Close
Photo

New DBZ Movie (don't worry, it's not live-action) coming out March 2013.

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#1 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

http://www.animenews...gon-ball-z-film

Well, I dunno if anyone's interested in the DBZ franchise anymore, but I figure I might as well announce it since the big difference is that Toriyama's writing it.

In a comment printed alongside the announcement, Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama notes that the adaptation will mark the first time he has been so deeply involved in the production of an anime, in this case as early as the screenwriting stages. Toriyama also says that the film will retain the atmosphere of the original while adding small amounts of "modern flavor."

Looks like they're going to use modern animation techniques.

On a side note, does anybody think it's seriously funny as hell that 2012-2013 will have all the big name mangakas writing their movies?? we've got Kishi, Mashima, and Oda this year. Next year, we'll have the legend himself. At this point, I won't be surprised if Kubo joins in the fray too next year. In fact, I think he would just because he wants to show off to Toriyama laugh.gif considering that he's also his hero.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#2 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Has Rumiko Takahashi been involved in any movies recently, or has she slipped out of the top mangaka list after Inuyasha ended?

I keep hoping that some day, they start another Dragonball series. Not because I particularly want more Dragonball, but because I want GT written out of (anime) canon (even if I liked Bra and Pan, just about everything else about that series... well...). Knowing my luck, though, they'll make one, and it'll just incorporate GT even further into the series... *sigh*

Edited by desaix, 11 July 2012 - 03:43 PM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#3 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jul 11 2012, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I dunno if anyone's interested in the DBZ franchise anymore, but I figure I might as well announce it since the big difference is that Toriyama's writing it.

Looks like they're going to use modern animation techniques.

On a side note, does anybody think it's seriously funny as hell that 2012-2013 will have all the big name mangakas writing their movies?? we've got Kishi, Mashima, and Oda this year. Next year, we'll have the legend himself. At this point, I won't be surprised if Kubo joins in the fray too next year. In fact, I think he would just because he wants to show off to Toriyama laugh.gif considering that he's also his hero.

So it's up to Toriyama-sama to clean up the piece of s*** that Hollywood made of a movie that is "supposedly" based on his series (aka DB Evolution). Well if the author himself is writing the movie then it will be a million times better than the trash Hollywood made.

Edited by Gravenimage, 11 July 2012 - 05:20 PM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#4 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Jul 11 2012, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So it's up to Toriyama-sama to clean up the piece of s*** that Hollywood made of a movie that is "supposedly" based on his series (aka DB Evolution). Well if the author himself is written then it will be a million times than the trash Hollywood.

Umm.... you do understand that this is not live-action, do you??

248793.jpg

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#5 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jul 11 2012, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Umm.... you do understand that this is not live-action, do you??

Even BETTER! Thank you that it is not live action, but still I think Toriyama wants to make the movie because he saw Evolution and fell on a coma from how much it sucked and the fact that Hollywood destroyed his amazing series with this movie. After waking up he vowed to make a movie so the fans can completely forget the horror they wasted 5$ to watch.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#6 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

^QFT. I agree.

248793.jpg

#7 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

It's anime?! Oh man, it's so good to know! I saw this new yesterday and everybody in the internet were assuming it was another live action. But this surely brings some reliefe.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#8 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jul 11 2012, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think anyone who grew up in the 90s is not still interested in DBZ. That series will always be in the top action animes for me, and now with news that even Sailor Moon is getting a reboot/fresh new look, I'm super excited on the anime front next year! a_spaz.gif

#9 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Does anybody feel old with Toriyama & Takeuchi coming back?? Just asking.... With them coming out of retirement, it kinda make us feel old, doesn't it?? laugh.gif or am I the only one feeling this way?? unsure.gif

248793.jpg

#10 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jul 11 2012, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anybody feel old with Toriyama & Takeuchi coming back?? Just asking.... With them coming out of retirement, it kinda make us feel old, doesn't it?? laugh.gif or am I the only one feeling this way?? unsure.gif

*grins* I'll always be young at heart! I'm 30 and I don't feel old at all~ :3

#11 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Old? I wouldn't exactly use the word. More like... nostalgic? I was about 5 years old when first introduced to dragon ball, and I'm still just 22. Of course, the story started five years before I was born, so maybe, it doesn't count?

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#12 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Feeling old? Because Toriyama and Takeuchi are being active again? Not at all. After all, Go Nagai and Reiji Matsumoto are still active and making newer stuff.

When I hear someone saying "Slayers? Wait, now I remember. I used to watch it when I was a little kid," treating Ranma, Inu Yasha or Detective Conan like if they were older than dirt or giving me a blank stare if I mention Kimagure Orange Road, City Hunter, Fist of NorthStar or GoLion (Voltron) I feel old.

I am thirty-one and most of series I like tend to be old classics, so the latter may happen more frequently than I would like.

Geez, I watched DB for first time around 1991-1992, so I would be not older than twelve.

I am not sure of how this movie will go. I was a big DB fan back when I was teenager, but I slowly lost interest.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#13 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I'm not so sure about this... It didn't say that Toriyama was directing or writing, just that he is somehow involved.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#14 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Oh Toriyama how you continue to tease us. I just want him to redo a new series already. Having to watch Kai's opening and endings was horrible, plus the Shonen special that was a few years back. Dragon Ball Gt was just an abomination, and it would be nice to just scrap it and make a much better conclusion after Z. I'm really looking forward to think and it comes out just two days after my 13yr anniversary with John. We started talking because of Dragon ball and then we name our son Kaiden so he can be called Kai for short, then a few months after we picked his name we learned about DBZ Kai....yeah so I defiantly care about anything DB related! It really has been a huge part of my life since I was 12.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#15 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (Konohakitten @ Jul 11 2012, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh Toriyama how you continue to tease us. I just want him to redo a new series already. Having to watch Kai's opening and endings was horrible, plus the Shonen special that was a few years back. Dragon Ball Gt was just an abomination, and it would be nice to just scrap it and make a much better conclusion after Z. I'm really looking forward to think and it comes out just two days after my 13yr anniversary with John. We started talking because of Dragon ball and then we name our son Kaiden so he can be called Kai for short, then a few months after we picked his name we learned about DBZ Kai....yeah so I defiantly care about anything DB related! It really has been a huge part of my life since I was 12.

I've liked a few of the more recent specials (the Bardock special, where Frieza's attack sent Bardock into the past making Bardock the "legendary" super-saiyan, and the "Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!" OAV (because the anime people used Gohan and Videl's DBZ characterizations, and not the DBGT characterization that, well, turned Gohan into even more of a wimp and made it so Videl wasn't like Videl at all. Oh, and I loved Vegita's little brother and sister-in-law)), and there have been definite hints of a DBZ (and not DBGT) revival thanks to DBZ-Kai. I just hope that if they do redo a new series, they really do ignore GT canon and don't try to integrate a new series into GT.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#16 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Jul 12 2012, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Feeling old? Because Toriyama and Takeuchi are being active again? Not at all. After all, Go Nagai and Reiji Matsumoto are still active and making newer stuff.

When I hear someone saying "Slayers? Wait, now I remember. I used to watch it when I was a little kid," treating Ranma, Inu Yasha or Detective Conan like if they were older than dirt or giving me a blank stare if I mention Kimagure Orange Road, City Hunter, Fist of NorthStar or GoLion (Voltron) I feel old.

I am thirty-one and most of series I like tend to be old classics, so the latter may happen more frequently than I would like.

Geez, I watched DB for first time around 1991-1992, so I would be not older than twelve.

I am not sure of how this movie will go. I was a big DB fan back when I was teenager, but I slowly lost interest.

True, true. Very true (to the bolded) sleep.gif but I doubt DBZ would ever be cast into the void of time, considering it's the most influential manga ever.

Edited by Codus N, 12 July 2012 - 03:02 AM.

248793.jpg

#17 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jul 11 2012, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*grins* I'll always be young at heart! I'm 30 and I don't feel old at all~ :3

WOW. I REMEMBER WHEN YOU WERE 25-26. UGH I'M OLD TOO. HAHAHA

Anyway, This is great news! After that Son-Goku and Friends special, and the new Bardock OVA, A new DB movie is great!

#18 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Jul 12 2012, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW. I REMEMBER WHEN YOU WERE 25-26. UGH I'M OLD TOO. HAHAHA

Anyway, This is great news! After that Son-Goku and Friends special, and the new Bardock OVA, A new DB movie is great!

Just goes to show we've known each other for a long time, Jobum~ ;3 <3

And I would actually love it if they did a whole new DBZ series~ Also GT does not exist to me. In fact to most of the fandom it is just an utter utter embarrassment that should never have been made -.-

#19 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

True, true. Very true (to the bolded) but I doubt DBZ would ever be cast into the void of time, considering it's the most influential manga ever.

The most influential manga ever? I don't think so. I would say Shin Takarajima, Osamu Tezuka's first big success. It basically is a children's story based on Treasure's Island and other sources (such like Tarzan's comic-books), and today it would not stand out (Tezuka opposed himself to it being re-released thinking it would be not of interest for younger readers), but it was completely revolutionary in the moment since it was long -nearly two-hundred pages-, story-driven -instead of a collection of short gags-, it showed for first time manga could be used to narrate all kind of stories in all kind og genres (adventure, romance...), and it sold phenomenally. It encouraged one whole generation of Japanese manga writers to create their own manga inspired by Tezuka's stories, and in turn they influenced all next generations. Hence, even if that manga would not stand out today (I have read it and I own one copy. It is entertaining, but certainly I would call not it the best thing ever), it is one of the reasons the manga industry like we know it exists.

Anyways I agree: Dragon Ball will not be forgotten. All generations of children in my country have grown up watching Goku and his friends' adventures.

Nevertheless, I don't think the shows I mentioned will be cast in the void, either. They are series were counted like some of the best of its time, so if someone is interested in reading or learning further about classic manga, it is easy that person will come across them sooner or later.

Oh Toriyama how you continue to tease us. I just want him to redo a new series already.

IMO, Dragon Ball should have ended long before the Buu saga. But that is another matter.

And I would actually love it if they did a whole new DBZ series~ Also GT does not exist to me. In fact to most of the fandom it is just an utter utter embarrassment that should never have been made -.-

GT? What is that GT thing you keep mentioning? I have never heard about it. rolleyes.gif

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#20 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Ok, maybe I should've said the most influential shonen manga.

248793.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users