• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Anime/manga, Music, Books, Animals (veterinary medicine), Scuba Diving

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:45 AM

Soul Eater starts its Anime run this week (Monday for the edited version, Friday for the extra/uncut version). For those who haven\'t heard of it, Soul Eater is a manga that started a few years ago.

Official Site

Summary (check wikipedia for more info)

\"In a world where technicians wield the select humans who can turn into weapons, Shinigami-sama created a school to teach young technicians and their shape shifting partners what it means to be a just death god. In order to create the ultimate weapon, the students of the school must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch.\"

OP 1: Resonance by T.M. Revolution
OP 2: Paper Moon by Tommy Heavenly6
ED 1: I Wanna Be by Stance Punks
ED 2: Style by Kana Nishino
ED 3: Bakusou Yumeuta by Diggy-MO
ED 4: Strength by Abingdon Boys School

Trailer: http://www.gametrail...ies/196887.html

The story/plot itself starts a bit generic (so far, anyway), but the characters are unique, and their designs as well as the background art are awesome in my opinion. The animation so far definitely lives up to the style, and the music for the first ep was great (composed by the same guy who produced Gurren-Lagann\'s music). Only down-side so far is Maka\'s (the main girl) VA - a little screechy and rigid - but hopefully she\'ll get better.

Edited by Ani, 17 January 2009 - 04:50 AM.
ED4 added~!

#2 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Anime/manga, Music, Books, Animals (veterinary medicine), Scuba Diving

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

Subbed episodes with various video hosts found in the links!

Episodes 1-40
- all are subbed except 41!

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 20
Episode 21
Episode 22
Episode 23
Episode 24
Episode 25
Episode 26
Episode 27
Episode 28
Episode 29
Episode 30
Episode 31
Episode 32
Episode 33
Episode 34
Episode 35
Episode 36
Episode 37
Episode 38
Episode 39
Episode 40
Episode 41 (RAW)

Bones is planning on 51 episodes of the anime.

Manga Chapters 1-57: http://www.onemanga.com/Soul_Eater/ (Updated: Jan 10, 2009)

#3 psycho666

psycho666

wub

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

I don't have the right adobe flash player for the links you gave, but it looks pretty promising, i'll look it up and see if i can find someplace else to watch those episodes. I love the art in it tongue.gif.

#4 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:37 AM

i just have to say, so far, i REALLY like this anime. It has just enough randomness but also cool storyline and great animation which makes me unable to wait for the next episode XD

oh, and here is a link to ep 2
http://www.veoh.com/...=YS-LWSoulEater

ep 1 is also on veoh, I was just too lazy to search for it tongue.gif

#5 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:08 AM

The prologue episodes are over now that Death the Kid (and his OCD) had his turn. Things should pick up pretty fast starting next ep.

(Subbed episodes are out on veoh, youtube, etc. - I just happened to be looking at crunchyroll)

#6 Ani

Ani

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:17 AM

Love this anime so far. I need a Soul Eater sig cause I already have icons to use~! biggrin.gif

#7 Ashley

Ashley

JUST KEEP MOVING FORWARD

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Otakus, Video games, It's a Trap!, Colorguard, Cartoons, Epic Fail Guy, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Ouendan, Vocaloid, drawing, Gainax, shojo, shounen, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, pairings, anime figures(Otaku desires?), movies, Tegaki, South Park, Hikaru Utada, etc.

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

Soul Eater 4TW. My favorite anime this spring!
I am still pinky-ash

#8 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:01 PM

I stumbled across this one by accident about 2 weeks ago. I enjoyed it for the most part (though Black Star may be a bit too much of a dumbass for my tastes). I'm anxious to see what the actual plot is now that the main characters have been introduced.

#9 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

Black Star comes of that way intentionally (ironically, a lot of fans compare him to Naruto). He does get better as the series progresses.

As for the plot, the main villain should be introduced pretty soon, and another important character makes their appearance in episode 7.

#10 Ani

Ani

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:32 AM

This thread died, so I shall revive it!

I got caught up on the manga about a month or two ago. I love it. <3 The characters are great and its getting really good in both the anime and manga right now. Can't wait for the next chapter. smile.gif

#11 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:03 AM

i now declare this thread REVIVED for two reasons:
- it's cool because krisk is watching it now BD
- IT'S FREAKING SOUL EATER WTF GUIZ.

anyway!

SOUL EATER ROX rawr.gif !

first off, i updated the episode list in the second post! 8D

and second, i was gonna gasm WHY this anime rocks so much, but i'll just copypasta something i stole from someone awesome i know BD

Why Soul Eater is one of the best (if not THE best) shounens of the past few years.
The following is Truefax. And I'm not drunk.

According to TvTropes, Soul Eater is "Pretty much Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach wrapped up in one delicious burrito and injected with Tim Burton's brain matter."

- The main character is a girl. Who kicks ass. In a shounen. That alone deserves cookies.
- The banter between the main characters is actually tolerable.
- It's hilarious.
- Every character gets a chance to look awesome.
- Catfights. Literally.
- The fanservice catgirl is smart and not just a walking pair of boobs.
- Adults are not useless!
- Spirit.
- Villains are a serious threat and are rarely outsmarted by teenagers.
- The hyper kid that can't keep his mouth shut faces the consequences of his actions.
- Medusa is a Magnificent Bastard.
- The art style is awesome.
- The setting is wicked. And it goes from Ancient Egypt to Medieval Japan, making the plot possibilities practically endless.
- It manages to balance action, horror and comedy.
- There are no Damsels in distress.
- One of the main characters has a raging case of OCD. And it makes him hilarious.
- Shinigami-sama. Enough said.
- Excalibur.
- No pairing wars. Seriously.
- Secondary characters are not wallpaper whose sole role in the story is to be cheerleaders of one of the main characters.
- Bones did the anime.

very trufax, my good sir. BD

NOW LET'S ALL FANMEISTER/FANWEAPON OVER IT and NOT let this thread/fanclub die again rawr.gif

love.gif !

#12 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:37 AM

WHAT?! SOUL EATER TOPIC ALMOST DIED?!

-GRABS SPARTAN HELMET!- D*8

Must I remind you of the godly awesomeness that is Docter Stein and Sid Barett?!!

#13 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

The anime is good, but sadly it diverges away from canon. Newtype confirmed the anime will start diverging from the manga, so if you want to start reading the manga, you should now on chap 37.

Also manga is superior since it has more eechi!

Andddddddddd Death-kun >>> the rest.

Sorry Black Star you want to surpass a God? Too bad, but Kid is already a death God!
Death-kun + Brew = beast. Two more sanzu lines connecting and he'll be unstoppable.

But really I like all the characters. Plot is pretty much similar to your regular Shounen, but the characters are what makes it a good read for me.

Oh and Chapter 56...All I can say is...DEATH-KUN IS A GENIUS!

#14 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:48 AM

@yoshi Steiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!!! 8D i love stein, he'd be my favorite professor, but alas we have teachers that don't wanna disect everything that moves XD and SID! "That's the kind of man I was" -- I wonder what's in store for him, I speculate he'd be BFFLZ with Masamune if he ever decides to go to Shibusen to teach wow.png

and whatta bout Niges! She's so >B| all the time it's great xDD

@True lol, i've already started the manga-- i've caught up all the way even ): and why is that sad? because i don't usually read manga because it's full of SPOILERS DB ...and i don't like spoilers.

):

but i was in a dry spell so i panicked :teehee:

LOLTRU:

"DAMNIT THE GRASS IS NOT CUT APPROPRIATELY! -- baw, emo-kid, baw."

TEEHEE, that's the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned him true, and i gotta say-- i think Patti would have a ball with this version of Death wow.png

but XDDDD back to the topic, you've gotta admit that Black*Star is awesome-- he's got the faults of being too loud and the WORST assassin probably in the history of forever, but he's got ...SPIRIT BD AND Tsubaki is sweet...and JIOEAWJFIEFAJWIOJ BLACK*STARXTSUBAKI <333

/DEFENSE OF BLACK*STAR B(

and yes.

yes.

YES.

senzu lines omg, i'm glad his pops gave him that-- I was imagining what would happen if he'd only had one arm D: and it was really moving when he told Patti to not change back, and OMG HE'S A COLLECTABLE NAO *BAW* poor T-sisters )))))):

BUT YEAH I'M TRYING TO FORGET THE MANGA-INFO. SO I CAN BE ALL SUPREEZ'D DURING THE ANIME 8Db

*represses*

whaaaat else, oh LOL what do ya guys think Chrona is? XDDD

#15 Ani

Ani

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:18 AM

I'm so glad you revived this thread, krisk. ;____; This is my favorite show right now. Everytime a new chapter comes out I squeel and get giddy. A show hasn't made me do that in a long time. Each chapter is awesome in its own way to me. It's super entertaining and the characters are so amazing, I love all of them. love.gif

I still love the anime, but yeah it is starting to diverge since a few weeks ago. It's still keeping in some stuff but it'll probably leave out and change other parts. Manga is definitely better, but the anime just makes the fight scenes and animation look so good.

QUOTE (krisk @ Jan 7 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tsubaki is sweet...and JIOEAWJFIEFAJWIOJ BLACK*STARXTSUBAKI <333

I HEAR YOU. Sometimes I love it more than SoulxMaka just cause fdhmgfvbjszbgfvbjkvgh They just work so well together and I love both of them~ :3333

And I think Crona is a girl. That's just my opinion. It might just be left to our imagination. XD

#16 Bolt

Bolt

H&E's residential vagabond! 8D

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:49 AM

Another Soul Eater fan here. Ani got me to read the manga. It is awesome.

And until proven otherwise I say Crona is a genderless tube baby. (sorry Crona)

#17 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:05 AM

Yeesh, Barack-u*Starrr -rolls the r for a few hours.- and Hinat- I mean, Tsubaki? Yeesh, imagine a lemon of that... -Stares off into the distance.-

[I doubt even KRISK would attempt to write that.

But then again, Jack Black Star, ifuknowutimeenxD]

#18 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE (krisk @ Jan 7 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@True lol, i've already started the manga-- i've caught up all the way even ): and why is that sad? because i don't usually read manga because it's full of SPOILERS DB ...and i don't like spoilers.

):

but i was in a dry spell so i panicked :teehee:

LOLTRU:

"DAMNIT THE GRASS IS NOT CUT APPROPRIATELY! -- baw, emo-kid, baw."

TEEHEE, that's the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned him true, and i gotta say-- i think Patti would have a ball with this version of Death wow.png

but XDDDD back to the topic, you've gotta admit that Black*Star is awesome-- he's got the faults of being too loud and the WORST assassin probably in the history of forever, but he's got ...SPIRIT BD AND Tsubaki is sweet...and JIOEAWJFIEFAJWIOJ BLACK*STARXTSUBAKI <333

/DEFENSE OF BLACK*STAR B(

and yes.

yes.

YES.

senzu lines omg, i'm glad his pops gave him that-- I was imagining what would happen if he'd only had one arm D: and it was really moving when he told Patti to not change back, and OMG HE'S A COLLECTABLE NAO *BAW* poor T-sisters )))))):

BUT YEAH I'M TRYING TO FORGET THE MANGA-INFO. SO I CAN BE ALL SUPREEZ'D DURING THE ANIME 8Db

*represses*

LOL don't get me wrong. I think Black*Star is pretty sweet, but he's like a toss up for me. When he does something really cool (Demon blade arc) I'm all "kitten YEAH GO Black*Star!" but then he does something stupid (like the fight with him and Death-kun) and I'm all "RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

It kinda just depends on the situation. He's cool, but can be too hot-headed sometimes XD

I just really like Death-kun and the Thompson sisters. They make an awesome threesome lololol sexual innuendo :teehee: and the dynamic they have works really well together. I like Liz and Patty's opposite personalities that bounce of each other, and Death-kun is all around funny with his OCD, but then he can be badass serious mode when in action and kick major ass. ALSO THE EMO SUIT IS WIN XD

That's what really appeals to me from the characters. The miesters and weapons are so compatible and they all have different persona's and characteristics that make them interesting tandem and pair/group. Great combo and just all around awesome. Humor is top notch, fights are unique, and emotional scenes are well done.

Glad to see you like it step-sis wow.png

QUOTE (krisk @ Jan 7 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whaaaat else, oh LOL what do ya guys think Chrona is? XDDD

Me no like traps >:
I still choose Death-kun >.>

#19 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:56 AM

I have re-casted the characters with more appropriate roles for a Live-Action movie.

#20 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (Ani @ Jan 7 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still love the anime, but yeah it is starting to diverge since a few weeks ago. It's still keeping in some stuff but it'll probably leave out and change other parts. Manga is definitely better, but the anime just makes the fight scenes and animation look so good.

yeaaaaah XDD

i noticed that! what i did, i watched the anime first THEN i got to reading the manga (i was soulthirsty D:) and -- unfortunately i kinda read only a few chapters from behind where the anime left off, and didn't start at the beginning of the manga (cause i thought 'what's the point? it's the same!') but....now that you say it's different i'm thinking i really wanna know XDDD;

anichyan, wanna lemme know what i missed? if it was important enough? 8D if it's just small things, then don't trouble yourself XP

I HEAR YOU. Sometimes I love it more than SoulxMaka just cause fdhmgfvbjszbgfvbjkvgh They just work so well together and I love both of them~ :3333

SRSLY OMG.

it's just, Black*StarxTsubaki is so... different!

for instance, Black*Star was the idiot, loudmouth at the very beginning right? and Tsubaki was that one girl in the back who seemed to merge with the background and who everyone felt sorry for because even though she's a bamf of a weapon, she's still stick with the loudmouth XDD

then all of a sudden, they're relying on eachother-- have this secret language, understand eachother, have that golden link that REALLY can't be matched with anyone elses, even Maka's and Soul's. Maka and Soul are different, they bicker, Maka's in denial and blames herself when Soul's there protecting her, not knowing really knowing the main reason (settles that he's "HER weapon") and doesn't know WHY Maka does the things she does-- they clash-- but they stick together, pushing and pulling, basically growing thanks to the other :]

and like Sid mentioned, that's an important key in Black*Star and Tsubaki's relationship that allows them to grow too!

they really are two sides of a coin, the two main pairings-- but at the same time, they BOTH are completely compatible and just... jfoewiajf<3

MAN i'm just in AWE at the romance in this show, it's... amazing. The creators didn't even really need to TRY with it, it's so subtle but the impact is immense wow.png

so yeah again, JOFIWEAJFIJ<333

and like what Tru said, the characters really make this anime shine. 8)!

And I think Crona is a girl. That's just my opinion. It might just be left to our imagination. XD

XDDDD a girl!?

gawsh i didn't know there was so much controversy until i got to dA to fangirl over the series-- then i saw a thread on one of the sites saying, "CRONA: WHICH RESTROOM DOES IT USE?" or something like that xDDD

i personally think Crona's a dude. X] there were HUGE sparks between Maka and him, albeit one-sided, but still it was there D:.... :teehee:

also! Crona said he didn't know "how to talk to girls" ...sooooo~ >w>

QUOTE (Bolt @ Jan 7 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And until proven otherwise I say Crona is a genderless tube baby. (sorry Crona)

i wouldn't put it past Medusa that wonderfully evil wimmun XDD

QUOTE (True @ Jan 7 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL don't get me wrong. I think Black*Star is pretty sweet, but he's like a toss up for me. When he does something really cool (Demon blade arc) I'm all "kitten YEAH GO Black*Star!" but then he does something stupid (like the fight with him and Death-kun) and I'm all "RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

It kinda just depends on the situation. He's cool, but can be too hot-headed sometimes XD

but that was him just wanting to get stronger "no matter what" XDDD if anything, he wouldn't have acted THAT stupidly out of nowhere if he knew about the whole "demon" stuff.

IMO of course, and i didn't get ya wrong XDD i just kinda think that first impressions of the kid are just too... sudden and kinda ignorant. Sadly people really dont give him a chance. ):

I just really like Death-kun and the Thompson sisters. They make an awesome threesome lololol sexual innuendo :teehee: and the dynamic they have works really well together. I like Liz and Patty's opposite personalities that bounce of each other, and Death-kun is all around funny with his OCD, but then he can be badass serious mode when in action and kick major ass. ALSO THE EMO SUIT IS WIN XD

QFT.

wow.png so trufax on everything right there XDDD the romance aspect for Death is lookin' pretty garbled right now, and i'm so glad they did that-- for one thing) we already have two main pairings in the show and second off) it really makes us wonder "OMG R THEY RLLY GONNA PULL A 3SUM IN THIS ANIME?! THIS FOREVER."

and honestly i wouldn't mind if they DID XDD it'd show real growth in Death-kun if he got over the fact that they're not TWIN sisters (LOL) and that they're breast sizes are different (LOLOL) and that their personalities clash so much (LOLOLOL) --

BUT at the same time i want him to NEVER tone down his OCD, in fact, i hope it excels in it's craziness XDD

so i'm on the fence on Death and his romantic ties-- hell, i'd be happy with him ending up alone or with a faceless wimmun, like his pops. :teehee:

DEATH NEVAR CHANGE <3

That's what really appeals to me from the characters. The miesters and weapons are so compatible and they all have different persona's and characteristics that make them interesting tandem and pair/group. Great combo and just all around awesome. Humor is top notch, fights are unique, and emotional scenes are well done.

Glad to see you like it step-sis wow.png

same here! 8D so i basically quoted you again X3

oh and i'd like to add (again stfu) how they did all these so smoothly and subtlely-- the action wasn't in your face or overdone, the romance of pairing wars is NONEXISTANT (THANKGOD), and there's rarely forced humor and the suspense is just amazing-- when humor's done-- romance builds up, when the romance is done-- humor dwindles it down, and when the humor's done-- action takes up the lead, coupled with suspense.

we always come full-awesomesaucey circle a_spaz.gif

oh and straying from the main characters, the heroes -- gotta say the villians are top-class too ;_;
they're actually SMART, and hard to defeat! and actually finally a threat. 8*D

Me no like traps >:
I still choose Death-kun >.>

OMFGXDXD

...oh mai D8

CANNOT UNSEE, DX

omg represses that picture for the end of forever D:

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Jan 7 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have re-casted the characters with more appropriate roles for a Live-Action movie.

...idgi o.o

UM. ANYWAY.

update!

EPISODE 39 IS SUBBED.

havent' watched it myself, but imma do that if i don't fall asleep right now 8D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users