Close
Photo

General Tech Thread

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

Poll: General Tech Thread (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you own a Crackberry? (Blackberry)

1. Yes. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No. (22 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Aug 1 2010, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lenovo for gaming? I haven't seen a Lenovo with great gaming specs, they're mainly business laptops.

Alienware? Too costly. Unless you're looking at the M11x. Which is 11", and has a nice price. Other than that, their laptops are really expensive. Not to mention they're owned by Dell now. =/

Toshiba is fairly good. You'd have to do some research before finding a gaming spec'd laptop made by them though. I suggest looking at ASUS or Acer. They have some decent gaming laptops at a good price.

Gaming laptops have 2-3 hours of battery life though. And most come with 320GB or 500GB hard drives now. Memory? Most laptops come with 2GB ram. I've seen Dells with 6GB ram, but at a $1299 price.

Up to you, though.

And honestly, fast broadband speeds really depend on your internet provider. Most NIC's are fast speed standard now. Although my old laptop did come with a modem built in...

Lenovo does have some gaming specs laptop though they are still more well known for their durability and office-use specs.

Alienware, have to agree with you, they are hella expensive and simply not worth the money

Toshiba I recommend looking for the high end satellite series, they are available in quite good specs and good price too (I saw one with i5 and 500 Gb Hard disk, Built in wireless modem, 4Gb RAM at under 1200 AUD which is quite a bargain) or Qosmio Series if you're looking for stylish look (I love that series' Red lining, dang they look beastly)

Battery-wise, Cloud pretty much said it all.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#62 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:06 AM

Desktop
------------------------------
Dell E520
Core: PentiumĀ® duo D CPU 3.00 GHZ
Hard drive: 81.00 gigs plus and extra 320 boost power
Graphic card: G force 98000
Ram: 4 gigs memory
windows xp
I got that baby hooked up to my 26' TV which is a viori HD

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 01 August 2010 - 01:09 AM.

#63 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:06 AM

Oh yeah, the Qosmio series are nice for gaming. Saw one on a website I frequent. $1600 though. =/

I think it was an Core i7.

#64 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Aug 1 2010, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah, the Qosmio series are nice for gaming. Saw one on a website I frequent. $1600 though. =/

I think it was an Core i7.

Gaming laptop is rarely cheap anyway. most of them you're looking at above 1200 already with only i3/i5 and 320 Gb. Considering Qosmio tend to comes in style and power, I don't think its overpriced.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

#65 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jul 31 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gaming laptop is rarely cheap anyway. most of them you're looking at above 1200 already with only i3/i5 and 320 Gb. Considering Qosmio tend to comes in style and power, I don't think its overpriced.

That red and black finish on it was pretty sexy.

My current ASUS had a white one, but it was lower spec'd, so I didn't buy it. Mine is dark brown, almost black. I love the color on it. biggrin.gif

#66 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Aug 1 2010, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That red and black finish on it was pretty sexy.

My current ASUS had a white one, but it was lower spec'd, so I didn't buy it. Mine is dark brown, almost black. I love the color on it. biggrin.gif

I'll b honest, I nearly bought it when I first saw them in the store (at friggin 2100 AUD when they first comes out but seriously, I couldn't tear my eyes from it). Too bad I didn't have the budget at that time but i swear that when my current laptop gives out, I know what I gonna buy next tongue.gif

#67 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

ASUS and Acer are underrated as gaming laptops but they get the job done.

i7 and mobility 5870 for ~ $1600.

#68 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE (roninmedia @ Aug 1 2010, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The main problem with ASUS and Acer are their durability, ASUS is especially worrisome when it comes to their motherboard which Acer tend to be quite hard to maintain especially for long hours of gaming. not to mention that ASUS and Acer aren't exactly good on their power consumption or battery durability. My friend use an ASUS and he have to change the battery twice in less than a year.

#69 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (roninmedia @ Jul 31 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not mine.

I dunno. Durability to me? ASUS is fine, because my old one went through hell. Drink spills, bumps, scrapes, scratches. After 3 years, it still ran fine.

Mine was i7 and Mobility 5730, probably $1400. Some people have had problems with their ASUS, others have not. It just depends on your luck I guess. Acer, on the other hand... ugh.

I didn't even update my BIOS on this laptop because the current one apparently bricks your motherboard. Although, on the battery issue.... I dunno. My old one, the battery lasted 3 years, nearly 4 before the thing went to crap and decided not to hold a charge.

Edited by Cloud, 01 August 2010 - 01:57 AM.

#70 Ulgamoth

Ulgamoth

H&E's Sun Pokemon

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:I like Naruto, hence me being here. I also enjoy Death Note manga, Dragon Ball and DBZ manga and Full Metal Alchemist manga. In to metal music but can listen to ALMOST anything. Love playing video games, specifically Pokemon. Currently working on Pokemon Black. Spore is EPIC and so is Fallout New Vegas. Disturbed in the house, droppin' plates!

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:03 AM

Manufacturer:
Dell
Processor:
IntelĀ® Coreā„¢2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache, 2.4GHz, 1066FSB)
Memory:
3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
Hard Drive:
320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Video Card:
Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT 256MB
Monitor:
22 in Dell 2208WFP Wide Flat Panel Moniter
Sound Card:
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speakers/Headphones:
Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer
Keyboard:
Dell USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard
Mouse:
Dell Premium Optical USB Mouse
Mouse Surface:
Smooth?
Operating System:
Genuine Windows VistaĀ® Home Premiun w/ Digital Cable Support SP1
Motherboard:
Unknown
Computer Case:
Very Shiney

Deep in the jungle camouflaged by all the fallen leaves
A hand holds up the sky while shamefully I make my plea
The alter's callin' but my legs won't seem to stand
Guess I'm a coward scared to face the man I am

#71 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Aug 1 2010, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The main problem with ASUS and Acer are their durability, ASUS is especially worrisome when it comes to their motherboard which Acer tend to be quite hard to maintain especially for long hours of gaming. not to mention that ASUS and Acer aren't exactly good on their power consumption or battery durability. My friend use an ASUS and he have to change the battery twice in less than a year.

Laptops and gaming...that thing should be sitting on a desk and plugged in 90% of the time anyways.

I've had quite a time with electronics not breaking down on me. I've only had one computer out of seven actually breaking down and that was due to a general recall of the graphics card. My sister on the other hand has had a Toshiba and HP laptop die within 2 years of each other going down with ruined motherboards.

Edited by roninmedia, 01 August 2010 - 02:07 AM.

#72 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:10 AM

Well, guess my friend drew the short straw on the list then. I personally think that if you're looking for Gaming Laptop its better to go for the good and proven ones despite the high price rather than ones in the middle range, they just not worth the risk. Then again I'm the type that goes follows the saying: There is no kill like an Overkill when it comes to laptops and PCs ^^;

PS: I think we need to change the title for this thread since this place is no longer about comparing computer specs but an all out geek discussion.

Edited by BlackLightning, 01 August 2010 - 02:13 AM.

#73 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:24 AM

If you don't truly need the mobility beyond generic office tasks, you can always go the route of gaming desktop + netbook.

I have a 9 year old Sony desktop whose components have never been replaced and working. The oldest laptop I have is a Dell that is 5 years old and its components have never been replaced either except for the frayed power cord. Lucky I don't draw short straws.

#74 adiktus

adiktus

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

I have an Asus with a broken hinge XP. Three years ago, this was a gaming laptop but now it's just...

Anyway, the specs are:

Core2Duo 1.7GHz
320GB 5400rpm disk (upgraded it from stock 80GB)
2GB DDR... um, I think it's DDR but it could possibly be DDR2
512MB ATI Card (x1400)

In a month, I'll be disposing this one because a new laptop will arrive biggrin.gif
Core i7 720
2x500GB 7200rpm
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
1GB ATI HD Card (5870)

So.. yeah..

#75 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:43 AM

I can't thank yall enough Cloud, BlackLightning, and roninmedia for the great advice and personal preferances. smile.gif This is gonna help me out alot since most of my friends including myself, don't know to much about computer tech.

I like your idea roninmedia of getting a gaming desktop and use a netbook for mobile web surfing but i'm unfortunately having space issues, so i'm limited to a good laptop. sad.gif

Edited by Uzumakikage, 01 August 2010 - 03:44 AM.

#76 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Jul 31 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like your idea roninmedia of getting a gaming desktop and use a netbook for mobile web surfing but i'm unfortunately having space issues, so i'm limited to a good laptop. sad.gif

Clean up yer damn desk. hm.png

#77 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Aug 1 2010, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clean up yer damn desk. hm.png

I have a family desktop room, but my room is to crowded with a entertainment center, chester stand, night stand, and queen size bed in a small room. tongue.gif

Edited by Uzumakikage, 01 August 2010 - 09:53 PM.

#78 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:17 AM

well... guess it goes back to what specs you're after and brand competition I guess.

#79 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Jul 31 2010, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got that baby hooked up to my 26' TV which is a viori HD

That's nice.

Anyway. We've given you tips, but its really up to you to buy it now. On second thought... I think I should plug my laptop into my brother-in-law's 40" LCD TV downstairs.... mmmmmmmmmmmm... HDMI goodness.

#80 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

So does get what you pay for really apply to buying laptops? sweat.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users