• Please log in to reply
31562 replies to this topic

#27101 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

Not to mention how they're not even committing to the story, with the changes made from the original version of the movie by the anime. So, why should we follow this story if they're going to rewrite what was already written (...like Naruto was towards the end)?

Yeah absolutely. There's some serious fan trust issues here. Seriously - why wouldn't they screw over readers in the end? Makes it hard to get into the series...even if it was good!  :lol:

#27102 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

The problem is that, as a sequel series that was shoved in our face as "Naruto" was ending, you really CAN'T forget everything you know about Naruto because "Boruto" was clearly meant to literally be built off of "Naruto's" back in terms of its own narrative, not just because of being in the same general universe. You can't really watch it without knowing what happened before, especially since they have used stuff that was only ever really talked about in the previous series like the Rinnegan and such (even the movie, IIRC, doesn't even really explain much, which leads me to believe that the movie, and by extension, the sequel itself, assumes you're already a fan who knows at least the basics of it).

But even if you try to ignore the ending and look at "Boruto" by itself, Boruto the character himself quickly shows himself to a bratty, unlikable, and hypocritical character and the fact that he has no real good reason for doing so doesn't help. At least from my experience, at his age, a kid whose father works a lot would not hate him so much, but would actually, much like Naruto did as a kid with other people, be trying to get his attention, trying to get him to come home and such, otherwise try to be around him. If Boruto were in his mid-teens, then sure, I could probably understand, but only 10-12 or so? The hypocrisy coming from how he keeps saying he hates being seen as "the Hokage's son" and "young master" and such. If he had simply stopped there and actually tried to work to establish himself apart from his dad, like Itachi did from the rest of the Uchiha Clan, then perhaps impressions would have changed, but instead, he continued to spout such things while simultaneously taking advantage of the privileges that come with being the Hokage's son.

I don't hate Boruto (just) because of "Naruto's" ending, but because Boruto himself killed any likability he might have had, and everything else built up around him is just not really interesting. I'm not given any good reason to root for him or most of the others and to keep any close watch besides "they're the main characters", and even if Boruto and others were to become better people down the line, it clearly did not establish enough reason for us to experience that journey alongside them; they pushed us away from doing so at the beginning.

Not to mention how they're not even committing to the story, with the changes made from the original version of the movie by the anime. So, why should we follow this story if they're going to rewrite what was already written (...like Naruto was towards the end)?

Exactly. Boruto is  just a lazy half@$$ed rehash of everything that made Naruto grand in the first place with a cocky, "too cool for school" brat that has "severe daddy issues" and power-ups handed to him on a silver platter like "he is owed everything". It has none of the charm or tendency to be relate-able like Naruto had even though it is more realistic  as parental neglect is part of life but they go about it in the wrong way because "Brato must be in the same situation as his father all over again", and the feelings of abandonment by his father looks bad on them both because the son acts like an unreasonable whiner and the father could never be viewed as the type to neglect family considering he suffered all his life for not having having someone to love and care about him and no his job is not an excuse because again all previous Hokage showed to to have time for family if there is no crisis that affects the whole village and there is none at the start of Boruto and Nardo DOES have the means to to do his job and visit his wife and kids at the same time (kagebunshin, for the one hundred millionth time).

That said, I digress that that even though we can show distaste/dislike for Boruto if not outright hatred for what it represents I don't think any one can deny that it IS a great deal due to it being a continuation of Naruto. This is always the case for fictional media/entertainment, if a sequel does an absolute disservice to the thing it is continuing then there will always be comparisons to how it does not live up to the expectations placed on it because it is continuing something so beloved. You see it all the time with Movies for instance and video games. One prime Example I can bring up personally is comparing Tales of Symphonia to Tales of Symphonia 2- Dawn of the new World/Knight of Ratatoskr. On it's own, many state that Tales of Symphonia 2 is a pretty decent game on with its owm merits but that is only if you ignore how much better its predecessor was in both story, gameplay (in all but one aspect at least, but I won't explain in case there are those that never played it), and characters which you definitely can't because the original cast returns in that game as a painful reminder that this game is continuation of something that was far superior more or less. Anyway, the point is that you CAN always judge a piece of fiction and entertainment by its own merits which is a perfectly acceptable and fine way to view things objectively. But ultimately, if that piece of fiction/entertainment is continuing off something previously well loved you can't help but make comparisons if you ask me.

I personally think Boruto is a lousy snore fest on its own and is an ABYSMAL continuation of of one of the most popular and well known manga/anime series in the world 

Edited by Phantom_999, 20 February 2019 - 07:48 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#27103 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:02 AM

You know what? I've been watching Brotherhood the past month and let me tell you... I think it's one of the most well written animes of all time.  Right now, I am at season 2 and I gotta say it gets better each time I watch it. I will say my least favorite episode is this...

Seriously when I first I saw it, I wanted to go in there and kick his ass for what he did.  I also got emotional when Alphonse questioned if his soul is real or not. I also love the bonding between Al and Ed. It's way better than  Sasuke and Naruto. And Winry.... let's just say I want a wife like her.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#27104 KClaws_2

KClaws_2

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:09 AM

Downloaded the DMC 5 demo, and so far it's pretty enjoyable. New mechanics take getting used to, but still plays well once you know how to use it.

It's just one mission, and you can't upgrade or buy things, but it's rather cathartic if you had a bad day. Definitely not a bad deal for free.

Since the Sarada outfit controversy is going on again, I'll just say my piece on it. Yes, loli is a thing in Japan, but there is usually some sort of context to it. Like maybe the kid finds themselves in these adult situations/wants to be an adult, or it is simply the art style of the author. In Boruto, Sarada's outfit just seems completely out of place; there's no reason for her to have it, it serves no purpose in combat, and it's completely different from what came before. While Naruto has had it's share of attractive girls, they were all dressed up relatively sensibly (including Tsunade, which is saying a lot). I wouldn't really bat an eye if we were treated to a few fanservice shots in the original series (naked in the hotsprings, close ups of cleavage, etc), but this is such a radical change (among other things). Plus, with Loli characters from what I've seen (even in echii series), there was at least SOME subtlety in their sexualization.

It just comes off as poor taste. Yeah, that's entirely subjective, but maybe if they aged her up to at least 15 it would come off as slightly less creepy. It's really telling when not even the anime wants to adapt this

Apparently Foreverworld is having some form of mental breakdown. From what I hear, he is going around demanding people have sex with him.

Just for the record; no, I'm not looking into anymore detail beyond that. The two times I had listened to one of his videos has made is enough. I don't need to find a video or images of him asking for sex.

Isn't Forneverworld married?

#27105 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:28 AM

Exactly. Boruto is  just a lazy half@$$ed rehash of everything that made Naruto grand in the first place with a cocky, "too cool for school" brat that has "severe daddy issues" and everything handed to him on a silver platter like "he is owed everything". It has none of the charm or tendency to be relate-able like Naruto had even though it is more realistic  as parental neglect is part of life but they go about it in the wrong way because "Brato must be in the same situation as his father all over again", and the feelings of abandonment by his father looks bad on them both because the son acts like an unreasonable whiner and the father could never be viewed as the type to neglect family considering he suffered all his life for not having having someone to love and care about him and no his job is not an excuse because again all previous Hokage showed to to have time for family if there is no crisis that affects the whole village and there is none at the start of Boruto and Nardo DOES have the means to to do his job and visit his wife and kids at the same time (kagebunshin, for the one hundred millionth time).

That said, I digress that that even though we can show distaste/dislike for Boruto if not outright hatred for what it represents I don't think any one can deny that it IS a great deal due to it being a continuation of Naruto. This is always the case for fictional media/entertainment, if a sequel does an absolute disservice to the thing it is continuing then there will always be comparisons to how it does not live up to the expectations placed on it because it is continuing something so beloved. You see it all the time with Movies for instance and video games. One prime Example I can bring up personally is comparing Tales of Symphonia to Tales of Symphonia 2- Dawn of the new World/Knight of Ratatoskr. On it's own, many state that Tales of Symphonia 2 is a pretty decent game on with its owm merits but that is only if you ignore how much better its predecessor was in both story, gameplay (in all but one aspect at least, but I won't explain in case there are those that never played it), and characters which you definitely can't because the original cast returns in that game as a painful reminder that this game is continuation of something that was far superior more or less. Anyway, the point is that you CAN always judge a piece of fiction and entertainment by its own merits which is a perfectly acceptable and fine way to view things objectively. But ultimately, if that piece of fiction/entertainment is continuing off something previously well loved you can't help but make comparisons if you ask me.

I personally think Boruto is a lousy snore fest on its own and is an ABYSMAL continuation of of one of the most popular and well known manga/anime series in the world 

Yeah, while I liked Knights of Ratatoskr overall, there were definitely some bits of the story that made little sense, like Lloyd suddenly appearing and randomly attacking one of the locations the group traveled to in the previous game and yet NONE of the survivors who know him from the previous game even seem to consider the idea that something is off. Only the previous game party members seem to have any faith that Lloyd is innocent while Zelos has zero doubt about it, even almost getting into an altercation with Emil over his accusations of Lloyd. The stuff with Emil, Marta, Ratatoskr, and such just wasn't as interesting as the previous game. I probably would have preferred a sequel with Lloyd traveling around to gather up the remaining Exspheres.

A small bit I liked being Lloyd's nteractions with Sheena in Flanoir (if you built up the affection that way). After watching videos of the other (female) characters' scenes with him in Flanoir, there just seems to be more actual feeling between him and Sheena compared to the others. The others, while the things they say can be cute (like Presea - adorable, lol), they mostly just stand next to each other and talk, but with Sheena, he actually embraces her.

2e5.gif

#27106 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

Retcons for days.

The hindsight of the story is pretty telling when they do something and fans don't like it. As soon as the fans say "I think Boruto should be more like so and so or they should change so and so" they change it entirely.

Look how they retconned Himawari having the Byakugan all of a sudden when in the beginning she didn't have it because "Kishimoto forgot." So they made news rules and were like "Oh yeah, she always had it. She just had to unlock it," but Hyuga are supposed to have it as soon as they are born. Heck, Kishimoto even said that a Uchiha Hyuga crossbreed should have both a Byakugan and Sharingan so we know, according to Kishimoto's idea of genetics, that even a half Hyuga will 100% guaranteed have a Byakugan.

Too bad they don't do the "I believe this is all a Infinite Tsukuyomi and they are going to wake up and finish the fight for real" advice people gave.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#27107 jak123

jak123

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:28 PM

Retcons for days.

The hindsight of the story is pretty telling when they do something and fans don't like it. As soon as the fans say "I think Boruto should be more like so and so or they should change so and so" they change it entirely.

Look how they retconned Himawari having the Byakugan all of a sudden when in the beginning she didn't have it because "Kishimoto forgot." So they made news rules and were like "Oh yeah, she always had it. She just had to unlock it," but Hyuga are supposed to have it as soon as they are born. Heck, Kishimoto even said that a Uchiha Hyuga crossbreed should have both a Byakugan and Sharingan so we know, according to Kishimoto's idea of genetics, that even a half Hyuga will 100% guaranteed have a Byakugan.

Too bad they don't do the "I believe this is all a Infinite Tsukuyomi and they are going to wake up and finish the fight for real" advice people gave.

See I'd start watching again if it turned out that they were in the Infinite Tsukuyomi and that's the reason all the original characters seem miserable.

#27108 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

Yeah absolutely. There's some serious fan trust issues here. Seriously - why wouldn't they screw over readers in the end? Makes it hard to get into the series...even if it was good!  :lol:

Amen to that, Tricks! :lol:

I don't hate Boruto (just) because of "Naruto's" ending, but because Boruto himself killed any likability he might have had, and everything else built up around him is just not really interesting. I'm not given any good reason to root for him or most of the others and to keep any close watch besides "they're the main characters", and even if Boruto and others were to become better people down the line, it clearly did not establish enough reason for us to experience that journey alongside them; they pushed us away from doing so at the beginning.

Exactly, he doesn't have what had made Naruto likable by comparison, since even for his prankster nature, Naruto was really adamant to prove himself, and he really had a good heart to him, like how even with his initial intent with posing as Sasuke, you see how he was touched to realize more and more why he loved Sakura, since she was just like he was in wanting acknowledgement, and all he wanted to do was for people to stop looking down on him just because of who he was.

Boruto is just a spoiled brat, even if it doesn't really help how Naruto comes off like he uses his work as an excuse given some of the stuff with his "family" costing him in many ways. Even before he "became" Hokage, it felt as if that his wife and kids didn't leave him with much happiness as could be, given the things we SAW.

#27109 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:08 AM

https://youtu.be/NgZyhH35hM4

Terrible Writing Advice: Love Interests. Got some Hinata flashbacks

Edited by RulesofNature, 18 February 2019 - 12:08 AM.

iSP2FNe.png

Just making your day a little brighter.

#27110 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:26 AM

Retcons for days.

Honestly it was too funny that he forgot his own lore. Like I can't even be mad about how stupid it was that he didn't recall the technicalities of a MAJOR clan that HE created lmao. 

What's truly disturbing was how easily fans accepted that slip up and went with it as if it was totally rational, when deep down they probably know that he either 1) made them up in the middle of the night or 2) he just didn't care enough to you know, care.  :down:

#27111 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:45 AM

Honestly it was too funny that he forgot his own lore. Like I can't even be mad about how stupid it was that he didn't recall the technicalities of a MAJOR clan that HE created lmao. 

It's not the most uncommon thing really. George R.R. Martin actually has a person who he consults on established ASoIaF lore, mostly because of how much lore there actually is. I've said it before that one of the manga's failings is that it's in service to the anime, as in it's establishing ideas and characters that can be fleshed out more in filler episodes. Just goes to show how little care Kishi was with his story, as the "fluff" parts (like the parts about how horrid and dehumanizing the ninja system is, or Rock Lee) of the story only serve to undermine what he did go with.

iSP2FNe.png

#27112 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:27 AM

https://youtu.be/NgZyhH35hM4

Terrible Writing Advice: Love Interests. Got some Hinata flashbacks

And already apologists trying to say it doesn't apply to Naruto.

2e5.gif

#27113 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:29 PM

And already apologists trying to say it doesn't apply to Naruto.

Makes sense. Many of TWA's episodes can be applied to Naruto.

iSP2FNe.png

#27114 TheFirstEvil100

TheFirstEvil100

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:Reading and watching Naruto, play on my PS3 playing on my Pokemon games mainly Pokemon X right now I also like watching good Horror films.

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:51 PM

Lol, I needed to share this which I found not sure where to put it, but it's too funny.

LIw8krV.gif?noredirect

I like to think that this is what they could be saying.

Naruto: I'm the new generation of hero, one that will love the shy girl that has always loved him, while not knowing, but secretly longing for his rival to love him WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME SASUKE!

Goku: Whoa how strong are you, and who is this Sasuke he sounds weak.

Naruto: HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ABOUT MY BEST FRIEND, MY BROTHER, THE ONE I LOVE MORE THAN WHAT'S HER NAME AGAIN RASENGAN.

*Hits Goku in the face* Goku: Wow you call that an attack.

#27115 KClaws_2

KClaws_2

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:59 AM

So...WatchMojo has a list of Top 10 Worst Things Naruto has done. On the thumbnail they have that Chunin exam moment with his son.

You know, just in case anyone is interested.

#27116 TheFirstEvil100

TheFirstEvil100

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:Reading and watching Naruto, play on my PS3 playing on my Pokemon games mainly Pokemon X right now I also like watching good Horror films.

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:17 AM

So...WatchMojo has a list of Top 10 Worst Things Naruto has done. On the thumbnail they have that Chunin exam moment with his son.

You know, just in case anyone is interested.

Ive seen it too, but I havent watched the video yet, but I think we all know what Pro-Enders are going to say.

#27117 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:15 AM

Ive seen it too, but I havent watched the video yet, but I think we all know what Pro-Enders are going to say.

Went through comments and was so predictable.

"You don't know what you're talking about!"

"You clearly didn't watch Naruto!"

"What Naruto did wasn't neglect!"

"Naruto was just trying to teach his son a lesson!"

"Naruto did nothing wrong!"

"This isn't real life! It's THEIR world!"

"What's wrong with punishing cheating?"

....and so on.

2e5.gif

#27118 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

Just watched it and yeah... it makes me hate Boruto's dad even more. It makes me wanna go over to Konoha and kick the living sh** out of him.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#27119 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

What's truly disturbing was how easily fans accepted that slip up and went with it as if it was totally rational, when deep down they probably know that he either 1) made them up in the middle of the night or 2) he just didn't care enough to you know, care.  :down:

Yeah so, did they ever even address the bird seal of the hyuuga clan? Or did it just conveniently go away? 

I know it's a nice fan-ficcy thing to attach to Hinata, but I don't ever remember her making a stand about it against her father and clan history. (If it was in the anime, then I didn't see it.) And just because Naruto beat up/won over Neji, doesn't mean he won agains the bird seal. Neji wasn't from the main family, so it didn't matter what he said. But I don't think Hinata's sister Hanami had to have it, yet I don't remember it ever being talked about again after the first half of the mange. They've conveniently forgotten all about that bit of Hyuuga family cruelty as part of the legacy that Naruto married into.

#27120 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

Yeah so, did they ever even address the bird seal of the hyuuga clan? Or did it just conveniently go away? 

I know it's a nice fan-ficcy thing to attach to Hinata, but I don't ever remember her making a stand about it against her father and clan history. (If it was in the anime, then I didn't see it.) And just because Naruto beat up/won over Neji, doesn't mean he won agains the bird seal. Neji wasn't from the main family, so it didn't matter what he said. But I don't think Hinata's sister Hanami had to have it, yet I don't remember it ever being talked about again after the first half of the mange. They've conveniently forgotten all about that bit of Hyuuga family cruelty as part of the legacy that Naruto married into.

The resolution was later when Hiashi went begging to Neji. The reason its gets ignored is because its doesn’t matter to the central plot. It deserved a mention and quick explanation, because it was there and was a big deal for those characters. Do we even know who is the head anymore? A formal resolution did need happen, but then that is my recollection of Boruto in a nutshell. It just plain sucks when it comes to details. It left all sorts of gaps that made people look worse than intended. My personal favorite was the paperwork in the early going. Tell me what it is and maybe I can understand Naruto’s position, it doesn’t so I can’t. Saying “paperwork” just doesn’t cut it.

TBH, a true resolution of that situation could be its own story given how clans like that functioned and all the vested interests likely at play. That Hiashi or Hinata comes in and says no more seal is not likely just to be met with “okay” from the the rest of the main branch. I once had a fanfic idea based on that, but then that never got off the ground.

But then, I think thats what the sequel should have been. The what comes next (i.e. the early years of Naruto’s life as Hokage). Like the clan, being ninja was a way of life and the livelihood of many. That would required more effort and risk that I think Shonen Jump wanted to put into it.

P.S. Isn’t her name Hanabi?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: naruto, wtf, discuss

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users