Close
Photo

Phantasy Star Online 2 (ENGLISH RELEASE - SPRING 2013)

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Sorry about the lack of updates! I've been struggling to find some way of converting my videos, but now I may have the solution thanks to everyone who helped in the H&E Tech forum. smile.gif

For now, here are some snippets of info, gleaned from my own gameplay and those of others at PSO-World:

The dynamic weather DOES affect the terrain! If it rains heavily, the water level of rivers, puddles, and lakes will rise. Some rivers will become fast-flowing, constantly trying to carry you away in its current. The terrain can really affect the flow of battle, and you can quickly find yourself at a disadvantage if you forget to mind your surroundings.

Some people have actually been struck by LIGHTNING, which gives you a status effect of Shock (not sure how exactly it affects your character, but it seems that you might not be able to pull off attacks from time to time).

Forces have been loving Zonde. In the normal camera mode, it acts exactly like PSO's Zonde, striking enemies that you're locked onto. However, switch to TPS view (Gears of War view), and the Zonde will strike EXACTLY where you aim your crosshairs. smile.gif This can mean lots of fun with charged-up Zondes.

Techs aren't the only thing that can be charged - Hunters and Rangers can also charge their Photon Arts after building up an attack gauge (think the Super gauge in Street Fighter 4), unleashing more powerful attacks. smile.gif

#42 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Here's the first video, more later. Recorded in 1080p. smile.gif

Kurama is my HUnewearl, and the others in the party are members of PSO World. Marle (HUcaseal), Lachesis (RAcaseal), and Selina (FOnewearl).

I plan to upload two more later today. There is SO much info that we've learnt about the game, I'll have to do a summary post linking all manner of things.

Oh, BTW, Sega are planning to run an OPEN beta of the game in spring/summer. If anyone is interested, I'll post info on how to join in when Sega announces it. smile.gif It'll be in Japanese, but it's easy to navigate/play once you know what to do.

#43 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Feb 5 2012, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, BTW, Sega are planning to run an OPEN beta of the game in spring/summer. If anyone is interested, I'll post info on how to join in when Sega announces it. smile.gif It'll be in Japanese, but it's easy to navigate/play once you know what to do.

Yea, sign me up for that! biggrin.gif

Great video btw Smiter. I noticed there was a bar that was filling up on your action pallete, what was that?

#44 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Feb 5 2012, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea, sign me up for that! biggrin.gif

Great video btw Smiter. I noticed there was a bar that was filling up on your action pallete, what was that?

OK, will try. wink.gif

Thanks. smile.gif That bar is a power/combo gauge, which you fill up by doing normal attacks. When a block lights up, that increases the power of your Photon Art. It plays a part in the Hunter's Custom Combo, which I shall try to illustrate:

Say you set up 2 different Photon Arts on a weapon. In this case, Kurama has the following on her Wired Lances:

PA 0: Grab and spin.
PA 1: Grab and throw.
PA 2: Grab and throw.

If no blocks are filled (PA 0), then she will just do a grab and spin. If a block is filled (PA 1), then she can grab and throw, then immediately use her grab and spin afterwards if I press the PA button again. You can exploit the power gauge to create custom combos of your own. For example, on the gunblade (Gunslash in this game so they don't get sued by Squeenix tongue.gif) I had it so that if at least one block was filled, she could launch the enemy into the air, then immediately do a quickfire stabbing combo while it was still in the air.

Sorry I couldn't update more videos yesterday, I was having trouble with my PC and it got pretty bad yesterday. It turned out one of the RAM sticks was faulty, so I ordered new ones on fast delivery from Amazon, which thankfully solved the problem!

This is another video of mine showing a familiar foe in a surprising place. Lachesis went looking for boxes in a multiparty area, and found something else entirely.

QUOTE (Mike (Lachesis) from PSO World)
It's also a nice example of dragon-locking. Once you break the tail crystal, the dragon will stop moving giving you time to freeze its legs. The breaking free animation takes precendence over the tail regen animation so the dragon will try to break free of the ice and then go back to regenerating its tail. Repeat.

And here is a video by youcantcatchtheblue on PSO World. You are watching a FOmarl with only a Gunslash equipped.

Forces are back. smile.gif She can charge up techs without a rod or cane, but there have been concerns about the techs being too weak without them. However, a lot of players have raised those concerns with Sega, so hopefully they will tweak that part of the game for the beta. Maybe higher base tech damage and a reduced boost from Force weapons would balance it out?

I was hoping to post some more info, particularly about class skill trees, but I have to go!

#45 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Another video of mine! This video does not contain any dragons.

I was just minding my own business, soloing Caves in free field (think normal PSO mode). Then I discovered I was in a multiparty area... XD

I have a big video of multiparty chaos. It's longer than the others, so it may be lower quality when it's uploaded later this week.

#46 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Last video, this is multiparty in the Caves. It's 720p this time due to the length.

Sorry about the glitches in the video, FRAPS was having problems at the time and it was probably that dodgy RAM problem.

Multiparty is a fantastic way to meet other people, and you're even allowed to join a different party in the middle of a multiparty area, as long as that party has at least one space free. smile.gif

#47 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the videos Smiter!

How many parties are allowed in a multiparty area?

#48 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Feb 10 2012, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the videos Smiter!

How many parties are allowed in a multiparty area?

No problem. smile.gif I'm happy to answer any and all questions you may have, too!

For multiparty, it's not really the number of parties - more like the number of players. Multiparty has up to 12 players at the same time, which is 3 full parties or a mix-and-match of various-sized parties and solo players. You only meet up in that area; once you leave the area, it's only you and your party. A LOT can happen in a multiparty area, and you can even have boss encounters within it (like the Dragon Surprise video I posted).

A nice touch in PSO2 is that you only have to be within range of a kill to get EXP from it. smile.gif In previous PSO games, you had to tag a monster to get EXP from it, which could make things tricky for support forces. Now, players can just focus on killing their targets as quickly as possible without worrying about tagging monsters, and support Forces can focus on healing/buffs/debuffs and still soak up all the EXP from nearby kills. This feature also helps you in multiparty areas, as it can feel like full-on war with everything dying around you. laugh.gif

Here's a couple of links for you to digest:

New Grinding System in PSO2

PSO2 Translated Skill Trees (All Classes)

Some interesting features that show a lot of potential. smile.gif

#49 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...h-pc-crossplay/

I think here's an incentive for people to buy PSVita. XD

#50 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Mar 9 2012, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.joystiq.c...h-pc-crossplay/

I think here's an incentive for people to buy PSVita. XD

Damn you SEGA!

I might have to get a Vita if I don't get a PC that can run PSO2.

I'm hoping this'll come out on PS3 as well biggrin.gif

#51 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Here's the video of PSO2 Vita. This is just an early build, and so looks a lot more basic than the PC version.

I have mixed feelings about this announcement. It's great to hear that it will use exactly the same data and servers as the PC version, so Sega have learnt their lesson from Phantasy Star Universe. smile.gif But, I am a little concerned about how they will handle updates across the two platforms (and any future platforms they may have under cover). Sonic Team had originally stated that going PC-only had the advantage of it being an open network that wasn't controlled by either Microsoft or Sony, so Sonic Team could host their own servers and install updates without having to wait for the go-ahead from Sony and/or Microsoft's QA teams.

But, we shall see!

This would be great news for PSO2 addicts. You could walk around anywhere (with a phone signal or Wi-fi), and be able to check your stuff or play missions out in the fresh air! Sure, there are laptops, but the Vita is easier to carry. wink.gif

#52 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

There have been a few updates since my last post!

Since it would take a long, long time for me to write out all the details with pictures here, I shall simply link you to PSUblog:

http://bumped.org/psublog/

In summary:

Mags are back! You can feed them like you used to in PSO, and they can transform into beasts to fight alongside you. Feeding can decide what form Mags take and what Photon Blast they use. However, they will no longer affect your stats.

Three new weapons were revealed:

Partisan (Hunters only) - This weapon can launch a frontal shockwave, and it can be spun to boost your combo gauge.

Launcher (Rangers only) - This heavy weapon can only be fired while the character is standing still. Rangers can also ride the launcher like some sort of rocket bike!

Talis (Forces only) - This card weapon can be used to trigger techs. For example, set Razonde on a card and throw it up into the air, and it will rain lightning from the skies! There are other uses, such as setting Resta onto a card and throwing it at fellow party members to heal them from a distance. Needless to say, the Force players are excited. wink.gif

The lobby area was also redesigned, and first details of the Story Mode have also emerged. The video below shows the new lobby and all the above updates:

All the above will be included in the Closed Beta, details of which will be announced on the 26th of March. smile.gif

#53 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

*ahem*

Ladies and gentlemen... I would like to announce that Phantasy Star Online 2 will be...

FREE. TO. PLAY!

PSU Blog source

Kotaku has also covered it.

It will be released on PC, Playstation Vita, and smartphones (both Android and iOS). The PC and Vita versions will be able to play together, while the smartphone versions will be more focused on a single-player experience.

Each one of those platforms will be released as a FREE download, and there are NO monthly fees. When you play for free, there are no restrictions imposed on your class level. In addition they will not sell overpowered weapons as cash items for large sums of cash either. The basic roots of the game won’t be restricted either so that people with little time to play can still experience the game thoroughly.

On April the 5th, there will be a Character Creation Demo that ANYONE can download for free. It will work even if you are offline, and you can save your character creation data for the upcoming beta. It will also deliver a benchmark score to let you know how your PC will cope with running PSO2.

Finally, the closed beta will run at the end of April, and they are aiming for the PC version to release in Summer this year. No English version has yet been announced, but hopefully they will do so soon. smile.gif

UPDATE: You can try applying for the Closed Beta - http://bumped.org/ps...ed-beta-signup/ I already participated and hit max level in the second Alpha test, so I'll be there. smile.gif

Now that PSO2 is going to be available for PC/Vita/Android/iPhone, and will be free to download and play, you really have no excuse not to give it a try. wink.gif

#54 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

The good news, it's free. I can't complain about that.

The bad news, I have nothing to extort from the Sandwich. Friggin' Jo!

#55 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAA.

They're gonna do this, and then start charging monthly when an expansion comes out. That's how we all got hooked on PSO1 in the first place lol.

#56 GoNeKr@zY

GoNeKr@zY

Now THAT is a Flame War!!!

• ANBU
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,Books, Sci Fiction, etc<br />And Fanfiction........ Loads and loads of Fanfiction.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

i wish i could make a segaid :/ dont have a japanese browser.
neither do i understand japanese.... at all...

#57 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

XD

You guys should try applying for the closed beta (using this guide) if you have (or have access) to a PC that can run recent games. The only tricky part is the Japanese language captcha, but you can get through it by copying and pasting the correct characters:

Hiragana chart
Katakana chart

Even if you don't apply for the closed beta, or cannot get in, there will be an open beta after the closed beta. smile.gif From the sounds of it, it may be in May or June. They will be running a test of the Arks Cash shop as well, where everyone gets 10,000 AC to "spend" on items. So we'll find out how Sega plan to fund PSO2 with the cash shop.

You might be right about the expansion, Jo. smile.gif Sakai did say the basic game was free to play, so it's certainly possible that expansions such as new areas and missions may be cash shop items. In an ideal world, they would allow party leaders with the expansion to host missions in the new areas for people who don't have the expansion - just like how Dungeon Defenders allows players to share DLC by hosting.

Looking forward to playing with you guys. biggrin.gif

I so want this:

EDIT: Krazy, somehow I missed your post! You only need to add Japanese to the languages your browser displays. smile.gif For Chrome, go to Options > Under the Hood > Languages > click Add and select Japanese, and that's it. smile.gif

#58 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

New video showcasing the Closed Beta features!

PSO2 Closed Beta Features Roundup

#59 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, the character creator demo/benchmark is now available for download! biggrin.gif

Click here for the download link and an English guide to using it.

Snap some screenshots of your creations and post them here!

#60 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Apr 5 2012, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ladies and gentlemen, the character creator demo/benchmark is now available for download! biggrin.gif

Click here for the download link and an English guide to using it.

Snap some screenshots of your creations and post them here!

Will make some Sexy HUneys at work tomorrow! HAHAHA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users