• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

This I shall not stand for. There is only ONE Neverending Story. This: http://en.wikipedia....verending_Story. Please, remember it.

Oh. I remember it. I remember it well. It was horrible.

I remember as a kid thinking that the movie would, in fact, never end. I despise that movie. My old roommate in college had a copy and used to threaten to pop it into the DVD player just to mess with me. He thought was crazy for hating it.

It ranks up there with Tank Girl, Half Baked, and anything directed by Kevin Smith.

#22 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

I hope you do not get offended if I say I found your anecdote extremely funny. I can just imagine the scene...  :D

I watched the movie in a  rented tape (and now I have dated myself) when I was a kid. I do not remember if I liked it or not. I did not watch the sequel, but I know it is barely the same story.

However I read the book several years ago and I liked. I enjoyed it.

Later I watched the third movie. In a theater. Luckily my big sister invited me and paid for the tickets, because it would have been a waste of money. THAT I would call it horrible.

I do not know if you also read the book and you found it awful, too. But I do not advice judging a book cause the movie it is based on. I still have to find a movie based on a book that is not inferior -or vastly inferior- to the original stuff. And yes, that includes The Lord of Rings movies.

It ranks up there with Tank Girl, Half Baked, and anything directed by Kevin Smith.

I have not watched any of those movies. Judging by your words, I am not missing out anything, anyway.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#23 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

A neverending stor-eeee, da da da, da da da, da da da. 

*Loved the song when I was a kid too!* Had no idea there was a book.

Nate, lol at your college roomate.

#24 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

I wouldn't exactly say this is a never ending story, eventually it'll come to an end and hopefully all the time and effort we put into it will be worth it, but hey I don't blame you Ed, it's dragged on far enough... although asking you to hang on a bit longer seems to be out the question?

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#25 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

I hope you do not get offended if I say I found your anecdote extremely funny. I can just imagine the scene...  :D

Not at all. That was my intent.

I didn't know there was a book either.

#26 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

*Loved the song when I was a kid too!* Had no idea there was a book.

I didn't know there was a book either.

Oh, yes. That special moment when you find out that movie/show you have just is based on something else. It is even more amusing when years passed since you saw it.

Few years ago when the first movie based on the Chronicles of Narnia premiered, I read a girl complaning she constantly met younger people were shocked of hearing that movie was based on a book. Similarly, not long ago I found out 101 Dalmatians was based on a book. And the less said about Twilight fan girls who believe Universal ripped off Stephanie Meyers when they remade The Wolfman better...

In the past century, a lot of Western novels and child literature were adapted in anime (for example, Little Women). In the seventies, Alps no Shojo Heidi (http://en.wikipedia....irl_of_the_Alps) was aired in my country and it still is one of the most popular anime series where I live (pick a random person in the street and they can not know who is Naruto, and they definitely will not know who Rei Ayanami or Ichigo is, but they SHALL know who is Heidi), but nearly nobody knows it is based on a Swiss child novel written in 1880.

Anyway the movie only adapted the first half of the book.

Nate, if it helps, Michael Ende (http://en.wikipedia....ki/Michael_Ende), author of The Neverending Story novel, also hated the movie adaptation. In fact, he was so disgusted with it that:

Ende requested they halt production or change the movie's name, as it had drastically deviated from his novel; when they did neither, he sued them and subsequently lost the case.[4]

http://www3.plala.or...mig/me1-uk.html (check 1984 date)

So you can feel vindicated knowing that the original author also thought it sucked.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#27 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

I haven't left the fandom, but I am in the same boat as you in the way that I stopped reading.

That being said, selling every one of your volumes... understandable, but aren't there moments in any of those volumes that you enjoy? Any memories you'd like to relive, back when the series still had good footing?

Just saying, don't do anything you might regret down the line. Frustration with Naruto is totally understandable, believe me, but selling every volume you have? I don't know. You may want to think that one over a bit more, just in case.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#28 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:lol git

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:44 AM

For the last 3-4 years I've struggled to justify my fandom to Naruto as the quality of the story continued to worsen, reaching its lowest point with the Iron Country Arc which is in my opinion Naruto's worst arc. The current Arc the 4th Ninja War Arc which many people feel will be Naruto's last Arc (it should be anyway) started in 2011 and Kishimoto has pulled every bs trick out of his ass to drag it on and on and Chapter 646 was the icing on the kitten cake. I know it's Storytelling 101 that in the Final Battle the Main Villain must be extremely powerful so that when he's finally defeated you feel the same joy the Heroes do but this is getting retarded. Every mother kittening time Obito is on the ropes he pulls something else out of nowhere and the Heroes are made look weak and stupid. This last ass pull in 646 with the chakra sucking tree was the final straw, I can't take it anymore. First chance I get I'm selling every Naruto Volume I own and putting all the Merch I own on eBay or something. 10 years of my life wasted reading this neverending story that I'll never get back. (*SNIP* ~Smiter)

And its only gonna get more ridiculous. But thats how the Naruto train rolls, and this kitten aint got no breaks. 

Choo-choo

#29 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

I can sort of get how people who followed a manga that long of a time can get frustrated but remember the manga's targeted audience is still for children and young teens. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of logic being used in this manga.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users