#1 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:04 AM

I bet you know what this topic is about already, right? Just in case you don't...

Michael Brown was shot unlawfully 8-10 times (reportedly) by St. Louis police Saturday. He was an unarmed 17-18 black male who did nothing to attract suspicion, despite info that was released to the public. His body was left in the street for four hours. The cop who murdered him (whose account of the whole thing is the only one different from the other eyewitness accounts) was on administrative leave and had his name left anonymous for his "safety". The police refuse to interview a key eyewitness, Dorian Johnson, trusting the word of the cop. Basically, the police have stayed silent on the whole thing.

The situation has since escalated. Around 100 or so people, most of them black, held a non-violent protest at the police station. The police retaliated with tanks, K9s, heavy artillery, etc. People exercising their rights are getting injured by the police. The scene is reminiscent of the civil rights protests in the 60s. The media has been banned from Ferguson, including a no-fly zone, to provide a safe environment for law enforcement activities. Cops are preventing people entering and exiting the town.

Michael Brown http://www.washingto...er-in-missouri/

picture of Michael Brown's body [deleted to respect the wishes of the victims mother]

eyewitness accounts of the murder http://www.msnbc.com...ooting-missouri

https://www.youtube....h?v=tfy5FiqzWHI

http://newsone.com/3...ill-the-police/

http://abcnews.go.co...ri-man-24923007

murderers name not being released http://fox2now.com/2...brown-shooting/

police silence http://time.com/3104...oting-protests/

protests http://www.cnn.com/2...ting/index.html

media ban http://libertyunyiel...or-face-arrest/

no fly zone http://tfr.faa.gov/s...ail_4_2599.html

But we live in post-racial America, right?

EDIT: One thing you can do to help is sign this petition to enact a federal law to end police brutality https://t.co/KpxlLURrvJ

Edited by KonaKonaFan, 14 August 2014 - 08:51 AM.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#2 Branden

Branden

The man who's going to save the world.

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

All hail the police state.

Romance_Dawn_Arc.png

"This hat means a lot to me. Promise me you'll give it back someday...

when you've become a great pirate." -Shanks

#3 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Black people started this out as a non-violent demonstration, then police made it into a riot. They began arresting protestors, threatening them with guns, and throwing teargas at them. Teargas! Even at their homes and yards! What the hell is wrong with them??

Maybe black people had enough. I don't know, I'm just glad they're fighting back. They're giving police a hard time, I just hope it'll have an effect. I signed the petition too, and I don't know much about American politics, but I heard it'd be more effective to give it to congress. Still, worth a try.

Also, for us white potatoes out there, we've got to understand that; i think it’s important that myself and other white ppl remember that we can not even begin to truly understand the pain and trauma of what is happening in ferguson, nor can we grasp the anger and sadness black communities experience due to this situation. all we can do is stand in solidarity, listen, and not derail or take the focus away from the true face of racism and white supremacy.

And look at this

Edited by sushi., 15 August 2014 - 07:27 PM.

ナルサク

#4 ns.Believe.It

ns.Believe.It

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Long walks, Driving.
    Arsenal FC.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Umm.. are we allowed to have discussions about such sensitive topics in this website?

tumblr_mzzew0nSyr1t3jjq1o1_500.gif

'No matter what I do, I guess Happiness is a feeling that I'll never experience'

#5 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

Yes, but they have short leashes because they tend to blow up rather quickly.

#6 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Umm.. are we allowed to have discussions about such sensitive topics in this website?

I don't think there is anything to disagree about or defend here. :wot: Please, don't try. No excuses.

ナルサク

#7 ns.Believe.It

ns.Believe.It

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:Coding, Long walks, Driving.
    Arsenal FC.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

I don't think there is anything to disagree about or defend here. :wot: Please, don't try. No excuses.

I did not disagree and neither did I try to defend anything  :confused: I just said the topic is sensitive. 

tumblr_mzzew0nSyr1t3jjq1o1_500.gif

'No matter what I do, I guess Happiness is a feeling that I'll never experience'

#8 luffyq1

luffyq1

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

Police brutality is disgusting, especially if it results in killing. But the police will get away yet again.

Untitled_zpsbc671263.png

#9 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Police brutality is disgusting, especially if it results in killing. But the police will get away yet again.

They always do, this whole thing is terrible.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#10 Sedna

Sedna

Nostalgic

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Birds.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Damn, and to think this happens alot where I live.

#11 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

The whole situation is bad enough, what's more disturbing to me is the treatment of the press, though.

As a journalist, the arresting of reporters and firing tear gas at tv news crews is so out of bounds. I was shocked when I saw that was taking place.

An article from the USA Today shows that the Governor of Missouri plans to remove the cops from the investigation, which may help calm the situation.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#12 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

Damn, and to think this happens alot where I live.

wat huh? In Japan? I'm surprised, I know it isn't very multicultural.

ナルサク

#13 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

For some reason, it looks like the city is still living in the 1960s. *shakes head* And here I thought segregation was gone in the US but its still here.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#14 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

I made this mostly to spread important information. Not sure what there is to discuss.

#15 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:58 AM

What a difference a day makes. Watching live feeds from the different news outlets, the situation is like a complete 180.

This seems to have taken place after the Missouri Highway Patrol took over the situation by order of the governor.

The whole thing is far from over, but wow, it's so much calmer now. Here's an article from NPR that details some of the calmer protests.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#16 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

What a difference a day makes. Watching live feeds from the different news outlets, the situation is like a complete 180.

This seems to have taken place after the Missouri Highway Patrol took over the situation by order of the governor.

The whole thing is far from over, but wow, it's so much calmer now. Here's an article from NPR that details some of the calmer protests.

It's good that it's calmer now, but, like you said, until the people at fault are punished, the situation is not over.

#17 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Oh the injustice! Some free 'stuff' will help ease my pain.... In what way do these actions honor the memory of this young man?

I agree. My pain about Mr. Brown's death would be greatly lessened by the addition of the following to my household:
1. 54" LCD TV
2. 4 cases of Coke
3. 8 large packs of Huggies
4. A case of Coors.
5. Six large bags of Cheetos

Thank you all, for your contributions to US Civil Rights.

About Looting on protests.

Edited by Dαrkrєrsŧ, 15 August 2014 - 11:26 AM.

SK-303_image007.jpg

#18 luffyq1

luffyq1

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

Oh the injustice! Some free 'stuff' will help ease my pain.... In what way do these actions honor the memory of this young man?

I agree. My pain about Mr. Brown's death would be greatly lessened by the addition of the following to my household:
1. 54" LCD TV
2. 4 cases of Coke
3. 8 large packs of Huggies
4. A case of Coors.
5. Six large bags of Cheetos

Thank you all, for your contributions to US Civil Rights.

About Looting on protests.

The looting was definitely wrong.

Edit: they just identified the shooter and his name is Darren Wilson.

Edited by luffyq1, 15 August 2014 - 02:29 PM.

Untitled_zpsbc671263.png

#19 Jake

Jake

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

More news has been released about the incident (or what lead to the incident at least) apparently Michel Brown was a suspect for a strong arm robbery where a store clerk was beat up by the perpetrator, also it is believed that the eye witness Dorian Johnson was and accomplice to the robbery

"Brown hands a box of Swisher Sweets to Johnson. An apparent struggle or confrontation seems to take place with Brown, however it is obscured by a display case on the counter. Meanwhile, Johnson sets the box he was handed back on the counter. Brown turns away from the counter with another box of Swisher Sweet cigars and walks toward the exit door."

I did not want to comment about this before now because I didn't know much about what was going on and I wanted more information to come out to avoid jumping to conclusions, there is still no information about the actual shooting but with the only witness now suspected of being and accomplice to the robbery it does lend more credibility towards officer Wilson's report.

EDIT: Swisher Sweets is a brand of Cigars if you were wondering.

Edited by Jake, 15 August 2014 - 04:44 PM.

HampESig_zpsfc7d2080.jpg

#20 luffyq1

luffyq1

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

More news has been released about the incident (or what lead to the incident at least) apparently Michel Brown was a suspect for a strong arm robbery where a store clerk was beat up by the perpetrator, also it is believed that the eye witness Dorian Johnson was and accomplice to the robbery

I did not want to comment about this before now because I didn't know much about what was going on and I wanted more information to come out to avoid jumping to conclusions, there is still no information about the actual shooting but with the only witness now suspected of being and accomplice to the robbery it does lend more credibility towards officer Wilson's report.

EDIT: Swisher Sweets is a brand of Cigars if you were wondering.

Two sides to every story.

Untitled_zpsbc671263.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users