#1 Pocky-chan

Pocky-chan

Cavelady from 2005 or something

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:William Riker and his beard

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Gonna put myself out her say I'm a huge fan of new running series, Elementary and Hannibal. The thing I like both about the amazing series is the fact that both shows took male established characters and genderbended them into these amazing female characters. Who rock sass.

Spoiler alert

So it occurs to me what other movies or shows or comics or whatever take the notion of deviating away from the original source material, to adapt it with the current mainstream of society.

Has those other adaptions been as successful as Elementary and Hannibal in terms of changing characters into something new and innovated.

Likes seriously, Watson has been a mouse and robot. Katara and Sokka were white, Zuko was Dev Patel with a scar. Mandarin was not the Mandarin. 

Not to mention Shredder will not be Japanese in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie.

I'm curious how many adaptions who take a character and change them, were successful in being favourable among their audiences? Who did you like? Who did you wish remain the same as the source material? What should other modern adaptions learn from their mistakes?

Plus I want to find more genderbended ladies so I can have personal headcanons of this newfound friendship I'm forming in my head. 

#2 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

I wish the producers of John Carter had allowed Dejah Thoris to wear the costume that was described in the novel.     :hehehe:

Edited by desaix, 08 July 2013 - 12:08 AM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#3 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

Gonna put myself out her say I'm a huge fan of new running series, Elementary and Hannibal. The thing I like both about the amazing series is the fact that both shows took male established characters and genderbended them into these amazing female characters. Who rock sass.

Spoiler alert

So it occurs to me what other movies or shows or comics or whatever take the notion of deviating away from the original source material, to adapt it with the current mainstream of society.

Has those other adaptions been as successful as Elementary and Hannibal in terms of changing characters into something new and innovated.

Likes seriously, Watson has been a mouse and robot. Katara and Sokka were white, Zuko was Dev Patel with a scar. Mandarin was not the Mandarin. 

Not to mention Shredder will not be Japanese in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie.

I'm curious how many adaptions who take a character and change them, were successful in being favourable among their audiences? Who did you like? Who did you wish remain the same as the source material? What should other modern adaptions learn from their mistakes?

Plus I want to find more genderbended ladies so I can have personal headcanons of this newfound friendship I'm forming in my head. 

Wow, I'm actually surprised you liked the Elementary adaptation.  Everyone mostly bashes it for being an 'inferior' adaptation compared to the BBC Sherlock series.

I don't really care much for it, I like both Elementary and Sherlock.

Anyway, adaptations, I always see as an alternate universe of their source material.  If I find that it adequately gets the plot across with the changes in the adaptations not detracting too much from it, it's fine.

Considering that sometimes, the tone of the adaptation changes completely compared to the original source, I also consider that too.

Adapting Bane from the Batman comics, for example, was a bit controversial because they removed his Luchadore mask.  I didn't really care too much because they had the basic spirit of the character down, a beast of a man that's both a physical (well, Bane's usually Bats' physical superior) and a mental equal, with a prison on his background, Broke The Bat, and even has a gas vented in him (although that's anesthetic gas because of his back injury, it also serves to explain how he can tank Batman's blows even after Bats' 're-hardening' in the prison).  

Maybe it's because I've never been a 'hardcore' fan of anything, but adaptations usually never bother me for long. 

Although, I've gotten a few adaptations that's really upset me; The 1998 American Godzilla movie and the Last Airbender movie, for one.

The Godzilla movie was mostly because of the monster itself.  If it had been any other monster, it would've been an okay movie.  The real Godzilla is an unstoppable beast of destruction, it's called the King of all Monsters for a reason. The military doesn't even slow it down, other monsters are a different story (especially if your name is King Ghidorah or Destoroyah).  Zilla (Toho, the Japanese company that makes the movies has officially called the American beast, Zilla), wasn't fitting of the name Godzilla.

Last Airbender lacked the charm of the animated series and their characters.  Dunno if it's because inferior acting, directing, writing, or whatever.  Or maybe I'm just blinded by "bleh, original is best!" 

#4 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

When it comes to the "original source" I try to take it lightly. Changes have to be made to provide and adaptation. The Iron Man movies, save for the Manderin thing, were movies that did it right. For example, Jarvis being a computer AI rather than a real person like in the comics. That was acceptable. Sometimes I take it as "This is what could have happened with the comics being the original universe."

I liked Bane in the Dark Knight Rises because he was basically it probably would be what a real life version of him would really be.

The Lone Ranger movie I enjoyed even when I had the expectations that it was going to be like the Green Hornet movie.

The Spider-man movies with Tobey Maquire were amazing in my opinion. Sure it differed from the comics a bit, but in a good way and the soundtrack was much better. The AMazing Spider-man movie....was....okay, honestly it was okay, but I feel they missed the point of "Peter Parker." Other than having no parents, Peter had no other problems which I felt was only part of Peter's trails. (Even the Uncle Ben death fell a little flat in my opinion.)

The Man of Steel movie...I don't really have alot of bad stuff to say about it. I felt it was like the Batman Begins movie where it was great, not flawless, and the next one will be even better. Some had problems with it, but again I have seen worse movies.

What really hs problems are movies based on true stories. Especially when they are not even close like Patch Adams. The real Patch Adams was appauled by the movie because it didn't really capture the true nature behind his work.

That's my take on it.

Last Airbender lacked the charm of the animated series and their characters.  Dunno if it's because inferior acting, directing, writing, or whatever.  Or maybe I'm just blinded by "bleh, original is best!" 

Wow, finally someone with a real criticism that goes beyond "The characters weren't chinese. That's why it sucked." I don't mind if people like or hate the movie, but I rather much hate the fact that people take ethnicity in consideration. I figure if an actors does the job well, then it is fine by me.

Is it bad that I liked the last Airbender? Okay, I am not saying ti is without problems, but compariing the live action movie to the cartoon is like....comparing a book adaptation to the book. If you even try to, you're gonna have a bad time and I bet if given another chance the next movie could be even better.

The effects in the movie were great and I have seen worse from movies made today,

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#5 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

When it comes to the "original source" I try to take it lightly. Changes have to be made to provide and adaptation. The Iron Man movies, save for the Manderin thing, were movies that did it right. For example, Jarvis being a computer AI rather than a real person like in the comics. That was acceptable. Sometimes I take it as "This is what could have happened with the comics being the original universe."

I liked Bane in the Dark Knight Rises because he was basically it probably would be what a real life version of him would really be.

The Lone Ranger movie I enjoyed even when I had the expectations that it was going to be like the Green Hornet movie.

The Spider-man movies with Tobey Maquire were amazing in my opinion. Sure it differed from the comics a bit, but in a good way and the soundtrack was much better. The AMazing Spider-man movie....was....okay, honestly it was okay, but I feel they missed the point of "Peter Parker." Other than having no parents, Peter had no other problems which I felt was only part of Peter's trails. (Even the Uncle Ben death fell a little flat in my opinion.)

The Man of Steel movie...I don't really have alot of bad stuff to say about it. I felt it was like the Batman Begins movie where it was great, not flawless, and the next one will be even better. Some had problems with it, but again I have seen worse movies.

What really hs problems are movies based on true stories. Especially when they are not even close like Patch Adams. The real Patch Adams was appauled by the movie because it didn't really capture the true nature behind his work.

That's my take on it.

Wow, finally someone with a real criticism that goes beyond "The characters weren't chinese. That's why it sucked." I don't mind if people like or hate the movie, but I rather much hate the fact that people take ethnicity in consideration. I figure if an actors does the job well, then it is fine by me.

Is it bad that I liked the last Airbender? Okay, I am not saying ti is without problems, but compariing the live action movie to the cartoon is like....comparing a book adaptation to the book. If you even try to, you're gonna have a bad time and I bet if given another chance the next movie could be even better.

The effects in the movie were great and I have seen worse from movies made today,

Even not comparing it to the source, I found it a little meh-ish.  Some parts were fine, but other scenes were awkward. It probably has to do with trying to tell several episodes worth of plot in an hour or two timeline.

Although, the Rurouni Kenshin live action movie did the same thing, 11 episodes, I think was said, but accomplished it with plenty of accolades. I don't really know, don't care.  One was a good movie, the other wasn't.

What the issue in Amazing Spider-Man was that, Andrew Garfield was far too handsome to be portrayed as a geeky loser, that and as the people developing the movie stated, geeks and nerds aren't really seen as outsiders anymore, so it's sorta out of place in a modern school for a geek getting bullied.  Of course, it varies, depending on what school and city you live in and stuff, but I haven't really experienced or witnessed nerds and geeks getting bullied in the schools I've been..., in fact, some of those stereotypical 'jocks' I've seen were in honors classes themselves..., and excelled in those classes, and were pretty awesome guys themselves.  

Even the weird-loner type that Andrew's Peter was supposed to be, should be, in my experience again, around the theater types, art geeks, skater dudes, or band geeks.  That's probably what confused me more about Andrew's Peter....  

It's probably better if they adhered to the stereotypical 50's-80's Jocks bullied nerds school with modern clothes than trying to create a modern school culture.

Andrew's Spider-Man, on the other hand, was nailed down properly.

Still, most of Peter's hardship is also tied to the suit and what it does to the people he loves, and considering he probably had only a few weeks to maybe 2 or 3 months of being Spidey, the issues don't really compare to having a Clone or....One More Day....and SpiderOck....

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 08 July 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#6 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

I saw a lot of people saying that "the only thing people complained about with The Last Airbender movie was the race thing!" and not many actual complaints about the race thing.  I did have a TON of problems with the movie, myself (most of which were "my god, I didn't know acting this bad could happen in a modern big-budget movie.  None of these people have any emotion whatsoever, and few of them deliver their lines in a professional manner."), but rather than torture myself by watching what was the worst movie I have ever voluntarily seen, again, (and that is not an exageration) I will defer to the review provided by webcomic writer and author Howard Taylor, whose review captured several of the problems I had with it as well.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#7 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

I saw a lot of people saying that "the only thing people complained about with The Last Airbender movie was the race thing!" and not many actual complaints about the race thing.  I did have a TON of problems with the movie, myself (most of which were "my god, I didn't know acting this bad could happen in a modern big-budget movie.  None of these people have any emotion whatsoever, and few of them deliver their lines in a professional manner."), but rather than torture myself by watching what was the worst movie I have ever voluntarily seen, again, (and that is not an exageration) I will defer to the review provided by webcomic writer and author Howard Taylor, whose review captured several of the problems I had with it as well.

Ah, thank you.  It's been a loooonnnggg time (I lost my midnight release first time on that movie) since I saw it, but yeah...frigging bland delivery.  

Graphics were awesome though, and the props, costumes, etc..... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users