Close
Photo

Designer babies...is it ethical?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Designer babies (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we 'design' our own babies?

1. Yes (3 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

2. No (20 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

3. Unsure (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Vote

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

Watch vid here

#2 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

well, I say in certain extents it is ethical, but also not. I know my child was screened for certain genetic diseases like downs syndrome. So on that side, making sure your child is healthy and such is always a good thing. Now if your going to go out and go pick and choose feature ya want, then that isn't so kosher. I can see it turning out like Gundam SEED with its Coordinators. People with money picking to have their children stronger, faster, and smarter. Whereas the poor and ethical would have natural children that maybe couldn't even compete.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#3 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

No!
This is just weird, kind of, and would not be cool to ask "Hey mom/dad, did you pick out what features you wanted on me?"

#4 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:31 AM

Say what??? Then where's the surprise?

Ever seen the movie Gattaca? Almost exactly the same concept and the ending didn't turn out so well for them... It shows what would happen if that had become acceptable. Except during the time of the movie's release not many people understood how that worked and so the movie was not that popular. Now with all the research and stuff, people should understand it better and probably see the message that "it's not as good as it may seem" and that these are "possible outcomes and circumstances."

Besides... pretty soon we're gonna have a pretty messed up world with pretty people running all over the place and then you won't be able to distinguish who's a celebrity and who's just pretty XD

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#5 psycho666

psycho666

wub

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:15 AM

Hmm, well in a strictly diplomatic sense, this is an extremely useful thing coming to light. If people can now determine an unborn babies natural physical functions then we could potentially create armies of physically athletic, strong and capable people to improve our nations population. Winning the Olympics, and most especially our military strength would improve. Ethically, this is going to turn into a huge controversy. Since it really is only a step away from cloning if we advance with this and we know from years of experience in science fiction comics and future dystopia based manga, that artificial copy of life can ruin the world.

Personally, I am a little torn on whether this is wrong or not. I do think it is a little messed up that parents can change their child into something perfect and pretty when they should just be unconditionally elated with what they get. However, I really don't see what we would be offending here. If we can soon have the ability to control our own appearance and physical attributes, that is absolute power. The main argument will be that it's a terrible crime against God, but if we can manipulate what we are in its scientific essence, God doesn't have much say in the matter anymore.

But, we'll have to see where it goes.

(Just think, in a decade or so: Super people man!)

Edited by psycho666, 04 March 2009 - 04:16 AM.

#6 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Mar 4 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, I say in certain extents it is ethical, but also not. I know my child was screened for certain genetic diseases like downs syndrome. So on that side, making sure your child is healthy and such is always a good thing. Now if your going to go out and go pick and choose feature ya want, then that isn't so kosher. I can see it turning out like Gundam SEED with its Coordinators. People with money picking to have their children stronger, faster, and smarter. Whereas the poor and ethical would have natural children that maybe couldn't even compete.

Exactly my train of thought with the addition: Will you still treasure your child if he/she comes out not as ou expected? like... say, you want blonde child with big blue eyes like the mother but instead you got brunette with green eyes, will you still love them or instead be disappointed by them when they didn't even get to choose how they look like.

Edited by BlackLightning, 04 March 2009 - 06:38 AM.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#7 SageNaru

SageNaru

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Anime/Manga and Vidya

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:55 AM

It's weird but I'm not entirely against it. i really think you should just have your baby without messing with it...that sounds weird... facepalm.png

#8 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

I saw this last night on ABC World News.

And I find it disturbing... customize your own child like clothes, home accessories, etc.? mellow.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#9 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Derock @ Mar 4 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw this last night on ABC World News.

And I find it disturbing... customize your own child like clothes, home accessories, etc.? mellow.gif

I know, right?
"Sir, would you like blue or hazel eyes?"
"Hmm... can he have green eyes?"
"Yes he can, sir!"

#10 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

No, I would NOT like the idea of going into a clinic and picking out how I want my child to look.

Children are not fashion accessories.

A child is one of life's real treasures, and you should be able to love them, no matter how they look. Plus, some of life's best things are better left as surprises. I wouldn't even want to know the gender of the baby until he/she was born. happy.gif

#11 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

I think it's fine... as long as it's (relatively) perfected and made available to the general public (Note: general public... not everyone).

Human beings always strive to better themselves (usually through science). This is no different.
Pretty bored.

#12 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Mar 4 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's fine... as long as it's (relatively) perfected and made available to the general public (Note: general public... not everyone).

Human beings always strive to better themselves (usually through science). This is no different.

I am in agreement. As long as they have proper screening, I am not adverse to the idea.

#13 Melancholy Vixen

Melancholy Vixen

I had a feeling

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:29 AM

I'm not one to argue over ethics... I just...

I mean, "customizing" a child takes all the fun and surprise out of it. D: Why would you WANT to design a baby? Wouldn't it be more of an experience to watch them grow on their own with natural, mixed up genetics from their parents? I sure as hell wouldn't do such an awful thing to my child. I'd never be able to forgive myself...

"Oh yeah, Danielle, I made sure you had blond hair and brown eyes because I think they look nice."

D<

Edited by Vixen, 11 March 2009 - 02:29 AM.

#14 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE (Vixen @ Mar 10 2009, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Oh yeah, Danielle, I made sure you had blond hair and brown eyes because I think they look nice."

D<

Yea but...

"But on the other hand I made sure you're not diabetic or have down syndrome. So, score!"

Edited by Onionhead Attacks, 11 March 2009 - 05:15 AM.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#15 jim1982

jim1982

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (Onionhead Attacks @ Mar 11 2009, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea but...

"But on the other hand I made sure you're not diabetic or have down syndrome. So, score!"

they already screen for that (at a hefty 900+ for the tests, but that is on top of the other costs of having a child tongue.gif) I think they idea is not about designing the child to be healthier, but tailoring the kids looks and abilities to fit the parents whim. I mean who goes out and says: "I wish my kid is but ugly with some horrible genetic disease." we all have genetic quirks, if we eliminate them, we might as well be playing the Sims or second life or something to that effect.

#16 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Mar 11 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they idea is not about designing the child to be healthier, but tailoring the kids looks and abilities to fit the parents whim. I mean who goes out and says: "I wish my kid is but ugly with some horrible genetic disease."

I honestly really don't see what's so wrong with that, but that's just me happy.gif

#17 Melancholy Vixen

Melancholy Vixen

I had a feeling

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:08 AM

I wasn't really referring to that. 'XP

But yeah. Preventing diseases like that WOULD be pretty nice...

#18 jim1982

jim1982

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Mar 11 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I honestly really don't see what's so wrong with that, but that's just me happy.gif

So your saying if you had the choice, you would "design" your future offspring to have just the right hair color and eye color? or picking the gender and such.

Or are ya talking about designing them to be healthier over all <=== no probs with that

#19 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:04 AM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Mar 12 2009, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So your saying if you had the choice, you would "design" your future offspring to have just the right hair color and eye color? or picking the gender and such.

I wouldn't mind it.

The only problem I see is that people are either pretty unoriginal (i.e. a lot of kids will start looking like variations of one another) or they're too original (i.e. you might get some weird looking kids).

Oh, and I guess if you're allowed to choose the gender as well... you might run into a problem of having too many girls/boys at some point in time.

Edited by Unknown Entity, 13 March 2009 - 04:06 AM.

Pretty bored.

#20 Destiny

Destiny

Queen of the hard hitters!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:43 AM

What bothers me most is that people want their kids to look "normal" and want their kids to be what society says is "pretty." PUKE. What is normal anyway? There is no such thing.

I think it devalues life to some extent. My personal opinion. My child's going to be whatever decides to pop out of me and I will love it all the same, no matter its intelligence, beauty, goofiness or health because my "normal" will not be my child's "normal."

Edited by Destiny, 13 March 2009 - 05:43 AM.

Love is everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users