#41 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jul 3 2010, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and, since I'm not really a fan of the American comic book scene in general (though I often like the animated shows produced from said comics), I wouldn't have known any of this if I hadn't, literally just minutes before seeing Vyse's post, been trawling for data on Superman's family to settle an argument)

Superheroes aren't the only comics around, you know; there's plenty of stuff outside of the superhero lines.

It helps superhero resurrections when the legal wrangling over whether the people writing about him have the legal rights to write about him have been resolved.

Yeah, that was a relatively large mess. The legal battles over Superman continue, but as far as I know the Superboy stuff has been resolved.

Edited by dl316bh, 03 July 2010 - 08:37 AM.

bd5.jpg

#42 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Jul 3 2010, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Superheroes aren't the only comics around, you know; there's plenty of stuff outside of the superhero lines.

It isn't superheroes that bothers me -- if it was, I wouldn't like the animated and live action superhero shows\movies like I do. It's the revolving door of authors and artists that all try to stamp their own marks on each series they work on, setting their own tone which may or may not be anything like the parts of the series I started enjoying it for -- i.e., classic too many cooks syndrome. That, or it's trying to continue the comic long past the point it makes sense to resolve everything, or relaunching the series to update it to modern times, or whatnot. Both are things not just superhero comics do, but seemingly all American comics (at least non-indies) do -- just look at Archie....

At least, with the TV versions, I can reasonably assume that they won't suddenly change tone and style of the work too dramatically and\or suddenly without also changing the title as well. I can't say the same for any comic book series I ever tried to follow....

(okay, okay -- the one comic book series I followed that I wish had been brought back was Justice League Antarctica. Can't get enough of that reformed supervillains battling demented mutated penguin vibe....)

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#43 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

Well, with Archie it's understandable. Those are comics mainly for kids; and from what I hear, kids still eat them up to this day. So the pretense of continuity or resolutions isn't really important there.

It's the revolving door of authors and artists that all try to stamp their own marks on each series they work on, setting their own tone which may or may not be anything like the parts of the series I started enjoying it for -- i.e., classic too many cooks syndrome.

Interestingly, that's part of why I love it. A lot of reinvention and wild ideas. Some things just don't work well outside of comics. Your heroes never really die and someones always got a new take. Besides, that's usually just superheroes (outside of books like Conan the Barbarian, but honestly who can get enough of a ruthless barbarian).

But hey, that's not for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that; but American comics have made a good deal of progress outside of superheroes as well to the point where that's nowhere near the only option these days.

Both are things not just superhero comics do, but seemingly all American comics (at least non-indies) do

Well, you mention non-indies, but that's really the crux of it; indie comics have grown more and more over the years - to the point where it's not really a word for comics no one sees so much as a descriptor for stuff outside the superhero lines - and there's something for every taste. A lot of them also end satisfactorily. Hell, DC has a line called Vertigo that's removed from the DC Universe books; they have plenty of comics running there (Chew is a recent hit) and several in the past that have ended (Y: The Last Man, which is widely considered a modern classic). Some of my favorite comic miniseries have come from the Vertigo line. They do quite a few crime books as well. Image is no longer that guady company that was the forefront of the 90's affronts to comics; they have a lot of indy stuff there as well. There's Top Cow, Boom! Studios and so on. You'd be surprised.

Edited by dl316bh, 03 July 2010 - 09:37 AM.

bd5.jpg

#44 Tsunade

Tsunade

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Interests:People.

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (krisk @ Jul 2 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT:
hope you don't mind op, I added a fan-edit I picked up to your first post.

love it waaaay more.

Same here! *gives it a thumbs up*

Personally the only woman that could pull off the biker jacket IS Black Canary. lol I <3 her fishnets.
secondly I don't really care anymore... YAY BATCAVEMAN! <3
Tsu.gif

#45 TheBerserkMoogle

TheBerserkMoogle

Cute and Fuzzy. Deadly too.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

Am I the only one that likes the biker jacket? sad.gif

#46 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (TheBerserkMoogle @ Jul 3 2010, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only one that likes the biker jacket? sad.gif

I like it. I don't see why so many people have issue with it.

#47 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

I don't mind it really. I think, at some point, they might make a call-back to the old WW outfit though, something like "Like I'd ever be seen with this." kinda thing. It'd be funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users