• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#1 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:58 AM

http://blog.wired.co...awsuit-wat.html

20th Century Fox, the barely alive movie company that has distributed some of the biggest box office bombs of the last 40 years want to derail the making and release of Warner Bros.' "Watchmen" a movie based upon the 1987 Alan Moore graphic novel. They claim that only they have the rights to the film (which they've been sitting on for nearly 15 freaking years) and that Warner shouldn't be allowed to release the film. The dumbass Judge in this case threw out Warner Bros.' motion to dismiss this case on the grounds that Fox has a legitimate claim. The cancellation of this film will set Warner Bros. back $120 million and seriously piss off the legions of fans that have been waiting for this movie for 20 years.

1/16/09 Update: The trial is over and the movie is coming out afterall thank god....

Edited by UzumakiEdward85, 16 January 2009 - 08:38 PM.

uc.png

#2 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

WTF FOX

#3 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:31 AM

What they hell are you talking about "Box office bombs"? Fox has three of the highest grossing films of all time in the Star Wars trilogy, not to mention the prequel trilogy which didn't do so bad either. Then there's the Alien films, Big, all the Die Hard movies and the Home Alones, Independence Day, There's Something About Mary, the X-Men movies, Cast Away, Ice Age and its ridiculous sequels, Night at the Museum, and those are just the ones that topped their weekly charts.

Oh, and there was this one other little film, name of TITANIC - you may have heard of it - number one all time at the box office.

Don't shoot your mouth off because you're pissed, whether legitimately or not.

#4 Daniee

Daniee

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

^Uncalled for...

Anyway, this is something I've come to expect from FOX. :rolleyes: sleep.gif
Watchmen is practically already made, it would suck tremendously if they did this.

People: "Wow, that trailer looks so cool!"
Fox: "Oh, but we're not going to let you see the movie, lolz."

#5 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

Out of curiosity, how is pointing out a blatant hole in someone else's post "uncalled for"? Because I made him look bad? Pfsh.

#6 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

Fox, please stop digging your own grave, kthx <3

Oh, and there was this one other little film, name of TITANIC - you may have heard of it - number one all time at the box office.

Yes, and one of the most cheesiest ones of all time. Soon to be upstaged by the truely deserving film, Dark Knight.

(You have to admit, Titanic was a bit cheesy and over-board with melodramatic. "I'M QUEEN OF THE WOOORLD!")

Edited by Yoshimoto Trigen, 20 August 2008 - 09:21 PM.

#7 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (Illjwamh @ Aug 20 2008, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What they hell are you talking about "Box office bombs"? Fox has three of the highest grossing films of all time in the Star Wars trilogy, not to mention the prequel trilogy which didn't do so bad either. Then there's the Alien films, Big, all the Die Hard movies and the Home Alones, Independence Day, There's Something About Mary, the X-Men movies, Cast Away, Ice Age and its ridiculous sequels, Night at the Museum, and those are just the ones that topped their weekly charts.

Don't shoot your mouth off because you're pissed, whether legitimately or not.

For every big hit Fox has had a movie that bombed and hard, this Summer is no different. X-Files 2, Meet Dave, Space Chimps, What Happens In Vegas all bombed and guess who distributed all those movies? 20th Century Fox. They have also distributed arguably the biggest Box Office bomb of all time 1963's Cleopatra, a movie which was so unsuccessful 20th Century Fox almost FOLDED.

uc.png

#8 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

Except that it's not 1963. Fox is hardly the same company it was 45 years ago.

And they're hardly the only studio putting out flops, either. Find me a studio that doesn't make at least as many flops as hits and I'll congratulate you for being the first human to travel to an alternate reality.

#9 psycho666

psycho666

wub

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

Oh boy. Well people are gonna be pissed, I mean couldn't Fox just get over it? I mean if they have such a legal claim over something why don't they make the movie?

#10 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Yoshimoto Trigen @ Aug 20 2008, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, and one of the most cheesiest ones of all time. Soon to be upstaged by the truely deserving film, Dark Knight.

(You have to admit, Titanic was a bit cheesy and over-board with melodramatic. "I'M QUEEN OF THE WOOORLD!")

That's not the point. I wasn't singing its praises; I was only pointing out the fact that it's made more money than any other movie in history.

QUOTE (psycho666 @ Aug 20 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh boy. Well people are gonna be pissed, I mean couldn't Fox just get over it? I mean if they have such a legal claim over something why don't they make the movie?

Because it would be a hassle. They just want the money they see themselves as entitled to. Unfortunately, that judge was right in that they do have a case.

#11 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Illjwamh @ Aug 20 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because it would be a hassle. They just want the money they see themselves as entitled to. Unfortunately, that judge was right in that they do have a case.

They were given the license to distribute the movie....all the way back in 1991. But did they do anything with it? No. Did it seem like they were planning on doing it in the near future? No in fact it seems like they just bought the rights so a Watchmen movie can't be made. This lawsuit proves that point, and not only should this case be throw out but the execs at 20th Century Fox should all be beaten with a baseball bat.

uc.png

#12 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:28 PM

It doesn't matter what their motivations for acquiring the rights were. The fact remains that they do indeed own said rights and can do whatever they want with them. Just because a bunch of people don't like it is not grounds for a case to be thrown out.

This could have been easily resolved before it even started if Time Warner had purchased the rights from them before they started making the movie, and Fox probably would have agreed since they obviously weren't getting around to making it themselves anyway.

#13 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (Illjwamh @ Aug 20 2008, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't matter what their motivations for acquiring the rights were. The fact remains that they do indeed own said rights and can do whatever they want with them. Just because a bunch of people don't like it is not grounds for a case to be thrown out.

This could have been easily resolved before it even started if Time Warner had purchased the rights from them before they started making the movie, and Fox probably would have agreed since they obviously weren't getting around to making it themselves anyway.

20th Century Fox is just jealous cuz The Dark Knight might overthrow Titanic and this is their way of getting back at Warner Bros.

uc.png

#14 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

You're right. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it turns out 20th Century Fox is a seven year-old boy. Who knew?

#15 Dash

Dash

Jetsetter

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Anime/manga, Music, Books, Animals (veterinary medicine), Scuba Diving

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:58 PM

You'd think WB would have known about Fox's claim on the rights before green-lighting the film

QUOTE (Illjwamh @ Aug 21 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're right. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it turns out 20th Century Fox is a seven year-old boy. Who knew?

laugh.gif

#16 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:02 AM

I'm with L on this one.

#17 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (Illjwamh @ Aug 20 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bingo.

If the Judge granted a motion to dismiss, it's the effect of saying Fox suits has no merits on it's face. Denying it does not mean a jury or a judge would find in favor of Fox at trial or that Fox is or will be the clear winner, only that they have the right to proceed in their suit. The equivalent in a criminal case is called a motion for directed verdict, which will be granted only if the prosecution has provided NO evidence of an element of the offense. It doesn't matter if the evidence is contradicted or weak, it just has to be there. It being denied says nothing about whether the person is guilty or not.

About the only way the judge could grant the motion is if it were pretty much indisputable that Fox had no rights.

You are also right about the motivation. Why Fox acquired them doesn't really matter alot for purposes of the suit, nor does it matter that Fox sat on their hands. As you said they can do whatever they want with them, so long as it does not the terms under which they were acquired were not violated. If there was nothing in the contract specifying that FOX had to do something otherwise they would be considered lost, then FOX is under no obligation to do anything with them, like it or not.

As you said, they could have purchase the rights from FOX, which is probably what will happen if they settle.

#18 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:33 AM

Bingo.

More like you fail.

If the Judge granted a motion to dismiss, it's the effect of saying Fox suits has no merits on it's face. Denying it does not mean a jury or a judge would find in favor of Fox at trial or that Fox is or will be the clear winner, only that they have the right to proceed in their suit. The equivalent in a criminal case is called a motion for directed verdict, which will be granted only if the prosecution has provided NO evidence of an element of the offense. It doesn't matter if the evidence is contradicted or weak, it just has to be there. It being denied says nothing about whether the person is guilty or not.

Then tell me how Warner Bros. has a snowballs chance in hell. And btw comparing this to a criminal case is one of the worst comparisons in the history of comparing something.

About the only way the judge could grant the motion is if it were pretty much indisputable that Fox had no rights.

They bought the property 17 years ago and did nothing with it as far as I'm concerned their statue of limitation has run out.

You are also right about the motivation. Why Fox acquired them doesn't really matter alot for purposes of the suit, nor does it matter that Fox sat on their hands. As you said they can do whatever they want with them, so long as it does not the terms under which they were acquired were not violated. If there was nothing in the contract specifying that FOX had to do something otherwise they would be considered lost, then FOX is under no obligation to do anything with them, like it or not.

^Read my previous comment

As you said, they could have purchase the rights from FOX, which is probably what will happen if they settle.

Fox doesn't want to settle they want the movie TERMINATED.

Edited by L, 21 August 2008 - 12:42 AM.

uc.png

#19 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:45 AM

Every company has blockbusters,and bombs as well. Nothing special. But I had just started reading Watchmen because my older brother has it, and I really like it so far. The trailerwas excellent and now It might all go to sh**.F fox.
\

#20 Xyanide

Xyanide

The Poison in your system

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Graphics Design, Naruto, Bleach, fun stuff :D

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:05 AM

You probably shouldn't worry about the movie being terminated, Fox can make far much more money by forcing WB to give them a percentage of the profits or making WB purchase the rights. Hell, that may be the reason Fox sat the rights in the first place sleep.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users