Egypt in Crisis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

It's weird to me because I've never really thought of Egypt as a place where it's citizens were so oppressed that they would start to revolt and have violent protests:

Unrest in Egypt

Internet cut

Protests grow

#2 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the links. I have some Egyption in me and I heard something abou this thanks.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#3 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

You didn't know? Revolting against their own governments is a national past-time for Egyptians. Hell, even when they're under another country they're still not satisfied. This will simmer down by itself, don't read too much into it (This is assuming, of course, America does not intervene. Twenty bucks says they do, just like in Tunisia.).

#4 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

I agree with you america will probolly go over there and so something. yes.gif

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#5 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (Fyuria'sLeo @ Jan 28 2011, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with you america will probolly go over there and so something. yes.gif

Do what? I think America should worry about itself first, before marching soldiers into a country and "doing" something.

We already have enough dead heroes.

#6 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jan 28 2011, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
heroes.

Debatable.

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jan 28 2011, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do what? I think America should worry about itself first, before marching soldiers into a country and "doing" something.

Send in agitators of course. Tunisia has already been taken down, and next is Egypt. Oh, and America hardly worries about itself when it sees opportunity standing in its way. It entered World War II late in the game so that it could take advantage of the worn-out British Empire and to remove the Germans from their spot of power, and it continued to buy up huge amounts of influence in Europe until the countries are now basically organized into a huge sphere-of-influence [EU] for America to keep tabs on. Hell, the Germans did not want a single thing to do with Iraq or Afghanistan when it knew we had absolutely no plan for either, but it was eventually forced to go to one [Afghanistan]. Have you not noticed how stead-fastly almost every European nation followed Bush during his 'prime' in office, but immediately turned their backs on him at the very end? That wasn't political convenience against Bush, that was disgust with us as a whole. America's politicians and people don't really care about 'worrying about itself first', we have clearly shown we are willing to eat ourselves to death. Hell, we have entire channels and programmings dedicated to FOOD AND EATING!

#7 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

OOPS!!!!

Well in our defence Egypt is one of five countries who has not signed the Chemical Weapons Convention so they just went nuts and used expired stuff which you aren't really supposed to do. In truth the stuff was from 2008 it could've been sold years ago.

Also I'm just going to go with TEAM LOCAL CONDITIONS. Talked with Egyptian students at college you try living in a country when the average person is under thirty and works for less than two bucks a day comes back from international college and finds no hope. You'd revolt too, except in America everyone's becoming armed.

Also Egypt is a vital US ally since Carter brokered peace between them and Israel, anytime Egypt even revolts the world will worry because they have this thing called the Suez Canal, so this is a chance to make up for past mistakes like the last country we gave huge foreign aid to in the region that had a revolt against a strongman leader *COUGH*Iran*COUGH*. Just walkin' the tightrope again. However I do think that the protesters formed a human chain around the Cairo museum until the army arrived to defend it was pretty awesome.

@Yoshi DON'T CRITICIZE MY MAN VS FOOD!!! wot.gif

Edited by Insurrection, 29 January 2011 - 09:02 AM.

#8 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

So they bought it in the United States...isn't this the same as.

Colombian Police fire on protesters made with guns labeled "Made in Kansas, U.S.A"

Shouldn't we blame the men behind the weaponry and not the weaponry itself?

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#9 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:40 AM

Funny thing Is no one really can blame the guns themselves, thats like blaming a paper weight for blunt forced trauma.

That said though the proliferation of a thing that has one sole purpose which is to kill, is easilly blameable on the patently ridiculous notion that adding more of them to the mix makes the problem go away.

its the equivalent argument that adding gasoline to a fire is the best solution because the fires allready burning.

These revolutions are happening because the Rich haves are forgetting the lessons painfully learned in russia and france, by the rich there. When you have a haves and have nots, and the havenots have no hope of ever becoming a have save vague assurances that if you work hard enough everything will be better. The have nots will eventually and inevitably turn against the haves.

This eradication of the middle class here is a prime example of the warning signs that precede such revolutions. Mubarak is making the same mistakes prior dictators before him have and is behaving predictably similar. Hes relying on force and the truncheon to maintain order.

this as always leads to blow back and makes him newer enemies.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#10 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (catsi563 @ Jan 31 2011, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny thing Is no one really can blame the guns themselves, thats like blaming a paper weight for blunt forced trauma.

That said though the proliferation of a thing that has one sole purpose which is to kill, is easilly blameable on the patently ridiculous notion that adding more of them to the mix makes the problem go away.

its the equivalent argument that adding gasoline to a fire is the best solution because the fires allready burning.

These revolutions are happening because the Rich haves are forgetting the lessons painfully learned in russia and france, by the rich there. When you have a haves and have nots, and the havenots have no hope of ever becoming a have save vague assurances that if you work hard enough everything will be better. The have nots will eventually and inevitably turn against the haves.

This eradication of the middle class here is a prime example of the warning signs that precede such revolutions. Mubarak is making the same mistakes prior dictators before him have and is behaving predictably similar. Hes relying on force and the truncheon to maintain order.

this as always leads to blow back and makes him newer enemies.

Maybe if the havenots stop listening to the haves, and use they're money to invest into they're own ideas. Maybe just maybe the havenots will become the haves, because we need to remember that a lot of haves, either didn't came from have's grandparents. Or they grew up in havenots neighborhoods.

The havenots need to realize that violence and the destruction of law will only create more havenots, and may make it even worst to those havenots that have decided not to participate in they're acts, and that putting it a Robin Hood to take from the haves and give to the havenots, will only take from the haves, make them havenots, and give it to himself.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#11 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

Ah, so we're playing the tightrope game I see. We do have a close relationship with Egypt's military, however we have to play this like a chess player. If the army sides with the Protesters my guess is we start publicly saying Mubarak's out and then we rush in to help rebuild the government if the chaos continues. Clinton came close to saying that today, however it's only time now.

While we're on topic of regime change in the region, if this works and Egypt has regime change then other's will rise up. Economically for the world having total regime collapse in the world's oil market, that ain't good.

Other then that we have no power over the situation as people demand that we have, unless we get the military to betray the president in which case we piss off the Saudi royals and the Jordanians.

This situation currently is that as Strangelove suggests, a vicious circle.

(Also people break into the Cairo Museum and don't steal anything, just rip off the heads of mummies. WWWWWHHHHYYYY?)

Edited by Insurrection, 31 January 2011 - 06:24 AM.

#12 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jan 31 2011, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, so we're playing the tightrope game I see. We do have a close relationship with Egypt's military, however we have to play this like a chess player. If the army sides with the Protesters my guess is we start publicly saying Mubarak's out and then we rush in to help rebuild the government if the chaos continues. Clinton came close to saying that today, however it's only time now.

Walking that tightrope:

http://news.yahoo.co..._egypt_analysis

And Google gets involved:

http://news.yahoo.co...stgoogletwitter

Good move on their part.

#13 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:02 AM

Chaos has overtaken the streets. The government has paid for a plain clothed mob to attack the protesters to try to make an excuse to disperse them. Anderson Cooper and other journalists have been directly targeted by pro-Mubarak, time's up dude.

Edited by Insurrection, 03 February 2011 - 04:03 AM.

#14 Hopestar

Hopestar

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Interests:Food: Asian (specifically Japanese)
    Religion: Christian
    Sports: Golf, Tennis, Rowing/Crew
    Hobbies: Finance, Politics, Books, Fine dining, video games
    Music: Rock

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:58 AM

Well unless any of you are going to fly there and give them assistance then ignore it and mind yourselves. They can fix their own issues without foreign assistance. If you are American, Japanese , or European there are far more issues that you need to concern yourself and the economy is one of them.
[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]
Let light be our guide towards victory
Whenever there's despair there's a darkness, whenever there's hope there's a light and it's up to us to bring in that light.

#15 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE (Hopestar @ Feb 2 2011, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well unless any of you are going to fly there and give them assistance then ignore it and mind yourselves. They can fix their own issues without foreign assistance. If you are American, Japanese , or European there are far more issues that you need to concern yourself and the economy is one of them.

Unfortunately we can't ignore it

1) They're one of our best allies in the region and we give their army 1.3 Billion dollars a year
2) This could cause a domino effect throughout the region with other states
3) Egypt controls the Suez canal vital for world trade, it is a major Arab state and member of OPEC, if the domino effect spreads more throughout the region then Oil will spike and the global recovery stalls.

Oil is now at $103 a barrel during one of the worst winters in years over fears from this.

Anything can effect the economy. Even fear.

AND WHY THE HELL ARE NETWORKS GIVING AIRTIME TO A RADICAL CLERIC WHO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SITUATION!?!

Edited by Insurrection, 03 February 2011 - 05:37 AM.

#16 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Hopestar @ Feb 3 2011, 04:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, what we have here is a dictator who has ruled for 30 years, and he's clearly using violence to try and silence a peaceful protest.

At least 300 people have been killed.

So you're saying that we should just ignore all that and worry about our wallets instead? That's just cold and heartless.

Besides, if you only want to worry about money, Insurrection has already posted some good financial reasons why you should be concerned about Egypt.

Mubarak is clearly someone who will do anything to cling to power, and I fear that he would be happy to let his country burn as long as it kept his arse on the presidental seat. There is a faint glimmer of hope in the fact that the Egyptian army doesn't want to attack innocent people, but they're also reluctant to publicly go against Mubarak.

I'm afraid things will get worse, now that Mubarak has lit the blue touchpaper. We might even see an Egyptian civil war.

#17 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Feb 3 2011, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, what we have here is a dictator who has ruled for 30 years, and he's clearly using violence to try and silence a peaceful protest.

At least 300 people have been killed.

So you're saying that we should just ignore all that and worry about our wallets instead? That's just cold and heartless.

The sad thing is there are a LOT of people (mainly Americans/mostly Republican Americans) who think like Hopestar. If you read some of the comments associated with the articles I posted it would chill your soul at how cold, heartless, and most especially racist some of the people out there are toward Egypt and its people.

#18 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

I'll just drop in my 2 cents on this matter. What I think Hopestar is saying is that you shouldn't try to interfere at all because you guys already have a pretty bad reputation in the Middle East. Marching straight there would probably make the situation worse because extremists would pounce on this chance to attack and say "Americans are trying to Invade us!!!" and therefore Egypt will fall into hard-line Islamists' rule.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#19 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

Good response catsi. The US political instability rating is actually pretty high for that very reason. We are close ourselves to this kind of political uprising. You won't hear this on the US news media because they are all owned by big corporations, not just those that are on the right but the fauxgressive news media too: New York Times, MSNBC- this is why you hear constant stuff about the faux economic recovery- wall street numbers, fake underreported unemployment numbers- the true unemployment numbers haven't changed and are still over 20%- this is Great Depression levels. (and pre French Revolution as well)

Another news link for news from Egypt, and more comprehensive:

http://english.aljaz...5548860929.html

They've been running a live stream as well for at least this past week.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#20 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

Al-jaazera's been pretty good, but now the 'supporters' are targeting journalists including Anderson Cooper and Brian Williams.

One last thing on Hopestar, there is no longer such a thing as isolationism. Our reputation is different, they hate the government, but they love us. That's how America is.

Edited by Insurrection, 03 February 2011 - 07:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users