The Disappearing H&E Cookie

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

I've had this problem for the past week, and I'm at a loss.

Every time I close Firefox (ver. 3.5.5), my H&E log-in cookie disappears so I have to log-in again next time I visit!

The strange thing is, none of my other log-in cookies are affected. I haven't tried it with IE/Chrome yet to see if the cookie problem is on my end or on H&E's server, but I'll do that after I post this.

Is anyone else having this problem?

#2 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

Well I have my browser set so it automatically clears everything once I close it, but have you tried checking your settings?

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Exceptions -> allow H&E during session or every time.

EDIT: I was also lead to believe there was a real cookie as well. Now I'm hungry hm.png

#3 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Thanks True, I've double-checked the settings and now added H&E to the Cookie Exceptions list as Allow.

The really weird thing is, it only seems to lose the cookie after I've shut down my PC. If I close Firefox, then open it again during the same PC session, it keeps my H&E cookie. But after I shut down my PC, the cookie is gone.

I've got to go to work now, hopefully the settings will have done the trick!

If it works, I'll offer you a real cookie. tongue.gif

#4 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

Shauna had the same problem a couple of weeks back and it happened on her Firefox. Now normally, I stick with Safari because it saved my log-in cookies until I deleted them for increase free space. IE7 used to had that problem with me but now, since I updated to Version 8, its fine.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#5 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

Yeah I don't know about restarting your PC and then it doesn't keep your settings. I assume your fire fox should be unaffected, but I guess you just have to do some trial and error and see what works.

*Takes cookie out of H&E jar*

#6 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

---> http://www.narusaku....i...&hl=firefox

The problem hasn't gone away despite mounting frustration, and trying numerous 'fixes'. So, I've just learned to live with the issue dry.gif

Oh, and Google Chrome has the same issues -.-

#7 blindeye

blindeye

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:00 AM

I've had the same issue here. My log in problems started a week ago as well.
My other log on cookies are fine too.

Edit: I remembered another problem I started having, its with Facebook. Recently Firefox/Facebook has stopped remembering to put my email and password into the log on input fields on the Facebook main page. Also, I have to click on "View Live Feed" every time I log on instead of Facebook remembering like it used to. I don't know if these problems are from Firefox or Facebook, but I thought they might be relevant because they started occurring within the past week.

Edited by blindeye, 12 November 2009 - 02:34 AM.

#8 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (blindeye @ Nov 11 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edit: I remembered another problem I started having, its with Facebook. Recently Firefox/Facebook has stopped remembering to put my email and password into the log on input fields on the Facebook main page. Also, I have to click on "View Live Feed" every time I log on instead of Facebook remembering like it used to. I don't know if these problems are from Firefox or Facebook, but I thought they might be relevant because they started occurring within the past week.

I don't exactly have that log in issue that you guys seem to be experiencing, though I've been facing the same problem with blindeye for facebook for a while now. Then again, that option wasn't one I saw until recently and it never keeps my settings even though it logs me into forums and whatever perfectly fine...

Are you guys using the new firefox? Is it a firefox issue? Then again, Sakura-jie mentioned something about chrome having the same issues as well... and I haven't used IE in a long time unless it was absolutely necessary.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#9 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

Damn, the settings didn't do the trick.

Blindeye, when you mentioned your e-mail/pass problem, I just remembered that Firefox hasn't been putting in my log-in and pass.

Since we all had our various problems within the past week or two, I'm guessing it's a Firefox problem. Google throws up plenty of threads where people keep getting logged out of random websites. :\

#10 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

I have the same version of Firefox (3.5.5) and have none of those cookie problems. Are you using a lot of plugins? I only use 3, AdBlock Plus, NoScript, and McAfee SiteAdvisor. No cookie problems for me.

I'm also still using Windows XP, so I dunno if that has anything to do with it.

#11 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

I use:

Adblock Plus
British English Dictionary
ColorZilla
Download Statusbar
Stylish
Total Validator
Web Developer

All are fully updated, and I use Windows Vista (also fully updated).

I thought I would experiment with "Save and Quit" (when you quit with 2 or more tabs open), to see if it made any difference. It didn't even remember to re-open the tabs when I booted up Firefox the next time. It's like Firefox's session memory isn't being saved properly so it gets erased when I turn my PC off.

*considers IE or Opera* I'll try logging in with IE in a minute, then see if that remembers my login when I turn my PC on in the morning.

#12 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:55 PM

Windows Vista?

That's supposed to have added security, but it's a bit buggy. Maybe it's being too helpful. Is that what you're using, Shauna?

#13 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

IE just crashed and ATE a nice long reply I had been typing for the "What if NaruSaku doesn't happen?" topic. th_cussing.gif

*downloads Opera* I already miss Firefox... I feel like just putting up with the log-in bug until they fix it.

#14 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Nov 12 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the same version of Firefox (3.5.5) and have none of those cookie problems. Are you using a lot of plugins? I only use 3, AdBlock Plus, NoScript, and McAfee SiteAdvisor. No cookie problems for me.

I'm also still using Windows XP, so I dunno if that has anything to do with it.

That's really strange... I'm using the same version of firefox (3.5.5) and I have a ton of plug-ins... which I probably should clear up xD But the one thing that doesn't give me the same problem as you guys is that like Paradox Jast, I'm still using Windows XP. I haven't been on my laptop with Vista in a while, so I haven't noticed the problem. Could Vista be the problem?

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#15 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Onionhead Attacks @ Nov 12 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could Vista be the problem?

I've never had Vista, and this log-in problem happens on my laptop at home and the desktop I use at work, and they both run on XP

QUOTE (Smiter @ Nov 12 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I already miss Firefox... I feel like just putting up with the log-in bug until they fix it.

That is what I've had to do for the last 9 months when this problem started for me sleep.gif

#16 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

I think it might be Vista. I just started up my PC again, and even IE has forgotten the log-in cookie!

This is such a weird problem. Shauna doesn't have Vista, and she's been having the problem for 9 months. I can't seem to see what could be causing all of our problems.

I've got to go to work now, but I'll try logging in with my netbook tomorrow (it runs on XP). If it works just fine, I'll consider wiping and re-installing Firefox on the desktop, see if that fixes it.

#17 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Nov 12 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll consider wiping and re-installing Firefox on the desktop, see if that fixes it.

I've tried doing that as well, as well as deleting and re-installing my addons. Also tried every suggestion made in this link:

http://forums.mozill...h...38&t=905325

None have even remotely worked for me. I wish you better luck than I've had in resolving this issue, and if you *do* find a solution lemme know. I could sure use it -.-

#18 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

I'll just give a quick example as to my setup, so you can compare and see if there are any differences.

Tools -> Options -> Privacy
I have mine set to 'Firefox will remember history', though if I go into detailed/custom view:

'Accept Cookies from sites' is checked.
'Accept third party cookies' is checked.
Keep cookies until: 'they expire'.

I have no exceptions set.

On the Tools -> Options -> Security tab, I have it set to remember my passwords.

I have no antivirus/antimalware programs that run on my computer. I use NoScript, and haven't had any malware or viruses in the year+ that I've been using it. Not one. NoScript stops everything 'scripted' from running on a website unless you allow it. Between it and AdBlock Plus, I have no problems at all.

I have Firefox keep my history for 90 days, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The only other suggestion I have is to get the little program called HijackThis and take a look at your system processes... make sure there isn't anything running that you don't think should be running.

If none of that works, I can't really think of anything else. =/

#19 Froot

Froot

She's Certainly a Hurricane

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:46 PM

Um, I'm not sure if this is related at all, but everytime I try to log in, it takes me back to the login screen. I'd checked and double-checked and triple-checked (and quadruple-checked) to make sure I'm typing everything right, but still nothing. Then, when, by some off chance, I do manage to login sucessfully, it logs me back out everytime I navigate to a new page or refresh.

However, everything works perfectly fine when I use my mobile. So sorry I can't be any help. I'm like a caveman when it comes to technology :\

#20 Shadow-kun

Shadow-kun

Sage Wolf

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:45 PM

I've been having this cookie problem for over a week now and only on this site. It's really annoying. dry.gif

Visit my cute Dragons!

Spreading the Horoism!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users