• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Enkai

Enkai

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:I like watching anime, reading manga, and watching TV shows.
    I also enjoy watching/playing football(soccer) and playing video games. I like coding and software development too, as well as having a interest in technology. Oh how can I forget drawing! Although I don't really do it as much now, used to love it as a kid.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

So I noticed that there are a few threads about anime/manga recommendations, I have recently started watching a whole bunch of Anime and will most likely start reading more Manga. Therefore I thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone can just list anime and manga that they like, are currently watching/reading, or just recommend to others.

I'm not sure how I can make it simple so that the same Anime or Manga are posted in the thread but I was thinking once someone posts them I can just edit this post directly so it would be available on the first post of the thread. Let me know if you all think this is fine or just leave it as is and have it so people can go through all the separate posts.

Each anime/manga has its own small and probably vague description, sorry if they aren't that great didn't really want to give much away for each series but all the listed anime are ones that in my opinion are *must watch*.  :D

Anyway here is a list of Anime I'd recommend!

One Piece - Best selling manga for a reason, amazing anime with great character development. Set in a world that is currently in an era of pirates.

DragonBall Z - My childhood, watched this back when I was a kid nothing more can be said but it is an inspiration for many other manga, a must watch.

Attack On Titan - Quite a new manga/anime only been out for just over a year I think. Can be quite dark, very good story and characters and also very surprising.

Kuroko no Basket - Basketball manga with a twist very good for those who are into sports or basketball, It is definitely in my top 5 list even if you are into basketball, I recommend watching this one.

Haikyuu!! - Volleyball manga/anime, only just started a couple of months ago, very good so far similar to Kuroko no Basket and so yeah I recommend this new anime.

Hajime no Ippo - Boxing manga that has been going on for years, even if you are not into boxing, this manga/anime has great characters and has good comedy as well as heart pumping action. One thing that might put people off is the animation quality or style but this is something that is easy to overcome as the story is so good.

Fairy Tail - Set in a world of mages and guilds Fairy Tail is a very good manga, awesome unique characters, if you enjoy manga which involves magic, fantasy along with comedy. Highly recommended.

Death Note - One of the best short manga/anime I have ever watched, unpredictable and very mysterious. Involves Shinigami's and otherworldly elements. Only 40 episodes I think, must watch for anyone who enjoys manga or anime.

Bakuman - A manga/anime that is about drawing/writing manga itself, very eye opening but also has a solid story. Interesting throughout, also has that slice of life element. 

Sword Art Online - SAO is a very good anime about video games specifically set in a world that has nerve linking technology to experience video games in a whole new way. If you like video games this is one that is recommended. Overall though brilliant and a must watch!

Accel World - Similar to SAO but has it's own story but also based on video games and with the use of neuro linkers people are able play different video games. Very good and fun to watch, just like SAO, this is a must watch.

Bleach - Set in a world where Shinigami fight against evil creatures known as hollows, I'm sure most people have heard of it or even watched it. Those who haven't really recommend watching it. Also look for a filler guide as I personally believe fillers are the main reason I stopped watching this. Regardless of it's position on the top selling manga, this manga was once in the top 3 and for good reason.

Magi - A relatively new manga/anime very fun and interesting, the main character "Aladdin" yes like the Disney movie but don't let that put you off from checking this one out. It is truly a brilliant anime very entertaining also recommend for those who are into anime that have magic or mages. If you enjoy Fairy Tail than this is one that you will really enjoy.

Deadman Wonderland - Short incomplete 12 episode anime series, however the manga is fully complete. The first 12 episodes are good enough for me to recommend it to others if you have not already seen it. It is quite gory and insane in it's own way, somewhat similar to Attack on Titan although a completely different story. Great characters and only 12 animated episodes.

Blue Exorcist - An interesting anime that is fun to watch with good characters, again with magic but not mages, more towards demons and stuff like that. Very entertaining anime and if I recall not that many episodes so this also worth checking out.

High School of The Dead - A short anime series that is entertaining to watch, set in a post zombie apocalyptic world if that is your kind of thing then this is one to watch. However it does have it's fair share of Ecchi, so if that bothers you than perhaps skip this one.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - I have started to watch this series but have not yet completed it, great anime and worth watching but as I haven't watched it fully I can't say much else.

Avatar The Legend of Aang / The Legend of Korra - Although not anime itself, both these series are inspired by anime and are therefore animated in that style. Great characters and stories, I assume most people have seen these but if not I have to recommend them as they are really amazing.

Edited by Enkai, 12 May 2014 - 01:45 AM.

10wnpqp.jpg

#2 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:37 AM

I hope you know Disney didn't create Aladdin. Most people that watched Magi thought that was the case. All the names were taken from Arabian Nights, including Ali Baba. Just wanted to point that out.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#3 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

Pandora Hearts

Everyone should read Pandora Hearts. (not watch it; the anime adaptation stops before the best stuff in the series starts happening, not to mention cuts/alters some important details). It's the best series in general I've had the pleasure of experiencing. It has this near-perfect mix of mystery, heart, tragedy, pain, beauty, humor, and character, all with wonderful execution behind it. It does take some time before it really takes off, but once it really takes off, it doesn't stop. Your mind and emotions will be f**cked several times over.

Also, to a lesser extent, I recommend reading the Deadman Wonderland manga. In a similar vein as Pandora Hearts, the anime stops before the best stuff in the series starts happening, so reading the manga right away would save you time. It's twisted fun with great characters.

But yeah, Pandora Hearts is where it's at.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 25 May 2014 - 07:55 PM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#4 Enkai

Enkai

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:I like watching anime, reading manga, and watching TV shows.
    I also enjoy watching/playing football(soccer) and playing video games. I like coding and software development too, as well as having a interest in technology. Oh how can I forget drawing! Although I don't really do it as much now, used to love it as a kid.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

I hope you know Disney didn't create Aladdin. Most people that watched Magi thought that was the case. All the names were taken from Arabian Nights, including Ali Baba. Just wanted to point that out.

Ohh didn't know that haha but what I meant was that because the characters name is "Aladdin", it might remind people of Disney's Aladdin which could put them off from giving Magi a try.

10wnpqp.jpg

#5 dejavu

dejavu

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

I'm supposed to do something right now but let me procrastinate lol

for now what i could add up to that list are:

Noragami- both anime and manga are great. The story is about a penniless (lol) God who does odd jobs (and tweets too much) to get through life. He gets to be with a cute and likeable female lead that isn't helpless or overbearing either, plus a handy spunky bishounen. This is a pretty hilarious read/watch they are all so loveable.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime - a gutsy redhead chick who ran away from her hometown because a foolish prince fancy her to be his wife and eventually meets a young adventurous man who brought her to another kingdom and let her find her purpose. I like how this manga can be sweet that it makes me feel warm and fuzzy without being too cheesy.

Last Game - another romance manga but this is just so cute! We have a male lead who is rich, popular and number 1 in class until the a poor, poker face but smart girl enters into his life and stole the number 1 seat from him. I thought this was just another cheesy romance manga but i couldn't put it down.

Ghost Hunt - my favorite horror/mystery anime/manga.. The male lead is an aloof teenboy who is the head of a psychic research group that solves mysterious cases. The female lead was involved with him when he temporarily made her replace his injured assistant. As the series goes on i just got hooked to all the cases. The characters are very likeable too. I'm glad that the manga will continue! the anime and manga are both good.

Psychic Detective Yakumo - a bit similar to Ghost Hunt, it involves a male lead with one red eye who can see spirits. The male lead is also an unfriendly prick lol but i just love solving cases and stuffs!

There's a lot more I wish to add but that is it for now.

Edited by dejavu, 12 May 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#6 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

There already is a thread for this:

Unfortunately I am afraid this thread will sink soon. That is what always happens with this kind of threads. Regardless that...

City Hunter - Action/Comedy. Ryo Saeba is a "sweeper" (a combination of hitman and private eye) that solves crimes in Tokyo. Together with his friend Hideyuki they form the "City Hunter" agency. Ryo is (in)famous for being a true professional, a brilliant detective, an excellent fighter, an unbeatable sharp-shooter... and a real leech that only accepts female clients. Hideyuki dies early on the series and gets replaced by his sister Kaori... who is not in love with Ryo, no, no, no, but she will pummel him if he hits on a client or behaves like a pervert. Needless to say, it happens often. This series is DOWNRIGHT hilarious, with good drama moments to balance the comedy and gorgeous art. All characters are interesting and deeper than they sound like. The manga is better than the anime.

Maison Ikkoku - Romance/Comedy/Drama. Yusaku Godai is a lovable, candid, clueless ronin (student who is trying to pass college entrance exams) that lives at Maison Ikkoku (a run-down boarding house)
with a pack of loons and jerks make his life impossible. One day he has got enough and is walking out the door, bags in hand.... and he walks in Kyoko Otonashi, a beautiful, short-tempered woman who announces herself as the new manager. In order, Godai's suitcase, jaw, and heart hit the floor. Godai starts a "win Kyoko's heart over as passing college over and surviving lunatic neighbours" campaign, but his dificulties increase when he finds out that Kyoko is a widower... This series is an excellent blend of touching drama, comedy and weirdness. Both manga and anime are totally worth to check.

Rurouni Kenshin - Historic/romance/drama. Year 1878. Kaoru Kamiya, heir of a kendo dojo meets Himura Kenshin, a wanderer swordsman (or rurouni) that ten years ago was a legendary assassin during the conflicts of the end of Tokugawa Shogunate. She talks him into staying in his dojo to help her. Kenshin believes he has finally found a place to call home. However, soon he learns the ghosts of the past will not stay buried... Check the manga. It is way better than the anime.

Fist of North Star - Martial arts/drama/post-apocalyptic. In the enar future, nuclear war has turned the world into a barren wasteland. Human civilization has collapsed. In this situation, food and water are the only things worth, and the only law is the law of the jungle. Gangs of thugs and bandits roam the devastated wastes, preying on the weak and helpless with impunity. In this situation, Kenshiro, the titular hero, wanders from town to town, looking for his fiance Yuria kidnapped by his once best friend, as he protects those who can not protect themselves with his lethal martial art, the Fist of North Star, a fighting technique destroys internally the adversary's body. This manga has influenced most fighting mangas since it was published. The artist is excellent, the action is explosive, and -make no mistake about it- this series is VERY emotional.

Kimagure Orange Road - Romance/Comedy. Kyosuke Kasuga is a teenager whose family has moved several times to hid they have psychic powers. Shortly after arriving a new city, he meets Madoka Ayukawa, a beautiful, warm and nice young girl he inmediately likes. However, when he meets her in his school, she acts cold to him, and everyone tell him she is a delinquent he should stay away from. At the same time, Hikaru, Madoka's best friend, gets a crush on him. However Kyosuke has fallen in love with Madoka (in spite of her vonfusing and constant mood shifts) and only sees Hikaru like a friend. Meanwhile, Madoka IS in love with Kyosuke but she would never betray her best friend... and there you have it. This series defined love triangle in anime, and it stands over other romantic comedies due to the charism and depth of their main characters. Watch the anime first, but the manga is worth to read.

Claymore - Medieval fantasy/drama/action. In a medievalesque world plagued by demons, an organization creates the claymores, half-human/half-demon hybrids to fight the demons, named claymores. A claymore called Claire meets a boyd named Ranski and she adopts him after he was cast out from his town. Ranski follows Claire as she goes from deadly fight to deadly fight.

Saint Seiya - Fantasy/action. In a world where pagans gods reincarnate every century to fight using armored human champions, a Japanese child named Seiya gets forced to leave the orphanage where he lived and travel to Greek to become a warrior of Athena -named "saint"-. After undergoing an inhuman training he earns the Pegasus armor and travels back to Japan to get reunited with his sister. Little he knows, this is only the beginning of a series of battles between gods to protect/rule over the planet. This series has a bunch of flaws but they are overweighed by its good parts. And it is my childhood. Watch the anime, disregard the movies, and check the last saga of the manga.

Slam Dunk - Basket/romance. Rowdy, temperamental high school student Hanamichi Sakuragi hates basket after still another girl turned him down in faour of a basket player. However, when he finds Haruko, he decides becoming a basketball plaer in order to win her over. Often he plays matches, though, he finds out that he LIKES bastket. In fact, it is turning him in a better person.

Gundam/Gundam Zeta - Sci-fi/robots. Too long to summarize in a post, but this is one of the best robot anime and one of the most popular and influential anime done, period.

Dirty Pair - Sci-Fi/action/comedy. In the far future, humanity has spread across the galaxy, but that doesn't mean there aren't any problems any more. In fact, there are quite a lot of them, and some of them are worse than people could have dreamed of before going into space. An agency of the galactic government deals with these problems by dispatching teams of highly-trained, well-equipped troubleshooters, called "Trouble Consultants", to solve the trouble. One of the most successful teams of Trouble Consultants is the "Lovely Angels", two teenaged girls who have a near-perfect success record. However, they also have a reputation of blowing up everything they touch... which is unfair. Only a third of their missions end with something being destroyed, and it's never their fault (so what if some of the things they have accidentally blown up are inhabited planets? It was an accident!), which has led to their unofficial and hated nickname of the "Dirty Pair". This anime is a riot and it is highly recomendable.

Edit:

Ranma 1/2 - Martial arts/comedy/romance. Ranma Saotome and Akane Tendo are two young martial artists whose parents have got them engaged to join both fighting schools. Obviously, neither of them is happy about the situation, and they argue constantly. Complicating matters, Ranma is cursed to change sexes when splashed with water thanks to an idiotic training of his idiotic parents. And then a parade of wacky characters, plenty of them wanting marrying or killing one of them comes to town. This manga has action and crazy comedy. It is part of my teen years.

Urusei Yatsura - Sci-fi/romance/comedy. The life of slacker, lecher, dumb teen Ataru Moroboshi changes completely when an alien fleet arrives to Earth to invade it. Though they declare they will leave peacefully if one of them -Ataru- wins the leader's daughter in a tag team game. After ten days Ataru manages winning the game, but his troubles have just begun. The alien girl has fallen in love with him.

Mazinger-Z - Robots/action/drama. During an archeaological expedition to a Greek island, a scientist named Dr. Hell found an army of ancient, humongous mechas beneath a maze of ruins. Deciding using them to take over the world, he kills all remainder scientists in the expedition, but one. Dr. Kabuto manages running away and goes back to Japan, where he devotes several years to build a weapon capable to fight Hell's humongous mecha. Hell gets him assassinated to prevent him from becoming an obstacle, but not before Kabuto handed over to his grandson Kouji his creation: the super robot Mazinger-Z. This series did not create the genre, but it defined it. In case of you do not care for the Monster-of-the-week format the anime follows, the manga is better. And darker. Mazinger-Z has two sequels, Great Mazinger and Grendizer. the latter is maybe the best of the trio.

Record of Lodoss War - Fantasy/drama. In other world, armies of gods battled each other until their mutual annihilation. The two last combatants were Marfa, goddess of creation and Kardis, goddess of destruction. Before dying, Kardis cursed the Earth where she fell, but Marpha split it from the mainland, creating the cursed island of Lodoss. Through the centuries, Lodoss would be the theatre of endless wars between good and evil. Fantastically animated, this anime is a classic of the high fantasy genre.

Lone Wolf and Cub - Seinen/historical/action/drama. This story happens in the eighteenth century. Itto Ogami is Shogun's executor. However, the powerful Jagyu clan covets his position, so they murder his family except for his son Daigoro, and frame him for high treason. Ousted and revengeful, Itto abandons the Code of Samurai and becomes a ronin assassin, wandering Japan together with his son while planning his revenge. This manga is a seinen, so do not expect shonen's normal tropes. It is VERY dramatic and bloody.

Sailor Moon - Shojo manga/magical girl/romance/actino. Usagi Tsukino believed she was an average girl until she met Luna, a talking cat revealed she was a sailor senshi, a magical warrior whose duty was finding and protecting the Moon Princess and defeating Dark Kingdom. However Usagi can not achieve that alone. Classic shojo manga. The manga is superior to the anime in everything but art.

Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets - Sci-fi/action/drama. Earth is threatened by an international terrorist organization of technologically advanced villains, known as Galactor is trying to take control of the Earth's natural resources. To oppose to them is created a team of five young scientifically-engineered ninja super-heroes: the Gatchaman Team. Another classic super-hero anime.

Again, I'll add more recomendations when I have more time.

Edited by Jenskott, 13 May 2014 - 01:13 PM.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#7 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

I definitely second zacrathedemon5's recommendation. Pandora Hearts and Deadman Wonderland are both amazing, especially Pandora Hearts, but for a couple others I recommend:

Kekkaishi -- The anime only covers less than half of the manga storyline, and it's definitely worthwhile to read the manga to get the full, complete story. The plot is a bit slow to get underway but the story only improves as it goes along. The main hero's journey and development carries some similarities to Naruto's, but the execution is overall far more consistent in its progression.

Middle school student Sumimura Yoshimori is a kekkaishi, a demon hunter, tasked with protecting the land of Karasumori along with his neighbor and childhood friend Tokine -- also a kekkaishi -- from the demons who would try to use Karasumori's unique properties as a source of power.

Soul Eater -- Again the anime covers about half of the manga, and then diverges. Personally I found the anime ending unsatisfying and I would say the manga is far superior, despite the fan service-y moments and the writer's penchant for perverted humor. In spite of those shortcomings though, I still consider this easily one of my favorite manga. I'm fond of many of the characters and the relationships between characters, and I love that it has a strong heroine who is not left behind in favor of the boys. 

Maka Albarn is a scythe technician, working to perfect her living scythe and partner, Soul Eater. By feeding on the souls of 99 wicked humans and one witch, Soul will become the ultimate weapon -- the Death Scythe. But along the way Maka and Soul will face numerous challenges and it will be a wonder if Maka can even survive, much less make Soul the next Death Scythe.

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 25 May 2014 - 08:50 PM.

#8 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

Rose of Versailles - Historic/romance/drama. The history revolves around three characters, one of them fictional: Marie Antoinette, queen of France, her lover count Axel Von Fersen and Oscar de Jaryajes. Despite being female, Oscar was raised like a man and trained like a soldier since her father despaired over never having a son to continue his family's militar legacy. Oscar becomes commander of the Royal Guard and gets entangled in the riots of that age. At the same time he becomes aware of the plight of the poor he falls in love with Fersen, in spite of her best friend and servant, Andre, is love with her. How you surely can tell for the setting, this story is very dramatic and it has not a happy ending.

Touch - Baseball/romance/drama/comedy. Tatsuya, Kazuya and Minami have been together for as long as they can remember. They lived next each other, grew up together, played together and studied together. And suddenly, one day Tatsuya and his twin brother realized Minami was a girl. The only thing Tatsuya wishes is the three of them being together forever, so he steps aside, determined to let his brother win Minami over and get all praise as he come across like an useless slacker to everybody. However Tatsuya forgets that Kazuya has never asked someone letting him win a match, and Minami herself made a choice long ago...

Tomorrow's Joe/Akittena no Joe - Boxing/drama. Joe Yabuki is a troubled young man who runs away from an orphanage. Wandering through the Tokyo slums, he meets former boxing trainer Danpei. Joe is later arrested and goes to a temporary jail. His experiences in there -including picking several fights and making several rivalr and friends- inspire Joe to take up boxing. If you have read/watched Hajime no Hippo, you have an idea of what expecting. This series was incredibly popular back in its day.

Uchuu Senkan Yamato/Space Battleship Yamato - Sci-fi/drama. In the year 2199, an alien race known as the "Gamilas" unleash radioactive meteorite bombs on Earth, rendering the planet's surface uninhabitable. Humanity has retreated into deep underground cities, but the radioactivity is slowly affecting them as well, with humanity's extinction estimated in one year. Earth's space fleet is hopelessly outclassed by the Gamilas and all seems lost until a message capsule from a mysterious crashed spaceship is retrieved on Mars. The capsule yields blueprints for a faster-than-light engine and an offering of help from Queen Starsha of the planet Iscandar: She says that her planet has a device which can cleanse Earth of its radiation damage. The inhabitants of Earth secretly build a massive spaceship inside the ruins of the gigantic Japanese battleship Yamato which lies exposed at the former bottom of the ocean location where she was sunk in World War II, and using Starsha's blueprints, they equip the new ship with a space warp drive, called the "wave motion engine", and a new, incredibly powerful weapon at the bow called the "Wave Motion Gun". The tripulation of Yamato leaves for stars with a mission: going to Iscandar and back in less than one year, bringing the clensing device, as they survive the continued assaults of the Gamilas fleet. This anime was one of the first became popular in USA.

The Slayers - Fantasy/comedy/parody/drama. The setting is a fantasy world. Lina Inverse is a greedy, gluttonous, prideful, not-quite-stable, incredibly short-tempered and exttremely powerful sorcerer that wanders the land to fulfill her goals: finding treasures, eating huge meals, learning new super-destructive spells, eating copious meals and frying bandits (in that order of preference). Thanks to her frequent bursts of temper AND power she has earned several endearing nicknames such like "The Enemy Of All Living Creature" and "Even A Dragon Would Run Away From Her" (fact proved in the first episode). In the first episode she gains a partner: Gourry Gabriev, a mercenary swordsman incredibly skillful and utterly wittless. Together they will get involved in the battles between the powerful beings rule over Lina's world: the divine dragons and the demon beasts... much to Lina's chagrin, since she is not interested in performing world-saving antics but she ALWAYS gets roped in the work somehow. It was born like light novels. Watch the anime -and read the novels if you can find them-, ignore the manga versions.

Captain Tsubasa - Soccer/action. Tsubasa Ozora is an eleven-year-old has always loved soccer since he was a toddler. At the beginning of the story, his family move to the city of Nankatsu, a town well known for their talented elementary school football teams and where Tsubasa meets Ryo Ishizaki, a football-loving young student who often sneaks out from his house to play football and Sanae Nakazawa an enthusiastic girl who also loves football and helps cheer the Nankatsu High team on, and he becomes rival of Genzo Wakabayashi, a highly talented young goalkeeper whom he soon challenges to a game in Nankatsu's annual Sports Festival. He also meets Roberto Hongo, one of the best Brazilian footballers, who is a friend of Tsubasa's father, and who arrives in Japan and starts living with Tsubasa and his mother. Roberto becomes a mentor to Tsubasa and helps him to harness his football skills, convincing him to join Nankatsu Elementary and its fledgling high school football team, which Roberto coaches later as he passes his techniques onto Tsubasa.

Tosho Daimos/Starbirds - Mecha/romance/drama. After the destruction of their home world, the survivors of the planet Baam head towards Earth with the goal of negotiating the purchase of land for emigration. Unfortunately, during the negotiations, the Baam-seijin leader, Leon, is assassinated and the delegation from Earth is framed for the murder. In the ensuing chaos, Doctor Isamu Ryūzaki of the Earth delegation is shot and killed. Shortly after the disastrous end of the talks, the Baam-seijin begin a campaign of terror against Earth, led by revengeful Leon’s son, Admiral Richter, who deploys a variety of “Mecha Soldiers” against the planet’s defenses. The only thing standing between the Earthlings and annihilation is the transforming, karate-using super robot, Daimos and its pilot, Kazuya Ryūzaki. But that changes when he meets and falls in love with a mysterious girl named Erika, who turns out to be Richter’s sister. Over the course of their struggles to reunite, Kazuya and Erika each learn that the other’s people are not all evil... and that their own people are not all good.

Bubblegum Crisis - The year is 2032, seven years after the Second Great Kanto Earthquake has split Tokyo in two zones. Genom, a corrupt megacorporation with immense power and global influence, produces boomers - cyberdroids used for manual labor and military purposes. While Boomers are intended to serve mankind, they become deadly instruments in the hands of ruthless individuals. Unknown to the public, Genom murdered the scientist created the boomers in order to steal his invented technology, and use them constantly to commit crimes. The AD Police are tasked to deal with Boomer-related crimes, but they are ineffectual due to political infighting, red tape, and an insufficient budget. Sylia Stingray, daughter of the scientist murdered by Genom, forms a all-female mercenary team called the Knight Sabers that uses their considerable combat abilities and hard suits (highly advanced suits of powered armor invented by Sylia's father) to fight boomers and Genom's machinations. They battle against long odds to overcome grave threats throughout the OVA series and preserve the overall safety of Mega Tokyo. It must be noted that this series was highly influenced by Blade Runner. Watch the ova series first.

Ronin Warriors/Yoroiden Samurai Troopers - Fantasy/action/armored warriors. Talpa, the demon lord of the Netherworld, is bent on conquering the mortal world. Several centuries ago his first conquering attempt failed when a warrior fought Talpa and split his armor in nine fragments, each one of them morphing into a mystical armour. Hundred of years later he invades the mortal world again, but standing against Talpa and his four Dark Warlords are the five Ronin Warriors, each in possession of mystical armor (one of the pieces of Talpa's amor) and weapons. They are assisted by Mia Koji, a young student-teacher, and a mysterious warrior-monk known only as The Ancient.

Neo-Human Casshern/Casshan - Sci-fi/drama/action. In the future, Dr. Kotaro Azuma creates the first android, BK-1. Quickly robots begin to be produced in great numbers. However, BK-1, goes out of control, escapes, and creates a robot army which he led to conquer the Earth. In order to attempt to stop him, Dr. Azuma rebuils his son Tetsuya as "Casshern", an incredibly strong and agile robot who devotes his new existence to hunting down and destroying the Andro Army of BK-1, now styling himself Braiking. Accompanied by Friender, a robotic dog able to transform itself into various vehicles, and Luna Kozuki, a plucky young woman whose scientist father gave her an anti-robot pistol, he wanders the land as he faces hatred and discrimination of both androids -who regard him like a traitor- and humans -who regard him like another of the evils robots enslaving him, and almost never listen when he claims not all robots are evil-. This series had much action and battles and at the same time was very bleak. I recommend the first anime, but in case of you do not like you, there are modern versions -like Casshern Sins- that tone the action and cheesiness down.

Astroboy/Tetsuwan Atom - Sci-fi/drama/Action. In the distant -when the manga got started- future, Dr. Tenma, of the Institute of Science, loses his son in an accident. Half-mad with grief, the roboticist decides creating a replacement. So, he creates "Tetsuwan Atom/Astroboy," a rocket-powered android in his late son's image, and programs him to be a "good little boy." However he quite soon realizes Astroboy is not his son and can not replace him, so Dr. Tenma starts abusing Astroboy physically and verbally, finally selling him into slavery. After a while, Prof. Ochanomizu finds Astroboy and takes him in, treating him gently and wamrly and becoming his legal guardian, and encourages him to combat crime and injustice. Much like Goku, Gundam RX78, Sailor moon, Doraemon or Lupin the Third, Astroboy is one of the main and most recognizable anime icons, and many anime versions have been made throughout the decades (the latest in 2009), so it is relatively easy find one to your liking.

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#9 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:53 AM

I have a long (and constantly growing) list of anime I want to watch. I tend to watch one to a few series at a time rather than cram it all into my head, so the list is never short. lol

Anime I'm currently watching:

-Naruto Shippuden (sub and dub)

-Attack on Titan (sub and dub)

-Blue Excorcist 

-Hetalia World Series

Here's my list of anime to check out as it currently stands:

-Fate/Zero

-Madoka Magica

-Kill La Kill

-Pet Girl of Sakurasou

-Persona 4: the animation

-Another (watched part of it with a friend already)

-Is This a Zombie?

-Magi

-Maid-sama

-ToRaDoRa

-Death Note

-Gosick

-Coppelion

-Cowboy Bebop

-Kimi no Todeke

-Pandora Hearts

-D. Gray Man

-Full Metal Panic

-Romeo x Juliet

-Inyuasha

-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suziachia

-Wolf Children

-Elfen Lied

-Life of High School Boys

-Sgt Frog (watched approx 14 episodes, never finished. Never liked it that much, but it had it's comedic moments.)

-High School of the Dead

-Shugo Chara

-Squid Girl

-Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (unless I find the humor too gross for my liking, but I'll give it a chance)

Edited by questdrivencollie, 31 May 2014 - 12:56 AM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#10 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:18 AM

-Gosick

I'm watching Gosick currently. Love it. :love:

#11 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:30 AM

I'm watching Gosick currently. Love it. :love:

I watched the first episode when my friend told me I might like it. Didn't impress me all that much, but I heard that although it might start out slow it gets really good. I just haven't gotten around to the rest of it yet.

~Relient K

#12 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

I watched the first episode when my friend told me I might like it. Didn't impress me all that much, but I heard that although it might start out slow it gets really good. I just haven't gotten around to the rest of it yet.

It does get better once it hits its stride, it's not flawless, but I enjoy it. :happy:

#13 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Another series is The Earl and the Fairy.

My friend read the manga and paid me to order the anime on DVD for her. (Because her computer was riddled with viruses.)

Edited by questdrivencollie, 31 May 2014 - 04:10 PM.

~Relient K

#14 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

- Great Teacher Onizuka - Drama/comedy. Eikichi Onizuka is a twenty-two-year-old, black belt, pervert guy who finds that being a former delinquent and a drop-out does not open a lot of oportunities in the job market. One day he realizes that if he becomes a teacher he will get to spend time with a lot of young girls. However he unexpectedly realizes he has morals and compassion. Hence, he can not flirt with female alumni, not matter how badly he want to lose his virginity, and he really wants to help troubled students. He gets hired for the principal of a prestigious private school -she saw him German-suplexing a staffer and she just knew she had to hire him- and is put in charge of a class who believe it is their sole mission to run any teacher they're given right out of town. Thus, starts his mission to help a pack of young delinquents to solve their troubles as he attempts to keep himself from being fired.

- Patlabor - Slice-of-life/comedy/drama/mecha. In the near future, robots named labors are used to heavy labor and building. However, labors are also used by delinquents to commit crimes. To deal with those crimes, it is created a police special unit -known as the Special Vehicles Unit- that uses patrol labors (shortened to "patlabors").SVU's Division 1 is a team of highly competent and professional agents. This is NOT their story. No, this is the story of the scruffy, half-competent, slightly nutty rookies with a propensity towards massive property damage that form Division 2. Patlabor is very different of any mecha I have ever watched -and believe me, I have watched a ton-, and it is the most realistic one: there is not a war against anybody; the giant meach are nothing but machines with four limbs that break down and run out of fuel and have no eccentric weaponry; the story is almost wholly focused on the daily lives of the cops of the Division 2; the future world presented in the series is not an utopia or dystopia but it was virtually identical to the world of today, only slightly more advanced. In short, this is a slice-of-life anime disguised like a sci-fi humongous mecha cartoon.

- Macross/Robotech - Sci-fi/romance/mecha. In 1999 a city-sized alien spacecraft crashes in South Ataria Island on Earth. Over the course of 10 years the military organization U.N. Spacy reverse-engineers its technology and rebuilds the spacecraft, naming it the SDF-1 Macross. In 2009 at the launch of the Macross, a young civilian pilot, Hikaru Ichijyo, comes to visit the Macross. During the launch ceremony, a space war fleet from an alien race of humanoid giants -called Zentraedi- arrives into the solar system and identifies the Macross as a former battleship used by their enemies, the Supervision Army. As the Zentradi approach the Macross the original systems override the crew's commands and fire its main cannon, wiping out the advance alien scouts and starting a war. While Hikaru takes the new VF-1 Valkyrie on a test flight the aliens retaliate. He then encounters Lynn Minmay and rescues her from the aliens. The Macross crew attempts to use the experimental "Fold System" (Faster-than-light drives) to escape to the Moon's orbit, but it accidentally takes the Macross and South Ataria Island to the edge of the solar system instead. Since the fold systems have vanished after the jump,the Macross is forced to make its way back to Earth, as they are chased by that alien civilization whose origins seem to be strangely linked to the humans... This series is remembered by being one of the first shows with transforming meachs, one of the first anime shows became hugely popular in America, and its legendary love triangle.

- Oh My Goddess- Seinen/romance/comedy/mythology. The main character is Keiichi Morisato, a nice, hapless college sophomore whose life takes a turn to the unexpected when he accidentally calls the Goddess Technical Help Line and a beautiful goddess named Belldandy -one of the three Norn from Norse mythology- materializes in his room. She tells him that her agency has received a system request from him, so she has been sent to grant him a single wish. Skeptical and thinking someone is playing a practical joke on him, he wishes that she stay with him forever. So she does. He is about of finding out of sometimes what you wish IS what you get. Kind of. He did not wish for a parade of supernatural beings, gods (including Belldandy's sisters), demons, rivals and lunatics showing out of nowhere to complicate his life.

- Lupin the Third - Seinen/crime/action. Arsene Lupin III, grandson of the gentleman thief created by french writer Maurice LeBlanc, is the world's greatest thief. He travels across the world, accompanied by Jigen -his right-hand and excellent marksman-, Goemon -a master sowrdsman- and Fujiko Mine -femme fatale and Lupin's love interest who is so liable to help Lupin as betray him and his adversaries and running with the money/valuable item-, commiting all kind of flamboyant capers. Lupin is constantly chased by Inspector Zenigata, an incorruptible, hard-as-nuts cop who has made it his life's work to arrest them, chasing Lupin across the globe. This series is very funny and packed with action and charismatic characters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users