• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#21 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

I've ignored this issue mostly because I don't give a crap about Tosh.0 and have stayed away from it, but after reading this article I can firmly say that I want, no, I need to punch Daniel Tosh in the jaw out of principle. I understand that some people can "move on", some "can't move on", but to me the very fact that he suggested the thought of men raping a woman, ANY woman at all is enough for me to decide that this man, no, this cultural buzzard deserves to be slapped and taught some manners. I don't care if that's "his style", no one deserves to have that said about them. It doesn't matter if it was a joke or not, because in the context itself he was being not only a pig but also a disgusting monster.

#22 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

This summed up this subject VERY well, in my opinion. And was pretty funny, to boot.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#23 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jul 18 2012, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This summed up this subject VERY well, in my opinion. And was pretty funny, to boot.

Ha that was just perfect, summed everything up perfectly!

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#24 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Jul 18 2012, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've ignored this issue mostly because I don't give a crap about Tosh.0 and have stayed away from it, but after reading this article I can firmly say that I want, no, I need to punch Daniel Tosh in the jaw out of principle. I understand that some people can "move on", some "can't move on", but to me the very fact that he suggested the thought of men raping a woman, ANY woman at all is enough for me to decide that this man, no, this cultural buzzard deserves to be slapped and taught some manners. I don't care if that's "his style", no one deserves to have that said about them. It doesn't matter if it was a joke or not, because in the context itself he was being not only a pig but also a disgusting monster.

May I ask, have you ever told a joke or said something that offended someone? How many could say they would punch you out of principle? I am sure at least one time in your life someone who'd love to deck you out of principle. This "cultural buzzard" you speak of is not as bad as say....well, the rapist, the murderer, the pedophile, the con-artist, the prisoner, and many other such people.

I have seen Micheal Jackson jokes about him raping little boys all over TV, the internet, everywhere...do you think these comedians deserve to be slapped too and called a "cultural buzzard?" How about the way women are defiled in the media to being sex objects on television or how Seth MacFarlene makes fun of people on Family Guy and American Dad? Should we string him up to? I am sure Family guy actually makes a rape joke every now and then with Quagmire. There was one I remember where a girl is tied up in the bathroom and Quagmire is implied to have his way with her.

Sure, you can call him a pig and monster because of a joke, but in my opinion I find the rapist to be a worse threat than a bad comedian telling jokes that might offend someone. Just saying when I walk out at night, I am not looking over my shoulder for Daniel Tosh, I looking out for the guys with an intention to do real harm to me.....or President Obama. XD

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally agree Zac. Totally agree lol

"Is it funny that I am also f!@#king his retarded sister?" Lol

Edited by James S Cassidy, 19 July 2012 - 07:34 AM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#25 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

No, no I have not made a joke that would intentionally hurt someone, and if I ever had, it would not be directed as "HEY, IMAGINE IF THOSE BLACK MEN WERE HUNG FROM A TREE RIGHT NOW!". There is a big difference between telling a racial joke and telling a racial thought of black men being hanged, for example; there is a big difference between the joke, and the proposed scenario of rape. A joke can be funny, while a statement by a callous, unfunny, uncaring """"comedian"""" to the thought of five men raping any woman at all is most definitely not.

I have no idea why we're even having this conversation, why anyone is having this conversation; this is sick and wrong, and indefensible.

#26 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Jul 19 2012, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
May I ask, have you ever told a joke or said something that offended someone? How many could say they would punch you out of principle? I am sure at least one time in your life someone who'd love to deck you out of principle. This "cultural buzzard" you speak of is not as bad as say....well, the rapist, the murderer, the pedophile, the con-artist, the prisoner, and many other such people.

I have seen Micheal Jackson jokes about him raping little boys all over TV, the internet, everywhere...do you think these comedians deserve to be slapped too and called a "cultural buzzard?" How about the way women are defiled in the media to being sex objects on television or how Seth MacFarlene makes fun of people on Family Guy and American Dad? Should we string him up to? I am sure Family guy actually makes a rape joke every now and then with Quagmire. There was one I remember where a girl is tied up in the bathroom and Quagmire is implied to have his way with her.

Sure, you can call him a pig and monster because of a joke, but in my opinion I find the rapist to be a worse threat than a bad comedian telling jokes that might offend someone. Just saying when I walk out at night, I am not looking over my shoulder for Daniel Tosh, I looking out for the guys with an intention to do real harm to me.....or President Obama. XD

Nobody is saying the rapist isn't worse. The fact that a rapist is worse doesn't exonerate Tosh from doing what he did. That someone else is a bigger moron than you doesn't stop you from being a moron. It's an incredibly weak defense.

You did it with me and you did it with Yoshi. You completely miss the point of "personal." The rape jokes were bad, but what has people, including me, pissed of is he told HER to HER face what if SHE were raped by five guys right there. The "it's just a joke isn't an adequate defense that bullcrap.

It's not personal just because she was a woman. It was not person because she was a sex assault victim (and no where does she say she was). It was a direct insult to her face about being her ganged raped and an audience laughing at her for it. Hil-lari-ous. I'm in cracking up. dry.gif

#27 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Jul 19 2012, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, no I have not made a joke that would intentionally hurt someone, and if I ever had, it would not be directed as "HEY, IMAGINE IF THOSE BLACK MEN WERE HUNG FROM A TREE RIGHT NOW!". There is a big difference between telling a racial joke and telling a racial thought of black men being hanged, for example; there is a big difference between the joke, and the proposed scenario of rape. A joke can be funny, while a statement by a callous, unfunny, uncaring """"comedian"""" to the thought of five men raping any woman at all is most definitely not.

I have no idea why we're even having this conversation, why anyone is having this conversation; this is sick and wrong, and indefensible.

http://comedians.jok...-type-of-laugh/ <-------------- a_thumbs.gif

I have to say, anyone who gets offended in a comedy club at a joke is ridiculous. You really can't compare this with John Kramer's colossal crash, because he was being serious when he went on a tangent. Daniel Tosh was not. It is a joke. A joke. Meaning, it's not serious. Meaning, don't get your panties in a bunch. If it's offensive, the joke is playing off of the idea that the topic is offensive in the first place. I'm never going to get people who don't understand this. It's like the people who get offended about South Park. "Did you see South Park the other night? They showed a flag of a black man being lynched!" Really? It's South Park. Shut up.

I'm something of a stand up connoisseur, and I've heard a great deal of jokes about either racism, sexual orientation, murder, suicide, and yes, rape, that I would likely find offensive if it were in a serious context. But it isn't. It's a joke. Does it have a punchline? It's a JOKE! My god, people never cease to amaze me... This lady was a heckler. He didn't actually want her to get raped. But a comedian takes his performance seriously. It isn't just an open forum for people to interrupt and have nice little chats and philanthropic discussions. If you're going to heckle and interrupt his act like a douche, then a comedian who is good at what he does is going to recover by making an example of you and gaining a laugh at your expense. Heckle at your own risk, lest you be humiliated. It was her own fault that she had to walk away crying and butt hurt.

Edited by PachucoDesigns, 19 July 2012 - 01:39 PM.

On the morning of Wednesday, April 11th, 2012, my Aunt Karla passed away. She was my mother's baby sister, and my coolest aunt when I was a kid. She was the best babysitter ever, and she was like an older sister to me.

Karly, I don't know if you can hear this. I am not a believer, I haven't been since Sheryl died. But if you can, I want you to know that I'm truly sorry for everything bad I've ever said about you. When you were suffering, I should have been there to help you. I should have visited. I should have encouraged you to leave the house and get a job, to be active and alive the way you used to be.

I promise that I will do everything that I can to be successful and a good person, to make you proud the way you would have wanted me to. No matter what I said, I loved you. And I will always love you. Rest in Peace, you will never be forgotten.

#28 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (PachucoDesigns @ Jul 19 2012, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to say, anyone who gets offended in a comedy club at a joke is ridiculous. You really can't compare this with John Kramer's colossal crash, because he was being serious when he went on a tangent. Daniel Tosh was not. It is a joke. A joke. Meaning, it's not serious. Meaning, don't get your panties in a bunch. If it's offensive, the joke is playing off of the idea that the topic is offensive in the first place. I'm never going to get people who don't understand this. It's like the people who get offended about South Park. "Did you see South Park the other night? They showed a flag of a black man being lynched!" Really? It's South Park. Shut up.

I'm something of a stand up connoisseur, and I've heard a great deal of jokes about either racism, sexual orientation, murder, suicide, and yes, rape, that I would likely find offensive if it were in a serious context. But it isn't. It's a joke. Does it have a punchline? It's a JOKE! My god, people never cease to amaze me... This lady was a heckler. He didn't actually want her to get raped. But a comedian takes his performance seriously. It isn't just an open forum for people to interrupt and have nice little chats and philanthropic discussions. If you're going to heckle and interrupt his act like a douche, then a comedian who is good at what he does is going to recover by making an example of you and gaining a laugh at your expense. Heckle at your own risk, lest you be humiliated. It was her own fault that she had to walk away crying and butt hurt.

And yet you missed the point that both Kamina and Nate addressed.

#29 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Jul 19 2012, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yet you missed the point that both Kamina and Nate addressed.

There is no point to be made here. It is a joke. It goes no farther than the fact that if you get offended by a joke, you are ridiculous, and if you heckle about it, be prepared to be made an example of. If he was actually condoning rape, then it would be a different story. But he wasn't.
On the morning of Wednesday, April 11th, 2012, my Aunt Karla passed away. She was my mother's baby sister, and my coolest aunt when I was a kid. She was the best babysitter ever, and she was like an older sister to me.

Karly, I don't know if you can hear this. I am not a believer, I haven't been since Sheryl died. But if you can, I want you to know that I'm truly sorry for everything bad I've ever said about you. When you were suffering, I should have been there to help you. I should have visited. I should have encouraged you to leave the house and get a job, to be active and alive the way you used to be.

I promise that I will do everything that I can to be successful and a good person, to make you proud the way you would have wanted me to. No matter what I said, I loved you. And I will always love you. Rest in Peace, you will never be forgotten.

#30 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

My stance on the issue is the fact that he joked about it, whatever, I mean it is just a reflection of how sick we've become that we've learned to laugh at these things and yes, it does have negative effects on our society. It's probably why apathy is up and we get the bystanders who see terrible situations in real life and try their role of a-hole comedian. It is that a joke works by making it general, absurd, and with the intention that he probably wouldn't mean it in a serious context as many who laugh at the jokes say they wouldn't find it funny if it was serious. He doesn't really want anyone getting raped, right? When he directed it all toward that one woman, that line of joking and actually feelings blurs. It goes from 'rape is funny' to a more personal 'I want you to be raped' and I'm not surprised people laughed, because that line is blurring out there in the "real world" too. Whatever his shtick might be, I think more people need to recognize that personal attacks on audience members to the point of out-right saying they want them to be physically harmed maybe shouldn't be lumped together with the situation of "Oh, well, everything is just a funny comedy show! He's not being serious about it or anything."

The dilemma we face now, which I find a little funny in a sick sort way myself, is our moral compass doesn't know how to handle this. We've been conditioned that it's okay to laugh, so now when someone is hurt by it and it's made personal and directed toward, let's say a victim of the joke, we're inclined to either blame her or him. Had he gone too far? Was she out of line for speaking up? Does she... maybe deserve it? Did he mean it? It's an interesting case to look at regardless of what's right or wrong because it speaks to who we are and similar to the decisions we make out there when it actually happens. She was hurt by it, people laughed, so who do we defend? You get that in bullying and victim situations. What he's doing is for shock value and your role as a bystander, are you okay with a person outright saying "I want you to be raped" whatever the context? Is it okay to laugh at that when it's so direct, and so vague as to if it's real or not?

Personally it was a stupid move. He could have handled that so differently. Comedians need to keep up the whole "this space here is absurd" because if he was standing up there, seriously talking about how rape is you know, actually kind of funny more feathers would have been ruffled. When it's so obviously meant to be inappropriate and we can tell ourselves we wouldn't really laugh if it was remotely serious our moral compass is in the right and we can stay on our high horse and say all is well, this isn't a real-world context, and we'll probably defend the position against hecklers who point out that hey, this crap that he/she is saying? It's filthy to the core and wrong. "But it's a joke!". For someone who makes their living dealing out comedy you'd think they could handle this stuff better, right? Know when you've gone too far. Again, personally, I think the problem is "in real life" they are in shades the a-hole they make themselves out on stage and it comes out in how they react to people. People skills, you know? If they must make fun of the situation, can they do it in a way that wouldn't hurt what is still a paying costumer and potentially anyone else?

Oh, and as for talking about people who have been sexually assaulted--please stop bringing in your personal anecdotes to try and talk about what anyone else in the situation should do. This is an unfortunate bias that we all tend to fall prey to. Knowing people, or having been through it yourself, gives you a way to relate the situation but don't go thinking it makes you an expert on another person's situation. No frikken duh we want people to move on from their issues--we want them to be happy and live a normal life--but reality check there's no formula for dealing with it. Situations are different and it's why there are people out there who have to study and learn about the topic in order to help someone, not you know just knowing someone or having gone through it. I'm sorry this is directed toward you in this instance James, but you're not the only one who does it and it's understandable believe me, but think for a moment what you imply. The victim that dealt with their situation nicely is better and doing the right thing and everyone else should do the same. It's probably not what you mean, it just comes across that way, and the reality is you don't know enough about the topic from two friends alone. I felt I really needed to say something about this. You might see me do the same mistake and I would hope it would be pointed out to me.

#31 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Broken Figurine @ Jul 19 2012, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, and as for talking about people who have been sexually assaulted--please stop bringing in your personal anecdotes to try and talk about what anyone else in the situation should do. This is an unfortunate bias that we all tend to fall prey to. Knowing people, or having been through it yourself, gives you a way to relate the situation but don't go thinking it makes you an expert on another person's situation. No frikken duh we want people to move on from their issues--we want them to be happy and live a normal life--but reality check there's no formula for dealing with it. Situations are different and it's why there are people out there who have to study and learn about the topic in order to help someone, not you know just knowing someone or having gone through it. I'm sorry this is directed toward you in this instance James, but you're not the only one who does it and it's understandable believe me, but think for a moment what you imply. The victim that dealt with their situation nicely is better and doing the right thing and everyone else should do the same. It's probably not what you mean, it just comes across that way, and the reality is you don't know enough about the topic from two friends alone. I felt I really needed to say something about this. You might see me do the same mistake and I would hope it would be pointed out to me.

Yeah, your right and I did it too. I did it in another instance with Pacheco (and ended up removing that particular reference from the post).

My irritation with James's original argument is that he appeared to be suggesting that victims should learn to cope with it so people like Tosh could make these jokes, free from criticism. I felt the expectation was unreasonable and ridiculous. I saw no other point to bringing in that argument at the time. But that's not what I said.

#32 PachucoDesigns

PachucoDesigns

Chuunin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jul 19 2012, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, your right and I did it too. I did it in another instance with Pacheco (and ended up removing that particular reference from the post).

My irritation with James's original argument is that he appeared to be suggesting that victims should learn to cope with it so people like Tosh could make these jokes, free from criticism. I felt the expectation was unreasonable and ridiculous. I saw no other point to bringing in that argument at the time. But that's not what I said.

It's Pachuco.

#33 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jul 19 2012, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, and I caught that too. We can't say in general what victims should do and hey, I'm not even a victim and I don't think he should be free from criticism. I think that most people have come to accept that there are comedians and jokes out there that are just absurd, and I think on the other end we should also come to accept that some people have that one topic they can't make light of whatever the context may be, and that's all experience and situation. I don't agree with hecklers I think they can handle a situation better too, like leaving, asking someone to complain to that's not in the middle of a show, or protesting after the fact. I don't know what motivated this particular woman to stand and say it but she made that decision and if it was right, I don't know. The real discussion is, should he have reacted like he did? He's the supposed professional one here and especially because he is doing what he does, the dilemma comes with do we accept it because he's a comedian, or by directing it toward her are the implication that this isn't a joke anymore too much?

#34 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (PachucoDesigns @ Jul 19 2012, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's Pachuco.

Sorry.

I'll get it right eventually.

Yeah, and I caught that too

Caught what? My use of the argument or the implication in James's argument. I'm not sure which part of my post you are referring to.

#35 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jul 19 2012, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry.

I'll get it right eventually.

Caught what? My use of the argument or the implication in James's argument. I'm not sure which part of my post you are referring to.

Oh I'm sorry, I meant the implication in Jame's argument, though I did see both XD I just knew what you were arguing against even if you did resort to anecdotal evidence too. I'm serious that we all do it that most of the time I don't even notice (I've very sure I've argued things based off of my personal little stories rather than having any research done) and there's a time and place for when it appropriate, but when we talk about what people should be doing on such a heavy topic it's not right. It's not even fully on-topic >.>

#36 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (PachucoDesigns @ Jul 19 2012, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's something to bring up, how does "Wouldn't it be funny if _________" constitute a joke in the first place? Where's the set-up? The punchline? It's a statement, no way around it.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#37 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (PachucoDesigns @ Jul 19 2012, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is no point to be made here. It is a joke. It goes no farther than the fact that if you get offended by a joke, you are ridiculous, and if you heckle about it, be prepared to be made an example of. If he was actually condoning rape, then it would be a different story. But he wasn't.

Your statement is obviously full of ignorance. Being offended by a joke makes a person ridiculous? He hardly even made a joke, it was "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if she got raped?" It was retarded and completely inappropriate.

#38 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Kyuudaime @ Jul 19 2012, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your statement is obviously full of ignorance. Being offended by a joke makes a person ridiculous? He hardly even made a joke, it was "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if she got raped?" It was retarded and completely inappropriate.

Hey, a few of my friends are mentally handicapped. dry.gif That was completely inappropriate.
...see what I did there? Point is, where do we draw the line with jokes? It's bad to make fun of rape, but what can we mention/talk about? The video I posted here talks about this way more clearly than I could hope to.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#39 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Jul 19 2012, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, a few of my friends are mentally handicapped. dry.gif That was completely inappropriate.
...see what I did there? Point is, where do we draw the line with jokes? It's bad to make fun of rape, but what can we mention/talk about? The video I posted here talks about this way more clearly than I could hope to.

No, I don't see your point. I don't call people who are mentally handicapped retards, nor was I making a joke. Nice attempt though.

#40 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

I suggest reading these posts, Melissa says it more more eloquently but bluntly than I could:

http://www.shakesvil...ulture-101.html

http://www.shakesvil.../label/Toshgate

Edited by ciardha, 19 July 2012 - 11:10 PM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users