96 replies to this topic

#61 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

Let's keep religion out of this, shall we?

It always ruins discussion threads, since people get heated about their beliefs.

#62 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jul 27 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's keep religion out of this, shall we?

It always ruins discussion threads, since people get heated about their beliefs.

Please, it'd be nice to do so.

Personally I think this is just something that people panic about for no reason.

#63 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jul 27 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A decade really changes things.

I haven't seen the weather this hot 10 years ago, which means we're definitely screwing something up on this planet. The human race is the only race that makes permanent marks on the Earth.

Like every extinct species, some caused by us, some died naturally... we're slowly killing ourselves by killing our planet. Maybe the world won't end in 3 years, but it'll end some day by human hands.

Yeah, humans have made things tough on the planet and the ozone and everything, but I still believe that the planet will out-live our species...
there are still natural plagues and man-made virus' that can wipe out a lot of people in dense populations, not to mention the effects a drastic sea level rise or an ice age would cause. I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not. I just think that mother nature has her own way of fighting back.. and she'll be around more definitely than any species of mammal. All these marks we have left can potentially, and will eventually be reabsorbed/restored into the natural order of things. Whether you believe it comes from the hand of God or a naturally occurring process the truth of this can't be denied.

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

#64 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Sora no Senshi @ Jul 27 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah and then all the sea level areas such as Florida drown. Rising sea level is a bad thing. It needs to be worried about.

Yeah, but with enough warning, we could get people out of their so yeah..."

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 27 July 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#65 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Nee-sama @ Jul 27 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, humans have made things tough on the planet and the ozone and everything, but I still believe that the planet will out-live our species...
there are still natural plagues and man-made virus' that can wipe out a lot of people in dense populations, not to mention the effects a drastic sea level rise or an ice age would cause. I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not. I just think that mother nature has her own way of fighting back.. and she'll be around more definitely than any species of mammal. All these marks we have left can potentially, and will eventually be reabsorbed/restored into the natural order of things. Whether you believe it comes from the hand of God or a naturally occurring process the truth of this can't be denied.

I'm not going to agree/disagree with you on the point of the planet restoring itself by natural order after the (possible) extinction of humans... because you may be right or you may be wrong... it's something we won't be able to find out. I'm not going to agree/disagree with Cloud either... it's a possibility that we could destroy this planet with some sort of weapon... not saying it'll happen... but it's not right to completely deny the possibility.

All I'm saying is that... frankly, most people don't care what happens to the Earth if humans become extinct. When people say "we're destroying our planet", I would think that most of them are actually saying "we're destroying our ability to live on this planet". So arguments of "the planet will live on after us" doesn't really appease to (the majority of) people who are worried about things like global warming and other human effects.

Edited by Unknown Entity, 27 July 2009 - 08:23 PM.

Pretty bored.

#66 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:29 PM

^ Good point.
But it's probably that same indifference that contributes to the damage we make on the earth. Basically, it's an attitude that Humans are superior to everything else.

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

#67 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:35 AM

* Academic research do not indicate that the Maya attached any apocalyptic significance to the year 2012: the date for the end of their world lay unimaginable aeons of time in the future.
* John Major Jenkins's 'Galactic alignment' theory is based not only on a misleading astronomical claim, but in part on the same false calendrical premise.
* As to the Time wave Zero theory has never been published in a peer-reviewed journal and its sources and reasoning are primarily what would be considered numerological rather than mathematical, the theory has failed to gain any scientific credibility or much recognition by professional mathematicians and scientists.
* Professional astronomers ridicule the Nibiru collision theory, which is based on claimed 'channeling' by extraterrestrials.
* More academic research is needed into the claimed Hopi prophecy: it does not appear to mention the year 2012.[49]
* The Bible's Book of Revelation, composed some 1900 years ago, did indeed offer a dramatic picture of the end of the world—but it also promised that it would happen 'very soon'.[50] The Bible says nothing about 2012 or any similar date.
* The prophecy of the Tiburtine Sybil, as reproduced in the 16th century, did indeed likewise present a dramatic picture of the apocalypse, but did not date it, least of all to 2012.
* While the quatrains of Nostradamus are clearly intended to be read in a pre-apocalyptic context, they do not specifically mention (or, consequently, date) the end of the world: their Preface states that they are valid until the year 3797.
* The so-called Lost Book of Nostradamus is a version of the anonymous Vaticinia de summis pontificibus — a book of prophetic papal emblems dating from centuries before his time – and does not mention the year 2012.
* The Prophecies of Merlin were a fictional composition by the medieval Geoffrey of Monmouth, amplified in 13th-century Venice, and did not mention the year 2012.
* The original 1641 edition of The Prophecies of Mother Shipton says nothing at all about doomsday or the end of the world or, consequently, any proposed date for either.
* The alarmist claims of imminent doom made by Sony Pictures in their fictional publicity for the forthcoming film 2012 are not supported by reputable independent academic research.

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 05 August 2009 - 04:36 AM.

#68 Melancholy Vixen

Melancholy Vixen

I had a feeling

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

* Academic research do not indicate that the Maya attached any apocalyptic significance to the year 2012: the date for the end of their world lay unimaginable aeons of time in the future.
* John Major Jenkins's 'Galactic alignment' theory is based not only on a misleading astronomical claim, but in part on the same false calendrical premise.
* As to the Time wave Zero theory has never been published in a peer-reviewed journal and its sources and reasoning are primarily what would be considered numerological rather than mathematical, the theory has failed to gain any scientific credibility or much recognition by professional mathematicians and scientists.
* Professional astronomers ridicule the Nibiru collision theory, which is based on claimed 'channeling' by extraterrestrials.
* More academic research is needed into the claimed Hopi prophecy: it does not appear to mention the year 2012.[49]
* The Bible's Book of Revelation, composed some 1900 years ago, did indeed offer a dramatic picture of the end of the world—but it also promised that it would happen 'very soon'.[50] The Bible says nothing about 2012 or any similar date.
* The prophecy of the Tiburtine Sybil, as reproduced in the 16th century, did indeed likewise present a dramatic picture of the apocalypse, but did not date it, least of all to 2012.
* While the quatrains of Nostradamus are clearly intended to be read in a pre-apocalyptic context, they do not specifically mention (or, consequently, date) the end of the world: their Preface states that they are valid until the year 3797.
* The so-called Lost Book of Nostradamus is a version of the anonymous Vaticinia de summis pontificibus — a book of prophetic papal emblems dating from centuries before his time – and does not mention the year 2012.
* The Prophecies of Merlin were a fictional composition by the medieval Geoffrey of Monmouth, amplified in 13th-century Venice, and did not mention the year 2012.
* The original 1641 edition of The Prophecies of Mother Shipton says nothing at all about doomsday or the end of the world or, consequently, any proposed date for either.
* The alarmist claims of imminent doom made by Sony Pictures in their fictional publicity for the forthcoming film 2012 are not supported by reputable independent academic research.

Well, that about sums everything up and is enough for me. 8D

#69 NaruSaku93

NaruSaku93

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

i hope it wont be the end of the world.............. it feels like i havent lived for long. but on national geographic, i watched something about the aztecs or some ancient civilization creating a calender that told when future events were going to occur............. and they were always right. they said something about when the world was going to come to an end, but idk...........

idk if its some kind of superstious thing, but thought i might bring it up. idk whether i believe it or not, but just the thought that if there was such a calender and that they were never wrong about events, that kinda scares me.....................

#70 Sakura~Kitsune

Sakura~Kitsune

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Location:The Forgotten Borough formerly known as Staten Island!
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Roleplaying, Magical Girls, Anime/Manga, Video Games, Music, Friends/Family, and Food!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Well, many ancient civilizations (Mayans especially) and century-old prophets have predicted situations, good or bad, that would befall the world at a later and certain time, as we all already know. Some of these 'possible end times' predictions, per say, share some similarites to events that had taken place some time before. An example would be the September 11th attacks seeing as an ancient prophet once predicted the fall of two twin brothers (and the discovery channel people traced it to 2001 and such... but the prophet's name is one I can't remember). There are many different forms of the possible doom of the world, and there should be more to come as the years progress; theories of the new century bringing forth the end, 'The Omen' theory that caused some controversy in some places, and now 2012. The dates of most of the known "End of the World" predictions are clearly unknown which leads to people using common but sometimes a bit out there knowledge to try and put the missing pieces together, just to see when the planet will finally meet it's end. Seeing as most of these prophets and civilizations lived back in prehistoric / early century times, whose to know what actual year they were processing.

The whole situation of the Mayan Calendar whose ending welcomes the world into a "New World" does have some interesting points to it, but 2012 wasn't actually attached to it. It was the theories of what this calendar's ending meant which brought all of this together. So who's to know when the world going to end - I mean, it can happen any day even though I would rather not think like that. XD

Although all of this mumbo-jumbo (as I like to call it) is still pretty interesting and leaves you thinking. We're just going to have to wait for December 21, 2012 to see if this revelation is going to take place - if not, expect me wishing you all Happy Holidays and New Year the day after~
tumblr_n9ki6ltPXZ1qai1u2o1_500.gif

No matter how dark it is, you’re not alone you know?

The moonlight is shining on us

#71 Freakazoid

Freakazoid

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

I just look forward to all the buzz it'll create when the date gets close.

#72 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

I'll be laughing during January 1st, 2012.

The ancient civilizations of Earth were marveled for their intelligence and ability to create technologies not seen for the next few thousand years. The wheel, made in the Neolithic age was not seen again until the Mesopotamians "re-invented" it. They were also marveled for creating star maps, calendars and other structures that measured the stars and whatnot. These technologies were and are still a huge mystery.

Who made the Stonehenge? The Pyramids? Speculation is still ongoing, but it is the possible they're man made. But they never rule out the possibility of foreign life from other planets visiting Earth and creating these structures as a sign of their arrival.

The Mayans were excellent for star-gazing and their ability to build large pyramids and temples. But they were also wiped out, leaving little evidence of what they built. Whatever evidence we have, points to a large event happening in 2012. Whatever happens, will happen... but this Armageddon stuff? I wouldn't really count on it. We've had Armageddon foretold so many times. I know the world will end when an asteroid collides with Earth, but until then, 2012 will be a funny joke.

/rant

#73 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Jul 27 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And go...where exactly? huh.gif

You act like moving millions of displaced people is an easy thing. The country is already over-crowded as is, and people would rather not see their homes buried under X-amount feet of water. And then what about places like London? It will be underwater as well. And all the small Caribbean countries. Telling people to "not worry about it" is a fairly ignorant statement to make, I'm sorry to say.

#74 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Jul 27 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

K. You vs. the water speed.

AND GO!

*drowns and plays the Mario death music*

#75 Shadow-kun

Shadow-kun

Sage Wolf

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

Why worry about something u cannot control?

Visit my cute Dragons!

Spreading the Horoism!

#76 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (Shadow-kun @ Aug 11 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why worry about something u cannot control?

Because Global Warming is something that we've had the power to control for YEARS. And even though it's pretty much almost too late now, we can still attempt to control how bad it gets for us on our little planet here. What would you rather us do? Just...not worry about it? Not do anything? Just sit back, relax, turn our minds away from it all, and die? The human race has never been one to just sit back, and not try to control our own destiny. You call it 'worrying'. Most others call it giving a darn about what we're going to do to continue to live on this Earth.

#77 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Aug 11 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because Global Warming is something that we've had the power to control for YEARS. And even though it's pretty much almost too late now, we can still attempt to control how bad it gets for us on our little planet here. What would you rather us do? Just...not worry about it? Not do anything? Just sit back, relax, turn our minds away from it all, and die? The human race has never been one to just sit back, and not try to control our own destiny. You call it 'worrying'. Most others call it giving a darn about what we're going to do to continue to live on this Earth.

QFTMFT!!

Let's make sure our future generations actually have somewhere to live! rawr.gif

#78 Shadow-kun

Shadow-kun

Sage Wolf

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

I meant the prophecy thing that the world will magically end on 21.12.2012. If it really is something we cannot stop and I point out if then there is no point panicking about the inevitable.

Edited by Shadow-kun, 12 August 2009 - 08:46 PM.

Visit my cute Dragons!

Spreading the Horoism!

#79 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (Shadow-kun @ Aug 12 2009, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I meant the prophecy thing that the world will magically end on 21.12.2012. If it really is something we cannot stop and I point out if then there is no point panicking about the inevitable.

You inserted your question in the middle of a discussion about the oceans rising, without specifying who you were speaking with.

QUOTE (Sir Whirly @ Aug 11 2009, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QFTMFT!!

Let's make sure our future generations actually have somewhere to live! rawr.gif

Thanks! a_thumbs.gif

#80 Shadow-kun

Shadow-kun

Sage Wolf

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:29 PM

Oh! Sorry! sweatdrop.gif

Visit my cute Dragons!

Spreading the Horoism!

0 user(s) are reading this topic