266 replies to this topic

#201 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:52 AM

Might want to spoiler tag that bro, this is the discussion for the TV show and not everyone has read all of the books.

Edited by Muffins?, 05 June 2015 - 05:53 AM.

JLHza2T.png

#202 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Might want to spoiler tag that bro, this is the discussion for the TV show and not everyone has read all of the books.

The thread is dark and full of spoiler.

#203 MoonDrop04

MoonDrop04

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

Yeah sorry bout that 😓 I figured everything about the books was common knowledge by now

#204 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:42 AM

spoiler

Think fans would like that??

Not really, at least I wouldn't like it ...it would feel a bit like an asspull

I wish they follow the books at least a little in this one scene, also I think it's safe to say

spoiler

Edited by Nar123, 06 June 2015 - 12:43 AM.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#205 MoonDrop04

MoonDrop04

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:26 PM

I wish they follow the books at least a little in this one scene, also I think it's safe to say

spoiler

Damn back to the drawing board 😭

#206 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

spoiler

response

ナルサク

#207 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:38 AM

I can't defend the show. Not this time. This time, they went too far. Even if they wanted to do this plotline, go this route, they could have done so in an infinitely better way. But nope. They followed up Hardhome, one of the best episodes of the show, with probably the worst episode of the show.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#208 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:48 AM

Stannis you were the chosen one ;_;

I will not abandon the mannis until the winds of winter...if he does the same, at least it might set up Davos to join Rickon and unite the North under the Stark banner.

Spoiler

Edited by Muffins?, 08 June 2015 - 08:58 AM.

JLHza2T.png

#209 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:07 PM

response

Since D&D said "the first and last scenes of the DwD are totally in the show" my guess is they either end it the way you suggested or:

Book/Show Spoiler

I can't defend the show. Not this time. This time, they went too far. Even if they wanted to do this plotline, go this route, they could have done so in an infinitely better way. But nope. They followed up Hardhome, one of the best episodes of the show, with probably the worst episode of the show.

I know we've had our disagreements over the show/book, but I'm glad you said this because it helps me know I'm not just upset as a "book guy."

I had a few really specific issues with this episode. I'll try not to talk about the books too much, but I will in as vague terms as possible.

Maybe Book Spoilers

#210 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

Speaking of signing books... as I was in the post below...

For all of you who are enjoying OUTLANDER, the marvelous adaptation of Diana Gabaldon's time travel novels that just finished its first season on STARZ... well, the show is terrific, but the books are even better (as is so often the case), and we have AUTOGRAPHED COPIES of the whole Outlander series and the 'Lord John' spinoff books as well available via mail order from the Jean Cocteau Bookshop 

If you haven't been watching OUTLANDER, you're missing a terrific TV series. Gorgeous to look at, and the performances by the three leads are terrific. Tobias Menzies, who played Brutus on HBO's ROME and Edmure Tully on GAME OF THRONES, is especially noteworthy in a double role. (I just hope we'll be able to get him back, if and when D&D decide to return to the riverlands).

#211 MoonDrop04

MoonDrop04

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

Well.........now I want the red hair b***h dead 😑

I know they were foreshadowing this moment happening with stannis having his "daddy" moment and the She-Devil (forgot her name :argh:) asking for a sacrifice to the God of light........just didn't think they would actually do it, Much Less SHOW IT!!!!

Now it makes me think that the She-Devils next target for a sacrifice will be Sansa after being rescued from the Boltons O_O dammit...

#212 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:11 AM

D&D totally assassinated  Stannis character...wtf

Maybe Book Spoilers

1- I think they did that, not just as a shock factor, but as a foreshadowing for the way Arya will use to approach him, just like the " Mercy " chapter with Raff

2 and 3- totally agree

#213 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:44 AM

@nar123
D&d said that grrm told them that shireen would be burn. I got this from asoiaf forum.

The question is will the same thing happen in the next book by Stannis or melisandre?

#214 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

D&D totally assassinated  Stannis character...wtf

1- I think they did that, not just as a shock factor, but as a foreshadowing for the way Arya will use to approach him, just like the " Mercy " chapter with Raff

2 and 3- totally agree

I think you are right about #1. I just think it went too far, you know? Like, they could have been subtle and had Arya overhear Trant talking about the brothel and his particular proclivities. The "bring a fresh one tomorrow" line and how it was set up just seems gratuitous to me.

@nar123
D&d said that grrm told them that shireen would be burn. I got this from asoiaf forum.

The question is will the same thing happen in the next book by Stannis or melisandre?

They did. But I suspect context matters significantly. I don't doubt the event will happen in some manner, but it felt unearned about OOC on the show.

#215 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:32 PM

I think arya will kill trant and make that assasin give her punishment or perhaps blind milk, and that's where she awaken her warging ability.

#216 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:29 PM

I think arya will kill trant and make that assasin give her punishment or perhaps blind milk, and that's where she awaken her warging ability.

I think they'll drop her warging ability. They reduced her to angry whiny kid killer who wants revenge and nothing more. :<

Anyway, I haven't seen the episode. I think I'm slowly dropping the show. I just watch clips I find interesting. Like Shireen's burning, I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. What they did to Stannis was even OOC for his show character, that's how bad this is. Now I admit he's a very cold, yet not evil person, but Shireen is a but a little child and his only heir. In the show he has a warm relationship with her, in the books he tells his men to put her on the throne in the case of his death. What confuses me is grrm approval. D&D ruins his work and turns his message upside down, and he defends them.

ナルサク

#217 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:31 AM

DId GRRM really defend them? 

I mean, D&D just told us that GRRM planned on having Shireen was going to be burned in TWOW but...did GRRM really defended their idea of having Stannis burn Shireen? 

Edited by Nar123, 11 June 2015 - 01:30 AM.

#218 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:32 AM

I mean, D&D just told us that GRRM planned on having Shireen was going to be burned in TWOW during but...did GRRM really defended their idea of having Stannis burn Shireen? 

To make sure, you should see behind the scene the after episode 9.

I don't like child killing, but since the setting of this book and show is in the crapsack world, that kind of thing is expect.

Personally I don't know if grrm defend it.
If stains truly do that, then it would be explain in the book.
I think his character is more Grey than good, unlike jon, dany, or tyrion.

@sushi
I think they will show it. It's a powerful ability after all.
I think, arya can't become a nobody, as long as she keep her needle.

Edited by rocci, 10 June 2015 - 01:34 AM.

#219 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

I mean, D&D just told us that GRRM planned on having Shireen was going to be burned in TWOW during but...did GRRM really defended their idea of having Stannis burn Shireen? 

According to d&d, it was grrm's idea. :confused:

ナルサク

#220 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

According to d&d, it was grrm's idea. :confused:

I don't think it's that simple. D&D said, "when Martin told us about THAT..." "That" is very vague. I think there's enough evidence in the books to suggest that SOMEONE is going to burn Shireen. But the context will be entirely different. I would bet that Mel independently makes the decision rather than pressure Stannis to do so.

D&D have shown they have no problems broadly interpreting Martin. I think they did it here.

Also, Martin is throwing tons of shade at the show:

THIS exchange in the comment section of his blog is great.

I suspect that "Maegor III" was a mistake, though I cannot say for certain. Perhaps a flubbed line, as you suggest. It is true that the Targaryen succession on the series is different than the one in the novels; most notably, the Mad King's father Jaehaerys II was dropped, as was established way back in season one. In much the same way as the Rhoynar have been dropped from the royal titles, "King of Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men," etc.

These changes were simplifications, however. The books are very complex, but the practical limits of a television series call for a bit more simplicity. Dropping a king or two accomplishes that.

ADDING kings, however, would be a step in the opposite direction, which is why I think "Maegor III" had to be a mistake. And not one that was in the scripts, I would guess. Bryan Cogman, who is the Keeper of the Continuity on the series, knows the names of the Targaryen kings as well as I do.

Of course, it could also be a subtle bit of characterization, as you suggest, intended to show that Mace is an idiot who does not know his Westerosi history. (Not a mistake that Book Mace would make, but the character in the show combines Mace with Harys Swyft, and actually seems more like the latter).

All this, of course, is surmise on my part. You would have to ask David or Dan or Bryan for a more definitive answer.

In the book canon, of course, there has only been only King Maegor, the reputation of Maegor the Cruel being so black. England has had only one King John, for much the same reasons. (Prince Aerion Brightflame did name his son Maegor, but that was meant as a provocation, and in any case the boy never sat the Iron Throne).

As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users