• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 kirabook

kirabook

Examiner

• ANBU
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

So, I was reading an interesting -albeit old- fanfiction today, but I dropped it early for 1 reason and 1 reason alone, the author was inserting NaruHina into the plot.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind fanfictions that are just for romance stuff (But NaruHina must be avoided to save my sanity. o_o), but I HATE that a normal 'canon following' plot is tainted with uncanon pairings. I don't read non-romantic fics with any pairings in it, not even NaruSaku (there are a few that are the exception, but still). Most of the time any pairings that aren't yet canon seems.... forced, or not natural. At least in stories where it's supposed to be the actual plot of Naruto and not an AU.

My question is, why do authors feel it's required for Naruto to be paired with someone when the plot should be focused on Naruto or anything that isn't romance? *In this particular situation, it was a Naruto and Minato father and son fic* It's so unappealing and it takes away from what the plot should be about. I want to read about Naruto and his father making it work, not him hooking up non-canonically with someone. I feel like I miss a lot of interesting Naruto imaginations, but I just can't stand it when pairings are slapped into it, it's just not... Naruto. Not currently.

Some authors can really make it work I guess. Sometimes if fits in certain situations. But in a majority of fanfiction, they do not fit, they're forced, and it makes it seem like the author didn't really think anything through other than getting Naruto paired with someone. I mean, it's fanfiction for a reason...

I just wanted to know, if I'm the only one that feels this way? Annoyed when romance that isn't canon -I don't mind MinaKushi for example at all of course- is stuffed into the plot for no good reason? Am I the only one that finds it unappealing? Do people really like shallow romances?

.... I really hope I put this in the right section. sweatdrop.gif

Posted Image

Sig made by me though. XD

Check out my father and son Minato and Naruto group on FF.net
http://www.fanfictio..._No_Yaoi/74936/

#2 Rainy Daze

Rainy Daze

#1 Supporter of Akise Aru

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:ALLLLLL the interests. Yeah, I'll update this later.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

Yes, this probably belongs in the writer's corner (:

Yours is the epitome of unadulterated love. You are willing to carry out an act of justice in the name of said love, and hell you are still walking around trying to get to your beloved after your head has been chopped clean off your shoulders? You sir, are a kittening winner in my book.
Congratulations.

"...my beloved Yukiteru-kun..."

#3 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:lol git

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Lets get a mod up in here to change location.

#4 kirabook

kirabook

Examiner

• ANBU
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

Daw man. 8c I thought I did good too.

Posted Image

#5 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE (kirabook @ Apr 24 2012, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Daw man. 8c I thought I did good too.

Nah, you did good! I've thought about this a lot too!

It seems like there are some common ways for stories to unfold: with romance or without. (I could seriously flow chart this!)

With romance, you have
- straight Naru/Saku. Some tension, often a delayed relationship, but there are no other romantic interests
- slight NH and/or SS. Small romantic tension. Usually in the form of "my ex-boy/girlfriend."
- fullblown NH, SS. These stories are either a couple swap (Naruto and Sakura both leave their partners for each other) or revolve around the massive romantic tension of going from NS to NH then back to NS.

So I included NH and SS together because so often these pairings work in tandem. If an author writes NH, then Sakura seems to be almost always paired with Sasuke. And vice versa, though not as much.

Anyway, the point I'm getting at is a lot of times it seems like the pairings are just to keep things equal. There's not much thought in them past that. And you can see where all the pairings are going to fall: ShikaTema, ChojiIno, etc. So it's less about development and more about the author's desire to tie up the loose ends of the manga by assigning all the players their partners, and then shuffling around those pairs.

Personally, for some reason NH really bothers me, whereas SS does not. I think it's because I can feel some sympathy for a well-written Sasuke, whereas Hinata just leaves me flat. And yes, in the few SS stories that I like, Naruto is always paired with Hinata. So I skip over those parts when I read them. haha! Double standard much?! Why, yes! Yes I do! biggrin.gif

#6 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

My question is, why do authors feel it's required for Naruto to be paired with someone when the plot should be focused on Naruto or anything that isn't romance?

Romance/pairing is usually inserted in the fanfics - even if it's not classified as romance - because well, romance / pairing forms a big part even in real life...so writing a story with zero romance would not seem....real. That's my opinion, at least.

Now, about canon or non canon - I would say being in the Narusaku side, I naturally see this pairing as canon, but you bet that Naruhina fans see the naruhina pairing only as canon. So you cannot fault a naruhina fan in putting this pairing in their fic, in all fairness.

And I am very same as Tricksie in the sense that I cannot, I mean cannot, at all swallow a NH story!! But I do enjoy some SS fics though.
In fact, strangely, I really enjoy 2 other Sakura crack pairings - Sakura/Itachi and Sakura/Gaara, but I cannot, for the life of me, be taken to Naruto paired with any other girl other than Sakura !

#7 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Apr 24 2012, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I included NH and SS together because so often these pairings work in tandem. If an author writes NH, then Sakura seems to be almost always paired with Sasuke. And vice versa, though not as much.

I always thought that was in part because both in fanfiction and manga they work well together as pairings of convenience. Nobody in the main three pairings gets left out and has to be alone.

Anyway, the point I'm getting at is a lot of times it seems like the pairings are just to keep things equal. There's not much thought in them past that. And you can see where all the pairings are going to fall: ShikaTema, ChojiIno, etc. So it's less about development and more about the author's desire to tie up the loose ends of the manga by assigning all the players their partners, and then shuffling around those pairs.

Personally, for some reason NH really bothers me, whereas SS does not. I think it's because I can feel some sympathy for a well-written Sasuke, whereas Hinata just leaves me flat. And yes, in the few SS stories that I like, Naruto is always paired with Hinata. So I skip over those parts when I read them. haha! Double standard much?! Why, yes! Yes I do! biggrin.gif

I don't think it is. I'm the same way. Between the two I'd rather read SS, but for the most part when I read Sasuke centric stuff, I'm not really reading for romance.

In the right hands, Sasuke can be a deep and fascinating character. The life of never-ending trauma and manipulation by pretty much everyone who has ever known him can be worth reading if someone really wants to spend the time with it. IMO, it's not just the sympathy angle, but everyone who has ever known has jacked around with him and tried to get him to do what they wanted for them.

Now that I think about it has anyone ever (besides Kakashi at team introductions) asked what Sasuke wanted out of life? Even Naruto's rescue mission is partly for Naruto's own benefit.

Anyway, I don't have the same interest in her character. Her story is pretty bland at this point. I think if Kishimoto had given her an existence beyond Naruto, I might feel a little different, but even when I look at her family I think find more interest in Neji and Hanabi.

I just wanted to know, if I'm the only one that feels this way? Annoyed when romance that isn't canon -I don't mind MinaKushi for example at all of course- is stuffed into the plot for no good reason? Am I the only one that finds it unappealing? Do people really like shallow romances?

.... I really hope I put this in the right section.

Well, yeah, some do, but I do think that's really the issue. I consider myself pretty picky and I admit even if it is well written there are certain characters and pairings I don't care about or flat out do not like. I don't want to read about those even if it is well written and deep. I'm not not just reading about romance in the abstract.

At the same time, even if it's pairings I like I don't want to spend time reading junk. I'm not going to spend time with a NaruIno (a pairing I really like) fic regardless of how much I like the pairing if it's poorly written and shallow.

So...yeah, when it comes to romance, I do care about who shacks up with who to the point where I won't read even well written stuff that focus on people and pairings I hate. I can manage if it's only a minor side issue to an otherwise interesting and well written story. At the time, I will still stay away from crap no matter the pairing. Crap is Crap.

As to the rest of your post, I don't mind romance creeping into such things cannon or not, so long as it doesn't overtake the fic. In your father/son example, I'd quit reading if Minato ending up falling into the role of matchmaker or his primary interest in Naruto got reduced to getting his son paired off. If it's a side issue, I could probably manage as long as I didn't hate the pairing or if I did, that the Minato/Naruto stuff was so good I could ignore the rest.

In fact, strangely, I really enjoy 2 other Sakura crack pairings - Sakura/Itachi and Sakura/Gaara, but I cannot, for the life of me, be taken to Naruto paired with any other girl other than Sakura !

I enjoy lots of Naruto crack and a decent amount of Sasuke crack. I've had a hard time find Sakura crack I like. SakuLee...I could probably do that. I can't do SakuIta though. I don't know why. I really don't like any Itachi pairings.

Saku/Gaara? Might have to give that a shot. I'm not a huge Gaara fan, but I guess it worth a try.

#8 kirabook

kirabook

Examiner

• ANBU
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Madz @ Apr 25 2012, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is, why do authors feel it's required for Naruto to be paired with someone when the plot should be focused on Naruto or anything that isn't romance?

Romance/pairing is usually inserted in the fanfics - even if it's not classified as romance - because well, romance / pairing forms a big part even in real life...so writing a story with zero romance would not seem....real. That's my opinion, at least.

Now, about canon or non canon - I would say being in the Narusaku side, I naturally see this pairing as canon, but you bet that Naruhina fans see the naruhina pairing only as canon. So you cannot fault a naruhina fan in putting this pairing in their fic, in all fairness.

And I am very same as Tricksie in the sense that I cannot, I mean cannot, at all swallow a NH story!! But I do enjoy some SS fics though.

I don't fault just NaruHina fans. As I said, even sudden NaruSaku moments can catch me off guard when it doesn't fit in with the previous flow of the plot. If the focus has been Naruto and Minato's drama, why is Sakura or Hinata suddenly taken the center stage of what the plot is supposed to be about?

That is what I don't like.

QUOTE (Nate River @ Apr 25 2012, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, yeah, some do, but I do think that's really the issue. I consider myself pretty picky and I admit even if it is well written there are certain characters and pairings I don't care about or flat out do not like. I don't want to read about those even if it is well written and deep. I'm not not just reading about romance in the abstract.

At the same time, even if it's pairings I like I don't want to spend time reading junk. I'm not going to spend time with a NaruIno (a pairing I really like) fic regardless of how much I like the pairing if it's poorly written and shallow.

So...yeah, when it comes to romance, I do care about who shacks up with who to the point where I won't read even well written stuff that focus on people and pairings I hate. I can manage if it's only a minor side issue to an otherwise interesting and well written story. At the time, I will still stay away from crap no matter the pairing. Crap is Crap.

As to the rest of your post, I don't mind romance creeping into such things cannon or not, so long as it doesn't overtake the fic. In your father/son example, I'd quit reading if Minato ending up falling into the role of matchmaker or his primary interest in Naruto got reduced to getting his son paired off. If it's a side issue, I could probably manage as long as I didn't hate the pairing or if I did, that the Minato/Naruto stuff was so good I could ignore the rest.

You touched on the specific type of fanfiction I see way to often. Minato has been brought to life and he and Naruto have some tension they have to work out. That's great, just my type of fiction..... but why is Minato creating all these schemes to hook up Naruto with Hinata when he should be trying to work out his problems with his son? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Posted Image

#9 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Saku/Gaara? Might have to give that a shot. I'm not a huge Gaara fan, but I guess it worth a try.

Nate River, If you want to read some Sakura/gaara, I suggest starting with the oneshot Tension or the 2 chaptered The Konoha Blend by Sharingank, to test the waters. (He/ she is among my most admired writer and has written some astounding Narusaku fics, I'm sure you know him/her!)
It is due to him/her that I became interested in sakugaara, lol.

#10 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Madz @ Apr 25 2012, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nate River, If you want to read some Sakura/gaara, I suggest starting with the oneshot Tension or the 2 chaptered The Konoha Blend by Sharingank, to test the waters. (He/ she is among my most admired writer and has written some astounding Narusaku fics, I'm sure you know him/her!)
It is due to him/her that I became interested in sakugaara, lol.

sharingank is a she.

She used to mod here when the site was first created.

I've read some of her NS work. And I agree, she is very good.

#11 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Apr 25 2012, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always thought that was in part because both in fanfiction and manga they work well together as pairings of convenience. Nobody in the main three pairings gets left out and has to be alone. ...

I don't think it is. I'm the same way. Between the two I'd rather read SS, but for the most part when I read Sasuke centric stuff, I'm not really reading for romance.

In the right hands, Sasuke can be a deep and fascinating character. The life of never-ending trauma and manipulation by pretty much everyone who has ever known him can be worth reading if someone really wants to spend the time with it. IMO, it's not just the sympathy angle, but everyone who has ever known has jacked around with him and tried to get him to do what they wanted for them.

Now that I think about it has anyone ever (besides Kakashi at team introductions) asked what Sasuke wanted out of life? Even Naruto's rescue mission is partly for Naruto's own benefit.

In reading from a writer's perspective, there are certain hurdles in the plot...or rather certain existing structures that beg to be filled out. And I'm always curious to see how the writer will handle that. Most often, the problem of pairing is easily remedied by assigning everyone their partner. No one gets left out, as you said. But it's the quickest and often least creative way of working up the plot.

So I'm always impressed when a writer can tapdance around the issue of pairings by leaving some unfilled or even unmentioned, or when the writer jumps into the story at the crucial moment and the pairing questions are answered only as they become relevant to the plot (or again, if they are answered at all).

To be fair, I don't read a lot of fanfic. Most stories don't do it for me. So my assumptions are based on the ones I've read and the ones I've read enough of to decide I don't want to go any further.

I agree, Sasuke is a great character. Lots of depth there. A helluva lot more than "Hn." Which is what he's most often relegated to! So I enjoy well written Sasuke characters. Also like Gaara. He's another one with a lot of depth and plot flexibilty.

And @kirabook, I agree: there are quite a few NS stories that turn me off. For all the usual reasons, too. happy.gif

#12 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

That moment when I kinda read one NS fic a week then the rest of the Week im either reading NaruIno or NaruTen fics.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#13 kirabook

kirabook

Examiner

• ANBU
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

I read a lot of fanfiction, but very rarely are any pairings involved. I mean, I don't mind If it's an AU universe and a romance based plot for NaruSaku, but i haven't found any action based plots where the author can balance the pairings correctly.

As for Sasuke related fictions, there are quite a few that I think are OK, though none of them are Sasuke centric. I also realize all the fanfiction s with Sasuke in it that I like are If he never went to Orochimaru, though he is still tormented or If he's already been redeemed in some unspecified way, though is probably still tormented of guilty.

Sorry for any mistakes... I blame my phone

Edited by kirabook, 26 April 2012 - 12:10 PM.

Posted Image

#14 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (Madz @ Apr 25 2012, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cannot, for the life of me, be taken to Naruto paired with any other girl other than Sakura !

It would be my guess that Naruto couldn't either. happy.gif

QUOTE (kirabook @ Apr 25 2012, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's great, just my type of fiction..... but why is Minato creating all these schemes to hook up Naruto with Hinata when he should be trying to work out his problems with his son? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Maybe because the author is just looking for plausible ways to justify their pairing? In the example you give, it would make Hinata seem very important if Minato, who as you rightly say should be focused on his relationship with his son, spends his precious time trying to ensure that Naruto is with the right girl -- "the right girl" in the eyes of the fan fic writer. Such plots are just a way of giving NH (in this case) a power, legitimacy, and sense of urgency that doesn't exist in canon.

QUOTE (tricksie @ Apr 25 2012, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also like Gaara. He's another one with a lot of depth and plot flexibilty.

True story. So far he's my favorite character to write in the Naruto universe, hands down. I love Gaara.

#15 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (Madz @ Apr 25 2012, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I totally agree. Besides, romance has a part in the manga itself, too. Okay, maybe not a huge part but it is important because it drives characters forward.

lol, I'm just like that. Give me any Sakura crack pairing just for the fun of it, but I don't want Naruto with anyone else. biggrin.gif

I absolutely agree. I like reading fanfics about Sasuke because I really like how some authors portray his thoughts and feelings. Sometimes they put thing I never really thought of before and it gives me a whole new perspective in which I see him. I guess that's why I can't make myself hate or dislike Sasuke, because of so many real stories that show he's not just this crazy emotionless monster.

#16 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

I don't mind the non-cannon pairings as long as the author is up front about it. I dislike being misled when I'm reading a story. Nothing annoys me more than reading a fic, not expecting any romance at all, and then BAM! here comes a weird pairing out of left field that doesn't even contribute anything meaningful to the plot. It's just there.

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users