#7 Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Sometimes I get to poetic for my own good!

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Reading Fanfiction and video games(lately it's only being the former)

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

Had a similar problem with my laptop, the thing would just get too hot, had to take it to the shop. Turns out it was just dust but heck it made the computer shut down from just how hot it would get. And turns out my laptop is like a vacuum cleaner when working with intensive programs. DANG IT I PAYED FOR A LAPTOP NOT AN EXPENSIVE VACUUM CLEANER.

#8 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Whirlpool-Maelstrom @ May 8 2010, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had a similar problem with my laptop, the thing would just get too hot, had to take it to the shop. Turns out it was just dust but heck it made the computer shut down from just how hot it would get. And turns out my laptop is like a vacuum cleaner when working with intensive programs. DANG IT I PAYED FOR A LAPTOP NOT AN EXPENSIVE VACUUM CLEANER.

You should have seen my old desktop... it sucks dust BETTER than a vacuum cleaner even... don't ask how...

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

#9 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ May 6 2010, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ Derocky- I was looking at external fans... expensive lol. My CPU only gets to 70 when playing 3D stuff. I guess it's just the warm weather. D:

Expensive? They cost about at least $20 for a cooling fan.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#10 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:26 PM

That depends on which fan you're looking for Derock, $20 usually are crappy end of the line for external cooling fans. The decent ones usually goes from $50 and above.

#11 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

My temperatures has reached a peak at around 94C, which actually made the plastic dent. I decided that was too hot, so I cleaned my CPU fan and the tiny heatsink (TINY) and now I'm around 65C when doing heavy work. Make sure to keep the fan free from oily hair and crap, because if it doesn't run... well, it works badly. CPU's can get over 71C without it killing off components, but you don't want your computer too hot anyway.

This might help

#12 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (Vyse @ May 9 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My temperatures has reached a peak at around 94C, which actually made the plastic dent. I decided that was too hot, so I cleaned my CPU fan and the tiny heatsink (TINY) and now I'm around 65C when doing heavy work. Make sure to keep the fan free from oily hair and crap, because if it doesn't run... well, it works badly. CPU's can get over 71C without it killing off components, but you don't want your computer too hot anyway.

This might help

too bad that link doesn't have atoms. DD:

I googled it... and from what I've seen, I think atoms have a limit of 80 degrees... so I guess I'm good biggrin.gif

#13 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

I've got a Sony Vaio Laptop but I usually keep it on my legs and I've never felt it so hot that I wouldn't stand holding it. I think it has reached 55 Degrees. Anyways, laptops have a lil crappy fans, so buy a GOOD one, no matter the cost! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users