#1 Torxe

Torxe

World's greatest critic <boragnarok>

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Games, PC, fora, terraria, Bo-karate, meditation

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

hi, I've recently heard from someone that she gets spam from my hotmail-address, these mails don't appear in my sent messages directory.

If someone knows what the cause/solution could be let me know.

I already changed my password and did a full system check just to make sure the system check did not find any mallware.
^ I don't know if the problem will be resolved with this only finished 10 mins ago.

If you think there is smthng else I can do please let me know

thx, in advance

In support of the Sakura we once knew:

Sakura-killing-hinata-naruto-shippuuden-

#2 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

Does it send spam to all of your contacts? Have you accepted stupid stuff on Facebook or other social networks lately? Can you look through your contacts and see if you find one contact which is unknown to you? Some facebook worms has been able to add a script to hotmail accounts, which was a problem in early fall of 2010. My guess is that there's a delightful little worm who has access to your contacts, and is able to send out emails from your account.

My suggestion: Get rid of Hotmail. Why people still use it after better options were made available, is beyond me. Get a gmail account instead!

I have a hotmail-account which was my primary account 10 years ago, but I swiched to Gmail in it's beta stage, and never looked back. I only use my hotmail account to sign up to silly forums and for MSN. I'm thinking of getting rid of it all together though. We'll see.

#3 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Vyse @ Mar 9 2011, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does it send spam to all of your contacts? Have you accepted stupid stuff on Facebook or other social networks lately? Can you look through your contacts and see if you find one contact which is unknown to you? Some facebook worms has been able to add a script to hotmail accounts, which was a problem in early fall of 2010. My guess is that there's a delightful little worm who has access to your contacts, and is able to send out emails from your account.

My suggestion: Get rid of Hotmail. Why people still use it after better options were made available, is beyond me. Get a gmail account instead!

I have a hotmail-account which was my primary account 10 years ago, but I swiched to Gmail in it's beta stage, and never looked back. I only use my hotmail account to sign up to silly forums and for MSN. I'm thinking of getting rid of it all together though. We'll see.

Gmail is the way to go. Better service and better quality.
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#4 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

Well I use the account for MSN to but I ain't bothered by the SPAM it's my friends so if I go over to G-mail their problem isn't solved. And I already have a gmail but don't feel like using it.

Also my facebook account is linked to another hotmail account (I have 4 e-mails total), netlog however is still linked to that hotmail account. Should probably get rid of that. It's been at least two years since I used that.

as for worm shouldn't my antivir have detected it, I use avast Free!

#5 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Torxe @ Mar 9 2011, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I use the account for MSN to but I ain't bothered by the SPAM it's my friends so if I go over to G-mail their problem isn't solved. And I already have a gmail but don't feel like using it.

Also my facebook account is linked to another hotmail account (I have 4 e-mails total), netlog however is still linked to that hotmail account. Should probably get rid of that. It's been at least two years since I used that.

as for worm shouldn't my antivir have detected it, I use avast Free!

Most likely its either a worm or a virus. Avast isn't exactly foolproof, either. I had that kind of experience too once in a while but most of the time they are pretty mediocre since I'm using 3 different antivirus and 2 different spyware and adware detector. Unless you can afford to do it like me, then the only way is to have your friends puts those mails into the junk folder (which shouldn't affect the e-mails that you actually send since that kind of thing usually sends the e-mail using some non-existant server but using your name as the sender log) or simply tell them not to open it and chug is straight to the deleted folders. otherwise, your best chance would be to completely format your Hard Drive (which I don't recommend if you can help it)

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#6 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

solved got a new e-mailadres for hotmail and msn. Took me 15 mins and 35 mails to notify everyone but it's solved.

@BL In the 5y I followed ICT I always heard; never have more than 1 antivir on your pc at once about the spy -and adware software I'm not sure.
But antivir's work against each other. Most of the time they block each others updates so none of your antivirs is entirely up to date (in the worst case they're two weeks behind). I'm not sure if this is intentional but me and my friends think it's a competing trick.

With my student license of the KHBO Oostende I could get 3y worht of MCafee (spelling?) and Norton antivir probably bullgaurd to not sure though.
So if it were the case I would definitely install all of them. I use avast because it's lighter than all of the aforementioned. Since I'm in ICT I occasionally need to use VM's. Tried to boot 2 instances of Windows Server 2008, 1 of windows 7 32-bit while already running a windows 7 64-bit (the host so my pc?) simultaneously.
=> that's kittening slow and I have 4 GB RAM and a processor of 2x2.1GHz. + My laptop is already 3y old going to replace it after summer.

#7 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:17 PM

*Shrugs* I'm using Norton, NOD32 and Kaspersky, and they works fine. none of them are having problem with updates or anything the likes. I used to use Avast like... a few years ago but changed to Norton after I found out that its not scanning the Hard Drive good enough (I found 3 viruses with Norton but Avast found nothing)

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#8 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

That's because Avast hadn't received the update with the mentioning of those viruses yet (like you tell it there I assume there was more than one antivir at the same time on your pc). So Avast was coming a little behind because of Norton or Avast still needed to get the updates.

According to my teacher Avast receives the updates at 4pm (in Western Europe), not sure on what base could be weekly and could be daily.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users