293 replies to this topic

#41 racerxdsr

racerxdsr

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

I play for fun now. Usually play as a defenseman. Teaching my kid how to skate so we'll see if he likes it. Lots of hockey leagues and pee wee leagues where I live. Expensive to play these days though, at least if my kid get into it. But if he likes it so be it.

#42 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Hockey, Drawing (even though I suck something awful), Photography, Video Games, etc.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:29 PM

Haha, you're telling me. My goalie gear cost over a grand, and I still need some more stuff! XD But I love the sport, so I'll save up.

#43 IntrepidSpacemanSpiff

IntrepidSpacemanSpiff

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:21 AM

Wow, didn't realise there were so many hockey fans on this site.

#44 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Hockey, Drawing (even though I suck something awful), Photography, Video Games, etc.

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:15 AM

Isn't it great though? I thought I was the only one T_T

#45 IntrepidSpacemanSpiff

IntrepidSpacemanSpiff

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:01 AM

No, it's definitely awesome to see the best sport in the world get some more exposure (entirely my opinion, haha)

Been a fan of hockey ever since I started playing it when I was around five, unfortunately due to financial circumstances, I wasn't able to continue longer. Although, in my heart, I've always known I've been able to make it to the NHL tongue.gif

Favourite team is definitely the Vancouver Canucks. I'm from the Greater Vancouver area, and I remember watching as a six year old their majestic '94 run on the backs of Captain Kirk, Trevor and Pavel Bure. It's really sad that a couple inches of metal has been the defining moment in the team's history though.

Anyway, this year's playoff push, especially in the Western Conference, is looking to be an extremely exciting one!

Edited by IntrepidSpacemanSpiff, 15 February 2009 - 03:02 AM.

#46 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:06 AM

The Avalanche have officially moved into the last spot of the Western Conference... ;__________; I think it's time we do a little reorganizing...starting with the GM.

And Spiff, what position did you play?

#47 IntrepidSpacemanSpiff

IntrepidSpacemanSpiff

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:43 AM

Well, I usually played on the wing, either side.

And the Avalanche really need to pick up some goaltending, probably starting in the upcoming draft. The only good up and comers you guys have are Hensick, and then in the minors Cumiskey and Shattenkirk (of course, on top of Stastny, Hejduk, Wolski, Liles and Burnaby Joe). Not to mention Tony Granato may just be one of the worst coaches in the league.

Should probably blow the whole team up the way things are going right now. Tank for Tavares! tongue.gif

Edited by IntrepidSpacemanSpiff, 15 February 2009 - 08:47 AM.

#48 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (IntrepidSpacemanSpiff @ Feb 15 2009, 03:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I usually played on the wing, either side.

And the Avalanche really need to pick up some goaltending, probably starting in the upcoming draft. The only good up and comers you guys have are Hensick, and then in the minors Cumiskey and Shattenkirk (of course, on top of Stastny, Hejduk, Wolski, Liles and Burnaby Joe). Not to mention Tony Granato may just be one of the worst coaches in the league.

Should probably blow the whole team up the way things are going right now. Tank for Tavares! tongue.gif

Don't forget Smyth...he's having himself a pretty good year.

I don't like tanking myself. Feels like giving up, even if its for a sensible purpose. And yeah Granato truly is terrible (I'm glad someone else realizes this...for some reason he's getting credit for things). As for the goalie situation, I'd prefer to get a good number one, let go of Budaj (even though I liked him-great guy) and sign Raycroft for the backup role.

Up and comers, we actually have a few good guys coming up. Cameron Gaunce is having a good year in the OHL, Chris Stewart who just started this year has proven to be a full timer, and even Cody McCleod has been having a pretty good season for a 4th liner! Hensick is great, and T.J. Galiardi has potential too. God I can't wait for Shattenkirk to get here...he's looking to be pretty good as well, along with Colby Cohen. We have a few goaltending prospects too...Like Trevor Cann. If cards are played right and management actually does something effecient...then there could be a pretty bright future. Oh yeah...and Ryan Stoa as well.

Prospects are looking pretty good, IMO (stats)...that being said, I hope we still get some more. >D

I also kinda hope Sakic comes back next season...and I have a feeling he might. If I were him I'd be bummed that I didn't get the most out of my "last" season...and try one more time.

#49 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

I don't know if any of you were watching the MIN-EDM game last night... but in the final 20 seconds... Ethan Moreau got his eye cut by a highstick.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/st...os=topStory_nhl

I felt terrible after watching the game last night and I feel even more terrible after reading about it again today. Moreau is one of the hardest working (and toughest) skaters in the game.

I'm praying that everything works out for him and that he'll be able to play hockey again someday.
Pretty bored.

#50 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Mar 1 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if any of you were watching the MIN-EDM game last night... but in the final 20 seconds... Ethan Moreau got his eye cut by a highstick.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/st...os=topStory_nhl

I felt terrible after watching the game last night and I feel even more terrible after reading about it again today. Moreau is one of the hardest working (and toughest) skaters in the game.

I'm praying that everything works out for him and that he'll be able to play hockey again someday.

Oh man...that's really terrible...just looking at that makes me shiver. My thoughts go out to him, I hope he can play the game again. Its truly horrible when a player gets a potential career ending injury...especially knowing that these guys live and breathe hockey. I can't imagine how he feels. I hope that he might be able to somehow return...

#51 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (Zatren6 @ Mar 1 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh man...that's really terrible...just looking at that makes me shiver. My thoughts go out to him, I hope he can play the game again. Its truly horrible when a player gets a potential career ending injury...especially knowing that these guys live and breathe hockey. I can't imagine how he feels. I hope that he might be able to somehow return...

Just heard that the injury isn't as serious as it looks. It will not require surgery (whew !). Don't know when he'll be back yet though.
Pretty bored.

#52 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

I know this is kind of old... but I find Steve Ott's suspension hilarious. At the end of the ANA-DAL game on Saturday... Giguere headlocks Ott from behind and then Niedermayer, Pronger, and Moen all try to go after Ott. Moen gets into a fight with him and throws some pretty nasty right hands. Mind you, everyone should know that Ott can't fight because he has a cast on his broken right hand. But after taking a few punches to the face Ott decides to try to fight back and so he gets suspended indefinitely?

Ott has been the best player on the Stars by far... this is just stupid.

Youtube - Travis Moen vs Steve Ott Feb 28, 2009
Pretty bored.

#53 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

I find that ridiculous as well. I mean, he was being ganged up on...

It has been told that he recieved a one game suspension, and can play tomorrow. Apparently there was an "eye gouge involved," which is probably why he got the suspension...but really, they're falling down, he's already disoriented from taking many punches, I wouldn't surprised his fist just landed on the wrong part of the face. I don't think its a really fair suspension.

#54 Vic Rattlehead

Vic Rattlehead

Droogie

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Metal, Naruto, NASCAR, Icha Icha

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

all i gotta say is Go Avalanche and Go Penguins!

"The Crow Flies Straight, A Perfect line. On The Devil's Back Until You Die..."

#55 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Vic Rattlehead @ Mar 3 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all i gotta say is Go Avalanche and Go Penguins!

I agree heavily with the former, but I shun the latter! XD

#56 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

Trade deadline in less than 24 hours !!! Coverage in western time starts at 5am !!!

A good number of players have already been put onto waivers... some of the names are pretty surprising.

Backstrom resigned with Minnesota... so no trade for him.

Everyone's reporting that Antropov and Moore won't be in the line-up for Toronto... wonder what's going on there... who're they going to be dealt to?

Avery claimed by the NYR... going to be fun to see how Tortorella and Avery get along.

Wah... I'm excited !
Pretty bored.

#57 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

I'm so psyched for the deadline. It sucks that the Avs gotta be sellers, but hopefully we get the best for our team...Dammit, I wanted to have a shot at Backstrom as an FA in the offseason! Oh well...

#58 Vic Rattlehead

Vic Rattlehead

Droogie

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Metal, Naruto, NASCAR, Icha Icha

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:47 AM

QUOTE (Zatren6 @ Mar 3 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree heavily with the former, but I shun the latter! XD

it's all good. can i assume that you shun the Red Wings as well?

"The Crow Flies Straight, A Perfect line. On The Devil's Back Until You Die..."

#59 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

Ah... what a boring trade deadline day. I think Phoenix did pretty well. Calgary got what they needed and just got that much better for a Stanley Cup hunt.

Guess I shouldn't have skipped my classes today.

I don't know why I get my hopes up every time (as a Edmonton Oilers fan).

Every single time Kevin Lowe and company always give us the same bull.

"We're going to improve our team this season... blah blah blah."

When nothing (or very little) is done: "Oh, we tried our best to go after *insert big names here* but it didn't work out."

Instead, they resign old players who don't really make much impact (giving them millions of dollars in a raise as well !). Just not willing to give anyone/anything up or take any chances. I guess Lowe is fine with the Oilers being a .500 mediocre team that either sucks and misses the playoffs or barely squeezes into that 8th spot by 1 point every single season.

I was hoping things would change when I read last year that they brought in Tambellini to be our GM... that is until I read the fine-print that Lowe just got promoted and still holds final say on all decisions... so all they did was change the names of the positions of GM and Assistant GM... GM is now President and Assistant GM is now just GM.

Then I was hoping again that things would change when Katz became the new owner... nope... still here... still barely a .500 team... still with Kevin Lowe (and as long as he's here... Craig MacTavish is cemented into his position as well...).

Wouldn't surprise me if Tambellini just spent this day catching some extra sleep and Lowe sitting in his chair comfortably sipping his coffee.

It's hard being a Oilers fan. Especially when I look south a bit and see the Flames taking chances every year and every year improving their team and pushing for a Stanley Cup.

EDIT: Seems the Oilers made a deal (don't know what yet)... hopefully... it's something big and not just a acquisition of a 3rd/4th line guy >.>

Edited by Unknown Entity, 04 March 2009 - 08:52 PM.

Pretty bored.

#60 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Vic Rattlehead @ Mar 3 2009, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's all good. can i assume that you shun the Red Wings as well?

I used to be all "BRAH GRAH HATE THE RED WINGS," but not I respect them a lot more. They're a pretty good team, not as good as they were last year though. Their goaltending hasn't been steller.

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Mar 4 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah... what a boring trade deadline day. I think Phoenix did pretty well. Calgary got what they needed and just got that much better for a Stanley Cup hunt.

Guess I shouldn't have skipped my classes today.

I don't know why I get my hopes up every time (as a Edmonton Oilers fan).

Every single time Kevin Lowe and company always give us the same bull.

"We're going to improve our team this season... blah blah blah."

When nothing (or very little) is done: "Oh, we tried our best to go after *insert big names here* but it didn't work out."

Instead, they resign old players who don't really make much impact (giving them millions of dollars in a raise as well !). Just not willing to give anyone/anything up or take any chances. I guess Lowe is fine with the Oilers being a .500 mediocre team that either sucks and misses the playoffs or barely squeezes into that 8th spot by 1 point every single season.

I was hoping things would change when I read last year that they brought in Tambellini to be our GM... that is until I read the fine-print that Lowe just got promoted and still holds final say on all decisions... so all they did was change the names of the positions of GM and Assistant GM... GM is now President and Assistant GM is now just GM.

Then I was hoping again that things would change when Katz became the new owner... nope... still here... still barely a .500 team... still with Kevin Lowe (and as long as he's here... Craig MacTavish is cemented into his position as well...).

Wouldn't surprise me if Tambellini just spent this day catching some extra sleep and Lowe sitting in his chair comfortably sipping his coffee.

It's hard being a Oilers fan. Especially when I look south a bit and see the Flames taking chances every year and every year improving their team and pushing for a Stanley Cup.

I'm incredibly disappointed with the "job" that our GM, Francois Giguere, did today. He's made terrible decisions as GM this year, and I think his performance at this deadline just highlights that he has to go. We got one late draft pick in the second round, one player that was put on waivers, and a prospect (that I unfortunately don't know much about, but I've been told he's one of those "Never make the NHL" types). I know there's potential there, that these players may develop into something...but we only made ONE trade, it was our second best, if not best D-man this season (in my opinion), and I think we got a bit ripped off with it.

The Avalanche have played horribly this year. I love them to death, but they've stunk it up. You CANNOT be this inactive at the trade deadline with this terrible of a team. You can't do it! Granato needs to go. Giguere needs to go. Granato has failed to meet his potential, and Giguere has just been all around bad. The only little glimmer of potential he shows is in the draft (at first his picks didn't look great, but they're actually putting up some decent numbers), but he fails to sign the players necessary for our team, something he showed this past offseason. Tucker? Come on! I'm actually kind of glad he brought Raycroft in, I think he can be a decent backup in the future.

I think the only decent (and good for long term) deals he has made are signing Ryan Smyth, signing Raycroft (again, a decent backup), and resigning necessary players, which even I could do. He failed to get us a number one goaltender and a good number one Dman (what we seem to have are a bunch of potential number 2 Dmen that aren't living up to their potential). Its time for him to go. Hell, if Granato stays this summer, I think I'd actually be fine with it, so long as Giguere is gone.

This deadline day was not a happy one for me. Man, terrible.

(Its 4 o' clock right now, and there's still news coming in...so hopefully, maybe there was a deal made that hasn't been reported yet...Oh, Edmonton just got Patrick O'Sullivan in a deal with the Hurricanes, sending Erik Cole to them.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users