• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:27 PM

Hey everyone. If you've paid attention to this section of the forum before you may know I occasionally post stories about science-y stuff that comes out now and then, such as the thread about Jupiter's red spot.

Anyways, I thought it would be nice for the boards to have a thread all about sharing cool things about science.

I wanted to start with a story about one of Saturn's moons having an ocean.

A subsurface ocean lies deep within Saturn's moon Dione, according to new data from the Cassini mission to Saturn. Two other moons of Saturn, Titan and Enceladus, are already known to hide global oceans beneath their icy crusts, but a new study suggests an ocean exists on Dione as well

It's really fascinating that there's an entire ocean beneath the surface of a moon that orbits another planet.

Also, check out this photo gallery of space from NBC News.

It includes pictures such as this gem

ss-160929-misp-mn-11_0fea4078042b3409aa6

And look at this

ss-160929-misp-mn-16_0fea4078042b3409aa6

That's the surface of Mars, another planet.

Edited by Lid, 06 October 2016 - 04:29 PM.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#2 Hanabi

Hanabi

絶対大丈夫だよ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:cardcaptor sakura!

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

funny how we know more about space than our own ocean  :excited:

2UFqbUS.gif

I can't even say good bye to you for the last time

I'm sorry

#3 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

Gorgeous and amazing!!

#4 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:28 PM

A new discovery on Parkinson's Disease has been found. A malfunctioning stress coping mechanism in the brain seems to be the issue. Scientists are now working to correct this dysfunction which could lead to more health breakthroughs.

Here's the full story. 

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#5 12771a

12771a

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:22 PM

A new discovery on Parkinson's Disease has been found. A malfunctioning stress coping mechanism in the brain seems to be the issue. Scientists are now working to correct this dysfunction which could lead to more health breakthroughs.

Here's the full story. 

Good news. I hope this leads to better treatment. In my psych. class our teacher showed us how M.J. Fox was affected by the disease. She said it got worse than when the video was made. 

Has anyone else seen this 

https://www.inverse....es-life-on-mars

tumblr_muw6dyQ0dw1qjcgkbo1_500.gif

#6 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:46 PM

Good news. I hope this leads to better treatment. In my psych. class our teacher showed us how M.J. Fox was affected by the disease. She said it got worse than when the video was made. 

Has anyone else seen this 

https://www.inverse....es-life-on-mars

This quote from the article

When I look at the staggering number of stars in our galaxy, the number of planets we’ve discovered and continue to discover, we just have the numbers on our side. It may be that in any given solar system, there are only one or two planets that could be life-bearing. But when you look at the universe as a whole, I think that it’s probably a very common phenomenon.”

Is the most important to me. There are so many other solar systems, let alone galaxies in the universe. There's probably plenty of other planets that have had an evolutionary process.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#7 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

Hey everyone, want some good news from the world of science?

How about this story, where researchers at Stanford have discovered a new, more efficient design for solar cells that can outperform the current ones. According to the story, there's more work to do, but it's a good step for solar power.

Here's a link to the story:  https://www.scienced...61020142037.htm

Another interesting one comes from the University of West Virginia, where astrophysicists were able to better map out the Milky Way Galaxy. To me, the scope of that is just astounding. Think about it, we here on Earth, this single planet in a single solar system, are able to use technology to map out what our gigantic galaxy is like. 

Here's the article https://www.scienced...61019185009.htm

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users