Silver Spoon - by Hiromu Arakawa

• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#1 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

I know many of us were fans of Fullmetal Alchemist, so here's Arakawa's new manga. smile.gif

Silver Spoon 1

This is about a city boy who decides to enrol at a farming high school. I'm not sure what the direction of this manga will be, but it certainly looks different so far.

Spoilers behind tags, please!

#2 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Whatever comes to mind

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:38 PM

I like it so far, true it is different from FMA but variety is the spice of life

Yotsubato! - Enjoy Everything!

#3 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:52 AM

I really don't know what to say. dry.gif
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#4 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:51 AM

Well, general armstrong is back and still as healthy as ever XD

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#5 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Apr 17 2011, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, general armstrong is back and still as healthy as ever XD

with hair.

This manga's weird! But sorta funny too! I have no idea where it's headed though...

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#6 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Arakawa actually took a step down mellow.gif but I'll see how things go after 25-50 chapters have past.

Edited by Dreamer, 18 April 2011 - 04:09 AM.

#7 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

The first chapter is alright but I can't think of any way for him to keep this interesting.

JLHza2T.png

#8 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Whatever comes to mind

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Muffins? @ Apr 18 2011, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The first chapter is alright but I can't think of any way for her to keep this interesting.

unless Arakawa Hiromu has had a sex change that hasn't been publicized she is still a woman, seriously though, perhaps it is because i read a great variety of manga, I like slice of life stuff.

One of my favourites is Cross Game by Adachi Mitsuru, if she can channel half of his story telling ability in this manga (I know she can after reading FMA) it will be a great manga.

Yotsubato! - Enjoy Everything!

#9 Outou

Outou

when I'm really just a reclusive wanker

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:adventures, animals, anime, art, bleach, books, clamp, creating, daydreaming, dorks, dreams, fanfiction, friends, ghibli, history, internet, jpop, jrock, literature, love, magic, manga, math, merlin, movies, music, mythology, naruto, philosophy, poetry, procrastination, psychology, reading, science, seiyuu, video games, ♪。。。

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

Well, I wouldn't judge the manga with only one single chapter released. =________=

#10 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

I actually kind of like this (and oddly enough, it feels like Arakawa observed and sketched me for her new protagonist). It reminds me much of my time at Cal Poly, lots of agriculture going around when I grew up in the San Francisco Bay area that left me unfamiliar with such things for the most part. And yeah, this is obviously not going to be an action fantasy like FMA, and while I'm normally not fond of slice-of-life manga, I'm very interested to see where this will go since this is a slice of life that a lot of people don't get to experience. I mean, how many members on this board grew up on a farm or spent a good portion of their life on one? I'm wagering not many.

LOL, if Armstrong was a PE teacher, I'd expect even worse! tongue.gif

#11 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Apr 18 2011, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually kind of like this (and oddly enough, it feels like Arakawa observed and sketched me for her new protagonist). It reminds me much of my time at Cal Poly, lots of agriculture going around when I grew up in the San Francisco Bay area that left me unfamiliar with such things for the most part. And yeah, this is obviously not going to be an action fantasy like FMA, and while I'm normally not fond of slice-of-life manga, I'm very interested to see where this will go since this is a slice of life that a lot of people don't get to experience. I mean, how many members on this board grew up on a farm or spent a good portion of their life on one? I'm wagering not many.

LOL, if Armstrong was a PE teacher, I'd expect even worse! tongue.gif

While your apearence was used, my personality was stolen and placed on the protagonist, lol, I pretty much act like him, aways sulking when things go wrong. I personally like this series a lot, slice of life is one of my favourite genres, I see a lot of potetial on this, the unusual school setting is also an plus.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#12 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

Not to mention I think Arakawa grew up on a dairy farm herself, right?

#13 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:34 AM

She did. It's the reason why her avatar was a cow.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#14 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

My home state is still mostly rural (I even have relatives on both sides of my family that still live on farms) although I'm a second generation city kid on both my mom and dad's side. Some of the things seemed very familiar- the main character's attitude that rural people are stupid, for example, and the major zeal rural schools have for sports... All my country cousins (boys and girls) were involved in sports activities from Elementary school up to their last year in High school.

Edited by ciardha, 19 April 2011 - 04:27 AM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#15 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

Speaking of which...if his goal was to go to the school to be the top of the class in a school that was made up of, in his view, dumbassess...wouldn't that just make him a mediocore student anyway, if colleges didn't think highly of that school (I'm assuming whether he went to this school or a city school he ultimately plans to go to college)?

#16 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Apr 19 2011, 02:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speaking of which...if his goal was to go to the school to be the top of the class in a school that was made up of, in his view, dumbassess...wouldn't that just make him a mediocore student anyway, if colleges didn't think highly of that school (I'm assuming whether he went to this school or a city school he ultimately plans to go to college)?

I guess I understood it as this was their secondary education. Like this was their college. Maybe I'm wrong.
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#17 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Apr 19 2011, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's more about ego, with him bragging that he was the best of the best on his school, while on the more high roller schools, he would be nothing but an average wimp.

BTW, chapter 2 is already out: http://www.mangaread...ilver-spoon/2/2 It seems that unlike FMA, this series is weekly, and amen for that. Well, the chapter itself was great, but just how naive is the main protagonist? He don't even know were chicken eggs come from? I wonder if he had biology classes...

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#18 Outou

Outou

when I'm really just a reclusive wanker

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:adventures, animals, anime, art, bleach, books, clamp, creating, daydreaming, dorks, dreams, fanfiction, friends, ghibli, history, internet, jpop, jrock, literature, love, magic, manga, math, merlin, movies, music, mythology, naruto, philosophy, poetry, procrastination, psychology, reading, science, seiyuu, video games, ♪。。。

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:56 AM

I'm glad that unlike the majority of mangakas, Arakawa-sensei can write a whole different story (with her own non-cliched [(!) this sounds hilarious XD] funny and awesome characters) after successful FMA.
BTW, the main character is so adorkable. ( ยด∀`)

#19 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ Apr 19 2011, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's more about ego, with him bragging that he was the best of the best on his school, while on the more high roller schools, he would be nothing but an average wimp.

BTW, chapter 2 is already out: http://www.mangaread...ilver-spoon/2/2 It seems that unlike FMA, this series is weekly, and amen for that. Well, the chapter itself was great, but just how naive is the main protagonist? He don't even know were chicken eggs come from? I wonder if he had biology classes...

You'd be surprised how ignorant some people can be when it comes to food... sweatdrop.gif For the majority of people, food comes neatly packed in the local supermarket, and they don't see the need to find out about the actual process.

Thanks for the link, enjoyed the second chapter. smile.gif It feels like a relaxing read so far.

Character profile --Click here to view--

Looking at Hachiken's mini-profile on page 6, it seems his main reason for enrolling was because the school had dormitories. I wonder if he was trying to get away from his home/family?

Oh, and we're starting to see why the manga has its name! Maybe we'll find out more about its significance soon?

#20 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:37 AM

Ah, Ms. Arakawa's art style is beautiful as always. It's one of the main reasons why I love FMA, her art style is just great.
It's nice to learn something about farming along the way too. I'm just a knowledge hound geek.gif

Actually, I too didn't know where eggs came from chickens specifically. Just a vague notion of "it comes out of a chicken."

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 20 April 2011 - 01:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users