11 replies to this topic

#1 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:40 AM

So the thing is, I bought an new computer about a year ago, but the issue is that most games that I try to play on it suffer sudden crashes and even blue screens. I tried just about everything with no sucess. But recently, I exchanged the Hard drive for an different one, and miraculously, most of issue that I had seem to have ended, but when I tried to buy an new Hard drive, the issues came back again. I suspect that is because of the HD size, my first one was of 1,5tb and the new one was of 2tb. While the HD that suffered no issues was of 500GB. I would like to confirm if Hard rives with large sizes have issues with games? Or is it another problem?

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#2 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:53 AM

First of all when I read "Performance issues" I seriously thought you meant something else. :D :lol:

Now to answer your question. No the size of a hard drive has absolutely nothing to do with the crashes.

The hard drive is faulty, including the new one. It happens.

My uncle bought 2 or 3 Western Digital Caviar Blues a while back, installed them and all of had some sort of problem. Then he went back to the store exchanged them, went back home and the even the exchanged ones were broken. So he just gave up and returned them and got his money back.

If you want to be sure the hard drive is faulty or not install this program: http://crystalmark.i...fo/index-e.html

and it tells you the state of your hard drive.

Edited by Nostradamus, 05 March 2015 - 01:01 AM.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#3 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:00 AM

First of all when I read "Performance issues" I seriously thought you meant something else. :D :lol:

Now to answer your question. No the size of a hard drive has absolutely nothing to do with the crashes.

The hard drive is faulty, including the new one. It happens.

My uncle bought 2 or 3 Western Digital Caviar Blues a while back, installed them and all of had some sort of problem. Then he went back to the store exchanged them, went back home and the even the exchanged ones were broken. So he just gave up and returned them and got his money back.

Guess I worded the title wrong.

Well, this sucks. Maybe I just have no luck. My old computer that I used for gaming never suffered such issues.

#4 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:38 AM

If you want to be sure the hard drive is faulty or not install this program: http://crystalmark.i...fo/index-e.html

and it tells you the state of your hard drive.

Well, what do you know. The program says my HD is fine. Yet the blasted thing crashes every time I play an game. My computer is playing tricks with me.

#5 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:16 AM

Well, what do you know. The program says my HD is fine. Yet the blasted thing crashes every time I play an game. My computer is playing tricks with me.

Ok. Do you mind telling me what components you have, OS and programs and of course the temps for your Hard drive, video card and CPU?

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#6 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:37 AM

Would be good to know the HDD RPM.  Also, what kind of games?  Do they have a lot of maps or other data that changes a lot?

How much RAM? 

#7 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:53 AM

Well, it all depends. If I play five minutes of Inquisition, my computer get's an blue screen, and yet, I can also play one hour of Bioshock Infinite.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-3770 3.40 GHz

Kingstone memory card of 8 RAM

Nvidia GTX 760 graphic card

ASUS P8H61-M LX2/BR LGA1155 DDR3 motherboard

hd 2tb seagate

Windows 7 64 bit

I can't say for sure, but all temperatures seem nominal. Video card can get hot, but that wasn't a issue when I used the 500GB Hard drive.

Edited by alexander, 05 March 2015 - 02:54 AM.

#8 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:13 AM

I don't think the HDD size should matter at all, if anything the smaller HDD should give you more issues as it fills up quicker and access times would become slow as the files are scattered all over the HDD.

The problem could be a number of things, it could be the RAM, one of the dimms slots or units might be faulty, (I know my old PC had a dimm slot that was faulty and always crashed Internet Explorer, which was the main reason why started using Firefox. I'd run Memmory Diagnostic in Administration Tools in the Control panel just to be sure.

It could be the power supply, the 2TB HDD is likely to use more power than the 500GB and while gaming with all componants running at full tilt it might be more than the PSU can handle. How many watts is you PSU?

It's hard to tell what could cause the issue with the PC, for example a few months ago I decided to clean the dust out of my PC and better cable manage everything, and I decided to replace the stock cooler with a third party one (One that I had tested before and worked fine.) and for some reason the PC kept crashing during RAM check, I spent hours trying to solve the problem, never considered the possability of it being a CPU fan, but soon as changed the fan back to stock everything worked fine.

iAnby7W.gif

#9 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

I don't think the HDD size should matter at all, if anything the smaller HDD should give you more issues as it fills up quicker and access times would become slow as the files are scattered all over the HDD.

The problem could be a number of things, it could be the RAM, one of the dimms slots or units might be faulty, (I know my old PC had a dimm slot that was faulty and always crashed Internet Explorer, which was the main reason why started using Firefox. I'd run Memmory Diagnostic in Administration Tools in the Control panel just to be sure.

It could be the power supply, the 2TB HDD is likely to use more power than the 500GB and while gaming with all componants running at full tilt it might be more than the PSU can handle. How many watts is you PSU?

It's hard to tell what could cause the issue with the PC, for example a few months ago I decided to clean the dust out of my PC and better cable manage everything, and I decided to replace the stock cooler with a third party one (One that I had tested before and worked fine.) and for some reason the PC kept crashing during RAM check, I spent hours trying to solve the problem, never considered the possability of it being a CPU fan, but soon as changed the fan back to stock everything worked fine.

It's an 600 watts Corsair.

I honestly don't know. It can't be the graphic card or the processor. They are top quality. But if it's an faulty slot, would it be an case of exchanging the RAM or the motherboard itself?

#10 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

Well, it all depends. If I play five minutes of Inquisition, my computer get's an blue screen, and yet, I can also play one hour of Bioshock Infinite.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-3770 3.40 GHz

Kingstone memory card of 8 RAM

Nvidia GTX 760 graphic card

ASUS P8H61-M LX2/BR LGA1155 DDR3 motherboard

hd 2tb seagate

Windows 7 64 bit

I can't say for sure, but all temperatures seem nominal. Video card can get hot, but that wasn't a issue when I used the 500GB Hard drive.

My guess is the hard drive since you said the problems goes away when you swap it out.

I'm sorry I can't really give you a proper answer to what and how to fix it.

If you want I recommend posting your problem on this forum: http://linustechtips.com - the community there is friendly and helpful and they posses more knowledge that I do.

Edited by Nostradamus, 05 March 2015 - 01:19 PM.

CZSn9hA.jpg

#11 narusaku256

narusaku256

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,974 posts
  • Interests:Everything :D

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:16 AM

It MAY BE a PSU or the Power Supply Unit problem. Try going for a 600w+ PSU. Test it once and see if it solves the problem....

Hope it works :D

tumblr_nokgzxLJ4A1ts94lmo1_500.gif

#12 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:24 AM

Saw the title of the thread and it got me thinking. I think Sasuke no doubt has "performance issues" when he's with Sakura. :lol:

Posted Image

Behold! Akame ga Kill's True Canon Pairing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users