7 replies to this topic

#1 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

Gambling on an original movie?? I know Square released Advent Children & it was awesome. I had a debate about this with my friend & he disagrees. He said Pixar & Dreamworks are too monopolizing it, therefore there's no way they can break through the market. Plus, Advent children's profits was lower than expected. But I told him that they should try doing a completely original movie & if they do that, they can achieve what Advent children couldn't. He said the production costs would be too high to create something on the level of Advent Children. But I told him if Cameron could gamble big and be successful with Avatar, why not??

What do you guys think?

Edited by Newkerz, 20 June 2010 - 09:01 AM.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#2 KungFuTruffle

KungFuTruffle

Whee!

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Reading<br />Video Games

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

Square, at least, already made a movie. It was kitten.

Besides, damn near every RPG released in the last ten years has been nothing but a 40 hour long movie.

#3 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (KungFuTruffle @ Jun 20 2010, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Besides, damn near every RPG released in the last ten years has been nothing but a 40 hour long movie.

Disagree with the bold. As for Advent Children becoming a movie, i have doubts James Cameron would do Final Fantasy but your is as good as mine.

#4 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Jun 20 2010, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gambling on an original movie?? I know Square released Advent Children & it was awesome. I had a debate about this with my friend & he disagrees. He said Pixar & Dreamworks are too monopolizing it, therefore there's no way they can break through the market. Plus, Advent children's profits was lower than expected. But I told him that they should try doing a completely original movie & if they do that, they can achieve what Advent children couldn't. He said the production costs would be too high to create something on the level of Advent Children. But I told him if Cameron could gamble big and be successful with Avatar, why not??

What do you guys think?

The DVD release of Advent Children sold over 420,000 copies in Japan in its first week, which was 93% of all published copies at the time. In 2006, Square Enix and Sony announced that the English language DVD and UMD releases combined had sold over 1.4 million units worldwide. Only 100,000 of these sales were in Europe, while the rest was sold in America and Australia. Combined with the Japanese sales, Advent Children had sold over 2.4 million copies. The DVD ranked a "surprise" #2 during its first week in Nielsen VideoScan. Nielsen later made a survey named "Top Selling Anime Releases of 2006" and Advent Children ranked at the top. The film achieved number one on Amazon.com's "Top Sellers" page days before the North American DVD release.[citation needed] In an Oricon poll from 2005, the regular edition from the DVD ranked as the 12th DVD best-selling from Japan with a total of 209,759 copies sold. The limited edition ranked 15th with 202,793 copies sold. In a 2006 survey by the Japan External Trade Organization, the DVD ranked as the top best selling Japanese anime DVD in the United States. In the consecutive 2007 poll, the DVD stayed 10th. During its release week, the Blu-ray Disc format of the film #2 bestselling Blu-ray Disc. In its first day of release, over 100,000 copies of Advent Children's Blu-ray Discs were sold in Japan. According to the retail news source ICv2, Advent Children was one of the top three anime properties in North America during 2007. In ICv2's Top Ten Anime Properties from 2006, Advent Children was featured at the top.[31] During 2009, the Blu-ray Disc from Advent Children Complete sold 49,000 units in Japan ranking 2nd in the category "Animation/Special Effects Blu-ray Discs" from Oricon's survey "2009's Top-Selling Blu-ray Discs in Japan (Overall)". It also ranked 8th in the category "Overall Blu-ray Discs, by Yen" with 310 million yen (US$3.4 million) sold in 2009.

Hmm....I think your friend needs to check his facts.

Me personally, I'd like to see a brand new CGI by the guys that developed Advent Children, even if it's not final fantasy related. And also tell your friend that Pixar and Dream Works might corner the market now, but Happy Feet seemed to do just fine. So it is possible.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#5 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

The problems with Spirits Within were:

a- Mainstream America wasn't ready for realistic CGI, and especially considering that the hardware at the time made realistic-looking models but couldn't portray that certain something that makes them lifelike - instead landing in "slightly creepy" territory.

b- The only real ties to Final Fantasy were Doctor Sid and Gaia.

I think another try from Squeenix might do well, but considering how badly things went last time I can't blame them for not thinking about it. If they DID make a movie of one of their properties I vote for Parasite Eve.
QUOTE ("Down Goes Brown")
(For the younger readers, "HMV" and "Sam The Record Man" were record stores.)

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#6 KungFuTruffle

KungFuTruffle

Whee!

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Reading<br />Video Games

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (Jwolf0 @ Jun 20 2010, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problems with Spirits Within were:

a- Mainstream America wasn't ready for realistic CGI, and especially considering that the hardware at the time made realistic-looking models but couldn't portray that certain something that makes them lifelike - instead landing in "slightly creepy" territory.

b- The only real ties to Final Fantasy were Doctor Sid and Gaia.

I think another try from Squeenix might do well, but considering how badly things went last time I can't blame them for not thinking about it. If they DID make a movie of one of their properties I vote for Parasite Eve.

There's already a Parasite Eve movie. It's based on the original novel, though, not the game.

#7 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (KungFuTruffle @ Jun 20 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I meant was something not FF related...

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ Jun 21 2010, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The DVD release of Advent Children sold over 420,000 copies in Japan in its first week, which was 93% of all published copies at the time. In 2006, Square Enix and Sony announced that the English language DVD and UMD releases combined had sold over 1.4 million units worldwide. Only 100,000 of these sales were in Europe, while the rest was sold in America and Australia. Combined with the Japanese sales, Advent Children had sold over 2.4 million copies. The DVD ranked a "surprise" #2 during its first week in Nielsen VideoScan. Nielsen later made a survey named "Top Selling Anime Releases of 2006" and Advent Children ranked at the top. The film achieved number one on Amazon.com's "Top Sellers" page days before the North American DVD release.[citation needed] In an Oricon poll from 2005, the regular edition from the DVD ranked as the 12th DVD best-selling from Japan with a total of 209,759 copies sold. The limited edition ranked 15th with 202,793 copies sold. In a 2006 survey by the Japan External Trade Organization, the DVD ranked as the top best selling Japanese anime DVD in the United States. In the consecutive 2007 poll, the DVD stayed 10th. During its release week, the Blu-ray Disc format of the film #2 bestselling Blu-ray Disc. In its first day of release, over 100,000 copies of Advent Children's Blu-ray Discs were sold in Japan. According to the retail news source ICv2, Advent Children was one of the top three anime properties in North America during 2007. In ICv2's Top Ten Anime Properties from 2006, Advent Children was featured at the top.[31] During 2009, the Blu-ray Disc from Advent Children Complete sold 49,000 units in Japan ranking 2nd in the category "Animation/Special Effects Blu-ray Discs" from Oricon's survey "2009's Top-Selling Blu-ray Discs in Japan (Overall)". It also ranked 8th in the category "Overall Blu-ray Discs, by Yen" with 310 million yen (US$3.4 million) sold in 2009.

Hmm....I think your friend needs to check his facts.

Me personally, I'd like to see a brand new CGI by the guys that developed Advent Children, even if it's not final fantasy related. And also tell your friend that Pixar and Dream Works might corner the market now, but Happy Feet seemed to do just fine. So it is possible.

How much was the production costs for it? he said the sales were lower than the production costs.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#8 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Jun 22 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I meant was something not FF related...

How much was the production costs for it? he said the sales were lower than the production costs.

I honestly can't find that amount but reason dictates that, if it was a commercial flop like your friend was stating that they wouldn't a few years later bring out an extended "Complete" version, of the same movie.

For instance, you don't see a "Complete" Version of FF: Spirits Within.

Edited by No WhereMan, 22 June 2010 - 09:28 PM.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users