7 replies to this topic

#1 Abel Nightroad

Abel Nightroad

The Phoenix Nin

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Figured since this, from what I understand, is a new saga in an old and infamous canon, I'll start with a quote about it from another thread.

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jun 9 2012, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Prometheus - 8/10

This is not an Alien movie. That needs to be made very, very clear. If you go into this expecting Alien (or Aliens, for that matter), you will not be pleased. This is a different machine. However, the pacing is similar to the first Alien, so there's that. This is a movie intended mainly to ask philosophical questions that you don't fully realize were being asked until after you leave the theater. It does this very well while still holding your attention throughout the film itself. I'm still thinking about the movie now, after more than 7 hours after seeing it. The acting is effective (especially, of course, from Michael Fassbender as David the android), the script is overall good (although it does have one problem that I will address shortly), and there are many very good and interesting shots that stuck out to me.

The largest flaw that this movie has is a lack of characters that you can strongly relate to. Normally, this problem would be enough to kill any movie completely, but Prometheus only possesses it as a minor flaw because of the nature itself of the film and how it still works very well without it (which is pretty unique, actually). You don't care enough about the characters (there are some that you do care about, but just a select few), and that makes many scenes in this movie less shocking/impacting than they should be. If the movie allowed room for more character development and the like, then this would be an easy 10/10.

In conclusion: a great movie that just needs room for the characters to breathe. Bring on the director's cut, Mr. Scott.

Now, as I was saying, and Zac implies, from what I gather, this is supposedly set in, at the very least, an alt-verse in the Aliens/Predator canon timeline.

Since this was in the trailers, I don't view it as so much a spoiler, but look at the alien as it gets into that pod thing....look familiar? Looks like the dead alien they find in the crashed ship in the first Alien movie.

Also in the trailers, the design of the alien ship. Also looking familiar? Compare it to a certain crashed ship in the Alien movies.

Now, truthfully, I would be remiss if I also didn't state I haven't seen the film myself yet and probably won't until after it leaves theatres. Just not my thing, even with my interest in the various Alien and Predator films (to the point of owning them all, AVP films included)....just not the kind of thing I would spend $ to see in theater. Just so that is on the record.
"What use is a word with but one meaning?"

#2 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

I heard that there was too much connection to Aliens for it despite allegedly not being an Aliens movie.

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 10 June 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#3 Abel Nightroad

Abel Nightroad

The Phoenix Nin

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

From what I understand, its a prequal in a possible alt-verse in the Alien/Predator canon 'verse...at the very least. If not an outright prequal in the main 'verse itself.
"What use is a word with but one meaning?"

#4 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

I was quoted. I feel special. omfg.gif

When I said that it wasn't an Alien movie, I meant that it can stand on its own completely, without any aid from the Alien films. It takes place in the same universe as Alien (confirmed by Ridley Scott himself); it is a prequel, but an indirect prequel.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#5 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

I saw it last night. I also have been thinking about it today -- and not because it supposedly asked grand, open-ended philosophical questions, but rather because I can't believe what a wasted opportunity it turned out to be.

In case any of this is considered a spoiler.... --Click here to view--
The largest flaw that this movie has is a lack of characters that you can strongly relate to. Normally, this problem would be enough to kill any movie completely, but Prometheus only possesses it as a minor flaw because of the nature itself of the film and how it still works very well without it (which is pretty unique, actually). You don't care enough about the characters (there are some that you do care about, but just a select few), and that makes many scenes in this movie less shocking/impacting than they should be. If the movie allowed room for more character development and the like, then this would be an easy 10/10.

In my opinion, calling it a "minor flaw" is a pretty serious understatement. Maybe it's just semantics. But for me, not only were the characters poorly developed and hard to care about, they didn't have any chemistry -- you know, the sort of ensemble chemistry that existed in Alien and Aliens and made them so terrific. Survival/action stories really don't work if you don't know who the characters are, you don't care about them, and you can't really understand their intentions and purpose -- or in this case, even know some of their names. There was no collaboration, no synergy... they might as well have been cardboard cut-outs for all the depth they provided.

I don't find fault with the actors (a lot of talent in the cast), but the screenwriters. The screenplay ran like a few semi-interesting but ultimately cliché ideas strung together by a series of obvious contrivances and concepts rehashed from the previous movies. I kept waiting for red arrows and the words SEE WHAT WE DID THERE!?! or SEEM FAMILIAR? to flash on the screen, Tarantino-style. As far as I could tell, there were simply no new ideas in this film -- within the franchise itself or the genre of science fiction. Zip.

I concede it was visually stunning, and the overall production values made the environments rich and believable.

The only other thing I can praise without reservation is the perfectly nuanced and fascinating performance by Michael Fassbender. The synthetics are always the key characters in Alien films, and despite the general issues with the script and characterization, Fassbender brought the game to a new level. For me, the only interesting question in the film was the nature of David's motivation.

Just my opinion, of course. I'm still glad I saw it, but considering all the hype and potential it had, I can't give the result more than 5/10.

#6 narulsaku

narulsaku

FALLEN ANGEL

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Interests:playing vedio games , readin' mangas , books ,singing , drawing , and also listing music , hang arround with friends , cricket, football, and also table tennise,eating
    I love multipllayer games like dog fight , tanki online.
    ect....

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Abel Nightroad @ Jun 10 2012, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Figured since this, from what I understand, is a new saga in an old and infamous canon, I'll start with a quote about it from another thread.

Now, as I was saying, and Zac implies, from what I gather, this is supposedly set in, at the very least, an alt-verse in the Aliens/Predator canon timeline.

Since this was in the trailers, I don't view it as so much a spoiler, but look at the alien as it gets into that pod thing....look familiar? Looks like the dead alien they find in the crashed ship in the first Alien movie.

Also in the trailers, the design of the alien ship. Also looking familiar? Compare it to a certain crashed ship in the Alien movies.

Now, truthfully, I would be remiss if I also didn't state I haven't seen the film myself yet and probably won't until after it leaves theatres. Just not my thing, even with my interest in the various Alien and Predator films (to the point of owning them all, AVP films included)....just not the kind of thing I would spend $ to see in theater. Just so that is on the record.
hey are you sure that its not an alien movie huh.gif

god is sweet.......
courage,,,,,,,,,,,
doesn't always roar.............
sometimescourage is quite voice at the
end of the day saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
'll try again tomorrow"

#7 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

A very, very interesting, in-depth analysis of the movie that I recommend everyone watch. It will not only boost the activity of this thread and accelerate the discussion, but it may answer some questions as to why the movie itself was so...different. I highly, highly recommend that everyone watch this, despite its long length. It's worth the time. Trust me.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#8 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Quite frankly I loved the movie. As a fan of the original 2 Aliens movies, I found myself pointing out scenes and places to my brother during the film. In my mind I was drawing connections between Prometheus and the original Alien movie. I think Michael Fassbender did an amazing job as David. I liked performances from Idris Elba and Charlize Theron as well. I do think that the film seemed to end too early. I think if they used an additional twenty minutes to explain everything. I think it might have been better received by more people. Either way, I thought it was a very worthwhile experience.

8.5/10 personally.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users