Official MLB Thread

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#21 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (roninmedia @ Jan 26 2009, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marlins fan. Not much to talk about the team as they have done squat this off-season.

I'm not much into sports at all, but I *do* root for my home teams. Go Marlins! 111191.gif Ronin

#22 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jan 27 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Adrian Beltre, Richie Sexon....

I was TRYING to pretend we never signed Sexson, thankyouverymuch. *plugs ears* Lalalalalalalala.....

Beltre hasn't been horrible really, we overpaid but he's been decent at least.

And because I haven't been on LC in forever.
SAKURA-CHAN! HALF AND HALF SUPLEX RUNNING TIGER DRIVER GUTWRENCH POWERBOMB ROPEWALK TORNADO DDT GUILLOTINE LEGDROP ASAI MOONSAULT SHINING WIZAAAAAAAARD GLOMP OFF THE TOP ROPE! th_glomp.gif
QUOTE ("Down Goes Brown")
(For the younger readers, "HMV" and "Sam The Record Man" were record stores.)

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#23 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Jwolf0 @ Jan 27 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was TRYING to pretend we never signed Sexson, thankyouverymuch. *plugs ears* Lalalalalalalala.....

Beltre hasn't been horrible really, we overpaid but he's been decent at least.

And because I haven't been on LC in forever.
SAKURA-CHAN! HALF AND HALF SUPLEX RUNNING TIGER DRIVER GUTWRENCH POWERBOMB ROPEWALK TORNADO DDT GUILLOTINE LEGDROP ASAI MOONSAULT SHINING WIZAAAAAAAARD GLOMP OFF THE TOP ROPE! th_glomp.gif

Hahaha....Beltre hasn't played that poorly, he simply hasn't justified the amount spent on him.

Hey, if it'll make you feel better we signed Chan Ho Park for nearly $60 million....one of the worst free agent signings of all time in any sport. The stench of that signing still lingers in north Texas.

We also spent $252 million on A-Rod and spent 4 years in the basement before we dumped him on the Yankees. Immediately after that, the Rangers improved. He played well but just ask Yankee fans....he isn't worth $252 million.

#24 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

Why do you think we call him "Pay-Rod" and boo him all the time? I mean, he was all "I don't care about money, I just wanna win" when he didn't resign with the M's, then goes to Texas.

(no offense, dood, but you have to admit the Rangers weren't the team with the best chance of winning back in '98-'99.)

But just because, I'll see your Chan Ho Park and raise you trading Derek Lowe AND Jason Varitek for Heathcliff Slocumb.

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#25 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Jwolf0 @ Jan 27 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do you think we call him "Pay-Rod" and boo him all the time? I mean, he was all "I don't care about money, I just wanna win" when he didn't resign with the M's, then goes to Texas.

(no offense, dood, but you have to admit the Rangers weren't the team with the best chance of winning back in '98-'99.)

But just because, I'll see your Chan Ho Park and raise you trading Derek Lowe AND Jason Varitek for Heathcliff Slocumb.

We boo him too.

No they weren't. I think they made the playoffs in 1999, but were never serious contenders. They never have been, because of, well, the same problem we've had for twenty years: No pitching. It's nice that we set records for runs and lead the league most of the time, but if you average 5 runs a game you're still going to lose if your giving up five and half. That's the story of the Rangers since the early 1990's.

Our motto should be:

The Texas Rangers: We score runs fast. We give them up even faster.

How about: Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez to San Diego for Adam Eaton (1 year loan) Akinori Atksuka (2 year loan).

#26 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jan 27 2009, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But you got Sabathia (though you lost Mussina (I wonder if True ever forgave him for bolting to the Yankees) and the rich mans Carl Pavano, A.J. Burnet. If your lucky he'll only spend half the time on the DL that Pavano did. You also got Texiera, though I can't say I was sorry to lose him a couple of years ago since his agent is Scott Boras. After A-Rod, Rangers management has been very averse to having his clients around. I think Millwood is the only person on the team with Boras as ageny,

Heh can't really do anything about it since in baseball you basically follow the money.

The O's didn't really do much this off season and we still don't have a big time slugger and couldn't sign Mark Teixeira. The only good move they've made is locking up Nick Markakis and giving him the second biggest contract in franchise history. I think its a good move in changing the team by making it younger, more athletic and improving the defense.

Hopefully we'll do better than finishing last in the division like last season.

#27 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

id like to join in on how mediocre my team is but that trophy in my sig says otherwise. sad.gif

BTW C.C., Haren, and Blanton were all traded.

Blanton's the one with the ring. happy.gif

Cole Hamels, Jamie Moyer, Brad Lidge, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard, Shane Victorino, I could go on & on

#28 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

The phillies won because of their bullpen and their offense. They have the top offense because they have the top of the lineup full of people that can get on base and the middle of the lineup can get them home.So all the starting pitching needed to do was limit the damage to about 3 runs at least. Because the offense almost awlays was able to score enough. Of course we led the majors in comeback victories again and htat never hurts. But the bullpen won the world series, madson, romero, and lidge are the best1-2-3 combo in the league right now. And itwas amazing that they were able to shutdown tampa's offense especially upton and longoria. Though perhaps longoria was screwing up beacuse of the EVA chants he was getting in philly :teehee:
\

#29 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (Mik3 @ Jan 27 2009, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The phillies won because of their bullpen and their offense. They have the top offense because they have the top of the lineup full of people that can get on base and the middle of the lineup can get them home.So all the starting pitching needed to do was limit the damage to about 3 runs at least. Because the offense almost awlays was able to score enough. Of course we led the majors in comeback victories again and htat never hurts. But the bullpen won the world series, madson, romero, and lidge are the best1-2-3 combo in the league right now. And itwas amazing that they were able to shutdown tampa's offense especially upton and longoria. Though perhaps longoria was screwing up beacuse of the EVA chants he was getting in philly :teehee:

Was the best 1-2-3 combo. Isn't J.C. Romero going to be serving a really long suspension next season for being busted for performance enhancers?

Oh, and Jwolf let's see if you can top this one: Jose Canseco: We were getting blown out (again) so our manager decided to be cute and let Jose pitch. Jose blows out his arm and is never the same again. I believe that was also the same season in which Jose Canseco immortalized himself in the blooper hall of fame when he gave up a home run because the ball bounced off his head and over the fence.

#30 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jan 27 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was the best 1-2-3 combo. Isn't J.C. Romero going to be serving a really long suspension next season for being busted for performance enhancers?

Oh, and Jwolf let's see if you can top this one: Jose Canseco: We were getting blown out (again) so our manager decided to be cute and let Jose pitch. Jose blows out his arm and is never the same again. I believe that was also the same season in which Jose Canseco immortalized himself in the blooper hall of fame when he gave up a home run because the ball bounced off his head and over the fence.

yeah but only for 50 games, i would say was if he was banned from the game. And he got screwed with the suspension, he asked the MLBPA about it the drug and they said it was ok and he even bought it at a GNC store. So it wasn't like he was flying to cuba to get it. But Bud Selig has to look powerful I suppose
\

#31 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jan 27 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Adrian Beltre, Richie Sexon....

Beltre's one of the few bright spots in the line-up. A little overpaid, though.

Suckson was the bane of Mariner fans for years. I could never figure out why they never benched him. Must've been something in his contract.

Edited by Illjwamh, 28 January 2009 - 08:07 AM.

#32 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (Illjwamh @ Jan 28 2009, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beltre's one of the few bright spots in the line-up. A little overpaid, though.

Suckson was the bane of Mariner fans for years. I could never figure out why they never benched him. Must've been something in his contract.

I thought Beltre had an awful 2007 and did okay in 2008, but has never come close to replicating the season that got him that huge deal. I think they played Sexson because of the amount spent. They felt they had to because the committed so much to him. It's the same reason we spent three plus seasons trying to get something out of Chan Ho Park even though he was injured all the time and when he wasn't injured he was out there getting shelled.

#33 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jan 27 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jose Canseco

JOSE F'N CANSECO

...you win.

#34 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:I like writing, reading, working out, and being online. :3

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

GO YANKEES.

#35 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE (Jwolf0 @ Jan 29 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...you win.

How sad is it that the only noteworthy thing we can talk about with our respective teams is boneheaded personnel moves?

#36 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:39 AM

A-rod used roids, saw this coming

#37 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (Illmatic @ Feb 7 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A-rod used roids, saw this coming

I read about that too I am so disappointed I am (well was) a big fan. sad.gif

uc.png

#38 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

As much as I've bashed on A-Rod, I'm saddened that this came out.

But somehow I'm not surprised. And the fact that I'm not surprised saddens me just as much.

#39 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:I like writing, reading, working out, and being online. :3

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

It's the same as the Phelps controversy. Also, this is something that happened back in 03. That was six years ago. He was on the Rangers, and the pressure was probably getting to him. I'm willing to overlook that mistake in his choices and still be a fan. I'm not saying it's the right or only choice, but it is still human to feel pressure. Anyway, how do we know that Ruth, Bonds and Aaron didn't do steroids too? I'm not changing my opinion of him, and he's still a great player to me.

#40 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (Dark @ Feb 8 2009, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's the same as the Phelps controversy. Also, this is something that happened back in 03. That was six years ago. He was on the Rangers, and the pressure was probably getting to him. I'm willing to overlook that mistake in his choices and still be a fan. I'm not saying it's the right or only choice, but it is still human to feel pressure. Anyway, how do we know that Ruth, Bonds and Aaron didn't do steroids too? I'm not changing my opinion of him, and he's still a great player to me.

Bonds did use them. In fact, Bonds is in much worse shape as he is under indictment for aggravated perjury for lying about it. Clemens may get there if his name is one of those 104 people on that list.

His problem is going to be the stink that follows this. Now that people know he's used them they're going to be asking is the only time or has he been using them since then and we just don't know about it? Especially since the results of this test was supposed to known only to MLB and the MLBPA under a confidentiality agreement. He can say he didn't, but this is going to make it harder to convince people that he wasn't.

Personally, want more evidence before I believe he has been using them continuously since then or is doing so now. However, he's been suspected and accused of it (Jose Canseco) and for many people it just confirms what every already knew. They're not going to care that it was 2003 and in the court of public opinion the burden's on him now.

Michael Phelps did something stupid, but A-Rod's not just being accused of something dumb, he's accused of cheating in a manner that has tainted baseball for at least a decade.

I don't think it's the same. Marijuana isn't a performance enhancer (if anything it does the opposite) and swimming, up to this point, has not had many of it's records broken by people who are considered cheaters because of the drugs they used.

As much as I've bashed on A-Rod, I'm saddened that this came out.

But somehow I'm not surprised. And the fact that I'm not surprised saddens me just as much.

Same here. I don't like A-Rod, but I don't wish I'll will on him. This is something neither he nor the sport needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users