2 replies to this topic

#1 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

Just finished my third play through of Journey. It's a short game, so that means maybe 2 hours of pretty cinema each playthrough.

It's only $15 on PSN but it's PS3 exclusive. $15 for 2 hours of gameplay, you say? Well, every second of this highly polished game is super HQ in every way. There are few wasted moments and no wasted actions.

There is a story, a sad meaty one to boot.

You start off as a lone figure in the desert. Off in the distance is a dune, with two slender pillars with scarves blowing in the wind. There are no instructions... you just sort of know you should probably head to the dune. Once you crest the dune, you see a mountain in the distance with a strange gap coming out of it. Somehow you know... you have to reach that mountain.

I actually cried at the end of my second play through. It's an emotional game even without words. The sheer exuberance of sliding through the sand, the terror of fleeing from the war machine sharks, and the joy of finding an unnamed companion and continuing on your pilgrimage with them... then the sorrow as your poor little pilgrim passes out in the snow and becomes yet another grave marker, only to transcend and become reborn above the clouds... Can a video game be a religious experience? It's so heart-achingly beautiful at some places.

So yeah. If you have a PS3, shell out your fifteen bucks and go get this now. You won't regret it.

Edited by Catwho, 31 March 2012 - 03:41 AM.

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#2 light.keyblade.master

light.keyblade.master

Jimi Hendrix Wannabe

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Guitar, NARUTO, Video Games, Basketball, running, biking, writing, swimming, hangin with friends etc. Like to listen to my birds make music. Also PJ's.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (Catwho @ Mar 31 2012, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just finished my third play through of Journey. It's a short game, so that means maybe 2 hours of pretty cinema each playthrough.

It's only $15 on PSN but it's PS3 exclusive. $15 for 2 hours of gameplay, you say? Well, every second of this highly polished game is super HQ in every way. There are few wasted moments and no wasted actions.

There is a story, a sad meaty one to boot.

You start off as a lone figure in the desert. Off in the distance is a dune, with two slender pillars with scarves blowing in the wind. There are no instructions... you just sort of know you should probably head to the dune. Once you crest the dune, you see a mountain in the distance with a strange gap coming out of it. Somehow you know... you have to reach that mountain.

I actually cried at the end of my second play through. It's an emotional game even without words. The sheer exuberance of sliding through the sand, the terror of fleeing from the war machine sharks, and the joy of finding an unnamed companion and continuing on your pilgrimage with them... then the sorrow as your poor little pilgrim passes out in the snow and becomes yet another grave marker, only to transcend and become reborn above the clouds... Can a video game be a religious experience? It's so heart-achingly beautiful at some places.

So yeah. If you have a PS3, shell out your fifteen bucks and go get this now. You won't regret it.

Reminded me of the ending to Minecraft.
Ah Daniel. #7. He always was my favorite.

#3 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:02 AM

I've been keeping an eye on Journey since it was announced. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to buying it yet, but that'll change soon enough. I don't mind paying up for a short game as long as it's quality.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users