34 replies to this topic

#1 Fanwoman

Fanwoman

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:29 AM

I'm hoping this is an okay place to put this, since you can't really call a canon pairing "crack."

I know our focus is NS, but I was a little sad to have not yet found much discussion of those outside the main two couples.

On the one forum I occasionally visit, I was surprised how weirded out people were about this pairing. I thought I might share my thoughts, in case anyone here was equally weirded out by these two.

A story-based explanation of Choji and Karui:

Naruto wanted the ninja nations to come together in peace. What better way to show he succeed than to have people from other nations marry Konoha people? There's always been that 2 guys/1girl issue with teams, so picking a girl from another nation makes sense. Karui is the only Rookie-aged kunoichi we'd met from Cloud, so it makes sense she'd end up married to someone in Konoha for the sake of the story.

Also, Naruto, Sasuke, and Shikamaru were already taken, and apparently Kishimoto was more interested in making fun of Kiba and Shino and Lee (sort of) to marry her off to one of them. That leaves Choji, proud heir of his clan, a man who would feel a responsibility to have kids.

A personal explanation:

Karui grew up with the strongest, most admirable men of her nation being hefty, so she wouldn't find Choji's size an issue. Also, most men are probably neither strong enough nor easygoing enough to have her for a wife.

Choji is both strong and easy going. He also dreamed of finding a wife and worried no one would like him because of his weight. If Karui said she was interested in him, that would probably have been enough for him to fall for her. Never underestimate how attractive being desired is to someone who is usually rejected by the opposite gender.

Don't you think he'd be an awesome dad? I liked their kid best--she had sass!

#2 Kyaerai

Kyaerai

My faith in humanity.

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:25 AM

If I remember correctly on their way to Konoha Karui was talking to Omoi about how she wanted to meet an elite, attractive, cool-looking guy. That's why find this ship shocking. XD

WqQwzgf.gif

#3 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

what kills the ship--like most  of the end game pairings--is not its believability, its is the fact that one and all with the SOLE exception of ShikaTema, every single one comes clean out of nowhere. Even SaiIno has one peculiar moment that requires you to squint sideways through a mirror to see the connection,

Are the two a believable pairing? sure.

Are they a pairing with any development even a hint in the manga? No not in the slightest. And thusly the pairing while im certain it ahs its fan suffers like the rest as a joke.

in this case a weight joke.

My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#4 六道仙人

六道仙人

レヴィ 好き

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

naah, it's just a kittening stupid game of words: Choji is fat and not so much agile while Karui means "light". LOL

は天才バスケットマン桜木花道。

"I'm the Basketball genius, Hanamichi Sakuragi"

uvoJkhc.png

#5 Princess Iris

Princess Iris

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

naah, it's just a kittening stupid game of words: Choji is fat and not so much agile while Karui means "light". LOL

this^

#6 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

If it was about Inter-village relations wouldn't Samui make more sense? She is blond and we saw in his dreamworld he has a preference to well endowed blondes.

iAnby7W.gif

#7 Paperman

Paperman

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:The four main shounen manga. Animation in general.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

I suppose it does make sense to some people but the problem is, as I am sure many people have spoken of, is the fact it came out of literally nowhere.

#8 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

If it was about Inter-village relations wouldn't Samui make more sense? She is blond and we saw in his dreamworld he has a preference to well endowed blondes.

Does it really matter? It's all random. Even in SD or anime tried to secretly push Chouji with Ino, but hey, women must stick to one guy and if it's selfish, then that's because it is.

#9 Pix

Pix

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Boku no Hero Academia is better than Naruto

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:28 AM

It literally came out of nowhere but I still ship it! I think they look good and their daughter is my favorite character! I really like Saino too but jesus their kid needs a skin pigment change. Like if he wasn't so grey he'd be so adorable.    

Wish we could have saw Omoi though. I miss him.

Squad Roll call :

tumblr_ngv9unJacL1qhmbkio1_r1_500.png

#10 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:48 AM

It literally came out of nowhere but I still ship it! I think they look good and their daughter is my favorite character! I really like Saino too but jesus their kid needs a skin pigment change. Like if he wasn't so grey he'd be so adorable.    

Wish we could have saw Omoi though. I miss him.

He's there. He with Darui (now 5th? Raikage) in the Gokage Meeting.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#11 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:12 AM

Does it really matter? It's all random. Even in SD or anime tried to secretly push Chouji with Ino, but hey, women must stick to one guy and if it's selfish, then that's because it is.

Yeah I think the reason they chose Karui she was the argumentative type, just like Ino, (it was hinted that Choji liked her in the first part) so Karui is like Sai just a replacement for the person they liked before.

iAnby7W.gif

#12 Pix

Pix

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Boku no Hero Academia is better than Naruto

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

He's there. He with Darui (now 5th? Raikage) in the Gokage Meeting.

Oh my bad I missed it! 

Squad Roll call :

tumblr_ngv9unJacL1qhmbkio1_r1_500.png

#13 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

Anyways, back to Chouji/Karui... even though I said that is crack at is finest when the last 2 chapters came out, I can tolerate them as a couple.  Their kid, Chouchou, definitely gave me a laugh though.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#14 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:51 AM

If I remember correctly on their way to Konoha Karui was talking to Omoi about how she wanted to meet an elite, attractive, cool-looking guy. That's why find this ship shocking. XD

Well Choji is from an elite clan. And attractive in his own way. No I'm serious. Plus at this point Pairings can't bother me one bit. cause Trollmoto thinks crack pairings are SOOO Lomantiku!!!!!  :zaru:  :zaru:  :zaru:  :zaru:

(romantic just to clarify, in japanese pronunciation)

Edited by Phantom_999, 05 December 2014 - 12:57 AM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#15 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

Yeah I think the reason they chose Karui she was the argumentative type, just like Ino, (it was hinted that Choji liked her in the first part) so Karui is like Sai just a replacement for the person they liked before.

Actually, as one fic put it, since Shikamaru ended up married to a "scary foreign woman", his buddy should share the pain as well.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#16 Rabbit

Rabbit

Pappaparapappapa

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Being peculiar. Travelling around the world. Shoujo manga. Obsessed with cats. Jelly beans. NicoNico. SPLATOON. Honeyworks.

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

The problem is how? How did this pairing happen?

Shall we skate?❄❄

5a8024b87c1bc97de775cb6fa0967ff9.gif

#17 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

Well, if the spoilers are right, we will get the explanation in the movie. According to it, Chouji basically fell in love with Karui's cooking. And Karui, having never had a guy compliment her before outside of her shinobi skills, starts taking an interest in him. If it's true, then I don't mind the pairing at all.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#18 Rabbit

Rabbit

Pappaparapappapa

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Being peculiar. Travelling around the world. Shoujo manga. Obsessed with cats. Jelly beans. NicoNico. SPLATOON. Honeyworks.

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

Well, if the spoilers are right, we will get the explanation in the movie. According to it, Chouji basically fell in love with Karui's cooking. And Karui, having never had a guy compliment her before outside of her shinobi skills, starts taking an interest in him. If it's true, then I don't mind the pairing at all.

If it's true then I guess it'll be okay. I'm bothered by their daughter though.

Shall we skate?❄❄

5a8024b87c1bc97de775cb6fa0967ff9.gif

#19 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:08 PM

I always thought Chouji and Ino would get together. Guess Kishi can in no way permit any resemblence of NaruSaku in any way whatsoever. That's why Jiraiya failed and why Tsunade's dream was about Dan. Even in Obito's case, we don't ever see whether Rin romantically returns his feelings.

Edited by ThroughWithLove, 06 December 2014 - 11:09 PM.

Posted Image

Behold! Akame ga Kill's True Canon Pairing!

#20 Fanwoman

Fanwoman

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:15 PM

I think a 12-year age difference with the gal being older is reason enough to disregard that possibility. LOL

That aside, what seems to be an issue for everyone is that there was no explanation for the couple. This confuses me because:

1. It's a shonen action series; romance is tertiary at best.

2. Kishimoto clearly has no knack for anything remotely romantic.

3. There is naturally going to be a lot not covered when you have a huge gap in time like that between 699 and 700.

4. Choji's a secondary character, so it's unreasonable to expect his story to be covered in any meaningful way. And Karui is even less than secondary. Yes, you could say the same for ShikaTema, but they have had the whole series to build up little moments of direct and meaningful interactions. When would Choji and Karui have had time between her introduction as an antagonist and them being in different divisions during the war? Also, people don't have to meet as teens to have a meaningful relationship.

So I'm sorry if I don't find the argument, "They came out of nowhere" a particularly justifiable one when it comes to deriding this couple. Really, where was any relationship for Choji going to come from but nowhere?

Edited by Fanwoman, 07 December 2014 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users