• This topic is locked This topic is locked
96 replies to this topic

#21 StrawberryAcappella

StrawberryAcappella

If you can’t convince them, confuse them

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:A lot of fandom shiznit. I literally just read fanfiction and search the internet for fandom related things all day, even at school on my phone. My current love is Sherlock, but my long time love is Naruto. When im not doing what im supposed to im also practicing something musical~ because the classical variety of music making is tiresome...

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:55 AM

there have just been too many "Predicted ends" for me to believe this, so i won't count on anything too big happening.
My Awesome Birthday Banner My friend Made me!!!!

#22 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:23 AM

the very next day i will turn 22, so figure id have this luck. you're all invited to my birthday party in oblivion
\

#23 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

"Hey Chiquito. Look at these foreigners! They actually believe in what we say! I mean. Dude! We murdered our own people out of drugged state and shoved needles up our butts! Dude, wait up. Hey Enrique! Make a rune for these weirdos to read. Okay. You got the rock and pike ready? Okay. Write by the time of 07-25-2009 , everyone is going to feel attracted to spikey, shiny things. Perfect! Now we wait. It's gonna take at least 1,000 years. But man. Once they start killing themselves it's gonna be worth it. I can feel it. "

" Also. I burp at your general direction as the picture shows. "

People, please. If you want I'll bet you 5,000,000 dollars , that 12-21-12 is nothing more then some astrology happening. Maybe Pluto will stop being a weirdo and actually have a straight orbit! Or maybe fungi will grow from your nose.

...hmm..fungi.

#24 The Sincerities

The Sincerities

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Yakatsu @ Jul 25 2009, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Hey Chiquito. Look at these foreigners! They actually believe in what we say! I mean. Dude! We murdered our own people out of drugged state and shoved needles up our butts! Dude, wait up. Hey Enrique! Make a rune for these weirdos to read. Okay. You got the rock and pike ready? Okay. Write by the time of 07-25-2009 , everyone is going to feel attracted to spikey, shiny things. Perfect! Now we wait. It's gonna take at least 1,000 years. But man. Once they start killing themselves it's gonna be worth it. I can feel it. "

" Also. I burp at your general direction as the picture shows. "

People, please. If you want I'll bet you 5,000,000 dollars , that 12-21-12 is nothing more then some astrology happening. Maybe Pluto will stop being a weirdo and actually have a straight orbit! Or maybe fungi will grow from your nose.

...hmm..fungi.

xD Fungi! I do remember the 2000 prediction. Never did happen and we're still here...

#25 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (FoxxSpirit @ Jul 25 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
xD Fungi! I do remember the 2000 prediction. Never did happen and we're still here...

Funny thing is, my old desktop computer ACTUALLY got hit by a major virus on the day of Y2K. We left it on for the night, and it pretty much got wonky and funky on us.

#26 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

You, know the only thing that happen on Y2K, was that the computers reset to 1900...."

#27 Sakura~Kitsune

Sakura~Kitsune

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Location:The Forgotten Borough formerly known as Staten Island!
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Roleplaying, Magical Girls, Anime/Manga, Video Games, Music, Friends/Family, and Food!

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:38 PM

There have been many 'End Times' predictions for this planet of ours, and the speculations of 2012 continue to grow... but you can't help but find the whole thing interesting, actually. XD Predictions like this just make you wonder how deep people are going to look into it, and hope for the best that presumed 'fateful day'.

December 1999 was a fun month when living in Manhattan, actually. Lots of people on the street warning passing-bys that Y2K was coming. Although the only thing that happened around me that day, had to do with the elevators in my apartment building. They kept going up and down without stopping.

But they started working fine just an hour or two after midnight. XD
tumblr_n9ki6ltPXZ1qai1u2o1_500.gif

No matter how dark it is, you’re not alone you know?

The moonlight is shining on us

#28 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

Gotta thank the ancient Mayans for causing panic. :zaru

#29 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

I saw a thing on this, the major thing that scientist agree on is that on the winter solstice 2012, is that the solar system will cross the galactic equator. Now the thing they are worried about is what will happen to the earth's poles and such. Of course this will be a great event since it only happens once every 50,000 years. (which happens to correspond with the great extinctions...)
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#30 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Jul 26 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw a thing on this, the major thing that scientist agree on is that on the winter solstice 2012, is that the solar system will cross the galactic equator. Now the thing they are worried about is what will happen to the earth's poles and such. Of course this will be a great event since it only happens once every 50,000 years. (which happens to correspond with the great extinctions...)

I've heard about the poles reversing too. It could cause weather so extreme it would be like The Day After Tomorrow, only the weather wouldn't balance out after the storms die; There would really be a new ice age. That's the speculation, of course no one really knows for sure what happens to the weather when the poles switch, but there is fossil evidence of the poles switching many times in the earth's history and ice ages were seen to happen soon after.
There's a lot of other "what ifs" that go along with pole reversing such as airplane and sailing navigation.

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

#31 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (Nee-sama @ Jul 26 2009, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard about the poles reversing too. It could cause weather so extreme it would be like The Day After Tomorrow, only the weather wouldn't balance out after the storms die; There would really be a new ice age. That's the speculation, of course no one really knows for sure what happens to the weather when the poles switch, but there is fossil evidence of the poles switching many times in the earth's history and ice ages were seen to happen soon after.
There's a lot of other "what ifs" that go along with pole reversing such as airplane and sailing navigation.

...Er... I'm not sure where you got your information... but the Earth's poles will not reverse on 2012...

It's true that the poles wander and that they do actually flip... but this happens irregularly... last one was ~800,000 years ago. And it doesn't just happen instantly... it occurs over thousands of years. So even if the Earth was in the process of "flipping poles"... it's not something that will happen in our lifetime.

The sun however, reverses its poles every 11 years... I would have to check if this will occur in 2012... but I figure this may be what people may be incorrectly referring to when they say the poles are reversing. Of course, since this is on a 11-year cycle... nothing really dramatic happens when it does occur.

As for the solar system crossing the galactic equator in 2012... I'm pretty sure that's false as well.
Pretty bored.

#32 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

I understand that too, but what I don't understand is why people think the polar shift is coming in 2012. That makes absolutely -no sense-, considering most are enamored with Jesus, a Mayan ____, or an unspecified apocalypse destroying the world, basically anything but a perfectly understandable earthly cycle.

Every so often, the Earth under goes a polar shift. The South Pole will become the North Pole, and the North Pole will become the South. This has happened many times in the history of the planet, and will happen many more times. The shift will not bring about the end of the world, nor will it increase seismic activity. It has happened hundreds of times and none of those times coincided with an extinction event.
The sun however, reverses its poles every 11 years... I would have to check if this will occur in 2012... but I figure this may be what people may be incorrectly referring to when they say the poles are reversing. Of course, since this is on a 11-year cycle... nothing really dramatic happens when it does occur.

While I agree with you about the Sun's solar activity, I have to disagree on the timing. While it does enter a phase of near solar maximum every 11 years, or so, it is believed that the next one will be delayed. At this time, the Sun is going through a phase of near solar minimum. Unlike other "minimums", this one has been rather strange. Since 2001 (2001 being the last Solar Maximum), the Sun has been rather calm, with very very few ejections, flares and no sun spots. Because of this, Scientists believe that the next maximum will happen in 2013, not 2012.

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 26 July 2009 - 09:34 PM.

#33 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Jul 26 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1.)We are not due for a polar shift any time soon. A polar shift happens once every 400k yrs, or so, and the last one was too recent.

Sorry, I just wanted to correct you on this one thing... the last one was somewhere between 700,000 to 800,000 years ago. We're actually "overdue" for one.

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Jul 26 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I agree with you about the Sun's solar activity, I have to disagree on the timing. While it does enter a phase of near solar maximum every 11 years, or so, it is believed that the next one will be delayed. At this time, the Sun is going through a phase of near solar minimum. Unlike other "minimums", this one has been rather strange. Since 2001 (2001 being the last Solar Maximum), the Sun has been rather calm, with very very few ejections, flares and no sun spots. Because of this, Scientists believe that the next maximum will happen in 2013, not 2012.

Yeah, I wasn't completely sure on the timing... pretty sure I stated that in my post.

Edited by Unknown Entity, 26 July 2009 - 09:32 PM.

Pretty bored.

#34 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Jul 26 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, I just wanted to correct you on this one thing... the last one was somewhere between 700,000 to 800,000 years ago. We're actually "overdue" for one.

Thank you for this....."

#35 Tahaji

Tahaji

MoneyPenny

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

I was about to say the same thing, we are overdue for a polar shift, and quite frankly, I do think something with the earth's poles is bound to happen.

And its not a shift between north and south, its actually a 'tilt' the earths position in the gravitational pull of the sun changes. (At least, that's how I remember it being explained to me)

tahajiXcloud (MY AZN)

#36 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (Tahaji @ Jul 26 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was about to say the same thing, we are overdue for a polar shift, and quite frankly, I do think something with the earth's poles is bound to happen.

And its not a shift between north and south, its actually a 'tilt' the earths position in the gravitational pull of the sun changes. (At least, that's how I remember it being explained to me)

Actually no, that a tilt of the axises not a polar shift. See they are competently different xD...."

#37 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

I don't know if it'll happen in 2012 or not either, I didn't make that claim, just pointed out that I've heard it could happen. Like I said before all this is just speculation. I got my information from an Anthropology class discussion that was a couple years ago so it's all based on my choppy memory anyway. One thing I do remember for sure is that my teacher also mentioned that we are "overdue" for this kind of thing, but what's a couple hundred years in space time?

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

#38 Sora no Kitsune

Sora no Kitsune

Keyblade Master

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Manga/Anime - Naruto, FMA, ect.<br />Video Games - Kingdom Hearts, Metroid, LoL, Tera<br />Music - 2 Step from Hell, Rise Against, 30stm<br />Books - Inheritance Cycle (Eragon Series), Game of Thrones<br />Sports - DAGORHIR!!!!<br />

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Jul 26 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually no, that a tilt of the axises not a polar shift. See they are competently different xD...."

No Tahaji had it right. Since the poles are the ends of the axis, If the poles moved, then the axis would have to change as well. I found a paragraph on wikipedia confirming Tahaji's statement.

The pole shift hypothesis is the hypothesis that the axis of rotation of a planet has not always been at its present-day locations or that the axis will not persist there; in other words, that its physical poles had been or will be shifted. The Pole shift hypothesis is almost always discussed in the context of Earth, but other bodies in the Solar System may have experienced axial reorientation during their existences.

So if the poles shifted, so would the axis.

Get Chance and Luck!!~

#39 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Sora no Senshi @ Jul 26 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No Tahaji had it right. Since the poles are the ends of the axis, If the poles moved, then the axis would have to change as well. I found a paragraph on wikipedia confirming Tahaji's statement.

So if the poles shifted, so would the axis.

Ah, thank you Sora no Senshi I was misinformed or forgot xd ....."

#40 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:51 AM

Well I don't know if a polar shift and a polar tilt refer to the same thing, but I know I just saw a program on NatGeo the explained the current tilt of the axis(23 degrees or so) was caused when a proto-planet smacked into the proto-earth about 3.5-4 billion years ago. Thus forming the moon and causing other things that helped formed the current Earth. Granted I don't know how old the program was, so the theories may of changed by now.

All I know is that I heard of the poles shifting theory and the crossing of the galactic equator in 2012 on one of those science shows on either NatGeo, History, or Discovery. So I might have seen a couple of different shows and just got them jumbled. Personally the only major thing I can think that would happen would be the seasons being bass ackwards and the toilets would flush backwards to how you would normally seen them go.(clockwise/counter-clockwise)
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users