• This topic is locked This topic is locked
167 replies to this topic

#21 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

Lost in Translation. It was so racist toward Japanese- making them look ridiculous and obsessed with perversion. And the white female lead was completely unlikable- so whiny and self-centered. I was like stop moping about your hotel room and going to strip bars and seedy nightclubs and go to see temples, parks, historical sites, see a Kabuki play, etc... and actually learn something about the country's culture. You are supposed to be a college educated woman, act like one, rather than a rich, self absorbed brat. Bill Murray's character was not much more sympathetic- again, self-centered, rich, and racist to boot. The Asian American community protested this movie because of it's racism. This piece of trash actually got nominated for some Oscars.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#22 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

TWILIGHT OF COURSE!!!

#23 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jun 13 2010, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lost in Translation. It was so racist toward Japanese- making them look ridiculous and obsessed with perversion. And the white female lead was completely unlikable- so whiny and self-centered. I was like stop moping about your hotel room and going to strip bars and seedy nightclubs and go to see temples, parks, historical sites, see a Kabuki play, etc... and actually learn something about the country's culture. You are supposed to be a college educated woman, act like one, rather than a rich, self absorbed brat. Bill Murray's character was not much more sympathetic- again, self-centered, rich, and racist to boot. The Asian American community protested this movie because of it's racism. This piece of trash actually got nominated for some Oscars.

Wow, that sounds really bad.

#24 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jun 12 2010, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 words: Percy Jackson.

Now come on. Sure, it utterly raped the books, and yeah, it was hardly blockbuster material, but is it REALLY so bad a movie it tops things like Waterworld, your average Ed Wood movie, either of the live-action Dragonball movies (either the really cheesy wire-fu movie done decades ago or the recent one), most video game movies, etc.?

It wasn't THAT bad, surely....

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#25 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jun 13 2010, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now come on. Sure, it utterly raped the books, and yeah, it was hardly blockbuster material, but is it REALLY so bad a movie it tops things like Waterworld, your average Ed Wood movie, either of the live-action Dragonball movies (either the really cheesy wire-fu movie done decades ago or the recent one), most video game movies, etc.?

The thing is sure, Dragonball Evo was bad. Sure Super Mario Bros was bad. Sure Waterworld, the Chun-Li movie was bad. But the thing is they were bad and had the decency to fade away into obscurity. But Twilight 3 is coming this Nov. And I say where's the justice in that?

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#26 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

That reminds me... DragonBall: Evolution, I think that was it... Completely and utterly horrid in everyway, nothing like the Manga [At the bottom of the description it said "Based of the Manga by Akira Toriyama" am like "WHAT?!" after 10 minutes I got sick of it =)

#27 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ Jun 13 2010, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is sure, Dragonball Evo was bad. Sure Super Mario Bros was bad. Sure Waterworld, the Chun-Li movie was bad. But the thing is they were bad and had the decency to fade away into obscurity. But Twilight 3 is coming this Nov. And I say where's the justice in that?

I would agree with that, except I don't feel like I can justifiably talk about movies I haven't seen (Twilight included). I was just protesting the inclusion of Percy Jackson in this list -- yeah, it stunk compared to what it could\should have been, but it hardly belongs on a list of worst movies ever.

The movie that disappointed me the most, quality-wise (as in, I was expecting it to be a fun movie and it turned out to be horrible beyond any of my expectations) was Mistery Men. I'm not sure I would put that on a list of the Worst Movies Ever, either, though... not when comparing it to some of the dreck I've seen in my movie-watching days. And I'd rate Percy Jackson far better than MM, too.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#28 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:36 PM

Evil Weed, So bad it's kind of funny

JLHza2T.png

#29 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:12 AM

Let's see anymore bad movies I've seen, hmm, how about any movies from Uwe Boll, that man can't direct a movie to save his life! rawr.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#30 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jun 14 2010, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What if I add this: I'm a Greek myth lover. Yes, that movie was pretty much crap for me. The only movie that tops it that I ever know is Twilight and thats saying something. For details: http://www.narusaku....s...st&p=272147

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#31 sardns

sardns

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:51 AM

Quest For Camelot was also pretty bad. I tried watching it on youtube one day, but it was just so dumb that I didn't finish watching it. Plus there was a song every five seconds.

#32 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (sardns @ Jun 14 2010, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quest For Camelot was also pretty bad. I tried watching it on youtube one day, but it was just so dumb that I didn't finish watching it. Plus there was a song every five seconds.

at least some of the songs are enjoyable

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

#33 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jun 13 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What if I add this: I'm a Greek myth lover. Yes, that movie was pretty much crap for me. The only movie that tops it that I ever know is Twilight and thats saying something. For details: http://www.narusaku....s...st&p=272147

All of the mythological problems you mention are problems which come from (and, in at least one case, are addressed by) the novels -- for example, Annabeth (and Athena's other children) was born from Athena's head, as Athena was born from Zeus' head, despite having a human father (and no, the father of Annabeth never had sex with Athena), so Athena is still the eternal virgin. Also, Rick Riorden (the author of the books) went with the story about Posieden sleeping with one of Athena's temple virgins (specifically, Medusa, while her sisters stood watch, resulting in Athena turning them into the gorgons) being the instigating factor of Athena and Posieden's conflict instead of the well water story. In the books, Percy works with fresh water, rivers, etc. all the time.

There are lots of things to blame the movie for -- much of which comes from not staying true to the novels and really cheapening out on some of the sets and props -- but almost all of the points you complain about in that come from the books, not the movie itself. It's kind of like complaining about the Chronicles of Narnia movie because it was a Christian Allegory -- that might be true, but it isn't the movie's fault, it's the source material's fault.

-Tonbo

#34 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jun 13 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh! I was trying to remember the name of that movie. I HATE it. The worse movie I have EVER seen in my life!

#35 sardns

sardns

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jun 13 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at least some of the songs are enjoyable

Yes, it's a sad thing though when the songs in the movie are more popular than the actual movie *coughThePrayercough*.

Edited by sardns, 14 June 2010 - 05:15 AM.

#36 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:31 AM

Battlefield Earth or Jaws: 2, 3D or The Revenge

#37 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jun 14 2010, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All of the mythological problems you mention are problems which come from (and, in at least one case, are addressed by) the novels -- for example, Annabeth (and Athena's other children) was born from Athena's head, as Athena was born from Zeus' head, despite having a human father (and no, the father of Annabeth never had sex with Athena), so Athena is still the eternal virgin. Also, Rick Riorden (the author of the books) went with the story about Posieden sleeping with one of Athena's temple virgins (specifically, Medusa, while her sisters stood watch, resulting in Athena turning them into the gorgons) being the instigating factor of Athena and Posieden's conflict instead of the well water story. In the books, Percy works with fresh water, rivers, etc. all the time.

There are lots of things to blame the movie for -- much of which comes from not staying true to the novels and really cheapening out on some of the sets and props -- but almost all of the points you complain about in that come from the books, not the movie itself. It's kind of like complaining about the Chronicles of Narnia movie because it was a Christian Allegory -- that might be true, but it isn't the movie's fault, it's the source material's fault.

*Shrugs* People got their opinions, I just happen one of those who prefer stories that stick with the original myth. I do admit that I don't read the novel though so pardon me if I got lots of blank from watching the movies but either way, there's just too many things that goes very far from the myth which is the main reason of my review. I will stand my ground that the author should have done more research about Greek mythology which is the basis of the story before writing the novel.

#38 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jun 14 2010, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Shrugs* People got their opinions, I just happen one of those who prefer stories that stick with the original myth. I do admit that I don't read the novel though so pardon me if I got lots of blank from watching the movies but either way, there's just too many things that goes very far from the myth which is the main reason of my review. I will stand my ground that the author should have done more research about Greek mythology which is the basis of the story before writing the novel.

As a history buff who criticizes almost every movie set in a historical setting, I understand, believe me -- you should have heard some of the rants I had about 300 (a movie based on a comic book based on a myth based on an actual historical event! Whee!), and I think somewhere around these forums (in a review of the trailers for the recent Robin Hood movie) is a rant I had about the King Arthur movie (Wait, they're trying to claim this is based on a possible historical interpretation of King Arthur, and they have BLOODY KNOWN-TO-HAVE-BEEN-INSERTED-INTO-THE-LEGEND-AS-OCCUPATION-ERA-NORMAN-PROPOGANDA LANCELOT IN THE MOVIE? ARE YOU kittening KIDDING ME!?)

I still think slamming a mid-card movie as the worst movie ever because it is not matching up exactly with the Greek Myths when it's based on a series of books which is Greek Myth Form Harry Potter is as ridiculous as slamming Harry Potter for not properly taking into account Wiccan beliefs on magic. Or to slam the Smurfs for not recognizing that there is no way a mushroom could grow large enough to house a creature three apples high (which would be about 7-9 inches) and have that much roof clearance. Or to slam Naruto because the tailed beasts in the series don't match the tailed beasts of the myths that the Kyuubi no Kitsune is based on. If you're complaining about the lack of accuracy with the myths, you're taking it too seriously. (You'd be better off trying to dissect the poor mythological portrayals of Greek myths from Clash of the Titans)

I'd get it if the complaints were about how they were having obvious college-age (at least) actors portraying high-school age kids who are SUPPOSED to be 12 years old at the start of the series (based on the books) would be a more valid criticism. Or the vast contraction of characters (Ares had a major role, for example, that was partially ignored and partially given to Luke; most of the named campers are missing with a bunch of nameless extras in their place (its as if the Harry Potter movie was made, and the only Slytherin to appear on camera is Draco Malfoy, who was also taking the role of everyone else on Voldemort's side but Voldemort himself, and Voldemort wasn't ever mentioned)). Or that most of the things which gave the world 'life' are missing (all of the details about Camp Half-Blood, which was actually very important in the story -- to continue the Harry Potter parallel, it's like Hogwarts was a giant field with a campfire and the only building was Harry's bedroom). Geez, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to defend this movie...

It's just that I think labelling this as one of the 'worst movies' lets a lot of really bad movies off the hook. This movie sucked, but I've seen a LOT worse. And heard of more that I don't even need to see to know are worse. (I was going to mention one in particular, here, but it occured to me it was a bit too graphic of a movie to mention -- it's a red-band trailer NC-17 rated horror movie -- but let's just say that the only way the writer\director got away with making this movie was (and this is documented) by lying and\or withholding vital information from his actors\actresses and the people funding it)

-Tonbo

#39 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

Maximum Overdrive.

What the **** Stephen King, seriously? I swear, I sat through the entire movie in a freaking daze. Every three minutes there was a logic fallacy or something that made no goddamn sense whatsoever. Keep in mind, I'm a pretty forgiving guy and can find enjoyment in a lot of things others can't for some reason. But I just did not understand what the hell I was watching.

You want to talk about a ridiculous ****ing movie, this one takes the cake. Here's the basic plot summary. A meteor passes close to earth, emitting some strange kind of radiation. This radiation causes trucks, vehicles and small appliances to go haywire, gaining sentience and murdering humans. A group of humans are imprisoned at a truck stop, forced to refuel all passing trucks or be killed. They're also all damn near killed by a sentient eighteen wheeler with a goddamn goblin head on the front, like it was some kind of circus attraction. At the end, it's heavily implied the whole thing was a plan by aliens as a preliminary invasion. A UFO was destroyed by a russian sattilite carrying nuclear explosives. Yes, really.

Did that make any sense to you? Me neither. If you put even the slightest amount of thought even into the basic premise, the entire movie falls apart.

The only good part is the soundtrack, which is by AC/DC, but bloody hell, you can go out and BUY that.

Spider-Man 2

Not sure if I'd call it the worst so much as I feel it's the most over-rated film of all; I honestly do not know why it's as popular as it is. I swear I had more enjoyment watching the Rifftrax of it. It was basically 90's Spidey on the silver screen in regards to how bad it was; and, well, marriage era Spidey was so damn bad that bringing in Mephisto to erase the damn thing was seen as a preferable alternative to it going on any longer. The only Spider-Man film I actually enjoyed was the first one, which was in spite of it's flaws.

Oh Spider-Man 2, let me count the ways:

- The most wooden acted sequel I think I've ever seen. Granted, Tobey McGuire and Kirsten Dunst weren't exactly right for their respective roles right from the get-go, but at least it felt like they tried in the first film. The two seemed damn bored in this film and it translated into a few yawns of my own.
- WHY THE **** WAS SPIDEY'S MASK OFF IN THE TRAIN? WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE? WHAT DID IT DO FOR THE FILM? RAEGFAEC.
- OMG THE CAMPINESS I CAN'T TAKE IT.
- I swear the film has to have had one of the dullest film romances this side of Twilight.
- Honestly, the film, or the trilogy in general really, didn't seem to have a real clue who Peter was. Sure, it paid lip service to classic moments in the comics, but did the character really feel like Peter Parker? Didn't to me. But hell, I just read the comics, what do I know.
- What is with the damn pro-American imagery? It wasn't too bad in the first film, but after that it just got ridiculous. I mean, patriotism is fine and all, but how often did the damn character pose in front of flags? News Flash Raimi, he's not an American Icon. Though I can see why you might want to do that; I mean, it's not like Marvel has a patriotic American icon of a super hero for all that sort of thing, right? RIGHT?

Oh.

... Dammit Raimi.

The good part about the movie? Doc Ock. Now that was one part of the film I loved. Alfred Monila pretty much stole the damn show, to the point where I was so glad to see him throw a car through that restaurant, breaking up the dramatic tension.

I won't get into 3. I fooled myself into believing that film was any good for so long. I'd prefer not to have an aneurysm from rage.

Batman & Robin.

OH MY GOD. AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! EWW! EWW! KILL IT! KILL IT!

Do... do I even need to explain? Please don't make me explain. I don't think I can make it through the ice puns and the Bat Credit Card and the Bat Nippl-

AHHHH! NOOOO! IT'S IN MY HEAD GET IT OUT! DAMMIT SHUMAECHER!

Please don't make me go on. ;_____;

Edited by dl316bh, 14 June 2010 - 08:38 AM.

bd5.jpg

#40 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

I watched the Clash of Titans. FAILURE!!! TOP 4 worst movies (for me):
1. Twilight
2.New Moon
3. Clash of titans
4. Journey to Kithira (a Greek one, it sucks for real)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users