30 replies to this topic

#1 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Figure I might as well throw this out there for you all smile.gif I work as a windows system administrator and I'm getting my master's degree in IT. I KNOW EVERYTHING (well, Windows related. I only know a few things about Linux and Mac.)

Sooooooo if you have any random questions about computer stuff you've been dying to ask, I'll be happy to answer.

Plus, you can try to stump me! laugh.gif

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#2 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Interesting I have to give it a whirl so here goes biggrin.gif I have an Asus laptop with windows 7 and the intel core i7 So for like a month now the two little buttons and the touch pad on the laptop are working even though I have my mouse plugged in. This was never a problem before so I figure my son did something. So now when I type the mouse pointer is constantly moving around because my hands are grazing the touch pad. It's annoying as hell and now I have to place something over the touch pad when I type but it still doesn't help. I goggled the problem and it told me to disable the touch pad. I went ahead and did it but its still working even though I disabled it and even though I have a mouse plugged in! I've been meaning to call tech support but being a mom makes me #1 super busy and #2 super forgetful XD So am I doomed to have to wait for tech support or is there anything else I can try. Much thanks biggrin.gif I think making this thread was a great idea, hope you can help me biggrin.gif

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#3 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Catwho @ Apr 23 2012, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Figure I might as well throw this out there for you all smile.gif I work as a windows system administrator and I'm getting my master's degree in IT. I KNOW EVERYTHING (well, Windows related. I only know a few things about Linux and Mac.)

Sooooooo if you have any random questions about computer stuff you've been dying to ask, I'll be happy to answer.

Plus, you can try to stump me! laugh.gif

Well, I'm relatively versed in the computer world. At least, enough to not destroy my computer. lol But I would like to know this: If one is to begin a career in IT, what certifications would you recommend approaching first?
On the morning of Wednesday, April 11th, 2012, my Aunt Karla passed away. She was my mother's baby sister, and my coolest aunt when I was a kid. She was the best babysitter ever, and she was like an older sister to me.

Karly, I don't know if you can hear this. I am not a believer, I haven't been since Sheryl died. But if you can, I want you to know that I'm truly sorry for everything bad I've ever said about you. When you were suffering, I should have been there to help you. I should have visited. I should have encouraged you to leave the house and get a job, to be active and alive the way you used to be.

I promise that I will do everything that I can to be successful and a good person, to make you proud the way you would have wanted me to. No matter what I said, I loved you. And I will always love you. Rest in Peace, you will never be forgotten.

#4 racerxdsr

racerxdsr

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

I would strongly suggest Security Plus Certification. Then whatever OS you like. VMware is big right now as well.

I am also System Admin for a major corporation.

Good luck.

#5 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (racerxdsr @ Apr 23 2012, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would strongly suggest Security Plus Certification. Then whatever OS you like. VMware is big right now as well.

I am also System Admin for a major corporation.

Good luck.

Now, are these certifications that can only come with a Bachelors/Masters program? Or are there any independent means of study and testing through which they can be obtained? Because, frankly, if I don't have to put myself tens of thousands in debt, I'd rather not.
On the morning of Wednesday, April 11th, 2012, my Aunt Karla passed away. She was my mother's baby sister, and my coolest aunt when I was a kid. She was the best babysitter ever, and she was like an older sister to me.

Karly, I don't know if you can hear this. I am not a believer, I haven't been since Sheryl died. But if you can, I want you to know that I'm truly sorry for everything bad I've ever said about you. When you were suffering, I should have been there to help you. I should have visited. I should have encouraged you to leave the house and get a job, to be active and alive the way you used to be.

I promise that I will do everything that I can to be successful and a good person, to make you proud the way you would have wanted me to. No matter what I said, I loved you. And I will always love you. Rest in Peace, you will never be forgotten.

#6 racerxdsr

racerxdsr

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (PachucoDesigns @ Apr 23 2012, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, are these certifications that can only come with a Bachelors/Masters program? Or are there any independent means of study and testing through which they can be obtained? Because, frankly, if I don't have to put myself tens of thousands in debt, I'd rather not.

Yes these are certifications. They can be obtained outside a degree program. If anything get an associates degree in a computer related field to start with as well, not required but helps. You can use that to build to get your bachelors eventually if you wanted.

#7 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (racerxdsr @ Apr 24 2012, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes these are certifications. They can be obtained outside a degree program. If anything get an associates degree in a computer related field to start with as well, not required but helps. You can use that to build to get your bachelors eventually if you wanted.

Excellent. I'll get on that.

#8 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

I used to know a lot about computers too, till I ended up forgetting over lack of studying. laugh.gif
But I have a question.

I have virus protection, firewall, pop up blocker, and all of those good things, but is it possible to get a virus from downloading a JPEG, GIF, Font files, or PNG image - say, from google - tumblr, etc? Working with photoshop has it's unfortunate side of risking things, but I was wondering if it was possible to get a keylogger from that, say if someone attached a backdoor trojan to the image files?

I was once told you can't get a virus unless you download something from said site that may contain a virus - so you could browse the sites freelance without any problem, but once you download it - boom, virus. I was told this by a professional. I've collected a good amount of viruses over time from just visiting sites that my security blocked, thankfully. ninja.gif

Edited by Fenris, 24 April 2012 - 01:15 PM.

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#9 racerxdsr

racerxdsr

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (Fenris @ Apr 24 2012, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to know a lot about computers too, till I ended up forgetting over lack of studying. laugh.gif
But I have a question.

I have virus protection, firewall, pop up blocker, and all of those good things, but is it possible to get a virus from downloading a JPEG, GIF, Font files, or PNG image - say, from google - tumblr, etc? Working with photoshop has it's unfortunate side of risking things, but I was wondering if it was possible to get a keylogger from that, say if someone attached a backdoor trojan to the image files?

I was once told you can't get a virus unless you download something from said site that may contain a virus - so you could browse the sites freelance without any problem, but once you download it - boom, virus. I was told this by a professional. I've collected a good amount of viruses over time from just visiting sites that my security blocked, thankfully. ninja.gif

Yes you can get viruses from just going to suspect sites. Most sites run scripts to run pop-up and execute code. Any keylogger software can make calls to remote locations to run on your local computer. As far as images I would say yes you could get viruses. Rule of thumb is treat all sites as hostile and run as your virus scans through them. I personally use a virtual machine for any downloading of images or data from the web. If something gets past my virus defense and corrupts my machine I reload the image. Unfortunately that is the age we live in these days.

Google is usually good about pre-scanning images but you have to understand it still gets them from the original source.

Regards

#10 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (racerxdsr @ Apr 24 2012, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes you can get viruses from just going to suspect sites. Most sites run scripts to run pop-up and execute code. Any keylogger software can make calls to remote locations to run on your local computer. As far as images I would say yes you could get viruses. Rule of thumb is treat all sites as hostile and run as your virus scans through them. I personally use a virtual machine for any downloading of images or data from the web. If something gets past my virus defense and corrupts my machine I reload the image. Unfortunately that is the age we live in these days.

Google is usually good about pre-scanning images but you have to understand it still gets them from the original source.

Regards

Thank you for the information ^^ I'll have to be more careful now.

What's virtual machine? sweatdrop.gif

jus drein jus daun.

#11 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Fenris @ Apr 24 2012, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's virtual machine? sweatdrop.gif

It's a windows program that lets you emulate a PC. So you use different Operating Systems on your computer without actually having to change anything on it.

Edit: I got a question. I'm taking the CCNA course right now via Cisco Net Academy, and is there a certificate I can take after finishing CCNA 1 and 2? I remember seeing it in the Cisco website, but I can't find it anymore.

Also, did any of you guys take Cisco Net Academy?

Edited by JoHamSandwich, 24 April 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#12 racerxdsr

racerxdsr

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Apr 24 2012, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a windows program that lets you emulate a PC. So you use different Operating Systems on your computer without actually having to change anything on it.

Edit: I got a question. I'm taking the CCNA course right now via Cisco Net Academy, and is there a certificate I can take after finishing CCNA 1 and 2? I remember seeing it in the Cisco website, but I can't find it anymore.

As far as for Cisco Certs. The only ones I am aware that my colleagues have are the CCNP and the CCIE. Most of the Network guys I work with deal with PIX firewalls. Make sure you know the differences between the different IOS versions b/c each one has limitations for running diags.

Hope this helps.

#13 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Apr 24 2012, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds really cool. Does it cost anything? sweat.gif

jus drein jus daun.

#14 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Virtual PC is free to download.

You just have to find an OS install disk. Or be a pirate and just download them lol

#15 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (Fenris @ Apr 24 2012, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to do it with my Mac all the time when I wanted to run windows programs on it.

Here is my question. I know Macs OS are the best for graphic designs, but what OS is the best for video making/editing? I am thinking Windows 7, but I want to have a second opinion.
My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#16 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE (Konohakitten @ Apr 23 2012, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting I have to give it a whirl so here goes biggrin.gif I have an Asus laptop with windows 7 and the intel core i7 So for like a month now the two little buttons and the touch pad on the laptop are working even though I have my mouse plugged in. This was never a problem before so I figure my son did something. So now when I type the mouse pointer is constantly moving around because my hands are grazing the touch pad. It's annoying as hell and now I have to place something over the touch pad when I type but it still doesn't help. I goggled the problem and it told me to disable the touch pad. I went ahead and did it but its still working even though I disabled it and even though I have a mouse plugged in! I've been meaning to call tech support but being a mom makes me #1 super busy and #2 super forgetful XD So am I doomed to have to wait for tech support or is there anything else I can try. Much thanks biggrin.gif I think making this thread was a great idea, hope you can help me biggrin.gif

Check on the side of the laptop for a physical switch. A lot of modern laptops will include switches to turn off wireless, turn off the touchpad, or do other things that use to be handled with software alone. There also might be a function key that'll do it, but you'd have to check your laptop manual to get the specific one (it's FN+F7 on mine, but I have a Lenovo.)

If you know the manufacturer of the touchpad service, as a last resort you can disable the service. Under the Start menu, click "Run..." and then type "Services." Look for the service that handles your touchpad, and change the setting from "automatic" to "disabled." You can always re-enable it later if you want to use the touchpad again.

#17 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE (PachucoDesigns @ Apr 23 2012, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I'm relatively versed in the computer world. At least, enough to not destroy my computer. lol But I would like to know this: If one is to begin a career in IT, what certifications would you recommend approaching first?

The A+ exam is considered the "base" certification at my office. It's the "how do I build a PC from the ground up?" cert, with basic troubleshooting like "create a batch file" and "schedule a chkdsk" thrown in for good measure. It's also one of the cheaper certifications (Microsoft and Cisco will charge you $$$$$) and shows you're fairly serious about entry level IT work. The pass rate is approximately 30% on the first try, so you do need to study for it!

Once you have A+, and have gotten hired at an IT shop, they will sometimes comp you for the more expensive ones. My office comps up to MSCE, which is $3,000. Half the folks in my master's program are getting a free ride from their places of business, because the degree looks so darn good to their clients!

#18 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Apr 24 2012, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to do it with my Mac all the time when I wanted to run windows programs on it.

Here is my question. I know Macs OS are the best for graphic designs, but what OS is the best for video making/editing? I am thinking Windows 7, but I want to have a second opinion.

Windows has actually caught up with Macs in terms of graphics these days. But Mac is still preferred among the art set because it's easier to use and it just works, whereas with Windows you have to know how to install a decent video card wink.gif

Soooo either one is fine. Whichever one you're more comfortable with, really. I can't stand working on Mac because I need my 10-button mouse, but again, some of my artsy friends swear by their Macs and I've seen how fast one can run in the hands of a capable person. (Disclaimer: One of the artsy friends works for Apple and is constantly trying to convert me. I resist! I resist.... just barely.)

For really, really high end applications, like CG rendering, you'll want a pretty beefy Windows sytem as a desktop, because you can get the same horsepower from a Windows system that costs a thousand dollars that Apple will charge you $2,000 for.

#19 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Fenris @ Apr 24 2012, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cisco has some free stuff available, but their certifications cost mega bux.

Also, programming a Cisco router is like pulling teeth, even with the modern GUI interface. I can't imagine what it was like during the command line days. wallbash.gif

#20 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (Catwho @ Apr 24 2012, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, programming a Cisco router is like pulling teeth, even with the modern GUI interface. I can't imagine what it was like during the command line days. wallbash.gif

Didn't know that Cisco uses a GUI now. I'm learning how to program the basic things right now via CLI. HAHAHA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users