2 replies to this topic

#1 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'd initially given this series a pass when it first came out, because it looked like "yet another series about people playing an MMO that got trapped in the MMO" and that's been done to death already.

But a friend convinced me to give it another shot, and I'm totally and utterly hooked now.  It's currently on the second season.  

There's a well developed central love triangle (and multi-angle polygon if you include a few other characters crushing on the main guy, Shiroe) and a few other safe ships that the show teases at.  All the major characters are well rounded, and one of the fun things that leaks in is how everyone's real life personalities affect the way they play the game.  Shiroe the engineering student.  Naotsogu the salesman.  Nyanta the retiree.  Henrietta the MBA.  Marielle the mother.

I think what really draws me to it, however, is the MMO/guild aspect of it.  Much of the show revolves around leadership within the game, and how it manifests itself.  Different leadership styles.  I ran a large endgame guild in FFXI for many years, so I've been in the position that a lot of the characters find themselves in.  (I was the "good cop" in a good cop/bad cop dynamic like Crusty and Shiroe develop near the end of the first season.)  I'm still 2nd in command for a very tiny guild in FFXIV. 

Anyone else watching it?

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#2 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

Gotta love LH best anime of last year imo, got me back into MMO's again. The guild aspect of it is pretty funny since throughout the years I've known people who fit every archetype in the show. I'm pretty disappointed in Deens animation for the second season though huge step down in quality.

JLHza2T.png

#3 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, I noticed that as well.  Still, I'm hoping the story will shine on past that.

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users