2729 replies to this topic

#2721 jak123

jak123

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:14 AM

But those same otaku are the ones trying to escape the world they live in, which allows them (and their audience) to vicariously live through their self-inserts. Granted, then we have cases like Konosuba which takes delight in subverting isekai expectations and it's pretty popular. I think the isekai genre itself has been steered into a more deconstructionalist direction as of late, taking the piss out of those otaku avatars. Not to mention we also have good fantasy series like Delicious in Dungeon to compare the standard Isekai against. I'd recommend checking out D in D myself, since the characters and setting really sell it.

There are so many days I want to switch my avatar to Senshi.

Huh. Just though of something. To Boruto, being anti-conformist isn't telling kids to rebel against the system. It's anti-conformist in that unlike other shonen series it's pushing conformity. It tells the audience to work for the good of society, even hiding the atrocities said society commits, while conforming to the other various trappings of the genre. It's like this thing I once wrote to get a chuckle out of a teacher "be an individual and unite," presented without awareness or irony. While Black Clover is shonen through and through and MHA is willing to challenge the old ways, Boruto is stuck trying to be something that it just isn't in it's heart.

And that's no doubt a reason why it's so goddamn unappealing to most people.

I guess you could look at it that way. The problem is the concept of "conformity and non-conformity" is shaky at best. People who "rebel" against the "conformity" of a certain way tend to be following someone else's example so in reality they are just conforming to a different way of thinking. So in reality, non-conformity doesn't really exist for 99.99999999% of people because they followed. If you get lucky you can be that 0.00000001% of people who start the trend. 

If anything, it's just kitten writing that completely contradicts what the original story setup to accomplish. I don't think there's really any deeper meaning than that.

Edited by jak123, 13 August 2018 - 02:14 AM.

#2722 VanitasDS76491

VanitasDS76491

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, Naruto, Bleach,,RWBY, Fairy Tail, Kill la Kill. Dragon Ball Series, Attack on Titan, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, The Last of Us, Hellsing, Yu-Gi-oh, Digimon, Rave Master, The Middle-Earth Saga, Star Wars, Marvel Comics, MCU, Superman, Batman, DC Comics, Metal Gear Series, Transformers Series, Devil May Cry, Bioshock Series, One Piece, Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusko, Soul Eater.

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

I wonder who got butt kittened more in terms of character naruto or luke Skywalker I say both the last jedi Luke is the complete opposite of how we met him.

#2723 jak123

jak123

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

I wonder who got butt kittened more in terms of character naruto or luke Skywalker I say both the last jedi Luke is the complete opposite of how we met him.

Oh god yes. LJ was absolutely terrible, but the worst thing was them destroying Luke's character. Even Mark Hamill criticized the movie.

#2724 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

I say Naruto. They've both become something of an antithesis of what they were originally supposed to be, but I think Naruto has it worse for two reasons. The first is that you can ignore the sequel trilogy if you want, whereas the transformation into Boruto's dad was done at the end of the manga/anime. And second, Lucas was not the one who wrote/directed TLJ (which I have to say, RJ's disrespect for the creations of others is appalling. Though this is the same guy who at first said he wasn't trying to split the fanbase only for an old quote to resurface where he said he wanted to make films that split the audience. You got what you wanted buddy, so quit crying about manbabies) whereas Kishi betrayed Naruto himself.

iSP2FNe.png

Just making your day a little brighter.

#2725 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

Both, but I say Naruto was the one that suffered the most amount of damage since it happened at the end of his journey.

What was meant to be his triumphant was instead his death.

Luke's journey (Lucas's version) ended well. It was only after years that Kathleen Kennedy decided that girl power must be victorious in Hollywood, without actually knowing how to do it or even having any knowledge about what she was in charge, even though she worked under and with Lucas for years.

And her version was make a Mary sue and make sure you destroy all the male characters including the previous hero around her in order to make the Mary Sue look better. Then fire anyone who dares to oppose your vision and give the project to the guy who did Looper.

You literally had the recipe for the perfect disaster.

Posted Image

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#2726 VanitasDS76491

VanitasDS76491

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, Naruto, Bleach,,RWBY, Fairy Tail, Kill la Kill. Dragon Ball Series, Attack on Titan, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, The Last of Us, Hellsing, Yu-Gi-oh, Digimon, Rave Master, The Middle-Earth Saga, Star Wars, Marvel Comics, MCU, Superman, Batman, DC Comics, Metal Gear Series, Transformers Series, Devil May Cry, Bioshock Series, One Piece, Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusko, Soul Eater.

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:13 AM

Both, but I say Naruto was the one that suffered the most amount of damage since it happened at the end of his journey.
What was meant to be his triumphant was instead his death.
Luke's journey (Lucas's version) ended well. It was only after years that Kathleen Kennedy decided that girl power must be victorious in Hollywood, without actually knowing how to do it or even having any knowledge about what she was in charge, even though she worked under and with Lucas for years.
And her version was make a Mary sue and make sure you destroy all the male characters including the previous hero around her in order to make the Mary Sue look better. Then fire anyone who dares to oppose your vision and give the project to the guy who did Looper.
You literally had the recipe for the perfect disaster.

Sounds like hinata since she's a Mary sue as well. Also while I hate the last jedi is really what naruto to wind up like Luke was in that movie it'd the best thing for he's character.

#2727 VanitasDS76491

VanitasDS76491

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:16 AM

Oh god yes. LJ was absolutely terrible, but the worst thing was them destroying Luke's character. Even Mark Hamill criticized the movie.

When mark Hamill himself says it's bad it's time to rewrite it every scene of that movie is dumb but I'd watch last jedi over the last any day. It's sad cause naruto story was kind of like Luke's before kishi ripped off alot of star wars and metal gear.

#2728 KClaws_2

KClaws_2

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted Today, 08:54 AM

Out of curiosity i type "Boruto low sale" in goggle search bar and the result is not what i expected (or what i like maybe).

Just want to post this here i don't know if it's true or not.

http://comicbook.com...-ratings-japan/

Info is bit old , in may 2018.

Looks like this cockroaches gonna take longer than that to kick the bucket.

That really doesn't sound right. I've heard repeatedly that DragonBall consistently outsold Naruto. Maybe it's because DBS ended recently that Boruto is getting a chance to catch up. As for Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, I can believe that to some extent. Both of those shows have been around for a while now, so I can see people getting bored of them. But the games? Oh hell no, no way the anime alone is making that much money. We know the printed works of Boruto aren't selling well either for that matter. 

Still, as I said before, if you push your series beyond 50 episodes, you're doing something right. From what I feel, Boruto is selling well enough with it's target audience (kids) but it's really not making waves among hard-core fans

The anti boruto tumblr is full of hate right now , apparently because in the recent filler episode , chouchou can use the butterfly technique that chouji use without any risk. It's vague but from what i read it looks like when she use that technique she become skinnier and her skin turn light. And apparently this pissed off a lot of black people , they said that it's racist / racism , because when shes fat and black nobody likes her but when she use that butterfly technique and she become skinnier and lighter the fans like her. There's no image or screenshot so i don't really know for sure how she looks like , but if i have to guess : when she use that butterfly technique she basically become sexy pretty skinny and shes no longer black , her skin is white .... could be wrong but once again they piss off their own fans , nice job SP.

To be fair, in Japanese culture, lighter skin is considered more beautiful (just look at Geishas) and Cho-Cho's still dark-skinned. 

Still, it's really insultuing to Chouji's character to just have this skinny jutsu you could activate at random (though to be fair, that HAS been the pattern lately). This was more in the anime, but during his fight with Jirobo, he flashbacked to being made fun of for being a fat kid, but his friendship with Shikamaru gave him the courage to accept himself for whom he was. Cho-Cho is just annoying, and she's incredibly shallow. That thing about hoping Sasuke was her Dad...um, I really don't want to know about this fetish. It would have been one thing if they explained Chouji trained hard for his weight loss for health reasons, but no. He just did so his daughter wouldn't run away again.

Come on! Girl, do you know how many teenage girls live with heavy-set parents? Some have parents who are sick, pattern-baldness and other such things that make them less than "perfect", and I bet they would slap the kitten out of you disowning him for a problem they all have.

Not only that but in this episode, chou chou also snapped at salad and mitsuki by calling them average looking or something just cuz they didnt let her kiss the actor guy. Why do they make all the female characters so obsessed with boys? .. from the hinata clone to salad fangirling over boruto and now chou chou choosing an older guy over her friends. Does SP really believe that girls have nothing going on in their lives except pining after guys?

I wish SP would take some pointers from horikoshi on how to write side female characters. Not one girl in my hero academia obsesses over boys like the girls in naruto or boruto do.

I've a feeling she's going to revert back to her fat form soon. Of course, I could be wrong and they decide to keep her this way.

But yeah, SP and Kishimoto have BADLY handled women. Except for maybe Sarada, almost all the major females are obsessed with some man. No subtly, no moral message, just...this is how women are (in their stupid fantasy world). Almost every other anime and manga out there balances their female characters. They usually have their own dreams, personalities, and skills. They may not be top-tier all the time, but at least they have effort put into them. At SP, it's just "Hey, here's a girl. First off: Who is she going to crush on?" Then they just have her "borrow" skills from other established characters.

As for trying to make her like Yorouichi...yeah, that doesn't work. 1) Yorouichi is a grown woman 2) Yorouichi is actually awesome (yes, I've said repeatedly I'm not a big fan of Bleach, but I'm down for a spin-off staring her) and 3) Yorouichi is not boy-crazy. Yes, it's implied she and Urahara have a thing, but it's really not made a big thing out of. 

I say Naruto. They've both become something of an antithesis of what they were originally supposed to be, but I think Naruto has it worse for two reasons. The first is that you can ignore the sequel trilogy if you want, whereas the transformation into Boruto's dad was done at the end of the manga/anime. And second, Lucas was not the one who wrote/directed TLJ (which I have to say, RJ's disrespect for the creations of others is appalling. Though this is the same guy who at first said he wasn't trying to split the fanbase only for an old quote to resurface where he said he wanted to make films that split the audience. You got what you wanted buddy, so quit crying about manbabies) whereas Kishi betrayed Naruto himself.

I still need to see TLJ, no matter how bad it may be. However, I've heard that RJ actually THREW OUT JJ's script for episode 8. Like, I get you want to put your own stamp on the movie, but could you do so in a way that's consistent with the previous entry?

Another problem this trilogy is having is that there is no game plan. The original's goal was the redemption of Darth Vader through his son. The prequels, flawed as they were, set up the origin of Darth Vader. What's the point of this one? It feels like they are making this up as they go along and are adding side stories thinking this can work out like the MCU. Once more, others have a HUGE misunderstanding of the key to the MCU's success: Kevin Feige. He had a plan for all the movies to lead up to Infinity War, and that's exactly where he took us. Not only that, but John Campena recently talked about this and mentioned KF's main job as president of Marvel Studios was to make sure everyone was on the same page, and really pay close attention to continuity, which Kennedy has failed to do. They're throwing things at the wall and hoping they stick. If you're doing a serious series of movies, that's not how it's going to work.

And while I don't believe actors should have the final say in how a character is portrayed, when the same actor who played that same character is not agreeing with you on anything, you should probably rethink what you're doing. The Skywalker in the new movies is not a different rendition of the character like we see in so many other superhero media, it's the exact same person from before, so you probably SHOULD at least discuss with them what are the appropriate changes.

#2729 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted Today, 09:45 AM

DragonBall is aired Fuji TV. DragonBall isn't a TV Tokyo product which is where Boruto, Naruto, Gintama, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh are aired. (Though that title comicbook gave is a lie since its only considering TV Tokyo products.) 

Why does everyone just assume Fat Filler was some "fat acceptance character," and how many times will I have to explain again, and again she isn't? At the end of the gaiden when she heard that their was a move that would slim her down she instantly wanted to learn it. Other then that she was always a walking fat joke, not a character the staff wanted you to admire.

Rian Johnson thought he could what ever he wanted because it was star wars and the fans will just accept it. When they didn't, he is now desperately trying to make "Star Wars Gate" a thing to just claim that it was the evil sexists that don't like his movie, and that he should still get his trilogy that KK promised him.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, Today, 09:46 AM.

#2730 DrK

DrK

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted Today, 11:08 AM

Why does everyone just assume Fat Filler was some "fat acceptance character," and how many times will I have to explain again, and again she isn't? At the end of the gaiden when she heard that their was a move that would slim her down she instantly wanted to learn it. Other then that she was always a walking fat joke, not a character the staff wanted you to admire.

We get it, she makes Cartman look like Don Draper. But it's not like the other characters are much better. They could have played that angle just to create something of substance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Naruto, Boruto, anime, Next Generation, Studio Pierriot

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users