• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#21 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Apr 20 2011, 06:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'd be surprised how ignorant some people can be when it comes to food... sweatdrop.gif For the majority of people, food comes neatly packed in the local supermarket, and they don't see the need to find out about the actual process.

Thanks for the link, enjoyed the second chapter. smile.gif It feels like a relaxing read so far.

Character profile --Click here to view--

Looking at Hachiken's mini-profile on page 6, it seems his main reason for enrolling was because the school had dormitories. I wonder if he was trying to get away from his home/family?

Oh, and we're starting to see why the manga has its name! Maybe we'll find out more about its significance soon?

I think it has been mentioned in chapter 1 that he enrolled because he think it will be easy to get to the top grade at the new school, not the dormitory.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#22 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (alexander @ Apr 19 2011, 04:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's more about ego, with him bragging that he was the best of the best on his school, while on the more high roller schools, he would be nothing but an average wimp.

BTW, chapter 2 is already out: http://www.mangaread...ilver-spoon/2/2 It seems that unlike FMA, this series is weekly, and amen for that. Well, the chapter itself was great, but just how naive is the main protagonist? He don't even know were chicken eggs come from? I wonder if he had biology classes...

I'm still wondering how he didn't know that; once we knew where babies came from as kids, we all had a general idea of where young animals and eggs come from. And even if it was covered in kitten, it wouldn't matter since he wouldn't be eating the shell anyway.

#23 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:28 AM

People don't really think, "Oh, this egg I'm eating for breakfast came out of a chicken's ass (actually cloaca)," just, "food, eat." Once people start thinking that, "This egg came out of a chicken's ass.... IT CAME OUT OF A CHICKEN'S BUTT!" It may add a squick factor to it.

Also, sometimes, knowing about it and seeing it in person can make a lot of difference to certain people..... Ugh, now I just thought of Balut. sick.gif

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 20 April 2011 - 02:30 AM.

#24 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Apr 20 2011, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People don't really think, "Oh, this egg I'm eating for breakfast came out of a chicken's ass (actually cloaca)," just, "food, eat." Once people start thinking that, "This egg came out of a chicken's ass.... IT CAME OUT OF A CHICKEN'S BUTT!" It may add a squick factor to it.

Also, sometimes, knowing about it and seeing it in person can make a lot of difference to certain people..... Ugh, now I just thought of Balut. sick.gif

Yeah, just like when you go to an slaughterhouse and see many bulls getting killed, you won't feel like eating meat for an while. But the main issue here is that he looks like he have no idea were eggs came from before seeing the real thing.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#25 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

Just take my word for it when I say you do not want to see how hot dogs are made.

#26 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Whatever comes to mind

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Apr 20 2011, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just take my word for it when I say you do not want to see how hot dogs are made.

(gross out warning) I don't know about other countries but... --Click here to view--
...in Canada, Hot Dogs can include up to 5% sawdust, because there is absolutely no way you can avoid sawdust going into the product because of it presence in the abattoir (slaughterhouse). I knes someone whose job it was to identify foriegn objects in foodstuffs and she had volumes which told her what could be in what and how much. Some of it was really gross like mouse poo and insect parts lol

Edited by Verilance, 21 April 2011 - 01:16 AM.

Yotsubato! - Enjoy Everything!

#27 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:09 PM

I think this manga was intended to be something straight out of a sunday comic strip you see in a newspaper. Something not too serious but just some lighthearted comedy that makes you feel refreshed everytime when you read it.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#28 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

Chapter 3 is out for those who like the Manga, not really my thing, the whole farm industry and all, but it appears to have gained some interest.

iAnby7W.gif

#29 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Apr 22 2011, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this manga was intended to be something straight out of a sunday comic strip you see in a newspaper. Something not too serious but just some lighthearted comedy that makes you feel refreshed everytime when you read it.

Well, it is being serialised in Shonen Sunday. wink.gif

QUOTE (harry4e @ Apr 22 2011, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chapter 3 is out for those who like the Manga, not really my thing, the whole farm industry and all, but it appears to have gained some interest.

I liked this chapter as well. happy.gif

I knew Hachiken would have to get up early for the horses. XD Horses are very high-maintenance, and it's hard work. On the upside, horses are beautiful creatures and riding can be relaxing.

I wonder if the YuAki fanclubs are starting to spring up yet? tongue.gif

The character designs are still entertaining. First we have an Armstrong lookalike as the PE teacher, then we have the chicken manager who looks like a chicken himself, and now we have a Buddha.

#30 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

I LOLed when he discovered he had to wake up an hour earlier than before.

#31 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Whatever comes to mind

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Apr 22 2011, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very interesting comment, whether it is tue or just apocryphal, the founder of Weekly Shonen Sunday named it that (despite the fact that it comes out on Wednesday I believe) because he wanted the readers to have the feeling of Sunday when they read it, as you said light hearted and entertaining.

Yotsubato! - Enjoy Everything!

#32 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:23 AM

Yeah, but the thing is, most of the other Sunday mangas aren't like that, some of them are even action-oriented (which isn't exactly lighthearted). I think this might be the reason why Arakawa got accepted in Sunday. Because Silver Spoon is exactly what the founder envisioned to be for Sunday. Putting that aside that aside though, I wouldn't put it past Arakawa to have a pretty deep plot later on in this manga.

248793.jpg

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#33 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Apr 23 2011, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, but the thing is, most of the other Sunday mangas aren't like that, some of them are even action-oriented (which isn't exactly lighthearted). I think this might be the reason why Arakawa got accepted in Sunday. Because Silver Spoon is exactly what the founder envisioned to be for Sunday. Putting that aside that aside though, I wouldn't put it past Arakawa to have a pretty deep plot later on in this manga.

Hmm, good point about the Sunday mangas.

I wonder if the club will become a major part of the manga? I don't think Arakawa will make Silver Spoon as deep as FMA, but I do think she'll focus on Hachiken and his future aims. We're also waiting to discover the meaning behind the silver spoon at the café! Maybe when Arakawa sheds some light on that, we'll be able to make a better guess about the future direction of the manga.

#34 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:35 AM

Just letting you all know that Chapter 4 has been out for a while, in case you missed it. happy.gif

Silver Spoon 4

I know exactly what it feels like to ride on a horse, and this manga has done a pretty good job of putting that across. biggrin.gif

Hmm, Hachiken and Mikage spending Golden Week together? I wonder if Mikage just wants to take Hachiken out riding?

Loved the moment the Holstein Club grab Aikawa. XD

I'm guessing that what the principal means by Hachiken having no dream as "good" is that he can open his mind and find something he likes, instead of trying to push himself down a pre-planned route? You know, experience life without blinkers on?

#35 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

@Smiter: The only thing I've gotten out of Riding Horses is total loss off control and sore balls (a few of my girl classmates complained about sore breasts from riding the horses, don't know how that happened).

Just joking though, I was bad rider tongue.gif

I also can't help but notice that Mikage seems to be looking more like Rose from FMA.

The principal seems interesting. I'm curious to see how he will guide Hichikata (that is his name, right?) through the school. I'm guessing he likes the fact that he doesn't have a dream because in his view it means he's giving himself a lot of options.

#36 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

Ah.... so that's what the principal meant. I was confused at first, but now I get it, thanks for clearing it up, guys!!! biggrin.gif

248793.jpg

#37 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Apr 29 2011, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also can't help but notice that Mikage seems to be looking more like Rose from FMA.

Aside from Mikage, this other girl at page 15 really actually does look like Rose.

Also, best horrified face ever. 3rd row, right panel. It's just begging to be used as a meme or demotivator.

#38 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:56 AM

I'm curious. Is it really raw egg that they put on top of rice? Or is it slightly boiled? Anyone know? I wanna try it sometime.

Of course, I don't want to get salmonella.... sad.gif

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 09 May 2011 - 01:01 AM.

#39 Kush

Kush

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

Does anyone know when the next chapter is coming out?

#40 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ May 9 2011, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious. Is it really raw egg that they put on top of rice? Or is it slightly boiled? Anyone know? I wanna try it sometime.

Of course, I don't want to get salmonella.... sad.gif

Yep, it's raw egg. Here's info on the dish:

Tamago kake gohan

Raw eggs CAN be eaten, as long as they were handled correctly (incorrect handling increases the risk of salmonella). However, it's still not recommended for people who are susceptible to salmonella:
They can also be eaten raw, though this is not recommended for people who may be especially susceptible to salmonella, such as the elderly, the infirm, or pregnant women. In addition, the protein in raw eggs is only 51% bio-available, whereas that of a cooked egg is nearer 91% bio-available, meaning the protein of cooked eggs is nearly twice as absorb-able as the protein from raw eggs.

Oh, and here's some advice - if you want to use cold rice, only use cold rice that's been stored in a fridge! If rice is left out for a while after cooking, it can quickly become toxic. So, cook the rice, let it cool a little, then quickly put it in the fridge.

QUOTE (Kush @ May 9 2011, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know when the next chapter is coming out?

Probably within the next few days. happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users