Close
Photo

What is considered canon in Naruto?

Naruto Canon Retcons

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: What is Canon? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you consider Naruto 'Canon'?

1. The 700 Manga chapters (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Voted 700 Manga chapters + The Last + the Gaidens + The Buroto film (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Anything that Kishi has made in the Naruto Universe (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (Please elaborate if chosen) (7 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SlyNinjaKnight

SlyNinjaKnight

Loyal Follower of the OTP of Naruto

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Fandoms: Naruto, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Star Wars and others.

Wish that Kishi would just stop trying to 'fix' Naruto, I guess that no one ever told him the phrase 'digging your own grave'. I will remember fondly the characters that made me love Naruto that were sacrificed at the all-mighty altar that is money (and crazy fan boys/girls).

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:40 PM

I don't know if someone has already created a topic already but I was wondering what everyone considered Naruto's 'true' canon? I know that Kishi has said that Naruto: The Last is the only 'canon' movie but we have all discussed and dissected the numerous chronological errors that were in the film. 

To me, Canon is the 700 manga chapters plus the Naruto Gaiden (can't recall the title but the one that Sarada was the main character even though Naruto was the title character, pretty much like the original manga). Anything else is EU, or expanded universe much like the Star Wars books that weren't the films books. 

So what do you all think?

#2 Shadow1275

Shadow1275

Lone Wolf

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts
  • Interests:I have lots of hobbies..

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:00 PM

Chapters 1-692 and all of the movies save for the Last and Boruto. Everything else is a complete travesty

He Who is Brave is Free-Seneca

^I have a lightsaber your argument is invalid^

"You may be called upon yet again to defend the glory of the Republic against the tyranny of the Dark Side. For this, is the destiny, of the Jedi..."

#3 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

What Shadow said.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#4 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:08 PM

Anything Kishi says is canon is canon. The Last had errors and was bad, but I will never say its not canon regardless of how much I dislike it.

#5 RedFaction

RedFaction

Legendary Pirate

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:11 PM

Anything Kishi says is canon is canon. The Last had errors and was bad, but I will never say its not canon regardless of how much I dislike it.

Even if it's canon we still don't have to accept it. The canon is kitten anyway.

Edited by RedFaction, 20 September 2015 - 11:12 PM.

#6 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:24 PM

I refuse to accept 693-700 the Last and Burrito the movie canon. 

509356167_759751.gif?4

#7 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:31 AM

Gaiden's, Burrito the movie, Hiniata the Movie, and all 700 chapters.

The only thing I am unsure of are the fillers. I heard he adopted stuff from them, but I don't think he ever made them canon as a whole. the first six movies I don't think are canon either.

I don't get the impulse to deny that the 693 and beyond as not being canon. Being garbage has no bearing on its canon nature. And it's not like a great series suddenly collapsed on that day. Sakura's character was finally put out of her misery in 693 when it undid all of her meaningful development, but the series was in a massive slide before that.

The war arc was awful for many reasons The Obito is cool moment came prior to that and it's probably the single most reprehensible moment of the entire series. As awful as all the pairing disasters are, Naruto's character, in particular, was being butchered to hell well before 693. I always had issues with how simplistic his ideal was handled, but Obito is cool turned it into a embarrassing joke. Him becoming a giant reactionary character happened before that Him being the descent of a one of the sage's son and, thus, the kittening all over the basic foundation of his character before that as well.

Naruto's neglect as a father and general obliviousness are bad. But the Naruto I rooted for for much of this series died long before 693.

That said, no matter how terrible, canon is canon whether we "accept it" or not.

#8 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:12 AM

I mean if we considered anything past 693 as "not canon", then there really is no reason to be upset.  Why would we all be ranting and angry for the past year if the canon material ended at 692?

#9 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:16 AM

the manga, the last and Boruto. they are connected to each other and Honestly I'm not the type to fan discontinue something just cause I don't like it.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#10 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

The only thing I am unsure of are the fillers. I heard he adopted stuff from them, but I don't think he ever made them canon as a whole. the first six movies I don't think are canon either.

I don't get the impulse to deny that the 693 and beyond as not being canon. Being garbage has no bearing on its canon nature. And it's not like a great series suddenly collapsed on that day. Sakura's character was finally put out of her misery in 693 when it undid all of her meaningful development, but the series was in a massive slide before that.

The war arc was awful for many reasons The Obito is cool moment came prior to that and it's probably the single most reprehensible moment of the entire series. As awful as all the pairing disasters are, Naruto's character, in particular, was being butchered to hell well before 693. I always had issues with how simplistic his ideal was handled, but Obito is cool turned it into a embarrassing joke. Him becoming a giant reactionary character happened before that Him being the descent of a one of the sage's son and, thus, the kittening all over the basic foundation of his character before that as well.

Naruto's neglect as a father and general obliviousness are bad. But the Naruto I rooted for for much of this series died long before 693.

That said, no matter how terrible, canon is canon whether we "accept it" or not.

giphy.gif

#11 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:40 AM

What is canon? What does it mean to be canon because honestly, ever single fan is in denial one way or another. Even the pro-enders live in a denial world of what the "true canon" is. They can't even accept the retcons and asspulls of the whole series.

It's all canon. All of it. Even the AU stuff. Why? Because if a movie that wasn't even written by Kishimoto can be considered canon, then a movie that IS written Kishimoto is canon.

Of course, I don't accept anything beyond the Pein Arc anyway.

So what is canon? Anything that Yahagi was involved in. He was the one who started the series and anything that doesn't involve him is not canon.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#12 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

Anything that kishi consider as canon is canon.
That mean the manga, naruto gaiden, the last, and burito are canon.

#13 nikki1314

nikki1314

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Interests:NARUSAKU , FANFICS , NARUSAK.. oh ive said that.. MUSIC , Photography and NARUSAKU!

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

What SP wants.

-Naruto ending gets released- 

Kishi: Honey, I’m home! 

His wife:

tumblr_inline_nw89a6rhAY1smwzjq_500.gif

#14 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

Exactly. We can hate and reject it all we want, but whatever the creator says is canon -- well, that's all there is to it. Even if it's complete bull that I refuse to subject myself to read/watch, it's all still part of the official canon because Kishimoto endorsed it as such.

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 23 September 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#15 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:30 PM

I personally only trust the manga. The whole manga is what is canon to me. Movies are pointless. And the anime is FILLED with changes and fillers. So for me, canon = manga, and manga alone.

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#16 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:32 PM

Yes, yes, yes, to everything you said. It's perfect. 

But I still had to vote 'other' in the poll at the top because I think there are really two questions here.

First, what is canon? Well, technically everything produced by the franchise, as an official Naruto product, (manga, novels, movies, anime and yes, even fillers) should be considered canon. So it's really a no-brainer. All that crap is canon, whether we like it or not.

But the second question, for me, is what is canon for NS? And though I think that Kishimoto stopped caring about his story sometime after the Pain arc, I think that NS is canon up until 699, when Naruto says "Thank you Sakura-chan," the international language of love in the manga.

(You could argue that there are som definite NS moments in the Sarada story — with Naruto acting the way a husband should with his emotional speech about not believing anything else but your feelings then saying "Let's go rescue your mom" while Sasuke said nothing — but I for me the chance for NS ended with the advent of NH and SS in 700. I feel like any NS after that is just baiting by SP or Kishimoto.)

So for me there's a canon arc for NS within the manga, but it ends with Naruto saying "I love you" in code to Sakura.

But really, the long-running, plotted and well-executed graphic novel that was Naruto stopped at the end of the Pain arc, and instead became an episodic comic that supported the anime. Aside from a few shining moments (the reunion of Kushina and Naruto being one of them) the story was traded for mini-arcs that ran like a dot-to-dot. Loosely connected moments that only added up to the barest outline of Naruto's story. Not the fully-formed, complex and multi-layered picture of Naruto's hero's journey that the manga used to be. 

#17 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:30 PM

But I still had to vote 'other' in the poll at the top because I think there are really two questions here.

First, what is canon? Well, technically everything produced by the franchise, as an official Naruto product, (manga, novels, movies, anime and yes, even fillers) should be considered canon. So it's really a no-brainer. All that crap is canon, whether we like it or not.

But the second question, for me, is what is canon for NS? And though I think that Kishimoto stopped caring about his story sometime after the Pain arc, I think that NS is canon up until 699, when Naruto says "Thank you Sakura-chan," the international language of love in the manga.

(You could argue that there are som definite NS moments in the Sarada story — with Naruto acting the way a husband should with his emotional speech about not believing anything else but your feelings then saying "Let's go rescue your mom" while Sasuke said nothing — but I for me the chance for NS ended with the advent of NH and SS in 700. I feel like any NS after that is just baiting by SP or Kishimoto.)

So for me there's a canon arc for NS within the manga, but it ends with Naruto saying "I love you" in code to Sakura.

But really, the long-running, plotted and well-executed graphic novel that was Naruto stopped at the end of the Pain arc, and instead became an episodic comic that supported the anime. Aside from a few shining moments (the reunion of Kushina and Naruto being one of them) the story was traded for mini-arcs that ran like a dot-to-dot. Loosely connected moments that only added up to the barest outline of Naruto's story. Not the fully-formed, complex and multi-layered picture of Naruto's hero's journey that the manga used to be. 

I know what you mean, Tricksie. I feel the same, and even now, close to a year after, I am fuming because Kishimoto just gave up on caring about the story to allow SP to judge how it would go. @_@ Without thinking of what HE as the author wanted, allowing his editors to convince him to take the path he chose, which proved to be a huge failure. Something tells me this indecision of his is going to follow him into his next work, and that he will never live it down, unless he decides to do something about it, like admit he screwed up, or even retcon the ending, even if I doubt he's got the guts to do so.

Edited by Bryon_Konoha_Ninja, 24 September 2015 - 02:31 PM.

#18 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:18 PM

I've thought a lot since 700 about the shift in the story around the Pein arc, but I hadn't considered that it shifted towards a series of mini-arcs rather than a cohesive narrative. That's a great point.

#19 archangel

archangel

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:28 AM

Option A can either count up to 698. The conclusion (699-700), The last and everything else after that ain't worth my time (Boruto and the rest in that future) Nope.

Option B. Everything that happen up to the end of the pain arc. Where Naruto has actually triumph, became the leaf hero, villager finallly accept him, Iruka retrospect and monologue to the 3rd and 4th Hokage. Sakura hugging him and thanking him while Hinata watch it all and smile( ACCEPTING IT AND LIVING WITH IT.)  At this point, you either forgot and don't care about Sasuke and the dude with the orange mask or you make your own ending from there, because this is where the story start to go downhill or you just consider Naruto an incomplete manga. (I rather consider it incomplete without an ending than acknowledging the after 698)

In other word, nothing is universally canon, especially with all the ass-pull and the story-shifting that were going in this manga. It's a personal question. For me, I take up to 698 and I take my own ending as canon since I felt like it give more closure to this story. That how bad I think of it by the end. YEAH, I rather be in total denial than accept the illogical mess that start at 699.

Incredible, I'm still pissed about it lol.

Edited by archangel, 26 September 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#20 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

Exactly. We can hate and reject it all we want, but whatever the creator says is canon -- well, that's all there is to it. Even if it's complete bull that I refuse to subject myself to read/watch, it's all still part of the official canon because Kishimoto endorsed it as such.

Okay, so according to Kishimoto and what he endorses. (This is all the interviews, etc.)

Salad is actually Sasuke and Karin's kid and they lied to her the whole time because of some mysterious reasons.
SasuSaku and NaruHina get a divorce because they are horribly miserable
Naruto and Sakura have an affair because why not? Not like Sasuke and Hinata actually put out and seeing how their relationship is closer than anything else, it is easy to see them doing this.
Sasuke and Sakura never had sex period because Kishimoto never said they did.

And the Road to Ninja Universe is completely canon and that "was what he wanted to do the whole time." Got it.

Canon for the win.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users