• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Born from a NaruSaku Lemon

Born from a NaruSaku Lemon

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Naruto; NaruSaku, ShikaIno, JirTsu <br /><br />Listening to Music; Alternative Rock, Linkin Park, Three days Grace<br /><br />Daily Life; Girls, fooling around, pulling pranks, being a Jackass, etc, etc..<br /><br />Watching T.V; Wrestling, Anime, Reality shows

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

I've been noticing that a LOT of NaruSaku stories right now include either Angst, or tragedy. Now, I don't know about you, but I feel that some of these Angst stories, especially Angst/Romance stories, are going either too far, or are getting so close to being a S.O.G. (some Other Guy)/Sakura story that it's making me want to stop reading all the new stories that show up in the NaruSaku filter.

So I was wondering, how far is too far in a NaruSaku Angst/Romance story? How far can an author go before he loses readers instead of gaining them?

#2 Gnosismaster

Gnosismaster

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

I agree with you. There is only such much that you can withstand before snapping.

Off topic - How is JFO going?

#3 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

You know what...

I think most of those authors (who are not die-hard NaruSaku fans) are trying to kill us with the angst. especially those who are also NH/SS/NS(yaoi) fans

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#4 Shouri no Hana

Shouri no Hana

Call to Arms. Flames of WAR blaze once again

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:51 PM

That I have to agree with as well, the only angst I'll read it temporary angst, where it isn't a huge role in the story. Life is already depressing, I won't want to read it as well.

SOG/Saku gets to me as well, more or less it pisses me off or when an author changes a pairing halfway through the story and doesn't change the filter... urgh.

#5 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:I like to play sports: tennis, cricket, swimming, soccer, ping pong, basketball, squash, volleyball, badminton and most of all love to do martial arts. <br /><br />I am a black belt in taekwondo, orange belt in Karate. I have also done a little bit of judo and kick boxing.<br /><br />I also love reading. It is my favorite past time hobby next to all the others listed above. Due to the large amount of materials that I have read I have a lot of trouble writing my own fanfic since the ideas to make it different keeps coming to mind. I haven't submitted a single fanfic but I am writing an ongoing fic regarding Naruto which I hope to put online for others to read.<br /><br />I also like watching anime and reading manga and have been a fan since day one. (except for the fillers part ... But I still watched each and everyone)<br /><br />I have always liked Naruto and Sakura's pairing and I say make them a cannon couple --> this part is exclusively for Kishimoto-san.

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (Derock @ Dec 4 2007, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what...

I think most of those authors (who are not die-hard NaruSaku fans) are trying to kill us with the angst. especially those who are also NH/SS/NS(yaoi) fans

lol I think you are on to something.

I think angst mixed with fun moment and between favorite pairing can still be tolerable but when you have total OOCness and then you see the girl or the guy cheating on their partner with another or just leave them to be with another without author specifying in the beginning. It becomes too much.

I would rather read action, adventure and romance genre because sometimes real life is already as depressing as they come I would rather not have fiction go the same path

#6 Guest_Ceras_*

Guest_Ceras_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (Born from a NaruSaku Lemon @ Dec 4 2007, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been noticing that a LOT of NaruSaku stories right now include either Angst, or tragedy. Now, I don't know about you, but I feel that some of these Angst stories, especially Angst/Romance stories, are going either too far, or are getting so close to being a S.O.G. (some Other Guy)/Sakura story that it's making me want to stop reading all the new stories that show up in the NaruSaku filter.

So I was wondering, how far is too far in a NaruSaku Angst/Romance story? How far can an author go before he loses readers instead of gaining them?

I think I'll be under fire once I write this (as I have what most of my readers classify as "the angsty NaruSaku story,") but...

Perhaps this rise of "angst/tragedy/romance" NaruSaku fics may be a sign of:

A. Writers departing from the fairy-tale, "fluffy," sunshine-romance that is also prevalent in the NaruSaku category

B. The guy-best-friend-holding-unrequited-love-for-main-girl-girl-doesn't-return-affections ploy, I think, is a pretty malleable idea. It can go in a comic, cute, romantic direction or to another extreme: angsty, betrayals, intense sadness, etc. There's alot you can do with this kind of scenario and maybe writers are going in the latter direction.

The SOG/Sakura, I've noticed (and partially used myself) tends to be a device to intesify drama and suspense, most often to "attract" readers. However, as you questioned and assumed, this can backfire very easily if it isn't "executed" the right way.

I feel that non-conscientious writers will consequently lose their readers if they render this plot device to utter nonesense: like Sakura actually having sex with another guy while she's presumably in a relationship with Naruto...and then he goes through a "anger/emo" phase....the two fight...she sleeps with other guys to "relieve the pain of losing Naruto" etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Now that, is going too far.

When it comes to angst, I've observed (and learned), that "moderation is key." (Of course I am aware there are some NaruSaku readers out there who digress and insist that angst is absolutely unnecessary). Its fine if there is some "sadness and tears"--I mean, come on--Naruto and Sakura live in a pretty dangerous world and undertake risky missions. If they only acquire victories instead of losses, endured virtually no stress and anxiety, and had no obstacles to face or overcome when in a relationship: let's face it, the story would be unrealistic, idyllic, and boring.

#7 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

I agree with a lot of what Ceras wrote here. He's made the points I would have.

In every art form there is generally a cycle of "styles", when it leans too far one way (Fluff) then people revolt towards the other spectrum, (Angst), and vice-versa.

I guess now is the time when we try to flow the other way as authors, but I think as Ceras has said, in any good work, there is usually balance. What one should do when introducing their piece or having a mini-scenario, as on FF.net, is include whether or not the piece is fluff or semi-realisitic.

On the topic: It's too far angst when every waking moment Naruto is depressed, and has no signs of his former, child-like self (in terms of energy). Unless justified realistically.

Other guy/Saku, I have no problems with, if it were real life, there's always a chance someone else may come in between the characters. I guess purists of NaruSaku may just hate them seeing others as attractive, even though in any relationship, even if you're bf/gf, you still notice how attractive others are. I don't know how other than again, to just warn others, there's another person?

Really the best any writer can do though, is justify the actions, believably. The examples Ceras gave, especially of Saku/sex with other guy, or vice-versa with Naruto, are....... a little too far, but I might believe it if "somehow" they justified the action realistically... but even then using sex to create drama, tension, or shock value I think is a weakness as a writer.

But again, with any art, it's all in the eye of the beholder. As any fanfiction writer may have known or seen at some point in their career, there are aspects of characters you view as True that others don't see at all. It all boils down to interpretation.

..... boy I prattled on for a while, hopefully someone understands.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#8 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:48 AM

While I don't like fullblown angst fics, I don't really mind some angsty moments in a fic. If a fic starts out with something bad happening, it would make the turn to fluff and sweetness all that better. If Naruto for instance is all "I'm not worthy of anyone" or something OOC like that, the moment where Sakura molest him in the name of NaruSaku smex is awesome! Angst and Romance can walk hand in hand if you ask me, and their lovechild is called Hurt/comfort and never leaves home without his favourite teddybear, Drama!

#9 Gnosismaster

Gnosismaster

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:52 AM

Hehe, I like what you said.

#10 Born from a NaruSaku Lemon

Born from a NaruSaku Lemon

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Naruto; NaruSaku, ShikaIno, JirTsu <br /><br />Listening to Music; Alternative Rock, Linkin Park, Three days Grace<br /><br />Daily Life; Girls, fooling around, pulling pranks, being a Jackass, etc, etc..<br /><br />Watching T.V; Wrestling, Anime, Reality shows

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:07 AM

Me too, it was True and funny. Also, I'm not saying Angst ain't good, just that too much is bad.

#11 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:14 AM

Angst is only enjoyable if the characters aren't OOC, and it ties into the story. Otherwise it ends up looking corny, and the angst is there just for the sake of it.
A NaruSaku Manifesto - A presentation on the NaruSaku pairing using the manga.

#12 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:I like to play sports: tennis, cricket, swimming, soccer, ping pong, basketball, squash, volleyball, badminton and most of all love to do martial arts. <br /><br />I am a black belt in taekwondo, orange belt in Karate. I have also done a little bit of judo and kick boxing.<br /><br />I also love reading. It is my favorite past time hobby next to all the others listed above. Due to the large amount of materials that I have read I have a lot of trouble writing my own fanfic since the ideas to make it different keeps coming to mind. I haven't submitted a single fanfic but I am writing an ongoing fic regarding Naruto which I hope to put online for others to read.<br /><br />I also like watching anime and reading manga and have been a fan since day one. (except for the fillers part ... But I still watched each and everyone)<br /><br />I have always liked Naruto and Sakura's pairing and I say make them a cannon couple --> this part is exclusively for Kishimoto-san.

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (Vyse @ Dec 4 2007, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I don't like fullblown angst fics, I don't really mind some angsty moments in a fic. If a fic starts out with something bad happening, it would make the turn to fluff and sweetness all that better. If Naruto for instance is all "I'm not worthy of anyone" or something OOC like that, the moment where Sakura molest him in the name of NaruSaku smex is awesome! Angst and Romance can walk hand in hand if you ask me, and their lovechild is called Hurt/comfort and never leaves home without his favourite teddybear, Drama!

very well put. It was intriguing and I totally agree with what you said :thumbs:

#13 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:38 AM

I'm fine with a little angst but not to the point where you start imagining the characters with black streaks in their hair, huge bags under their eyes and bloody bandages wrapped around their arms.

uc.png

#14 Leney

Leney

Little Ray of Sunshine

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:31 AM

As long as everyone involved is relatively IC then I can be masochistic and read the angsties of angsty angstiness. Although, people like to write Naruto as overly bitter and vindictive in some of these fics. I really don't think he has a vindictive bone in his body. Maybe he might feel pangs of bitterness at times, but he'd get past it, or else he would have ended up like Gaara a long time ago. IMO anyways.

That's why he's perfect angst fodder.

And I don't care how angsty your damn fic is. Naruto loves Sasuke like a brother! He's not going to hate his guts, because Sakura like(s/d) him. I don't even like Sasuke that much, but I do think stories that don't acknowledge their bonds w/ each other are lacking something.

Also, I don't understand though why neither Sakura or Naruto can't have sexual relations with other people? I don't see sex as the manifestation of TRUE LOVE. In a lot of these fics they're old enough to do these things w/ other people. So why not? Surely the mindblowing NaruSaku sex has to come from somewhere, hehe.

(This reminds me, I really liked the exchange between Sakura and Naruto in Experiments, when Sakura learns that Naruto isn't a virgin, by any means: "You're...kinda loose aren't you Naruto?" "It's just I can't afford to be picky.")
WTF Fanfic Quote of the Moment

"I nearly threw up in my mouth" exclaimed Sasuke, mentally scarred by the experience."You should do that!Except let her try and kiss you whilst you do!"laughed Naruto exitedly."That is WAY funny, and all the same way more creepy that that time at the preliminaries!"retorted Sasuke, remembering."uuughh! I feel so sorry for the shadow clones I made whilst we hid.I hear one of the sound genin got AIDS and CHLAMIDIA from Hayate"said Naruto pulling a face.

#15 Strausenhat

Strausenhat

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:38 AM

Clean Through is my limit on Angsty, if there's any story more filled with angst, it'll be filled with wrist slashing or suicide or something really bad and I really don't want to read that

#16 narutokage

narutokage

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (Leney @ Dec 5 2007, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as everyone involved is relatively IC then I can be masochistic and read the angsties of angsty angstiness. Although, people like to write Naruto as overly bitter and vindictive in some of these fics. I really don't think he has a vindictive bone in his body. Maybe he might feel pangs of bitterness at times, but he'd get past it, or else he would have ended up like Gaara a long time ago. IMO anyways.

That's why he's perfect angst fodder.

And I don't care how angsty your damn fic is. Naruto loves Sasuke like a brother! He's not going to hate his guts, because Sakura like(s/d) him. I don't even like Sasuke that much, but I do think stories that don't acknowledge their bonds w/ each other are lacking something.

Also, I don't understand though why neither Sakura or Naruto can't have sexual relations with other people? I don't see sex as the manifestation of TRUE LOVE. In a lot of these fics they're old enough to do these things w/ other people. So why not? Surely the mindblowing NaruSaku sex has to come from somewhere, hehe.

(This reminds me, I really liked the exchange between Sakura and Naruto in Experiments, when Sakura learns that Naruto isn't a virgin, by any means: "You're...kinda loose aren't you Naruto?" "It's just I can't afford to be picky.")

ah experiment. that was a good little piece and you are right I really liked that line as it summed up quite a few things regarding Naruto in one line and Sakura understood it as well.

#17 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:45 AM

As much as possible! :devil:

Nah, as long as it's reasonable, i'll accept it. tongue.gif
You try to know everything , yet in the end, you truly understand nothing ....
Wilson's fanfic account : weixuan18

Witness teh awesomness that is Deidara Lover!!! <3

#18 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Ceras @ Dec 5 2007, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I'll be under fire once I write this (as I have what most of my readers classify as "the angsty NaruSaku story,") but...

Perhaps this rise of "angst/tragedy/romance" NaruSaku fics may be a sign of:

A. Writers departing from the fairy-tale, "fluffy," sunshine-romance that is also prevalent in the NaruSaku category

B. The guy-best-friend-holding-unrequited-love-for-main-girl-girl-doesn't-return-affections ploy, I think, is a pretty malleable idea. It can go in a comic, cute, romantic direction or to another extreme: angsty, betrayals, intense sadness, etc. There's alot you can do with this kind of scenario and maybe writers are going in the latter direction.

The SOG/Sakura, I've noticed (and partially used myself) tends to be a device to intesify drama and suspense, most often to "attract" readers. However, as you questioned and assumed, this can backfire very easily if it isn't "executed" the right way.

I feel that non-conscientious writers will consequently lose their readers if they render this plot device to utter nonesense: like Sakura actually having sex with another guy while she's presumably in a relationship with Naruto...and then he goes through a "anger/emo" phase....the two fight...she sleeps with other guys to "relieve the pain of losing Naruto" etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Now that, is going too far.

When it comes to angst, I've observed (and learned), that "moderation is key." (Of course I am aware there are some NaruSaku readers out there who digress and insist that angst is absolutely unnecessary). Its fine if there is some "sadness and tears"--I mean, come on--Naruto and Sakura live in a pretty dangerous world and undertake risky missions. If they only acquire victories instead of losses, endured virtually no stress and anxiety, and had no obstacles to face or overcome when in a relationship: let's face it, the story would be unrealistic, idyllic, and boring.

Ceras ftw biggrin.gif

She has said everything that i think, and probably more biggrin.gif

th_glomp.gif Ceras biggrin.gif

QUOTE (chouzu_tao @ Dec 5 2007, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with a lot of what Ceras wrote here. She's made the points I would have.

Thought i should correct you, since Ceras is a WOMAN. lol.

#19 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:43 AM

It's very easy to go overboard with angst. People who try this genre just try to make things as bad as possible in an unrealistic way, and make the characters unable to get out of it when they should be able to.

The best way to use angst is to use it as an element, not the genre as a whole. You can create a bad situation for the characters that is completely understandable and will affect them for life. Then show them use their strength to overcome this problem, and there you have a decent story. It's okay if the ending is pretty dark too, so long as it's not totally random.

#20 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:54 AM

Too much angst?

When you kill off the characters from the story, and leaving Naruto in a depression as a drug-addict and a goth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users