Close
Photo

Neon Genesis Evangelion

anime 90s anime hideaki anno mecha deconstruction post-apocalyptic action drama psychological sci-fi

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts
  • Interests:Mariah Carey, Super Junior, Ailee, Shinee, and Mariah Carey

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

AkittenakaxSen, NaruSaku, SakuraxShaoran, SomaxErina, TouKen, YonaxHak

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:25 AM

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Neon%20Genesis%20Evangelion%20--12.jpg

In the year 2015, the world stands on the brink of destruction. Humanity's last hope lies in the hands of Nerv, a special agency under the United Nations, and their Evangelions, giant machines capable of defeating the Angels who herald Earth's ruin. Gendou Ikari, head of the organization, seeks compatible pilots who can synchronize with the Evangelions and realize their true potential. Aiding in this defensive endeavor are talented personnel Misato Katsuragi, Head of Tactical Operations, and Ritsuko Akagi, Chief Scientist.

Face to face with his father for the first time in years, 14-year-old Shinji Ikari's average life is irreversibly changed when he is whisked away into the depths of Nerv, and into a harrowing new destiny—he must become the pilot of Evangelion Unit-01 with the fate of mankind on his shoulders.

Written by Hideaki Anno, Neon Genesis Evangelion is a heroic tale of a young boy who will become a legend. But as this psychological drama unfolds, ancient secrets beneath the big picture begin to bubble to the surface...

• Year: 1995
  • Number of Episodes: 26
  • Sequels: End of Evangelion
  • Reboot/Spinoff: Rebuild of Evangelion (Tetralogy)

A classic and one of the most popular animes up to date... Why haven't I gotten around to watching it earlier? So far I am on episode 18 and love it. Recommend it to everyone who hasn't seen it yet. But what if you don't like mecha? Three words: Always. Make. Exceptions. This anime goes beyond the mecha genre and apparently will kitten you up later in the mind. I've already seen and heard bits and pieces and am sure that the next few episodes alongside the movie End of Evangelion will be a rollercoaster of emotions. And plus: The opening? How can you resist its addictiveness? It always makes me wanna groove.

kids.gif

Edited by trang95, 07 February 2016 - 05:27 AM.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

tumblr_nd8f3hq6MN1qawpjto1_r2_500.gif

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

#2 Sakura~

Sakura~

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:currently obsessed with Gintama and One Piece.
    http://clefairiess.tumblr.com

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:03 PM

Asuka is love

harley_quinn___sign_by_ravenlsd-d8q43el.

#3 Mixer

Mixer

✨Unicorn✨

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

I need to get back watching NGE!! >.<

tumblr_nsqg2qQqZ61utjwzwo1_500.gif

#4 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:21 PM

Asuka is love

Dat Tsundere side of her though XD

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."

#5 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

This was the first anime I saw from beginning to end. My husband, boyfriend at the time, had all of them on VHS. He lent them to me, which was a big deal, we had just started dating, and his anime collection wasn't something he just lent to anyone. I was flattered to say the least.

I remember popping in the first episode into my VCR and I was hooked. I binged watched it until the wee hours of the morning. My husband and I can still sit down to this day and have thought provoking conversations about the anime in its entirety and its cryptic ending. A true classic indeed.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#6 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

ayy lmao assuka

#7 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:57 AM

Gendo Ikari, you son of a b i t c h. Seriuosly though, I now see why he's been repeatedly labeled as one of the worst fathers out there in the anime community. But his tenacity and calm demeanor is what keeps NERV afloat (and his cryptic organization SEELE).

Episode 19

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#8 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:42 AM

Of all the anime I've watched over the years, Neon Genesis Evangelion remains my favorite, mainly because of how multi-layered and deep it is. It's really one of the best.

The first 15 Episodes

Episode 16

Episodes 17-19

Episode 20

Episodes 21-24

Episode 25-26

The End of Evangelion

Overall, Neon Genesis Evangelion is an amazing series that has both great mech action and mind-bending suspense. More than that, though, it has an overarching message to never give up, even when things get in your way, even when life gets you down. Never give up.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#9 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

and to think that this show seems so brilliant because of anno's depression; the feeling of grief he felt and displayed unto his art

and the ship wars

#10 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

and to think that this show seems so brilliant because of anno's depression; the feeling of grief he felt and displayed unto his art

and the ship wars

There are ship wars in this series?

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#11 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

There are ship wars in this series?

the rei vs asuka debate with the ocassional kaworu stuff, (it's mostly a waifu thing but the ships have been there since forever)

#12 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

NGE was one of the first "serious" anime I watched and it definitely didn't disappoint. I always felt like the criticism of Shinji was very, very unwarranted. At the time that this was in its early US popularity I was extremely active on a DBZ forum/website and there was a preference for more action-y heroes that I felt contributes to the anti-Shinji sentiment. The kid is supposed to be messed up!

I go back and forth between NGE and RahXephon as to which I prefer.

#13 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

the rei vs asuka debate with the ocassional kaworu stuff, (it's mostly a waifu thing but the ships have been there since forever)

25 episodes in and there aren't any ships in this series in my eyes.

Well, I never even considered the Rei ship or the Asuka ship. And I just saw episode 25. I'm still confused about Kaworu's entire existence tbh. I wouldn't say there was anything yaoi going on. I think Shinji was just really glad that someone genuinely expressed his love for him. Shinji blushing was cute though.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#14 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

NGE was one of the first "serious" anime I watched and it definitely didn't disappoint. I always felt like the criticism of Shinji was very, very unwarranted. At the time that this was in its early US popularity I was extremely active on a DBZ forum/website and there was a preference for more action-y heroes that I felt contributes to the anti-Shinji sentiment. The kid is supposed to be messed up!

I go back and forth between NGE and RahXephon as to which I prefer.

I agree. I also don't see why people hate Shinji so much... He's a troubled teenager. He ran away a lot, but he always, always came back in the end. I actually really like him. If there's anyone you should hate, it's Gendo, lol (good villain though).

Edited by trang95, 09 February 2016 - 07:26 PM.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#15 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

Are we done with 3.37583926393 or not yet?

#16 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

Are we done with 3.37583926393 or not yet?

Not yet. Hideaki Anno is too busy with filming Godzilla or so.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#17 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:24 PM

Not yet. Hideaki Anno is too busy with filming Godzilla or so.

Japan and their prides being hurt or something when USA do something.

#18 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:32 AM

There isn't a real villain or so to say if you do not take the angels in consideration. Simply put, he followed his interest to heart's content but to no avail.

3.0+1.0 this summer screencap this

#19 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:54 AM

There isn't a real villain or so to say if you do not take the angels in consideration. Simply put, he followed his interest to heart's content but to no avail.

3.0+1.0 this summer screencap this

One could argue Seele is the villain of the show, but there isn't a big bad in the traditional sense.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#20 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

One could argue Seele is the villain of the show, but there isn't a big bad in the traditional sense.

Yeah, I agree. In the end, it was all but a clusterkitten and Anno managed to pull it off on such a tight budget, too. It's such a shame, though, since Miyazaki never appointed him as a director. (Anno's dream is/was to direct a movie/series under Miyazaki)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anime, 90s anime, hideaki anno, mecha, deconstruction, post-apocalyptic, action, drama, psychological, sci-fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users