Close
Photo

"Naruto-kun."

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 Grace

Grace

I am Johnlocked. Formerly known as "Kushina".

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:42 AM

This occurred to me while reading a fanfic in which Sakura realizes her feelings for Naruto:

In the fic, once she came to accept that she loves him, she began calling him "Naruto-kun".

Wasn't so sure I liked that =/

To me, it would almost be....more impersonal if she started calling him that. Sai's already pointed out that she doesn't use a suffix when addressing Naruto, and even tried it himself as a way to be closer to both of them, showing us that her lack of the "kun" is a positive thing....right?

So...how would you feel if Sakura decided she "for realzies" loved Naruto, and then started calling him "Naruto-kun"? I've heard of people that support the idea, and people that don't. *shrug*

#2 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jul 13 2010, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This occurred to me while reading a fanfic in which Sakura realizes her feelings for Naruto:

In the fic, once she came to accept that she loves him, she began calling him "Naruto-kun".

Wasn't so sure I liked that =/

To me, it would almost be....more impersonal if she started calling him that. Sai's already pointed out that she doesn't use a suffix when addressing Naruto, and even tried it himself as a way to be closer to both of them, showing us that her lack of the "kun" is a positive thing....right?

So...how would you feel if Sakura decided she "for realzies" loved Naruto, and then started calling him "Naruto-kun"? I've heard of people that support the idea, and people that don't. *shrug*

In fanfiction, I think it works both ways... though to a large degree it depends on what point in the canon story she changes that address. If it's after the villagers have completely accepted him (the battle with Pein), it makes no sense for her to do so -- it's a step backwards in terms of intimacy, and even if they did have a step backwards she should change the form of address to 'san' to make her point -- kun makes zero sense after that.

However, if the villagers are still hostile\distrustful of Naruto, changing her form of address to a more formal, but still intimate, form of address like 'kun' could send a message that he had earned her respect, which (assuming the villagers respect her, too, which I believe they do) would be a clear message of support for him. I think, after the discussion she and Naruto had with Sai about why they didn't change honorifics for each other because it would be a distraction, if she were to make such a change of address for such a reason, she would need to explain it to Naruto himself so he wasn't offended (because there she formally told him that she was no longer not using his honorific to disrespect him, yet she felt they were close enough that they no longer needed honorifics between them; prior to that, while it might have been assumed, it had never been explicitly stated... at least, not as far as we know).

But in canon, I'd rather not see it at this point.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#3 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jul 12 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, if the villagers are still hostile\distrustful of Naruto, changing her form of address to a more formal, but still intimate, form of address like 'kun' could send a message that he had earned her respect, which (assuming the villagers respect her, too, which I believe they do) would be a clear message of support for him.

I'm not sure I could really see Sakura feeling like she'd need to do that though--then again, we're discussing something that might occur in fanfiction right?--she's more the type of person to exhibit her respect through her actions I think.

I think, after the discussion she and Naruto had with Sai about why they didn't change honorifics for each other because it would be a distraction, if she were to make such a change of address for such a reason, she would need to explain it to Naruto himself so he wasn't offended (because there she formally told him that she was no longer not using his honorific to disrespect him, yet she felt they were close enough that they no longer needed honorifics between them; prior to that, while it might have been assumed, it had never been explicitly stated... at least, not as far as we know).

Not sure I remember the bolded bit being part of the conversation... But I agree, if she were to make a conscious change she'd need to tell him first or else he'd assume something was up.

#4 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jul 13 2010, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure I remember the bolded bit being part of the conversation... But I agree, if she were to make a conscious change she'd need to tell him first or else he'd assume something was up.

headscratch.gif You know, I don't know what word I meant to put there other than "distraction," but that's sure as hell not the word I meant to put there.

Sorry, I don't remember the manga well enough to give chapter and verse of when the event occured, but I very distinctly remember the scene; it was the first time I'd ever seen Japanese honorifics actually discussed in the canon of a Japanese manga, so I really took note of it.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#5 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:31 AM

What it really is a mistake by fanfiction authors. Its basically a misunderstanding of the true meaning of Suffixes and the Kun suffix in particular. The Kun suffix is not meant in a romantic light but because Sakura always used it with sasuke it gets misinterpreted.

it falls along the same lines as the author making Sakuras behavior be because of her parents, or because she always followed the other kids, its there way to explain why sakura behaved the way she did to Naruto before changing but failing to understand the true reason.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#6 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (catsi563 @ Jul 12 2010, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What it really is a mistake by fanfiction authors. Its basically a misunderstanding of the true meaning of Suffixes and the Kun suffix in particular. The Kun suffix is not meant in a romantic light but because Sakura always used it with sasuke it gets misinterpreted.

it falls along the same lines as the author making Sakuras behavior be because of her parents, or because she always followed the other kids, its there way to explain why sakura behaved the way she did to Naruto before changing but failing to understand the true reason.

Interesting. I always took it to just be a way to address someone you care about but aren't exactly close to--as in the way Sakura uses "Sasuke-kun", or Hinata uses "Naruto-kun". Not necessarily in a romantic sense, but just as a way to show that you care for the person as more than just an acquaintance?

Could be totally wrong, though.

@desaix--

No big; if you wanna recheck the scene here's a link (just if you wanna remember what word you meant to use?):

http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/311/09/ <----First part.

#7 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

Let me answer you with a scene from one of my favorite movies ever.

JLHza2T.png

#8 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (Muffins? @ Jul 12 2010, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me answer you with a scene from one of my favorite movies ever.

111189.gif

You've made my night <3

#9 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

if you want a real interesting trick.

we know Sakura doesnt call Naruto by a suffix.

want to know another young lady who doesnt call her guy by a suffix?

hint. she has red hair and glasses.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#10 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

^Only when she's not being fangirly....

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#11 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Jul 13 2010, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe, but she's shown us (before he tried to kill her off) that she still sees him in a slightly fangirl-ish way even without calling him "Sasuke-kun".
I think her referring to him that way when they're alone is for humor only; doesn't really have to do with her affections so much as her trying to relay those affections in a way she thinks is flirty.

....even though it's mostly creepy =/

#12 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Neither does Kushina, she doesn't call Minato. Minato-kun...

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#13 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Jul 13 2010, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neither does Kushina, she doesn't call Minato. Minato-kun...

(Not sure who this is directed at, but whatever XD )

True, and as both Kushina and Sakura started off disliking their respective blonds, neither were really prompted to tack "-kun" onto the boys' names.

But here's a counter to that: For all we're aware, Kushina didn't have another boy she admired whom she did refer to with "-kun", whereas Sakura did. It may come down to the girl's idea of what that suffix implies--maybe Kushina was just the sort of girl to not bother with it, while Sakura's shown that she is.

#14 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jul 13 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Not sure who this is directed at, but whatever XD )

True, and as both Kushina and Sakura started off disliking their respective blonds, neither were really prompted to tack "-kun" onto the boys' names.

But here's a counter to that: For all we're aware, Kushina didn't have another boy she admired whom she did refer to with "-kun", whereas Sakura did. It may come down to the girl's idea of what that suffix implies--maybe Kushina was just the sort of girl to not bother with it, while Sakura's shown that she is.

:< that could be a spoiler. Or maybe is because Kushina is very real on her feelings which is something that Naruto took from her, since he blabbers out anything that comes into his mind. While Sakura had to keep her feelings hidden from the start of her childhood <3

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#15 8Hogake

8Hogake

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Jul 13 2010, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:< that could be a spoiler. Or maybe is because Kushina is very real on her feelings which is something that Naruto took from her, since he blabbers out anything that comes into his mind. While Sakura had to keep her feelings hidden from the start of her childhood <3

What do you meant that Sakura have to keep her feelings? She show she'd love Sasuke and she'd can cries alot. So I think those are feelings if I'm not mistake?

#16 Sherry

Sherry

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku of course!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

I believe Sakura has her feelings for Naruto but she might not realize it, not knows and keeps it secret. I know its 95% nonsense, but I want to believe that smile.gif

I mind a little about the suffix -kun where Sakura doesn't use it to call Naruto, because I think the using of that suffix make Sakura a more girly girl, not a tough one. I think she wouldn't call Naruto with that suffix because...she wants to be tough in Naruto's eyes?? Maybe, in my opinion. But she could use it, such as when she has a special time with him...in his or her house...at night...tehe fu.png

#17 Guest_New Revolution_*

Guest_New Revolution_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

the suffix -kun means not much of anything but respect notice every one calls sasuke sasuke-kun this is nothing to do with feelings.with out the kun means closeness formalism.
sakura crys for naruto look at the 4 tail scene.

Edited by New Revolution, 13 July 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#18 sardns

sardns

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Here's a question for y'all. What's more annoying to listen to: "Naruto-kun!" or "Kurosaki-kun!"?

#19 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

I want to be clear.

I

WOULD

HATE

THAT!!

NO, NO AND AGAIN NO!!!

#20 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Jul 13 2010, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Incorrect she doesnt call him that even when shes having one of her comedic moments.

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Catsis Fan Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users