174 replies to this topic

#141 starlitestarbrite

starlitestarbrite

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

1-i hate how some authors' start a good story, and abandon it...I was reading one fanfics, and in the  2nd chapter the author says they forgot where they were going with the story, and were going to just start over, and had another one up. why not just take that one down, tweak/reedit it, and reupload explaining you had to change the story OR brainstorm, and save what you plan to do with your story. before hand.

2-i hate how authors abandon a story due to low ratings. dude/dudette your fanfics isn't on TV. why does it need certain amount of ratings/reviews? I understand some people need encouragement, and liked to be told they are a good writer but what if readers are so lost in your story they forget to review?, wouldn't that count? but, you'll never know that because this is the internet, aaand you cut your story short due to not getting reviews/ratings lol

3-i hate how the filter works sometimes. why not just have exclude crossovers within the filters to. plus I like the communities but I wish they had like an archive where you can find certain kinds based on key words. like time travel, and you'll see all the time travel based naruto fics' .

Edited by starlitestarbrite, 25 June 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#142 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, I get that. I've found some awesome fics, only to see they haven't been updated in forever. One was 40 chapters long and totally awesome, but then I found out it's not even remotely finished.

Still, as someone who wrote a multi-chapter fanfiction several years ago that I never updated and probably never will again, I can understand why it happens. I did leave a notice about it, though, and offered the fic up for adoption. All this time there have been no takers.

If a fic idea looks long or the story starts exceeding about the 40K word mark and is still incomplete, I usually avoid it until completion.

Part of that is because of how I read fanfiction, but the other part is to avoid this very problem.

I can't get mad at authors over this though. Writing is long and time consume, and for many the commitment gets too much of they lose interest. It's hard to complete a story you no longer care about.

#143 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

I hate how it's harder to find stories, you really liked.

And the character filters.. I want Naruto and Sakura, and end up getting SasuSaku/NaruHina almost every time. 

I hate it when reviewers force the author to change things about their fanfic, that are okay.

I hate it when authors let the reviewers opinions affect their story, drastically.

I hate OOC-ness so much. Unless it's cute - which it rarely is.

Edited by Iwantbuns, 26 June 2014 - 12:10 AM.

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#144 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:30 AM

I hate how it's harder to find stories, you really liked.

And the character filters.. I want Naruto and Sakura, and end up getting SasuSaku/NaruHina almost every time. 

I hate it when reviewers force the author to change things about their fanfic, that are okay.

I hate it when authors let the reviewers opinions affect their story, drastically.

I hate OOC-ness so much. Unless it's cute - which it rarely is.

You can help limit SS and NH results by selecting Hinata and Sasuke in the Without filters. That's what I do.

#145 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

You can help limit SS and NH results by selecting Hinata and Sasuke in the Without filters. That's what I do.

Oh... wow that's actually very helpful!

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#146 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:30 AM

The playing straight of comedic stereotypes. I don't always hate this but most of the time its just a spring board to trash a disfavored characters. The Tsundere is a popular target of this, but it isn't limited to them.

#147 HuntTheWill

HuntTheWill

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

1-i hate how some authors' start a good story, and abandon it...I was reading one fanfics, and in the  2nd chapter the author says they forgot where they were going with the story, and were going to just start over, and had another one up. why not just take that one down, tweak/reedit it, and reupload explaining you had to change the story OR brainstorm, and save what you plan to do with your story. before hand.

It sounds like it was for the best; the rest of the story doesn't sound too memorable.   

#148 Heaven and Earth

Heaven and Earth

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Story telling is my interest. I love all manner of sharing information, themes, history and fiction. Have a story to tell or share?

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

It really bothers me when a cliche' situation occurs. (How many times will Naruto kiss Sakura with no development and only because he fell three inches from her face?)

T6MUlTA.png

"When Heaven and Earth are opened together

The path of righteousness will never leave your grasp forever." 

#149 Win-chan

Win-chan

Eternal NaruSaku Warrior

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Music, Piano, Violin, Composing, Writing, Reading, Enneagram, Psychology, Ancient History

Favorite anime/manga: Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note

Favorite TV shows: Supernatural and Sherlock

Favorite ships: NARUSAKU!, MinaKushi, ShikaTema, IchiRuki, MustangxHawkeye, SayaxHaji

Favorite Naruto characters (in no particular order): Naruto, Kakashi, Yamato, Shikamaru, Sakura, Minato, Deidara, Gaara

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

My biggest pet peeve ever: 

When people refer to Naruto as "the blonde ninja" or Sakura as "the pink haired kunoichi." 

Nothing, not even huge text walls, crappy writing, OOCness, or lack of punctuation ticks me off more than this. I know it's random, but it just bugs the crap out of me! I'm not sure what people are thinking. Do they think we need to describe how our characters look? Because honestly, you don't because we've seen the dang show and so we already know how Naruto looks. Even if you did want to describe them, you should NEVER use "the dark hair man" in place of a name when you already know their name. The only time that's okay is if you don't want to reveal who the character is yet, and so the narrator just has to let you know who it is through appearance. Or are the writers trying to be creative...? Are they trying to shake up their writing by using different words, er what? 

But, crappy writing really bugs me. Something else that bothers me is when people don't understand that when writing dialogue, the majority of the time you need to end the dialogue in a comma, like so.

"You're so annoying," he said. 

NOT

"You're so annoying." He said. 

You're so annoying that you do that! Ugh, bugs me. I also hate really canned dialogue. *shudders* Or... gosh, I could go on. I sound like such a hater, but I'm not really. I usually don't read fanfiction, because a lot of it isn't very high quality. The ones that I HAVE read though, are awesome!  :thumb:

SHINACHIKU

tumblr_inline_ngnhtp3KQk1sy20ab.jpg

The strong-willed, intelligent and powerful yet loving, tender, and sensitive heartthrob of Konoha.

#150 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

Something else that bothers me is when people don't understand that when writing dialogue, the majority of the time you need to end the dialogue in a comma, like so.

NOT

This is why everyone should have their work read by someone else before it is published, hopefully someone who understands the basics in GSP of the language in which it is written.  It's difficult to understand what's wrong and improve if you never open yourself up to correction.   :ermm:

The ones that I HAVE read though, are awesome!   :thumb:

Have you left a review to tell the authors?  That's the best way to reward and encourage good writing.

Just curious.

#151 Win-chan

Win-chan

Eternal NaruSaku Warrior

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Music, Piano, Violin, Composing, Writing, Reading, Enneagram, Psychology, Ancient History

Favorite anime/manga: Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note

Favorite TV shows: Supernatural and Sherlock

Favorite ships: NARUSAKU!, MinaKushi, ShikaTema, IchiRuki, MustangxHawkeye, SayaxHaji

Favorite Naruto characters (in no particular order): Naruto, Kakashi, Yamato, Shikamaru, Sakura, Minato, Deidara, Gaara

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

I agree, everyone needs an editor. Even the best writer in the world needs an editor! It's hard to emotionally separate yourself enough from your work to be able to see the flaws in your writing, whether it be plot, poor characterization, confusing writing, etc.

Annoying story: so my sister is in part of this group that's animating an American TV show that's going to be aired online, and big wig actors like Vic Mignogna are going to be producing and voice acting for it. At one of the meetings, my sister was given the script to read and started making notes in the margins, and someone asked her, "What are you doing??" And she's just like, "Um... Editing it. Isn't that what you want me to do?" And they're all, "No, we don't need anyone editing our work. We have ENGLISH majors writing the script and so we don't need anyone to edit." Now that is just ridiculous. This isn't even just a fanfic, it's a TV show they're paying money to make, and they refuse to let anyone edit it! If somebody refuses to have anyone edit their work, that's probably a big sign they NEED an editor :P

As for your second question, KnS, the few fanfics that I've loved I have left reviews for, though to be honest by the time I read the story and left a review most of them were inactive :P I use fanfiction.net, but I won't lie, it really confuses me! When I post something, I have no idea how the heck anyone even finds it because I can't even find specific fanfics I'm looking for! Haha.

SHINACHIKU

tumblr_inline_ngnhtp3KQk1sy20ab.jpg

The strong-willed, intelligent and powerful yet loving, tender, and sensitive heartthrob of Konoha.

#152 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:41 AM

When writers leave their story.

There are exceptions ofc. :hm: Konohakitten is a busy mom and swagosaurus is diagnosed with depression. At least they're updating us on how they're doing. :yes:

To be exact, my pet peeve is when authors suddenly decide to discontinue the story without a single word to the readers.

I've done this to my fics because, frankly, I'm too busy to bother with yet another fanfic. I want to move on to actual writing instead of mediocre rubbish barely viewed by anyone. Here's my profile:

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1049958/

And here's my best fic, by far. Not completed by any means; has OC's and it's D.Gray-man, but it's my most recent work (it's pretty much rated G or PG, never got around to anything naughty).

https://www.fanficti...-and-Time-s-End

RIP IT APART

#153 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

When people refer to Naruto as "the blonde ninja" or Sakura as "the pink haired kunoichi." 

Nothing, not even huge text walls, crappy writing, OOCness, or lack of punctuation ticks me off more than this. I know it's random, but it just bugs the crap out of me! I'm not sure what people are thinking. Do they think we need to describe how our characters look? Because honestly, you don't because we've seen the dang show and so we already know how Naruto looks. Even if you did want to describe them, you should NEVER use "the dark hair man" in place of a name when you already know their name. The only time that's okay is if you don't want to reveal who the character is yet, and so the narrator just has to let you know who it is through appearance. Or are the writers trying to be creative...? Are they trying to shake up their writing by using different words, er what? 

But, crappy writing really bugs me. Something else that bothers me is when people don't understand that when writing dialogue, the majority of the time you need to end the dialogue in a comma, like so.

NOT

You're so annoying that you do that! Ugh, bugs me. I also hate really canned dialogue. *shudders* Or... gosh, I could go on. I sound like such a hater, but I'm not really. I usually don't read fanfiction, because a lot of it isn't very high quality. The ones that I HAVE read though, are awesome!  :thumb:

Some writers are not native speakers and they probably hazard themselves with this mistake.

I've seen it happening a lot and I've been subject to this grammatical error as well. If it happens one or two times, it's probably okay, he/she doesn't have time to self-beta the story. But if that happens with a native speaker, i.e American or British... they have got a problem. 

Most writers on fanfiction are under age (like I am, even though age doesn't reflect your intelligence) and their grammar is pretty much... around middle-school level. They ignore feedback and/or constructive criticism altogether, being stuck on their ideology. 

One more problem that I'd like to address is the huge, long wall of paragraphs with sentences and phrases put together. This means that you are taking the easy way out in terms of story writing. Not to say that the majority of the phrases they write are around college level yet tenses are incorrectly used or fail commas placement.

For every writer out here; it's better to have one good, readable and understandable thousand words than having five bad, grammar-lacking and platonic, everyday used thousand words in a chapter, don't you agree?

Edited by TeeBee, 30 August 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#154 redrose3443

redrose3443

Minato's kidnapper >:D

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, Music, chocolate, and Fanfiction.

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

when a canon character, who has a different background than in the original story, acts repulsed by an OC, who is acting like they did in the manga.

Ex. Sakura calling Sasuke fangirls pathetic. Or if Naruto were to be annoyed by an OC being loud and fawning over a girl, who shows no romantic interest in him.

When people write like this, it makes me think that they are just using the canon characters as self inserts, because they're making the characters mock their canon behavior and insult the OC for being that way. If the writer were to make Sakura call herself stupid for acting like a fangirl and realize there are more important things, then it's not as bad. Or if they make Naruto sympathize with the guy, because he once went through the same thing.( assuming the ones writing the stories are NH/ SS fans and not NS.)

minato_by_kyutenzuken-d7bt4gj.gif

He's mine, don't touch.

#155 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:40 PM

'The pinkette' 'the blonde'..so tired of those, really bad nouns. Just use the names or the pronouns.

- Writers who edit the characters for personal preferences. Sometimes I write fics in my head, but I know the characters wouldn't do that and it'd just be silly, and I'm just using a character for a self-insert complex. Yet once in a while I bump into fics that is obvious this came right out of a person's head, with no editing or questions is this ooc or not.

- Affair fics. 90% of them. Of all I've read I like two of them.

- Japanese insert words. Especially in wrong context. People don't say aikitteneru when they kiss eachother good night, and instead of writing 'gomen', just use the english word.

Edited by Nate River, 23 August 2015 - 01:32 PM.
Removal of explicit material~Nate River

ナルサク

#156 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:59 PM

Getting a notification that a story has updated only for it to be a long author's note saying "Sorry not a real chapter!!!"

#157 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:40 AM

"Good morning, Sakura", said Naruto.

"Good morning Naruto", said Sakura.

How are you doing today?", said Naruto.

"I'm doing great!", said Sakura.

"Did you sleep well?" said Naruto.

"I slept great!", said Sakura.

"Me too!", said Naruto.

"Kakashi wants to meet us at Ichiraku's ramen", said Sakura.

"Great!", said Naruto.

"Lets go!", said Sakura.

"Okay!", said Naruto.

Posted Image

Behold! Akame ga Kill's True Canon Pairing!

#158 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:48 AM

Hahaha. I think "the blond ninja" is a bit too blunt and simple. The "blonde haired leaf ninja" sounds better. As for the second one, guilty as charged, but there are only so many ways you can describe Sakura without it becoming pretty obvious that you're going out of your way to avoid saying "Sakura" over and over again. :lmao:

Posted Image

Behold! Akame ga Kill's True Canon Pairing!

#159 milan kyuubi

milan kyuubi

YATO

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts
  • Interests:Nothing.....somthing.....dunno.......

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:23 AM

At the top of my head. Kyuubi (Kurama) calling Naruto "kit". Like whats up with that?

Yp330yZ.gif

#160 Anthony

Anthony

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

At the top of my head. Kyuubi (Kurama) calling Naruto "kit". Like whats up with that?

kit is a fox cub as far as I know or that's how peeps write it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users