34 replies to this topic

#1 HalfStarStudios

HalfStarStudios

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

Would you still count Sakura as a main character of the series. I'm not so sure anymore. She doesn't have any sub-plots of her own and she doesn't exactly drive the story. Would you say she's more of a main supporting character than a main character?

#2 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:lol git

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

You make a good point. The truth is, I think she falls somewhere in between. She plays a significant role in the story, but at the same time does not drive in her own plot. So, its in the middle, really.

#3 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

I agree with Dragon.
I think it's similar to Harry Potter in a way. The Golden Trio, Harry, Hermione, and Ron, the story would be at fault without one of them.
Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura are both very important to the story in a whole.

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#4 kirabook

kirabook

Examiner

• ANBU
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

She is a main character, but she's not one that drives the plot. She is important, she's part of the "Team 7" goal dream and she's Naruto's love interest.

She doesn't have a super tragic past other than being bullied for her forehead and I think that's how Kishi wanted it. She's supposed to be the most normal out of everyone. While she doesn't have a tragic past, that does not mean she doesn't make hard decisions or is facing some hard circumstance in the present. Kinda like Shikamaru didn't have a terrible past, but in more recent times, he had to deal with the death of his beloved teacher.

Posted Image

Sig made by me though. XD

Check out my father and son Minato and Naruto group on FF.net
http://www.fanfictio..._No_Yaoi/74936/

#5 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

"Sakura is the main heroine." - Masashi Kishimoto

Still you got a point, she isn't showed enough.

Left Hand to the Future Pirate King

Vinsmoke "Black Leg" Sanji

2XtVwF6.png

#6 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

lets just say shes a main HEROINE.....but not a main Hero....which are sasuke and naruto.

heroines seem to be a step behind the hero.....and we got 2 heroes.....so 2 steps.

Edited by merryGOflava, 30 May 2012 - 02:09 AM.

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#7 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (Fenris @ May 29 2012, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Dragon.
I think it's similar to Harry Potter in a way. The Golden Trio, Harry, Hermione, and Ron, the story would be at fault without one of them.
Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura are both very important to the story in a whole.

In word, but not in deed.

Hermione was critical to the plot. Maybe not as much toward the end, when the story really focused more on Harry, but if you removed her from the story it wouldn't be the same story.

Sakura's plot importance, however, has been dwindling for a while. Currently, I can't think of any ways she is crucial to the plot. Meaning, if we were to remove her from the story, would it be the same? Early on, when Sakura had a bigger role, her removal would have drastically altered events. But now, she's just a face in the crowd for Naruto. Someone he thinks of, but not someone who actively shares the plot. Now, if she were removed, it would hardly make a ripple.

(Even the confession and her attack on Sasuke. What became of that? Nothing. There was no fallout, no reprecussions. Nothing. It just happened, and then went away.)

I'm not looking at this from a sentimental perspective, but from just the bare-bones facts of her involvement.

Yes, she's Naruto's love interest, and yes, she has a part to play. But her role as a character in her own right, with a relevant plot line and a dramatic tension has been severely diminished. (Then again, it's the same for all the original cast of characters. The only one who has gotten a boost in activity (though she's still not relevant) is Hinata.)

It remains to be seen whether Kishimoto brings Sakura back into the spotlight and gives her a plot line again. Or if he just limits her to being Naruto's love interest, with the occasional bout of action or shipping suspense.

#8 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

Well, lets see, if she hadn't cured Kankuro he'd be dead, her fighting Sasori was also crucial to the plot, Chiyo would have likely died if she fought Sasori alone, then Gaara wouldn't have been revived... Sakura played a crucial role in stopping Zetsu sneak murderous attacks on the medic nin camp and was exactly right on how he was doing it. That was crucial, Zetsu had to switch to a straightforward attack which allowed him to be pretty easily defeated.

That's right off the top of my head, I know there's more.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#9 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ May 30 2012, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, lets see, if she hadn't cured Kankuro he'd be dead, her fighting Sasori was also crucial to the plot, Chiyo would have likely died if she fought Sasori alone, then Gaara wouldn't have been revived... Sakura played a crucial role in stopping Zetsu sneak murderous attacks on the medic nin camp and was exactly right on how he was doing it. That was crucial, Zetsu had to switch to a straightforward attack which allowed him to be pretty easily defeated.

That's right off the top of my head, I know there's more.

I think they're referring to the fact what's happening currently in the Story, Sakura doesn't have much of an impact on. It doesn't have anything to do with past deeds.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#10 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

Throughout the manga as a whole, Shikamaru has more importance than Sakura IMHO. Yes Sakura defeated Sasori and that was an important point but after that she fades into the background. She hardly had any main character exposure. I'm hoping that is going to change soon.

Edited by Darth Krypt, 30 May 2012 - 07:42 AM.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#11 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

Of course Sakura is a main character in the manga, why wouldn't she be? I mean she hasn't had the spotlight in quite a while, but that doesn't mean she won't play an important role in the upcoming final battle between Naruto and Sasuke. I'm a betting man, and I definitely think Sakura will play a major factor in the final fight.

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#12 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ May 30 2012, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they're referring to the fact what's happening currently in the Story, Sakura doesn't have much of an impact on. It doesn't have anything to do with past deeds.

Sakura did the take down of Zetsu in the current arc. Her saving of Kankuro and fighting Sasori, thus playing a crucial role in Chiyo being there to give her life for Gaara has a profound effect on the current story arc.

I think what people are missing is Sakura's crucial part in the manga isn't some big flashy thing like the guys, but her deeds turn out to be crucial in the long term. Readers also tend to overlook Sakura's effect on people, because again, it isn't as flashy as Naruto's effect. Naruto had the flashy final effect on Chiyo, but Chiyo's last words, and her actions when they fought Sasori made it obvious Sakura had a very profound effect on her over a very short period of time. Sakura also had an effect on Sai's change, not just Naruto.

And Sakura attempt to take down Sasuke did have a crucial effect on the plot. It changed Naruto, it broke down his own "lying to himself" not just the lying to himself of refusing to see how Sakura had left behind the 12 year old Sasuke fangirl, and lying to himself about depth of Sasuke's darkness. Look at the effect of that when Naruto faced his self-doubt and repressed anger at the adult villagers, his self-created pain of the POAL was gone, there was nothing about that at all. (Where when he was genjutsued by Itachi in early part 2, his distorted image of Sakura made it easy for Itachi to distort and play on Naruto's feelings) Naruto knows she loves him, that made his victory over his "dark side" that much easier. Sakura has played a crucial role in Naruto's character growth, and even moreso in part 2 of the manga than in part 1.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#13 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

In the beginning of the shippuuden she act like the main heroine she had her own battle and showed her skills, but after it her role was gradually decreasing because of the akatsuki and kishi had to tell a lot of things but she still the main heroine
SK-303_image007.jpg

#14 Don-kun

Don-kun

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Interests:Music, Electronics, Driving car, Traveling and NaruSaku.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (Toasty Warrior @ May 30 2012, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course Sakura is a main character in the manga, why wouldn't she be? I mean she hasn't had the spotlight in quite a while, but that doesn't mean she won't play an important role in the upcoming final battle between Naruto and Sasuke. I'm a betting man, and I definitely think Sakura will play a major factor in the final fight.

I'm with you, but I think this Man (Kishi) is focusing more on his male characters and sometimes Hinata to boost up her fanservice.
You would think that after he find out that many fans hate Sakura character, he would focus a little more on her just to silence the fans, but like how he say that he hear people saying Hinata, Hinata even if he don't know why, he just replys to thier request.

#15 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

While I agree that for a main character, Sakura has been lacking, but I think something is going to happen with her in the time between now and when the Naruto vs Sasuke fight happens. I foresee something really big and important happening between Naruto and Sakura that changes everything we know of.

I have a good feeling Sakura is going to get this major spotlight put on her when she rejoins Naruto at the Tobi fight.
My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#16 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

I still see her as a main character. But yeah the plot is not treating her as such recently

Edited by Phantom_999, 04 June 2012 - 01:46 AM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#17 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still see her as a main character. But yeah the plot is not treating her as such recently

Kishi

2XtVwF6.png

#18 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:31 AM

And the the plot COMES from Kishi. Same thing

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#19 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Jun 4 2012, 04:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the the plot COMES from Kishi. Same thing

Kishiception.

2XtVwF6.png

#20 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (Toasty Warrior @ May 30 2012, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I have really been hoping Sakura would play a crucial point in the final fight but somehow... the stage has been set only for Sasuke and Naruto so far. Even thought she was also part of the old Team 7 once, it seems that she doesn't have a lot to do with it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users