New Signature Rules

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

OK, I have been meaning to post about this for some days, but the banner coding and RL kept taking precedence.  :sweatdrop:

We admins and mods have decided to redesign the Signature Rules.  Since we had the H&E forum upgrade, the old code that limited the signature became invalid.  This meant that there were no automatic restrictions on any signatures, so some people have actually been breaching the size limits.

We now have an in-built system for signature limits, and we will activate it at 11:59pm BST (GMT +1)  this Sunday the 22nd of September.  This will give everyone time to adjust their signatures.  :happy:

The new rules we are proposing are:

• 1 image is allowed, with a maximum size of 550 x 400 pixels (subject to change).
  • A maximum of 3 lines are allowed. e.g. 1 line with an image, 2 lines of text.  Or 3 lines of text.

Because of the limitations of the system, it was not possible to simply just state a maximum total signature size, so we've had to make adjustments.

Thanks for reading.  :smile:

#2 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

I'm not sure what size mine is, is it too big? If so how do I adjust the size? Or do I have to change it entirely?

#3 Jake

Jake

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

I tried to keep the images in my sig small, but will I have to edit my sig?

HampESig_zpsfc7d2080.jpg

#4 Darkness

Darkness

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm not sure what size mine is, is it too big? If so how do I adjust the size? Or do I have to change it entirely?

Based on the new rules, I'm afraid yes. To see it's size just open the image on a new tab (your sign currently is 723 X 1024).

To resize it there are plenty of ways to do that. I can help you if you want. :)

bKTC2.png

#5 Kster95

Kster95

Cat Sage

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Naruto, bleach, Sword Art Online, Young Justice, Game of thrones, Legend of Korra, Cats, Heroes

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Good change, some sigs were taking up alot of space.

43iduct.jpg

#6 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Based on the new rules, I'm afraid yes. To see it's size just open the image on a new tab (your sign currently is 723 X 1024).

To resize it there are plenty of ways to do that. I can help you if you want. :)

I'll let you know if I need any :happy: .

#7 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

Good update. It was starting to get just a liiiiittle bit grating having to scroll past such large sigs.

I just tried opening mine in a new tab to check the size, yet I couldn't find it. Is it different for .gifs?

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 18 September 2013 - 03:23 AM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#8 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

It's not a big deal to me since I'm usually limited to smaller sigs, thanks for at least allowing us to keep it larger than most sites.

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#9 Darkness

Darkness

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

Good update. It was starting to get just a liiiiittle bit grating having to scroll past such large sigs.

I just tried opening mine in a new tab to check the size, yet I couldn't find it. Is it different for .gifs?

Yes, it's a little different but not by much. In your case right click on your sign and download it to your PC if you haven't already. Then right click on the file, click on "Properties" and finally click the "Details" tab (I'm assuming you are a Windows user, just let me know otherwise). 

Your sign size is 500 x 209 pixels.    :wink:

bKTC2.png

#10 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

I'm guessing mine is correct? One image and one line of text.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#11 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

I'd suggest also cutting out animated gifs in sigs. It makes pages load very slowly even on my low speed broadband connection, and the more on a page the worse it gets.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#12 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys!

I'm afraid it's far too big.  You can adjust the size by shrinking or cropping in an image editor.  If you don't have an editor, there are image hosting sites that can resize your image for you, such as Photobucket.  :happy:

I tried to keep the images in my sig small, but will I have to edit my sig?

Yes, our rules will only allow for 1 image.  I did consider allowing multiple images with a smaller size each, but it would have punished those who only had a single reasonably sized image.  At least multiple images can be combined into a single image using an image editor.

I'm guessing mine is correct? One image and one line of text.

It's perfect, no problem there.  :D

I'd suggest also cutting out animated gifs in sigs. It makes pages load very slowly even on my low speed broadband connection, and the more on a page the worse it gets.

I've forwarded your suggestion to everyone on the mod team, and we'll discuss it.  :happy:   It is true that it is difficult to keep an eye on file sizes with animated gifs, and not everyone is aware of how large they can get.

#13 Jake

Jake

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yes, our rules will only allow for 1 image.  I did consider allowing multiple images with a smaller size each, but it would have punished those who only had a single reasonably sized image.  At least multiple images can be combined into a single image using an image editor.

Oh, well I guess I'll have to combine them then.

HampESig_zpsfc7d2080.jpg

#14 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Okay, so I tried messing with the size and made it way smaller, but it didn't stick. What am I doing wrong? Darkness, Smiter, anybody?

Edit: I also tried editing on photobucket, like suggest and it went fine, but once I typed in the new URL in said the image had been moved or deleted. :argh:  I don't know what I'm doing with this :umm:

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 18 September 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#15 Darkness

Darkness

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

Okay, so I tried messing with the size and made it way smaller, but it didn't stick. What am I doing wrong? Darkness, Smiter, anybody?

Edit: I also tried editing on photobucket, like suggest and it went fine, but once I typed in the new URL in said the image had been moved or deleted. :argh:  I don't know what I'm doing with this :umm:

Hm, I can't say for sure what you are doing wrong. Anyway, I took the liberty to resize it in an image editor, I'll send it to you via PM.

However there are several ways we can work with your sign. If you think it became too small we can cut some edges and zoom in some areas to make it look better while respecting the maximum size.   :thumbsup:

bKTC2.png

#16 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hm, I can't say for sure what you are doing wrong. Anyway, I took the liberty to resize it in an image editor, I'll send it to you via PM.

However there are several ways we can work with your sign. If you think it became too small we can cut some edges and zoom in some areas to make it look better while respecting the maximum size.   :thumbsup:

Thanks. From there, how would I go about putting it up as my signature? I'm sorry if I sound like a retard with this stuff, I'm just not used to doing this kind so stuff. But, through trial and error, as they say...

#17 Darkness

Darkness

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

Thanks. From there, how would I go about putting it up as my signature? I'm sorry if I sound like a retard with this stuff, I'm just not used to doing this kind so stuff. But, through trial and error, as they say...

Don't worry about it! No one is born knowing everything. :P

To use any of the signs I sent to you, right click on it and click "Copy Image's URL". After that you'll have it's URL copied and all you have to do is right-click on the field you need to write it and select "Paste". 

You can follow Saku-chan's great tutorial to upload your sign:

Tutorial

Edited by Darkness, 18 September 2013 - 07:51 PM.

bKTC2.png

#18 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Fixed! :w00t:  Ugh, what a hassle. But I can't thank you enough for your help Darkness! :glomp:

#19 Darkness

Darkness

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Fixed! :w00t:  Ugh, what a hassle. But I can't thank you enough for your help Darkness! :glomp:

I'm glad to help.  :D

bKTC2.png

#20 coolcatjas

coolcatjas

Lvl.70 ブレイバー

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Basic stuff like anime, manga, drawing, reading, movies, ect..

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

All right, just edited my signature. Is this good enough or do i need to change anything :o?

swi1pKF.png
Image drawn by me :D

Tumblr Account Pony Account

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users