The Pirate Bay founders are jailed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

BBC News article: Court jails Pirate Bay founders

This was a real landmark case. It's been said that there are possible consequences for other search sites, such as Google and Youtube, but I think that's unlikely since the Pirate Bay openly advocated breaching copyrights. They even published C&D letters from companies on their websites and publicly flipped them off.

This case has really divided opinions, and I'm sure this is a long way from being over!

#2 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

Wow this is a huge turn in the case..

I'm anxious to know how the courts will deal with it. It could determine our piracy future!

#3 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

I can honestly see this ruling get overturned. The whole internet piracy thing has been going back and forth for a decade now. And it usually follows this thing someone makes a major ruling and then that ruling get overturned because another Judge has a different opinion.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#4 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

I hope it sticks. The internet has become far too easy a place to steal new things and get away with it. Piracy and torrenting will likely never die, but it needs to be curbed. Besides all that, I love seeing smug pricks get hammered; and the boys at Pirates Bay are as smug as they come.

Edited by dl316bh, 17 April 2009 - 07:51 PM.

bd5.jpg

#5 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:45 AM

Well if this sticks, It can lead to more crack down on Fan-Subbing and scanslation sites. Like how napster cases caused the basically the drying up of even free streaming music.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#6 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Apr 17 2009, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if this sticks, It can lead to more crack down on Fan-Subbing and scanslation sites. Like how Napster cases caused the basically the drying up of even free streaming music.

Thant true but I think they get permission before hand to do that stuff.

#7 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Apr 18 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thant true but I think they get permission before hand to do that stuff.

No. In fact, most fansubbing is illegal.

Edit: Forget what I said. ALL fansubbing is illegal.

They're taking copyrighted RAW anime files from companies and subbing it. There isn't 'permission' asked for. They're taking copyrighted stuff and subbing it.

We enjoy it sure, but the industry loses money. (That's why we buy box sets when they come out, to support the industry.)

Edited by Cloud, 19 April 2009 - 01:20 AM.

#8 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Apr 18 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. In fact, most fansubbing is illegal.

Edit: Forget what I said. ALL fansubbing is illegal.

They're taking copyrighted RAW anime files from companies and subbing it. There isn't 'permission' asked for. They're taking copyrighted stuff and subbing it.

We enjoy it sure, but the industry loses money. (That's why we buy box sets when they come out, to support the industry.)

Oh sorry my mistake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users