#21 Tsunade

Tsunade

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Interests:People.

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:08 AM

@ all the Pat Robertson crap - OMG ROFLOLOLOLOL.... I seriously haven't had that good of a laugh IN DAYS. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD That has got to be the funniest kitten ever.

Oh an on topic, if anyone has a gaiaonline account and would like to donate to the red cross to help those in Haiti you can donate [HERE] and Gaia will match whatever you donate. :3

Edited by Tsunade, 16 January 2010 - 03:09 AM.

Tsu.gif

#22 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Jan 15 2010, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I'm the one that believes some things happen because God willed it. But..... this..... is completely out of proportion. Who is he to accuse people like that??? & besides, if people learn to take lessons from misfortunes/disasters something good will come out of it. I'll explain.... I believe God wants to do something for example... & the aftermath of HIS decision, he leaves it to the human hands.... it's basically like a "take it or leave it" kind of deal. Example: The Aceh Tsunami. The Acehnese had been fighting against the government for over 3 decades. Then Aceh was given a truly terrible disaster, but God gave them a choice... suffer or make peace with the government. As a result, a peace treaty was formed. So, as you can see sometimes something good comes out of disasters. The whole point is, the Acehnese learned a lesson from the disaster & thus created something good out of it. As for this man, he accused without any basis of fact.

But the Acehnese were not harming anyone...natural disasters are common, they have been with us for millions of years, even before man even existed...Tsunamis, volcanoes, floods, and earthquakes are parts of Earth existence, way before people, and way after people.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#23 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

The USA is sending 10,000 troops to Haiti

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 16 January 2010 - 11:51 PM.

#24 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:I like writing, reading, working out, and being online. :3

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

The best anyone can do right now is donating money or at least trying to spread the word. Whether it's by texting 'Haiti' to 90999 or going to a local designated spot for donations like clothes & water, it's doing something.

#25 Strangelove

Strangelove

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Jan 16 2010, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, despite what the world thinks...America has always been a first respondent whenever catastrophe happens, even to countries we might not agree with...

#26 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:03 PM

Good blog posts by a blogger friend of mine on the history of Haiti, what's happening now, and what we should do:

http://www.reclusive...lem-with-haiti/

read the links at the bottom of this first blog post too for even more information.

(I noticed Hillary Clinton mentioned this history as well in her press conference and interviews the past couple of days as well, stating we owe Haiti aide not just because it's the humanitarian thing to do but because of that past.)

http://www.reclusive...evacuate-haiti/
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#27 demonfox04

demonfox04

The Don - 'Nuff Said

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 17 2010, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good blog posts by a blogger friend of mine on the history of Haiti, what's happening now, and what we should do:

read the links at the bottom of this first blog post too for even more information.

(I noticed Hillary Clinton mentioned this history as well in her press conference and interviews the past couple of days as well, stating we owe Haiti aide not just because it's the humanitarian thing to do but because of that past.)

Awesome stuff. I'm trying to organize a fundraising event on my campus & get local artists to come out to perform with all donations going to Haiti. Hopefully, I'll be able to do it.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now, you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

Whether 1 and 15 or 15 and 1, Superbowl or Toiletbowl...those are my Boys. Ain't no bandwagon here. GO COWBOYS!!!

#28 Strangelove

Strangelove

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jan 17 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your putting things from the far left...and supporting the evacuation of Haitians from their home...evacuate where? to the United States? You know, like force them out of their homes, and into American society? We do not have the resources to take care of those people, i know where your coming from, but the purpose of Haiti was to have a black free country from French rule, it was the first nation in which rebellion was that of Slaves.

Oh and national borders...are use to protect national sovereignty, it is not use to keep the poor out, and the rich in...every country in the world has poor and rich, some more than others. Only Haitians can help Haiti, as harsh as it sounds, only they can decide the future of their country.

Through the history of the poor nations, it has always been, bad management of government, followed by aid from foreign nations, followed by a decrease in trust in the economy, and finally being followed by corruption. Just look at Africa, and you'll see, that all the Aid that Western Powers sent to them has been used for corrupted purposes rather than fighting poverty.

How do you fight poverty? Education, health, and infrastructure financed by businesses and trade. As businesses grow, the more money they pour into the economy, whether is by wages, or taxes. That money is then use to increase the quality of education, health, and infrastructure...but aid eliminates the need for the private sector, which in turn eliminates govt revenue, which in turn lowers the quality of health, education, and infrastructure.

The tragedy in Haiti was a sad one, but if the govt had focused on increasing the quality of its infrastructure, rather than keeping houses unsafe, then the roofs wouldn't have collapsed on their heads.

Edited by Strangelove, 18 January 2010 - 01:03 AM.

#29 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Jan 16 2010, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the Acehnese were not harming anyone...natural disasters are common, they have been with us for millions of years, even before man even existed...Tsunamis, volcanoes, floods, and earthquakes are parts of Earth existence, way before people, and way after people.

Ok, maybe some of them... (GAM, specifically) but they did cause restlessness in the region & some innocent bystanders did die. Most of the people wanted to stop the conflict but GAM had a lot of influence which made it difficult to move. Only after the Tsunami happened did the Acehnese start pressuring them to form a treaty. So, basically God wanted them to make peace/give them an opening to push the initiative to make a treaty. This proves there's sometimes a good reason for disasters. I hope something good also happens from all of this.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#30 Strangelove

Strangelove

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Jan 18 2010, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, maybe some of them... (GAM, specifically) but they did cause restlessness in the region & some innocent bystanders did die. Most of the people wanted to stop the conflict but GAM had a lot of influence which made it difficult to move. Only after the Tsunami happened did the Acehnese start pressuring them to form a treaty. So, basically God wanted them to make peace/give them an opening to push the initiative to make a treaty. This proves there's sometimes a good reason for disasters. I hope something good also happens from all of this.

Well...if God was like that? Why haven't it happen with the Sudan/Darfur region, or the Soonis and Shiats...natural disasters just happen, you just have to be unfortunate enough to be in the middle of one while it happens.

#31 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:43 AM

Death toll has gone up to 200,000

shamefulcry0js.gif

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 19 January 2010 - 02:13 AM.

#32 Guest_SS3 Goku_*

Guest_SS3 Goku_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:45 AM

it really is a shame for people you never know what life has instore

#33 Strangelove

Strangelove

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Jan 19 2010, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DDD:

#34 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE (Dark @ Jan 16 2010, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best anyone can do right now is donating money or at least trying to spread the word. Whether it's by texting 'Haiti' to 90999 or going to a local designated spot for donations like clothes & water, it's doing something.

In addition to spreading the word about local places to donate clothes or the texting HAITI idea (I love how much coverage it's gotten.), you can also write to your congressman or senator and urge more action from the US. We've sent in troops to help with peacekeeping and aid distribution, but I think we've only given $100 million in monetary aid and that's way insufficient, particularly when it comes to all the rebuilding that will be needed.

#35 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Jan 19 2010, 05:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well...if God was like that? Why haven't it happen with the Sudan/Darfur region, or the Soonis and Shiats...natural disasters just happen, you just have to be unfortunate enough to be in the middle of one while it happens.

Ok, point taken. Wow, it's gone up to 200.000??? yeesh that's practically a destroyed country there..... from the looks of this, I wouldn't be surprised if there was mass emigration from all over the country.

248793.jpg

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#36 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

To where?

It's already the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. A third of the population is in Port-au-Prince, the most devastated area, but it's not like the rest of the country is in any kind of condition to be taking in refugees. Haitians had been coming in from the countryside to Port-au-Prince because the conditions were so horrible out there.

#37 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

To just about everywhere in the world. Kinda like the Jews in the ancient past.

248793.jpg

#38 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

It takes money to pull up your stakes and move and most nations aren't going to be too inclined to take in a large refugee population with a language barrier and that has little means of supporting itself. Those nations would rather pour money into fixing Haiti (or pretend that they're fixing Haiti). More Haitians will probably try to move to the Dominican Republic, but they've already been getting rebuffed in that.

#39 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

It really is terrible what happened down there. I need to donate either money or clothes sometime soon, even though I don't have much. I think the US will donate more, can't say when or how much, but I'm sure it will happen. At least we're not like China, which donated....1 million.

As for Pat Robertson, don't pay attention to him; he says things like this all the time. He agreed with Jerry Falwell that we brought 9/11 on ourselves due to moral decline, that God was punishing Indonesia with the Tsunami, that a nuclear explosion would be good for us...I still cannot imagine why this guy would still have his own show on ABC Family.

Just ignore him, say "Sure, gramps rolleyes.gif " and just warn him that the afterlife for him is experiencing a slight warming trend.

#40 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

Unbelievable! Another major quake has just hit Haiti D:

They just can't seem to catch a break sleep.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users