LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

I was originally gonna post this in the great discussion thread, but after sitting on it for 20 minutes I knew it would be something that warrants it's own thread. 

General Rule: Just to be clear this will only solely be revolving around The Naruto Manga  basically any inconsistencies and retcons you find in any of the 700 chapters of Naruto can be shared here for a discussion. Images are more than welcomed in order to further address a particular retcon or inconsistency be it character or story wise as well.  

So here is a character inconsistency in the story: 

Yamato   -  Chapter 297:

Many of us remember this discussion between Yamato and Sakura, and he can tell how she feels about Naruto. 

naruto-5799.jpg

Now let us jump 172 chapters later with Yamato's reaction to Sakura's confession in Chapter 469:

naruto-925149.jpg

Ummm last I checked 172 agos  Yamato can easily tell how Sakura is feeling for Naruto, but now he can't? 

That's a massive inconsistency right there with the character. 

Now let's look at a Story Inconsistency in the manga: 

Chapter 116  - Sakura's genjutsu skills 

naruto-1566429.jpg

naruto-2375.jpg

It was established since that Sakura Haruno is a Genjutsu type and what's more Kakashi trained her during this part of story in Part I, and we see this trait of her where she's able to break people out of genjutsu. This is something we see later again at the beginning of the timeskip in Part II. 

Chapter 259 & 260: 

naruto-5051.jpg

naruto-1567895.jpg

After this we never see this particular feature from Sakura ever again for the entirety of Part II in context of the story and the character you could say. I mean granted it was cool seeing her combat capabilities too whenever she was on screen, but this was another thing that just felt weird how it was never brought up again in the manga. 

That's the overall jest of how this thread is gonna work, so if guys find something about the characters or the story that was inconsistent or retconned fill free to share. 

Edited by LuckyChi7, 19 March 2019 - 02:34 PM.

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#2 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:20 PM

The whole series is full of inconsistencies. All because of favoritism of certain characters and Masashi revising stuff (probably from those random editors he was having). We could had Sakura grow into this amazing kunoichi (super strength, medical ninjutsu AND genjutsu).

Plus, Naruto, himself, the titular character that everyone seem to forgot about his stature when they're in either Sasuke/Uchiha/Hinata waifu-worship mode, was retcon badly into a scumbag which is very, very embarrassing, because of a certain side character that suddenly received an upgraded status.

EDIT:

There are more to talk, but these are the major ones. Sasuke is probably a paragraph but Hinata will be my character limit.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#3 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

Ooooh, I can tell already that I'm going to love/hate this thread! (well, not hate, exactly. But it's going to make me mad! :lol:) Good thread idea! Lots to talk about!

#4 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

The moment they tried to make the Uzumaki an important clan, I was calling BS. It's like the most overt asspull in the series, one that breaks the already established world. Wouldn't people react to Naruto using the name Uzumaki? Especially considering it was the family of the First Hokage's wife, or the potential of the clan's bloodline techniques? Wouldn't Naruto have been able to use it to find out who his mother was? Wouldn't Karin have done something at the Chunin exam against the blonde kid claiming to be a survivor of her red-headed clan? IT MADE NO SENSE WITH WHAT WE WERE PREVIOUSLY TOLD, and was a factor in the downward spiral of the series.

And don't get me started on how the series ends up glorifying child soldiers.

Edited by RulesofNature, 19 March 2019 - 10:07 PM.

iSP2FNe.png

Just making your day a little brighter.

#5 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • Interests:Writing

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:21 PM

OH here's one I might bring back up in the Reliving the series thread once I get to that particular volume, but for now here it is:

Story Retcon:

Chapter 297 Kakashi's Mangekyo Sharigan 

naruto-1568055.jpg

This is the beginning of Part II where Kakashi has established to Naruto it's a new sharingan, and this showcases what Kakaashi has been doing during the 3 Year Timeskip after Part I in terms of combat capabilities. This leaves you wondering what exactly happened for him to obtain it after the end of the series given how Itachi explained you had to take the life of your best friend/someone close to you.

We get the answer to how and when Kakashi gets the Mangekyo  308 chapters later: 

Chapter 605 -  Hell 

naruto-3634075.jpg

Alright we get an answer as to how and when Kakashi gets the Mangekyo Sharingan which is because he killed Rin indirectly <-  This makes sense.  What doesn't make sense is when in the story this actually takes place, that is problem.   

In Part 1 Kakashi never used the Mangekyo Sharingan nor was it ever hinted that he obtained that power, but according to the flashback he's had the mangekyo sharingan before the start of the series??  :headscratch:    RETCON!!!

Edited by LuckyChi7, 19 March 2019 - 10:25 PM.

#6 milan kyuubi

milan kyuubi

YATO

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts
  • Interests:Nothing.....somthing.....dunno.......

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:07 AM

Naruto's chakra amount stamina was due to kyuubi. Later it was retconed that it was because he was Uzumaki.

Yp330yZ.gif

#7 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

Plot hole: The Frog Elders/Village/Ma and Paw, and Naruto as the Child of Prophecy.

First off, the Child of Prophecy was utterly forgotten. Completely dropped. Sure there was something about reincarnation in the end, but it was equally about Sasuke as it was about Naruto. And it was definitely not about the Frog Elders' prophecy. They never touch on that again. This plot hole, to me, is huge. It's what the whole story was built on. Having a shared ending with Sasuke being equal just ruins Naruto's whole hero's journey. The story was presented as being about Naruto as the lone savior, but it wasn't that way in the end. 

And second, what about the Frog summons, Kakashi's dog summons, Sasuke's cat, snake or hawk summons, etc. None of that is ever touched on again. Ma and Paw frog went back to their frog village to just be forgotten about, I suppose, because at no point does Naruto ever mention taking a future student there and passing on his Frog contract, like Jiraiya did with him. 

#8 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • Interests:Writing

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:44 PM

Plot hole: The Frog Elders/Village/Ma and Paw, and Naruto as the Child of Prophecy.

First off, the Child of Prophecy was utterly forgotten. Completely dropped. Sure there was something about reincarnation in the end, but it was equally about Sasuke as it was about Naruto. And it was definitely not about the Frog Elders' prophecy. They never touch on that again. This plot hole, to me, is huge. It's what the whole story was built on. Having a shared ending with Sasuke being equal just ruins Naruto's whole hero's journey. The story was presented as being about Naruto as the lone savior, but it wasn't that way in the end. 

And second, what about the Frog summons, Kakashi's dog summons, Sasuke's cat, snake or hawk summons, etc. None of that is ever touched on again. Ma and Paw frog went back to their frog village to just be forgotten about, I suppose, because at no point does Naruto ever mention taking a future student there and passing on his Frog contract, like Jiraiya did with him. 

That's true.   

It's pretty strange to see that it was never touched on again considering how important it was after Jiraiya's death, and during the pain arc. I don't believe even Nagato and Naruto touched on that subject again during the war when they reunited either which was a big deal during their encounter after the battle in konoha.   I know the frogs showed up again briefly during the Kushina arc momentarily like right before Naruto and Yamato head off to the island to meet with Killer Bee . After that, we don't see or hear from them ever again, and you would assume Naruto would take a future student there passing on his knowledge to them, and it's disappointing to have it brought up again.

Edited by LuckyChi7, 20 March 2019 - 04:44 PM.

#9 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

the MOTHER of all retcons and inconsistencies. "Naruto and Sasuke are reincarnations of TSOSP's sons" and were destined to be frenemies  from before they were born, and therefore ROBBED that relationship of any remaining little emotional impact that it had. So Naruto did not want to be Sasuke's friend because of their common background and isolation that almost drive them both mad, it is because they are spiritual brothers, literally, and were always meant to have this "boy's love"/hate relationship with another and in fact, compared to Hashirama and Madara's friendship shown in flashbacks Naruto's 'dynamic with Sasuke is even more unbelievable and stupid. Hashirama and Madara at least opened up to each other and spoke reaguarly before Madara cut off all ties to Hashirama twice in fact. What did Naruto do with Sasuke? just butting heads, Naruto screaming at Sasuke that he'll surpass the latter, while Sasuke just views Naruto as annoying and driven by envy at Naruto's power ups at his low points. The point is that the concept of the relationship between Naruto and Sasuke was completely destroyed by that writing decision and completely ignores the theme of them building a bond over the series, breaking it, and then rekindling it in the end because they were PREDESTINED to have that bond instead of finding common ground over their sufferings and making a realistic friendship like Naruto did with others in his life.

One more is Naruto marrying Hinata at the end. Why is it a retcon? NOTHING indicates Naruto was interested in Hinata AT ALL in the series. Even when Anti-NS debaters and authorities spouting that B%&* S@!$ "oh Naruto and Sakura's chances of being a couple was ripped apart by Sakura's false confession", why was Naruto still displaying jealousy and annoyance that Sakura was acknowledging Sasuke saving her and not him? Why was Sakura always shown to be inspired by Naruto's determination and wants to better herself because of it, plus is always comforted by his presence but Sasuke always turns her into this huge black swirl of anguish and sadness and is always crying broken tears? My point is why was Sakura always put the "love interest" and hinata is brushed aside as just a shy, timid closet "Naruto fan girl" and her character never expands on that nor does she use it as a personal motivation to improve unless it involves impressing Naruto/ getting his attention or only protecting him to the exclusion of all others? and No, "not being a romance manga" does not excuse that that lack of development because the manga goes out of its way to put Naruto and Sakura in intimate scenes that are practically romantic. If Hinata was suppose to be the love interest, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN HER in those scenes instead. and No again, Naruto and Sakura's relationship is not like brother and sister. If you want to see a really intimate but ultimately platonic relationship then they would have been done like the "MCU" version of Captain America and Black Widow. Ultimately the writing and scenes played out IN THE STORY ITSELF retcons on which young lady is the "love interest". End of story. those that argue otherwise either clearly have no understanding whatsoever of fictional romances, or are full of double standard BS regarding Naruto and Sakura compared to other fictional couples.    

Edited by Phantom_999, 23 March 2019 - 06:56 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#10 Toby

Toby

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:04 PM

I agree with all that but this part confuses me 

One more is Naruto marrying Hinata at the end. Why is it a retcon? NOTHING indicates Naruto was interested in Hinata AT ALL in the series. Even when Anti-NS debaters and authorities spouting that B%&* S@!$ "oh Naruto and Sakura's chances of being a couple was ripped apart by Sakura's false confession", why was Naruto still displaying jealousy and annoyance that Sakura was acknowledging Sasuke saving her and not him?  

So there have been NH scenes. Click SPOILER for the NH scenes in question 

spoiler

Edited by Toby, 20 March 2019 - 09:05 PM.

#11 Toby

Toby

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:07 PM

Here's a RETCON regarding Gaara: 

Look how ELABORATE Yashumaru's last words were, CAREFULLY teaching Gaara how to become a psychopath, telling Gaara "you MUST love only yourself and destroy everything else." 

6TgixTs.jpg

oLBtWKH.jpg

z4zuIn8.jpg

zXn3cH6.jpg

q9FEhvb.jpg

cm20F2x.jpg

kkUJnqI.jpg

UIGlJNn.jpg

aGDSvCa.jpg

LOOK HOW DETAILED THIS ALL WAS. 

But later on in the Manga, the Edo Tensei-revived version of Gaara's father, TELLS Gaara that this was all just an act. Gaara's father SAYS  that Gaara's initial guess about Yashumaru acting on ORDERS was the CORRECT GUESS. 

Gaara's father says "I ordered Yashumaru to lie to you." 

In chapter 547-548.

Ummmmmm, just why?? And no, this was NOT to "TEST" Gaara's mental stability, since Gaara's father already WITNESSED Gaara kill someone for NO REASON prior to Yashumaru's assassination order. Also, telling an ELABORATE lie, and denying Gaara's INITIAL CORRECT GUESS, is not how one "tests" mental stability. Not that they needed to test the stability since Gaara's father already saw Gaara go wacko here PRIOR to the assassination attempt:

0a8271bbb9a5e5391b104363153e379dfaea9147

e82270a3bee01a418af76a5a34afdee14468a9d3

Okay, Gaara's father SEES Gaara murder a random villager, and decides "Alright, Gaara's gone wacko, time to order Yashumaru to KILL Gaara." --->

9dee58a129562762552fdbdac0dcbd9a9eda4be2

(that's Yashumaru^) 

Now, with this information, I am betting that Yashumaru WAS ACTUALLY EVIL, and WAS ACTUALLY RESENTFUL OF GAARA. 

But the series retconned Yashumaru into a "good guy all along," like 400+ chapters later. That Yashumaru was lying because of his father's orders, rather than lying in his own initiative. 

(This is not disputing the fact that Gaara's mother loved Gaara, I'm sure that's the truth. This is about Yashumaru's evilness being retconned.)

Edited by Toby, 20 March 2019 - 10:10 PM.

#12 Yyubie

Yyubie

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:08 PM

Naturally :

naruto-8357.jpg

Retcon into :

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_nexjjgShiv1rz4qnxo1_500.gif
An out of control man needs a strong woman to control him.
And even a violent woman will become soft and tender to the man she love.

#13 Toby

Toby

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:08 PM

It's like Kishimoto has a habit of making ALL his villains "good guys all along!"

Who thinks Itachi started off as a bad guy and was MEANT to be an EVIL villain, until Kishimoto CHANGED HIS MIND and made Itachi a good guy later on?

#14 Toby

Toby

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:12 PM

Naturally :

naruto-8357.jpg

Retcon into :

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe Kurama doesn't know how to break Naruto out of the genjutsu? 

Apparently Kurama is "weak to genjutsu" no matter what.  When is the last time we saw Kurama break Naruto out of a genjutsu (never)? 

Good point though. 

P.S. That is such a FORCED scene, lol 

Edited by Toby, 20 March 2019 - 10:12 PM.

#15 NarutoUzumaki01

NarutoUzumaki01

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 04:16 AM

This one is a bit deeper than JUST a child of Prophecy (what in time of revealing I thought was a strange thing to introduce).

You see, origin story was about orphan who strugled to live alone in a village, by hard work he got throught things in story, granted some MC moments (Kurama mostly), than he fought against opponent who had firm beliving in "fate" (Neji in chuunin tournament). Saying that you choose your path in life, it's not determined by fate/prophency.

Than in p2 they introduce this prophency and infamous "that" technique to never speak of both. Cherry on the top of this all is Neji who "changed" after encounter of MC, dies by what was his "fate" from part 1 was, literally cause of dumb sibling who can't use her ninja skills in any given part of a 700 chapters. After Naruto a very awkward moment near a dead body and yada-yada it turns out that ALL ALONG THE WAY mc literally was the "CHOSEN ONE" but not really, more like a "PART OF A CHOSEN DUO" and final of this plot doesn't even make sense, every generation of this dumb "reincarnation" party fought between themselfs, and both parties survived each time to have kids, how the kitten does this even resolve a conflict? 

TL:DR - retcon of an "underdog" trope by "chosen one", than a retcon of a "chosen one" by a "chosen duo".

*Slow claps for such great writing*

#16 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:28 PM

Ooooh, I can tell already that I'm going to love/hate this thread! (well, not hate, exactly. But it's going to make me mad! :lol:) Good thread idea! Lots to talk about!

Welcome to the club, Tricks!  :yes:

#17 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

Not to mention this TRIVIALIZES any thing that we knew about Naruto for in the beginning and as such it demolishes any reason and sympathy we had for rooting for him. Naruto is supposed to be this orphan that was hated for carrying a demon that nearly obliterated his home and he was ostrasized for it and he doesn't even know why, but NOW not only is he from a special clan that actually has been housing that demon in their bodies generations before him but he is a "jesus figure" that is suppose to bring world peace? That only not makes being Hokage seem incredibly trivial and irrelevant now, but also with how this series treats supposed "secret information" as EVERYONE KNOWS IT now you would think that someone would know of Naruto's heritage and that it would be brought up sooner,  

Edited by Phantom_999, 01 April 2019 - 05:16 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#18 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

Not to mention this TRIVIALIZES any thing that we knew about Naruto for in the beginning and as such it demolishes any reason and sympathy we had for rooting for him. Naruto is supposed to be thi orphan that was hated for carrying a demon that nearly obliterated his home and he was hated for it and he doesn't even know why, but NOW not only is he from a special clan that actually has been housing that demon in their bodies generations before him but he is a "jesus figure" that is suppose to bring world peace? That only not makes being Hokage seem incredibly trivial and irrelevant now, but also with how this series treats supposed "secret information" as EVERYONE KNOWS IT now you would think that someone would know of Naruto's heritage and that it would be brought up sooner,  

At least with the idea of not knowing Naruto's parentage early on but speculating it when we first see a pic of Minato was a lot of fun, and lose the child of prophecy stuff and Naruto being a reincarnation of Ashura's chakra, the idea of him being the son of a Hokage can still be very viable.

#19 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:42 PM

I guess metaphorically, Boruto's dad is fulfilling his role of destroying the world rather than truly saving it.

2e5.gif

#20 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

So, he tricked everyone into believing he had saved the world therefor fulling the prophecy, when all he really did is lure then in a false sense of security that will ultimately be their downfall when the prophecy finally comes about? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users