• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Terrace

Terrace

Ghostbuster

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Ghostbusters, Naruto, and video games.

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:09 AM

What's the one thing everyone likes about Super Robot anime? Is it the amazing, never-give-up characters? Is it the awesome machines? I say it's the Crowning Moments of Awesome. Like this one, from GaoGaiGar FINAL, episode 6:

What's YOUR favorite moments? Post the Youtube video depicting it if you can find it!

Edited by Terrace, 19 May 2010 - 03:11 AM.

NaruSaku supporter and Ghostbusters fanatic!

QUOTE (Yoshimoto Trigen @ Jan 7 2008, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know there is a bigger chance of me farting lightning then a Harem coupling happening.

If you have attempted a jutsu by performing hand seals or using scrolls, copy and paste this into your signature.

Click Here!

#2 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:53 AM

skip to about 3:30 for transforming

JLHza2T.png

#3 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:13 AM

Probably choose over a hundred scenes from Evangelion alone. This is one of the reasons Asuka is my favorite female character in all of anime.

One of the best anime from the Toonami spot. Like Bruce Wayne piloting a robot.

Kouji Kabuto, one of the many Kings of Hot Blood leads.

*spoilers in all videos

#4 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (True @ May 18 2010, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the best anime from the Toonami spot. Like Bruce Wayne piloting a robot.

lol That's exactly what I thought tongue.gif

JLHza2T.png

#5 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:54 AM

It's a great series. I should download it again.

Also, can't forget about The King of Hearts.

and...

Nothing beats the Power of Love.

#6 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:10 AM

Not a big mecha fan (which is funny, because I find the concept of power armor in most non-anime\manga science fiction very intriguing and one of the more plausible bits of commonly used sci-fi tech). There are a few mecha anime I've enjoyed in the past, however, including one of my favorite ever: Patlabor (the TV series. The movies aren't anything like the TV series).

The trouble is cutting even that down to just one or two great moments; the series is full of them. Most of them don't really have that much to do with the mecha, itself, but certainly there are some.

Perhaps the battle with the Phantom, where Noa is fighting for her life while out of contact with Asuma while Kanuka Clancy's grandmother is relating the tale of losing her lover during the Korean War; or one of the many moments during the battle with the Griffon (or Gryphon, as it was occasionally spelled); or one of many other scenes throughout the series.

Limiting it to one, though? I don't think I can do that.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#7 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:27 AM

Shining Finger > All moments.

Or Lockon Stratos shooting epik pilots out of teh air.

#8 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (True @ May 19 2010, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably choose over a hundred scenes from Evangelion alone. This is one of the reasons Asuka is my favorite female character in all of anime.

I hated Asuka and never understood her appeal. She was a complete b*tch to 95% of the cast in Eva.

Anyway, I don't know if it's considered Super Mecha, but this was one of my favorite robot battles. (that's right I'm bringing back the old school)

Also no one can forget the first time they saw this.

Edited by No WhereMan, 19 May 2010 - 04:41 PM.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#9 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ May 19 2010, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hated Asuka and never understood her appeal. She was a complete b*tch to 95% of the cast in Eva.

That’s quite understandable. Asuka’s character isn’t a simple one to understand and is one of the reasons she has such a great appeal to me due to it taking a deeper thought to break down her personality and realize the true nature and all facets of her character. Her fiery personality is quite a paradox to some people, but after watching the series a couple times you get a complete understanding of just how she is. The most obvious reason for Asuka’s “kitteny” personality is simply that she is a 14 year old girl going through puberty. Add along the tremendous stress that piloting the Eva brings, you could expect that a girl in her state would behave the way she does due to the raging hormones that are being built up within her. This is a pretty justifiable reason for her attitude and should give her a little benefit about the way she behaves. Of course I’ll go a bit deeper and give a better clarification of her behavior.

Asuka at a very young age lost her mother to insanity and was constantly ignored in favor of her doll who her mother thought was really her daughter. In a child so young you create insecure attachment with Asuka’s mother being so insensitive and responding to her daughters need. Asuka’s development into a teenager shows she has developed ambivalent/resistant attachment where she can’t seek comfort within others due to the lack of not having done it with her own mother. This helps to explain why she is so dismissive and rejects those around her. The instance of scene where Asuka is at her mother’s funeral and her grandmother says it is all right for her to cry Asuka rejects that notion and stays on the notion that she will remain strong and become independent. This affirmation shows the beginning of the repressing of her emotions which is hazardous to the personality development with a girl at such a young age.

Asuka’s relationship with those around her is an example of projection. She has many insecurities and weaknesses within her and fails to express them due to the promise she made with becoming stronger and more independent when she as an infant. She has constructed this “perfect” image of herself as how she should be the best at everything and when she has conflicting emotions or feelings with this image she lashes out at others, chastising and attacking others to “project” these negative, discomforting, and unacceptable feelings onto them. This way she feels better about herself by disowning these self emotions onto other and having the burden lifted on them. This is exemplified in episode 22 with the infamous “mindrape” scene where the Angel Arael breaks down Asukas defense mechanisms and shows her True insecurities and burdens she keeps within her. At this point you get the clear cut understanding of just why Asuka behaves the way she does and the reason for her such outlandish behavior.

Two other common psychological defense mechanisms that Asuka displays are Devaluation and Displacement. By trying to hide and get rid of her own feelings of inhibition and inferiority she is prone to attacking and ridiculing others due to the frustration of being unable to face her own emotions. These are frequent traits seen within people who have a strong sense of pride and competition as Asuka very much does. Both of these are self destructive qualities and very much hurt the person who expresses them as seen by the later episodes when Asuka starts to decrease her synchronization rate with the Eva and start to lambent her skills due to her over-aggressiveness and continued drive to fight in a situation when she has been defeated.

That is why the particular scene I posted in which Asuka comes to realize that her mother was always protecting her is very significant in her final development because she doesn’t need to keep up the act of trying to be independent and self reliant. She can rely on the support of the strengths and bonds of those who are close to her—like her mother’s spirit always looking over her while she was in the Eva 02—and get rid of some of the burdens and feelings of animosity that lie deep with her. This is one of the many reasons why she seeks the acknowledgment of Shinji (their relationship is a subject for another day, but I’ll speak on one point) because she knows that he can help and they’ll be able to rely on one another instead of being all alone and separate from the world as noted in the final scene of End of Evangelion. Her character speaks greatly on the point that no matter how proud, aggressive, or stubborn you are, the ability to seek out the support of those close to you will greatly increase the strength you've built through your own and really enhance the ability to overcome challenges than when you try to complete them on your own.

That's the response I can offer you on why Asuka behaved the way she did in the series from a psychological standpoint. If there are any other facets of her personality you would like me to go further in depth, please don't hesitate to ask.
QUOTE (Cloud @ May 19 2010, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shining Finger > All moments.

#10 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ May 19 2010, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, I don't know if it's considered Super Mecha, but this was one of my favorite robot battles. (that's right I'm bringing back the old school)

Voltron and Robotech ftw

#11 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

Heh, before Voltron and Robotech, and especially amongst Filipinos, THIS was THE Crowning Moment of their (and my) childhood:

Also...someone's been reading the CMoA page for Mecha Anime in tvtropes lately.... XD

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 19 May 2010 - 09:09 PM.

#12 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (True @ May 19 2010, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That’s quite understandable. Asuka’s character isn’t a simple one to understand and is one of the reasons she has such a great appeal to me due to it taking a deeper thought to break down her personality and realize the true nature and all facets of her character. Her fiery personality is quite a paradox to some people, but after watching the series a couple times you get a complete understanding of just how she is. The most obvious reason for Asuka’s “kitteny” personality is simply that she is a 14 year old girl going through puberty. Add along the tremendous stress that piloting the Eva brings, you could expect that a girl in her state would behave the way she does due to the raging hormones that are being built up within her. This is a pretty justifiable reason for her attitude and should give her a little benefit about the way she behaves. Of course I’ll go a bit deeper and give a better clarification of her behavior.

Asuka at a very young age lost her mother to insanity and was constantly ignored in favor of her doll who her mother thought was really her daughter. In a child so young you create insecure attachment with Asuka’s mother being so insensitive and responding to her daughters need. Asuka’s development into a teenager shows she has developed ambivalent/resistant attachment where she can’t seek comfort within others due to the lack of not having done it with her own mother. This helps to explain why she is so dismissive and rejects those around her. The instance of scene where Asuka is at her mother’s funeral and her grandmother says it is all right for her to cry Asuka rejects that notion and stays on the notion that she will remain strong and become independent. This affirmation shows the beginning of the repressing of her emotions which is hazardous to the personality development with a girl at such a young age.

Asuka’s relationship with those around her is an example of projection. She has many insecurities and weaknesses within her and fails to express them due to the promise she made with becoming stronger and more independent when she as an infant. She has constructed this “perfect” image of herself as how she should be the best at everything and when she has conflicting emotions or feelings with this image she lashes out at others, chastising and attacking others to “project” these negative, discomforting, and unacceptable feelings onto them. This way she feels better about herself by disowning these self emotions onto other and having the burden lifted on them. This is exemplified in episode 22 with the infamous “mindrape” scene where the Angel Arael breaks down Asukas defense mechanisms and shows her True insecurities and burdens she keeps within her. At this point you get the clear cut understanding of just why Asuka behaves the way she does and the reason for her such outlandish behavior.

Two other common psychological defense mechanisms that Asuka displays are Devaluation and Displacement. By trying to hide and get rid of her own feelings of inhibition and inferiority she is prone to attacking and ridiculing others due to the frustration of being unable to face her own emotions. These are frequent traits seen within people who have a strong sense of pride and competition as Asuka very much does. Both of these are self destructive qualities and very much hurt the person who expresses them as seen by the later episodes when Asuka starts to decrease her synchronization rate with the Eva and start to lambent her skills due to her over-aggressiveness and continued drive to fight in a situation when she has been defeated.

That is why the particular scene I posted in which Asuka comes to realize that her mother was always protecting her is very significant in her final development because she doesn’t need to keep up the act of trying to be independent and self reliant. She can rely on the support of the strengths and bonds of those who are close to her—like her mother’s spirit always looking over her while she was in the Eva 02—and get rid of some of the burdens and feelings of animosity that lie deep with her. This is one of the many reasons why she seeks the acknowledgment of Shinji (their relationship is a subject for another day, but I’ll speak on one point) because she knows that he can help and they’ll be able to rely on one another instead of being all alone and separate from the world as noted in the final scene of End of Evangelion. Her character speaks greatly on the point that no matter how proud, aggressive, or stubborn you are, the ability to seek out the support of those close to you will greatly increase the strength you've built through your own and really enhance the ability to overcome challenges than when you try to complete them on your own.

That's the response I can offer you on why Asuka behaved the way she did in the series from a psychological standpoint. If there are any other facets of her personality you would like me to go further in depth, please don't hesitate to ask.

Yea all that or she just could just be a b*tch.

I'm sorry I've heard people use your stated excuses several times before, but bottom line is no past, no matter how "tragic" doesn't excuse anyone for their mistreatment of other people. I mean if you can justify her reactions as natural because she had a tragic past then you could very well justify everything that Sasuke's doing in the Manga as well. Hell, they're even in the same age group. *Go fig!*

I mean just about everyone in Eva has had a tragic past somehow, hell Shinji's past is hellavalot worst than Asuka, yet he still has a better disposition. And he doesn't have to feel the need to make herself feel better by stomping on other people. I mean that just shows she's spoiled and a bully. Yeah, I'm feeling sorry for that. sleep.gif

Edited by No WhereMan, 20 May 2010 - 12:57 AM.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#13 Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Sometimes I get to poetic for my own good!

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Reading Fanfiction and video games(lately it's only being the former)

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

The first fight in Evangelion. That one set the mood for the anime for me.

I haven't been able to find with the original sound so you'll have to go with some Linkin Park.

P.S: D#$% you True! I wanted to post something from Eva, but you had to do it first. well it's what I get for being away such long periods of time. Sometimes It seems that I just forget that this site has a bigger Eva fanbase that you would expect.

Edited by Whirlpool-Maelstrom, 01 June 2010 - 09:39 PM.

#14 Terrace

Terrace

Ghostbuster

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Adding a new pair of moments from the Lagann-hen movie:

Yeah, Lord Genome is too awesome for clothes. lol

Edited by Terrace, 05 August 2010 - 09:07 PM.

I know there is a bigger chance of me farting lightning then a Harem coupling happening.

If you have attempted a jutsu by performing hand seals or using scrolls, copy and paste this into your signature.

Click Here!

#15 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

I say this is defiantly a epic moment: from Linebarrels of Iron. Last episode which all the Factors(the pilots of the Machina robots) sacrifice themselves to close a dimensional gate to stop an invading armada.

*note, this clip contains the opening song too.

Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#16 Terrace

Terrace

Ghostbuster

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:38 PM

Here's another. It's one of the epic fights from the last episode of GaoGaiGar FINAL.

First, some context: After repeatedly beating down Genesic GaoGaiGar, the villian has become convinced that he's now God. Gai would like to dispute that one.

Click Here!

#17 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ May 19 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heh, before Voltron and Robotech, and especially amongst Filipinos, THIS was THE Crowning Moment of their (and my) childhood:

Also...someone's been reading the CMoA page for Mecha Anime in tvtropes lately.... XD

LET'S VOLT IN!!! :DDDDD

Animetal's version of the theme song is just pure sex.

And Zero, Lockon Stratos is just pwn. I like him better than Setsuna lol

Edited by JoHamSandwich, 26 September 2010 - 12:11 AM.

#18 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:00 AM

Haven't seen Rebuild yet, but THESE caught my eye.

@Terrace... Is the GGG's pilot voiced by the same guy who voiced Viral from Gurren Lagann?

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 27 September 2010 - 02:09 AM.

#19 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

A thread about epic moments in super robot anime... and I haven't posted so far on it? Blasphemy!

I have not much time now -and I can't embed videos for some reason, so I shall have to post links- but some of the most recents moments stuck in my mind are:

Mazinkaiser vs Ankoku Daishogun:

Oh, man. Now and forever, Mazinger-Z kicks butts.

Shin Getter Robot

One of the best battles between two combining mechas I have ever seen. And the Hironobu Kageyama's song enhancing the final blow increase the awesomeness up to the limit.

Kotetsushin Jeeg

This video is an endless sucession of Crowning Moments of Awesome, starting with "I don't need air" and ending with "Who's next?", as JAM Project's excellent song "Dead or Alive" booms in the background.

Mazinsaga

This short feature was done for advertising the then-incoming Mazinkaiser OVA series. It features the most of Go Nagai's super robots.

GunBuster

GunBuster's only real fight in the OVA series is also simply awesome.

I can recall plenty -and I mean plenty- more scenes, since I am a big super robot shows fan all the way back from Mazinger-Z, and I love the seventies shows, but right now I have no time for searching for more videos.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#20 Terrace

Terrace

Ghostbuster

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:58 AM

Got another one from GaoGaiGar FINAL:

Oh, and I believe that Gai's voice actor is the same guy behind Viral.

Edited by Terrace, 23 November 2010 - 04:03 AM.

Click Here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users