• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Forgot to ask earlier.... Is anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year? There were a few last year I think, myself included. Nanowrimo is National Novel Writing Month, where you write 1,666 words a day to get to 50,000 words by the end of November. It's hard work and a lot of fun.

Uh...well, that is if you're actually getting writing done. sweatdrop.gif As of right now, I'm about 20,000 words behind. Yeah. But I'm not giving up. I'm just going to have to up it to 2,500+ words per day.

#2 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

No. I have been tempted a few times over the years, but November is always way too busy for me without adding another expectation I'll feel badly about if I don't meet. My stupid chronic health problems make it very difficult for me to hit deadlines -- just ask my boss, lol -- so I don't set myself up for unnecessary stress. I have enough just working on my novels at all, and updating my two fan fics.

I wish you all kinds of luck, though. It's a great challenge.

#3 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:lol git

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Nov 14 2012, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgot to ask earlier.... Is anyone doing NaNoWriMo this year? There were a few last year I think, myself included. Nanowrimo is National Novel Writing Month, where you write 1,666 words a day to get to 50,000 words by the end of November. It's hard work and a lot of fun.

Uh...well, that is if you're actually getting writing done. sweatdrop.gif As of right now, I'm about 20,000 words behind. Yeah. But I'm not giving up. I'm just going to have to up it to 2,500+ words per day.

Nope. Hard work is abundant as is; no need to go out of the way to find more.

#4 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (KnS @ Nov 15 2012, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. I have been tempted a few times over the years, but November is always way too busy for me without adding another expectation I'll feel badly about if I don't meet. My stupid chronic health problems make it very difficult for me to hit deadlines -- just ask my boss, lol -- so I don't set myself up for unnecessary stress. I have enough just working on my novels at all, and updating my two fan fics.

I wish you all kinds of luck, though. It's a great challenge.

Yeah, this year has been much harder than last year. A bad cold at the end of October coupled with travel has whittled my writing time down to nothing. I've only just now had any time to write, and the month's half over! So we'll see how it goes. (If it gets too hard, I might drop my original fic this time and stick with writing/finishing my fanfics. So I'd be a nanorebel, but I'd still get it done.)

It's been a great experience though, to concentrate on writing for quantity not quality. It made me dig deep and be creative just to hit those word counts day after day.

It's crazy they do it in November. It's a really busy time of year for most people (in the U.S.). I always wonder why they didn't choose February? kruemelmonsteryn0.gif

#5 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

I'm actually trying to tackle NaNoWriWo this year. As of yesturday, I'm at 30,400 words. It's been tough setting aside the time to write, but I had to really push. I hope to go beyond the 50,000 and see if I can finish the novel, so we'll see.
End of line.

#6 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (AchikaMiyu @ Nov 15 2012, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm actually trying to tackle NaNoWriWo this year. As of yesturday, I'm at 30,400 words. It's been tough setting aside the time to write, but I had to really push. I hope to go beyond the 50,000 and see if I can finish the novel, so we'll see.

Yay! I was wondering if you were doing it too! 30k already - you're way ahead! If you've gotten this far, I don't doubt that you'll be able to finish the novel.

I was thinking today that writing for nano is harder and at the same time more freeing than my regular writing. It's harder because I have to do it everyday, including when I would rather not being doing it. But I have a little more creative freedom because I have to stop myself from editing as I write. I just write. I don't go back and second guess and hand-wring over a word. I don't have time! I've got to hit my word count! laugh.gif

Best of luck for the rest of the month and in reaching your novel goals afterwords!

#7 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Nov 15 2012, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yay! I was wondering if you were doing it too! 30k already - you're way ahead! If you've gotten this far, I don't doubt that you'll be able to finish the novel.

I was thinking today that writing for nano is harder and at the same time more freeing than my regular writing. It's harder because I have to do it everyday, including when I would rather not being doing it. But I have a little more creative freedom because I have to stop myself from editing as I write. I just write. I don't go back and second guess and hand-wring over a word. I don't have time! I've got to hit my word count! laugh.gif

Best of luck for the rest of the month and in reaching your novel goals afterwords!

Thanks!

I'm with you on using NaNoWriMo to just let the creative juices flow. It's like upending a box of toys just to get them all out and then going through it to find the ones you want. When I try writing without a deadline or set goal, it takes me much longer than it should to crank out a story. It's part musing over the words and part laziness in finishing the story. Well, best get back to the grind!
End of line.

#8 GoNeKr@zY

GoNeKr@zY

Now THAT is a Flame War!!!

• ANBU
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,Books, Sci Fiction, etc<br />And Fanfiction........ Loads and loads of Fanfiction.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

Im actually curious. Are the stories you guys writing original fiction ? Or fanfiction ?

#9 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (GoNeKr@zY @ Nov 16 2012, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im actually curious. Are the stories you guys writing original fiction ? Or fanfiction ?

Last year I did a narusaku fanfic, "Love Made For Fools". This year I'm doing original fiction.
End of line.

#10 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (GoNeKr@zY @ Nov 16 2012, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm writing an original fic for this year's nanowrimo. But it still has to do with ninjas! heheelq7.png

Last year I wrote a steampunk-ish fairytale. But I haven't back gone to re-edit it yet.

I'm still writing my Naruto fanfics alongside the nanowrimo project, though. But the point of nanowrimo is to write new content, to start writing a story you havne't worked on before. The thinking is that you are more likely to finish something that's new, instead of trying to breath life into an old idea. If it's something you've worked on before, your more likely to quit it.

But also, just achika said, writing for nano is a lot different than other writing. When I'm writing my fanfics, I've already written most of it. So I'm constantly editing notes, etc. But for nano I have to start fresh. So yeah, it makes me stretch and be a lot more creative, exploring tangents and adding characters. Basically, it's like opening the creative faucet wide open.

I would do a fanfic for nano if I had one that I hadn't already started on...but...I've already gotten several started that I haven't posted yet.

You can do anything you want for nanowrimo, even if you started it already. You are just considered a 'rebel' if you do. And there are lots of people who redo the same nanowrimo work over a couple of years.

Sorry if this is too much info or if you already know about it! laugh.gif November is my month of writing too much!

#11 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Best of luck, Tricksie, for the nanowrimo...

#12 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

thanks madzy-chan! *hugs*

Actually, I've come to a desperate decision. I've had such a busy month, so many things pulling me in so many directions, I think I'm going to shelve my original project and just work on A Voice in the Wind fanfic to try to even finish a decent wordcount by the end of the month. That's right. The month that ends in seven days. (My nanowrimo stats tell me that I will finish next January! Ugh!)

So...if you like the fanfic.... Actually, that was the deciding factor. I could spend the next seven days writing my butt off, and still not have anything to publish on the ff. Or I could shelve the novel (which is going to take a lot of research into feudal Japan as well as plot-crafting...translation: a lot of nano writing that I probably won't ever use) and write something I a) love, b) want to write, and c) want to finish!

(oh yeah - I'm still in nanowrimo, just switched to a rebel (which is what you are when you write outside the parameters, like more than one work for the 50k word count).)

#13 GoNeKr@zY

GoNeKr@zY

Now THAT is a Flame War!!!

• ANBU
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,Books, Sci Fiction, etc<br />And Fanfiction........ Loads and loads of Fanfiction.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

As much as i love a voice in the wind i hope i somehow didnt influence your switch D:
And i hope that i get to read this original story you wrote. Regardless of how unfinished
It is biggrin.gif the stuff you need to research makes me extremely curious about what you
wrote already =D

#14 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Do you even need to ask whether I like Voice In the winds??? lol....I'm so so looking forward to the coming parts!
I'm sorry about your orginal fic - hope you still complete it even if it's not until the time limit...but I believe as far as you can write something during this nanawrimo timescale, then you could be satisfied, right?

And ah, I do know what it is to be too busy...These past seven month or so have been so full to the hilt that I barely had time for any hobbys...even if things are much lighter now, I'm still trying to take the leap of starting my next fanfic...but still feel too tired, lol.
Anyway, best of luck again....!

#15 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

W00t! I just went over the 50K mark and I still have much more story to write. I haven't even gotten to the climax yet. Just need to keep on writing for the rest of this month. I'm going to see if I can finish the novel by the 30th so we'll see. No big deal if I need more time after November to do it since I hit the goal. smile.gif

Hope the fanfic writing is going well Tricksie!
End of line.

#16 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

@achika miyu - Yay! Congrats on winning! I'm sure you can hit your goal to finish since you're so far along. Yeah, the fanfic writing is going much better. I didn't realize how much I was stressing about my lack of writing time/dwindling stats. So switching turned out to be a good thing. I've been able to get a lot more written in the little time I've had.

@madz - wink.gif I'll come back to the original fic sometime soon. I got a really thorough outline/rough draft done, so I'm happy about that. I feel like I've succeeded in the spirit of nano...just not the word count! lol

@gonekrazy - so, the original fic is about a girl from a shinobi family and a guy from a samurai family, in the early 1800s, about the time when the two way of lifes were tapering off. Still around, but not seeing so much active fighting anymore. The girl's father is the last line in their shinobi family, and most everyone thinks the skills will end with him. But when a local intrigue occurs involving the visiting samurai, another young shinobi appears on the scene (the girl). The samurai and the shinobi have to overcome their prejudices to get to the bottom of the crimes. Meanwhile, in social settings the girl is coming to know — and dislike — the samurai, while the samurai is becoming more and more attracted to the girl with the quick wit and even quicker reflexes.

Since I'd like to try to make it as authentic as possible, I realized I need to know a lot more about the ins and outs of Japanese society at that time. What were houses like, were men and women out together in company, etc. etc. It doesn't have to be a perfect historical account, but I don't want to make glaring errors, or build a plot around something that they would have never done at that time period. I'll post it when I get more of it knocked out!

Now back to writing fanfics! laugh.gif

#17 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

I originally panned to entered last month, but video games and new fanfiction projects kept me away.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

#18 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (Konoha'sCrimsonFox @ Dec 19 2012, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I originally panned to entered last month, but video games and new fanfiction projects kept me away.

smile.gif You can always do fanfic or be a rebel and do a project you've started on before the Nov. 1st starting mark. Maybe next year!

#19 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Dec 19 2012, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile.gif You can always do fanfic or be a rebel and do a project you've started on before the Nov. 1st starting mark. Maybe next year!

I still have the story I was working on in the the flash drive. Hopefully I will participate next year.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users