Warning to All Fanfiction Writers!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
204 replies to this topic

#201 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jul 21 2012, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm saying that your complaint is pointless. If you can still login with just your email address, then why the hell are you complaining?? it's not like they're forcing you to login with FB or Twitter (which would be horrible). To be honest, it sounds like you're just ranting for the sake of ranting here.

ermm.gif *sighs and moves on*

QUOTE (Catwho @ Jul 21 2012, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edit: Checked, my current pen name was established in March 2001. I think that was when I was first brave enough to post a fic. Before that I just read stuff. wink.gif

My oldest and currently most used account was created back in 2001 too. High-five to us old schoolers 111191.gif

#202 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (Catwho @ Jul 21 2012, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I was there around the founding of FF.net in 1998... that was my freshman year in college. x_x Geh, I feel old. Prior to that, we got our fics off the rec.arts.anime.creative BBS system, which had a totally different culture than FF.net and emphasized quality over quantity. If I remember right, posts there are screened by editors before getting posted, and short updates are greatly discouraged. FF.net filled a void by allowing folks to sort by series and writers to post their stuff without mod intervention.

Edit: Checked, my current pen name was established in March 2001. I think that was when I was first brave enough to post a fic. Before that I just read stuff. wink.gif

You may have been a member since then, I know I was, I had a whole slew of Rogue and Gambit of X-men comics fanfic (M rated but no more sexy than your standard historical romance published in the 1990's- I figured if that's acceptable to be available on store shelves in Kroger, Walmart, Kmart, etc... it's acceptable for anyone who was allowed to read M rated fanfics) They were quite popular amongst Rogue and Gambit shippers back in the late 90's-early 2000's, even some other ship people liked them. Even influenced a few to switch ships smile.gif

But in 2001 they had this huge crash or something and lost a huge percentage of the pre 2001 fics and people's old profiles too, including mine. I never bothered to reupload my Rogue and Gambit fanfics because that was also when they first started doing the giant purging of M rated fics- at first it was almost every M rated fic, although they later eased off on that. I still had them on my old Geocities page, so if anyone asked I pointed them there. (Too bad Yahoo bought Geocities out then shut down all the free websites in 2010.) I still have the fics saved on my old computer hard drive but eh, they are so old, and although I'm still as much a Rogue and Gambit shipper as I was, the stories would be so far from the now totally messed up storylines in the comics that I don't want to bother with it- that's what happens when characters are owned by corporations, not writers and artists. It's fun to run into folks at conventions who say- "Wow, you're Ciardha? I loved your Gambit and Rogue stories!"

Guess all but the last is what makes me slow to upload my narusaku fanfics on FF net and quick to upload them on deviantart- besides it being easier to upload onto deviantart.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#203 Nefertieh

Nefertieh

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jul 22 2012, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may have been a member since then, I know I was, I had a whole slew of Rogue and Gambit of X-men comics fanfic (M rated but no more sexy than your standard historical romance published in the 1990's- I figured if that's acceptable to be available on store shelves in Kroger, Walmart, Kmart, etc... it's acceptable for anyone who was allowed to read M rated fanfics) They were quite popular amongst Rogue and Gambit shippers back in the late 90's-early 2000's, even some other ship people liked them. Even influenced a few to switch ships smile.gif

But in 2001 they had this huge crash or something and lost a huge percentage of the pre 2001 fics and people's old profiles too, including mine. I never bothered to reupload my Rogue and Gambit fanfics because that was also when they first started doing the giant purging of M rated fics- at first it was almost every M rated fic, although they later eased off on that. I still had them on my old Geocities page, so if anyone asked I pointed them there. (Too bad Yahoo bought Geocities out then shut down all the free websites in 2010.) I still have the fics saved on my old computer hard drive but eh, they are so old, and although I'm still as much a Rogue and Gambit shipper as I was, the stories would be so far from the now totally messed up storylines in the comics that I don't want to bother with it- that's what happens when characters are owned by corporations, not writers and artists. It's fun to run into folks at conventions who say- "Wow, you're Ciardha? I loved your Gambit and Rogue stories!"

Guess all but the last is what makes me slow to upload my narusaku fanfics on FF net and quick to upload them on deviantart- besides it being easier to upload onto deviantart.

I've never read the Marvel comics but I often find myself reading about random stuff on Wikipedia. I remember coming across and article about Rogue and Gambit's relationship one time and I thought it sounded very romantic. Glad to see it's popular too. smile.gif

I usually save the fanfics I like because a lot of authors delete their stories after a while. There was a narusaku story called "Second Chance" by Redcrow that was deleted when the author decided to rewrite it. In short, I think you should upload your old stories somewhere, because there are people out there who really love a memorable story.

Follow the Yahoo JP ratings for The Last here.

#204 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:16 AM

Just wanted to toss up here that FF.net has now added the ability to NATIVELY download chapters for a story. It's under Story Manager, Content/Chapters. The good old floppy disk icon is there. (Someday, children will have to ask what the save icon means, because they won't know what a floppy disk is...)

About time!

They've also streamlined the Upload new chapter a bit.

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#205 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Catwho @ Aug 5 2012, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They've also streamlined the Upload new chapter a bit.

I've been uploading new chapters for the last 15 weeks, I haven't seen any change in the upload a new chapters part.

Edit: I see, they must have made this change within the last couple of days. Because it wasn't like that on Monday.

Edited by No WhereMan, 06 August 2012 - 03:19 AM.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users